A not-so-complete rebalance of x3 weaponry, prompted mostly by my desire for capital ship combat to last longer.
Since the minimod applies only to weapons, missiles and shields, it can be installed and uninstalled without concern for savegame integrity. Feel free to try it out without risk.
Watch the trailer! This is just a neat video I put together. The footage is dated, but it's all from the mod.
Download Here and extract to your X3/Mods directory. Then start up the plugin manager, go to the mods tab, and click Add Profile. You should see Bulletmodv09 in the dropdown tab. Make sure that all the scripts you want to use (esp. including the XTM pack) are checked as part of the profile!
Alternatively, you can extract the RAR to the X3 directory, and rename both files to whatever number comes after the other stuff. This lets you use it with other mods, but is more difficult to manage.
Uses XTM 0.7.3 files as its base.
* Greatly prolonged capital ship combat
* Capital hulls actually matter!
* Graphics tweaks
* Lasertowers that dont' blind
* Dumbfires that don't suck
* Long range anti-capital missiles
*10gj shields can actually recharge this century
After months and months of on-again off-again playtesting and tweaking, I finally felt it was time to at least post this. Probably could have done it months ago - oh well!
There are a few graphical changes. I feel these improve the game but I can change or revert them depending on feedback. It is easy enough to do yourself if you desire.
Quick Guide to Bulletmod, in order of importance to gameplay.
* PPC hull damage has been reduced by roughly 80%. That sounds like a lot, and it is. However, the net effect is that it takes about as long to destroy the hull of a capital ship as it did to destroy the shields.
* PPCs fire about half as quickly. I did this for graphical reasons and because I felt that capital combat was still slightly too fast. Partially to compensate, PPC bullets are much faster than they used to be. GPPCs consume energy roughly as fast as before, but APPCs and BPPCs consume energy at a lower rate.
* This means that capital ship combat is more difficult in every respect. The AI is much less sensitive to hull damage than the player; it's harder to dodge and the player must be more mindful of weapons energy. Make use of missiles in order to finish ships off once the shields are down.
* PPCs use the CIG effect. I like it better. I can revert or post a version with classical PPC shots if this doesn't float your boat.
* HEPTs have had their hull damage reduced by a much lesser degree so that they don't obsolete PPCs. AHEPTs aren't badly impacted, but it does mean that it's tougher to destroy enemy fighter hulls.
* PBE bullets move much slower, but they still have about 100% hitrate. This change is mostly graphical.
* Lasertowers fire far more powerful beams, but they take a long time to recharge. This is mostly because I was annoyed with the blinding effect multiple lasertowers could cause.
* Dumbfires move at EXTREMELY high speeds, but self destruct quickly. This both makes them more useable and limits the annoyance of rogue dumbfires. Dumbfires have also had their damage increased, except for the Tornado which went down. The AI actually can hit you with them now, though it's still rare.
* Anti-capital torpedoes (Firestorm and Hammerheads) work much differently. They have top speeds of 500+, but their acceleration is poor. They are incredibly dangerous to use at short range, but at long ranges they move much faster. Firestorms accelerate slightly faster, but Hammerheads still do more damage.
* Rapiers are improved.
* Heavy Missiles (from HMGs) move very, very quickly. Their hull damage is also reduced, but to a far lesser degree than PPCs.
* EMP cannons have reduced hull damage, but they will still melt you pretty quick.
* Wasps use a different trail effect. I liked the standard XTM wasps, but you usually don't get to actually see it owing to optimization by the engine. This missile effect is less flashy, but far more consistent. Wasps also self destruct more quickly to prevent humongous wasp swarms from causing slowdowns. This limits their range to < 10km.
* Flaks use a bullet effect. The bullet lingers a bit while the flak explosions go off, but overall I like it better since you can see the projectiles.
* I'm sure there's other **** I forgot.
FULL CHANGELOG, starting from version 0.1
If you like everything but one change, I can post a customized version or tell you what to change back pretty easily.