I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther
      Blog Entries

The rooftop will be adjusted, i'll take care of that, trust me No need to be disappointed. It just consists of a lot more parts than you may expect, and the top has several parts. The original texture is exactly 2048x2048 pixels widewith almost no spaces left, so you can imagine, that the parts up there are roughly 20% of the ship model. To give everyone a chance to reskin the model without a lot of hassle, it needs to be kept a bit simple. What should go where, and what it should look like is a question to be answered after collecting all suggestions

Technically its just a matter of adjusting colors, which can be made in half an hour. To change the color from blue to dark green on the roof is just a matter of marking the texture parts and pressing two buttons. The real deal behind the ship skins are the ideas, that's what makes them unique and customized.

XTM: Flottenmanagement/Fleetmanagement
      TC: Hud Mod(EN/DE)/Bullet Mod(EN/DE)/Start Mod[DE]/Start Mod [EN]
      Fleetmanagement #3
      Mein neuester Blog Eintrag:
      PiratePack Mod [DE/EN]
      Thanks Neurotoxin thanked for this post
      Likes Neurotoxin liked this post

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

pulzarokkit      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded

If noone objects i would like to submit another lame texture (and Neurotoxin submitted 2 skins too)

Presenting the Black Hands pirate Falcon, sworn enemy of the Yaki, the day will come when the Black Hands reclaim Tortuga.
      Since again i dont' have the base skin i "imrpovised" some metal. Since the Black hands are supposed to be weakened and (at least i think) some roaming pirate gang i gave them some banged up skin old-rusted look.
      As for the "black hand logo" i don't think anyone will mind and i don't think that is under some copyright.

Attached Images Attached Images
      Thanks Trooper1994, Neurotoxin thanked for this post

Credits
      is without status

I am:
      Hungry

Total Contributions For

K.J.      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded

That's... erm... complex. I'm still struggling to develop some decent technique to generate bump maps, and those bump maps are absolutely critical on larger objects to get a good result. Repainting something is only a part of ships, for example, the caps are using almost the same texture sizes (2048x2048 ), and also, they don't use tiled textures. Tiled textures are a lot more easily to handle. Also, it'd need to adjust the LOD textures. Currently i'm using only a single layer in the textures, the vanilla models have up to 15 different ones, but unfortunately the program i'm using isn't able to handle layers with different sizes as a volume map.
      The LOD-textures are called Mip-Maps. You would be insane to hand-adjust these A DDS-exporter should allow you to create Mipmaps as an Option (Photoshop DDS Plugin does it, not sure about GIMP or DXTbmp, but they should too). Be sure to have "create Mipmap" enabled when exporting. As long as you do that there should be no big performance impact, a Codea fleet likely uses multiple ships of the same type, which is unproblematic because the texture is only loaded into memory once.

Painting capital ships won't work without modifying the model. They use tileable textures, so if you would paint a skull somewhere on the texture you would have the skull repeated several times over the model. That looks pretty daft. It could also be that the skull is cut of on an edge. And if you wanted a different color you would have to modify 5+ textures.

I adjusted a Split Dragon sometime to be able to have custom paints, i'm not sure if i still have the files. In case i do i'll give them to Galder, for another competition (which is a neat idea btw). Might take some time though, i'm not at home for a few weeks

As for creating normalmaps - check out this article. You basically draw a heigthmap based on your texture. Stuff that is raised is lighter, recesses are darker. Then you use the normalmap filter (which exists for gimp and photoshop).

Here's how to make a X3 bumpmap out of a normalmap
      Quote Originally Posted by K.J.
      If you look at original X3TC bumpmaps you notice that they are just grey+ have another grey image in the alpha channel. I'm not exactly sure if you can just use the normal map as it is. You could try. To make it the "real way" i.e. the ES way, you have to extract the green and the red channel from the normal map.
      Open it in photoshop or Gimp and disable blue and red channel. Now you will see a grey image, like in the ES bumps. The channels refere to different axis, blue is z-axis (put of the picture), red is x (left & right) and green is y axis. So, extract the red and the green channel seperately, read: copy the grey image and save it somewhere else (as tga or bmp for example). For ease of use i recommend dxtbmp, its a free and simple to use converter. Now open the red channel with dxtbmp, apply the green channel as alpha map and save it as .dds (DXT5)

Last edited by K.J.; 01-03-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Neurotoxin, NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given), Galder Points for Reputation (Received), Lucius Vantarius Points For Dislikes Given thanked for this post
      Likes Neurotoxin, NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given), Galder Points for Reputation (Received) liked this post

Master of Awesome LUMBERJACKING (NC's Victim #2.. >:D) Neurotoxin's Avatar
      Credits
      is hurrrrrrrr

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Neurotoxin      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded

An adjusted texture that I reworked from the original military variant of my skin (not the pirate one you applied). This one has been designed to suit the placement of 3D objects protruding from the spacecraft moreso than its predecessors. Perhaps you could give it a go later.

Falcon.jpg

I want your boats.

Guide to Independent Nomadic Piracy
      Guide to Building an Empire, the Pirate's Way

A New Dawn (ongoing interactive story) > Participation Center / Wiki

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by K.J. View Post
      That's... erm... complex. I'm still struggling to develop some decent technique to generate bump maps, and those bump maps are absolutely critical on larger objects to get a good result. Repainting something is only a part of ships, for example, the caps are using almost the same texture sizes (2048x2048 ), and also, they don't use tiled textures. Tiled textures are a lot more easily to handle. Also, it'd need to adjust the LOD textures. Currently i'm using only a single layer in the textures, the vanilla models have up to 15 different ones, but unfortunately the program i'm using isn't able to handle layers with different sizes as a volume map.
      The LOD-textures are called Mip-Maps. You would be insane to hand-adjust these A DDS-exporter should allow you to create Mipmaps as an Option (Photoshop DDS Plugin does it, not sure about GIMP or DXTbmp, but they should too). Be sure to have "create Mipmap" enabled when exporting. As long as you do that there should be no big performance impact, a Codea fleet likely uses multiple ships of the same type, which is unproblematic because the texture is only loaded into memory once.

Painting capital ships won't work without modifying the model. They use tileable textures, so if you would paint a skull somewhere on the texture you would have the skull repeated several times over the model. That looks pretty daft. It could also be that the skull is cut of on an edge. And if you wanted a different color you would have to modify 5+ textures.

I adjusted a Split Dragon sometime to be able to have custom paints, i'm not sure if i still have the files. In case i do i'll give them to Galder, for another competition (which is a neat idea btw). Might take some time though, i'm not at home for a few weeks

As for creating normalmaps - check out this article. You basically draw a heigthmap based on your texture. Stuff that is raised is lighter, recesses are darker. Then you use the normalmap filter (which exists for gimp and photoshop).

Here's how to make a X3 bumpmap out of a normalmap
      Making MipMaps by hand would be interesting
      No, seriously, i know that. the problem is, that the MipMaps for the X3 game requires different sizes. The largest one is 2048x2048, the next one 1024x1024, then 512x512 and so on. The problem is, that the GIMP plugin isn't able to handle MipMaps with a different size, afaik. Maybe there's a solution in GIMP, i don't know...
      We have discussed that performance problem often. I agree with you, that the texture wouldn't pose such a big problem in memory and size, but it may be a problem in terms of displayed ships. I fear that the multiple times displayed texture may eat up a lot of unnescessary cycle times, and it would pass through the bus bottle neck, which was causing troubles before. It may not, if haven't tested literally hundreds of similar ships, as i don't use Codea. Max ship count was 30 of the same in one sector, and it wasn't that bad. I'm just careful, pointing out that it may cause some fancy sparkles coming from the HDD

For the Dragon texture... that'd be very much appreciated. But it feels a bit wrong, because it's your texture. Why not starting a second thread with that texture? If you don't have the time to convert the uploaded user images, i'd be glad to help and post the images. Why, how and what would be included in what mod can be sorted out later on, and a reskinned M6 would be pretty unique. My only concern is that it should be clear that the idea is yours, not mine (and a neat idea, i must say ).

XTM: Flottenmanagement/Fleetmanagement
      TC: Hud Mod(EN/DE)/Bullet Mod(EN/DE)/Start Mod[DE]/Start Mod [EN]
      Fleetmanagement #3
      Mein neuester Blog Eintrag:
      PiratePack Mod [DE/EN]
      Thanks NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given) thanked for this post
      Likes NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given) liked this post

Credits
      is lucky to be alive!

I am:
      Hungry

Total Contributions For

superdave      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded
      Blog Entries

so i was flying around an unknown sector and i found a place that would plate my whole ship in gold for the equivelant in nividium... i figured what the heck, other than selling ships full of it ive already sold all the nividium i could to the different vendors that would buy it, so i went for it.
      x3screen00007.jpg
      suppose i should have paid the extra and got them to scrape the rust first lol (*before anyone asks, no such place exists, this is a very quick texture i did as a result of playing around with the reflectiveness of the model, but i like the result!)

Also, i hope im not over stepping my bounds here but ive made a full texture model with the blue scrubbed out so that it can be changed to any color for use with ships that have textures that clash with the original blue top on the ship.
      unique_teladi_M3_diffNO BLUE.jpg

"Speculation is as speculation does, i guess"
      if hydrogen is a flammable gas, and oxygen accelerates fire, why isnt water explosive?
      Thanks Neurotoxin thanked for this post

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

thedada86      £ 10.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded

Anybody else thinking about a Beatles song?
      Ok, not really yellow, no submarine...but is somehow crossed my mind.

Thanks superdave thanked for this post
      Likes superdave liked this post

Credits
      is lucky to be alive!

I am:
      Hungry

Total Contributions For

superdave      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded
      Blog Entries

Oh I wonder if I could pull the yellow submarine off... Or a "not quite the same enough to get sued for" facsimile lol

"Speculation is as speculation does, i guess"
      if hydrogen is a flammable gas, and oxygen accelerates fire, why isnt water explosive?

Mokonzi's slave.... :p NovaCatt's Avatar
      Credits
      is looking for my next victim...
      I've already done Mangar &
      Neurotoxin, so who's next?
      >:D

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given)      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded

Hiya Peeps,

I can answer that question for ya, superdave..
      It's already in the game... it goes by the name: Argon Centaur.....
      I mean seriously, has anyone not looked at it & not wondered why it looks like an old post ww2 submarine?

Oh sure, ES (Egosoft) may have added a few spikes (antennae, etc) here & there, as well as add a block of whopping great rocket engines on the rear end of it, but still, the 1st time I saw it in X3:R, my 1st thought was: "Hey, that looks like a sub!! Cool!!"....

Admit it.. we've all thought that same thing the 1st time we saw it... (admittedly, maybe not those exact same words, but still..... )

Cheers & Thranx

Last edited by NovaCatt; 05-03-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: reworded slightly for better clarity....

Want to view some great screenshot's?
      -->> Click Here <<--
      Want to find some great info on various ships & stations in the X series? -->> Visit the TXU Wiki <<--

Thanks King of the World, Neurotoxin thanked for this post

Credits
      is feeling nostalgic

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Solitas      £ 0.00
      Total Downloaded
      Total Downloaded
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NovaCatt View Post
      "Hey, that looks like a sub!! Cool!!"....
      I was like:``What the lol? A sub? Hmmmm......``

Thanks NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given) thanked for this post
      Likes NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given) liked this post