I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

krm398 Points For Likes Received      £ 15.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Thumbs up Andromeda + X...Galaxys Collide

The X universe meets Andromeda Ascendant

Chapter 1: Trouble Returns

Captain Hunt was hanging on his console for dear life while the Andromeda Ascendant was taking a huge beating. The enemys kept coming, one wing after another and none of their calls for help were getting answered.

“I thought you said the Tenations are friendly, their planet is right there...” The Captain Rebbecca Valentine asked as Dylan looked less than happy to be reminded.

“They called us here to discuss being added as possible entrants into the New Commonwealth, but they aren't acting like they care right now,” Rommie said, and as the 'ship made flesh' she saw everything the ship saw, and more.

“Well guess what?”Becky asked as Dylan didn’t even ask,” this was a setup, and even someone as stupidly honest and trusting as you has to be able to see that.” Finally Dylan nodded it was true and asked Rommie to get them out of there.

“To where? They have both slipstream portals blocked, and we cant run through them, not now.” She added as he looked more sorry than any time lately for rushing in to talk peace without checking first.

“Launch all remaining drones and try and break through,” he ordered as Rommie said they were all gone, they launched them minutes ago. “Slip fighters then?” He asked as she shook her head no and he looked seriously pissed.”Then what are our options?”

“We could go out in a blaze of glory, taking all of oh, say...” she mentioned and looked at their weapons display,” 4 others with us. Or we could try outrunning them but they're smaller ships and we don’t really have much chance there either.” She went on as he looked like he would scream, she was on one of her teasing spells, her way of reminding him they had waited too long and just about no options were available.

“What about a random slip?” Becky asked as they all looked her way and couldn't believe she could even ask.

“If we managed enough power to slip, and have no idea where it ends, then we're just as likely to jump right into a star, or other natural object, but if we survive it, we'll be stuck somewhere, probably unknown space.” Rommie reminded them as another salvo hit them and smoke was rolling out of consoles all around.”Talk fast times about up.”

“Slip, now.” Dylan decided as they held their breath and opened the slip portal with their remaining power and the ship slipped from normal space into the void of passages and trails in subspace that made up the slipstream network they all used everyday. The ride was a rough one with people asking when would be a good time to try stopping and finally, Rommie dropped out of slipstream for the best reason yet, they ran out of power to drive it.

“Well we're still alive, thats a start,” Dylan mentioned as they started scans to see where they were and what they could do to get back again.”damage reports?” He asked as they were still getting worked on and Rommie and Becky looked more serious than even he had seen lately.

“Armor is at 30% engines are off line recharging, and even if they were working, we have no idea where we are or where to go next. It'll take days to get a proper heading from here, wherever here is.” She went on as Dylan looked sad he asked.

“It better be friendly, because all but 2 point defense turrets are gone and we have no fighters or drones. We threw everything we had at them back there, I hope their satisfied.” Rommie mentioned as everyone just nodded as Harper called from somewhere down below.

“Is it safe to come out now? There are fires everywhere, where are the android repair crews?” he asked as Rommie checked and more than half of their android crew were down, either broken or destroyed.

“Do your best Shamus, that’s all I can say,” She added as he started ranting and she cut him off and the entire crew started working to put out fires and get repairs started, something that out here, wherever that was, might take a very long time.

Meanwhile a sector away a lone corvette stopped at the last outpost on the frontier and dropped off the cargo they were carrying. The war with the Terrans was still going strong and cargo carrying ,not usually his job, was paying enormous dividends as Sam Silarn sat there smiling that he had done so well in such a short time. But suddenly something happened that would change his life and he wasn't even aware of it yet, as his ships scanners picked up a powerful subspace surge not too far away and after thinking about it for a minute, he decided that it was worth investigating and they pulled away from the equipment dock and started out into deep space.

They flew for a few minutes at best speed and as they did a small speck started growing on his screens and his eyes popped as they stopped a dozen miles out, to see a monstrous ship sitting there, obviously hurt badly, but too massive to even consider attempting to board. He waited and no coms link came in so he made the call, and waited to see who they were and why they were way out here.

Chapter 2: New Friends

Sam tried three times and when he was about to give up a screen came on and a man, as massive as the ship, appeared and Sam smiled his patented smile and welcomed them to Argon space.

“I am Captain Sam Silarn, trader, and who might you be?” He asked as Captain Hunt introduced himself and his ship and Sam smiled and nodded as he asked if they needed any help.

“Thats a little obvious isn't it?” Dylan asked sadly as Sam smiled and agreed. Even he has had some days like this and he could empathize with this new man.

“Argon space? Never heard of it, but then we're a long way from home.” Dylan said as Sam smiled.

“Do you need some help, I can have a crew beam over and help with the fires if that’s OK with you.” Sam offered as Dylan thought about it but decided that having unknown marines on board might be one of those things he'd hear a lot about later.

“I think we'll pass on that, my crew is getting things under control.” Dylan said not too convincingly, as Sam smiled and agreed, having strange people running around your damaged ship might cause a real problem,and he didn’t want that either.

“A trader you say? Once we get this under control maybe we can do some business,we'll be needing a few things to get her back up to speed.” Dylan said as Sam smiled wide, now he was talking and he agreed and said he'd check back with them in a few days, and Dylan nodded and left the link to fight fires even on the bridge, before someone else found them.

Two days later they were sitting around eating the last of their rations, or at least all that survived the fires and talking about what they needed and what they had to trade.

“Some real food would be nice,” Harper said looking a little upset to be eating the same rations again today.

“And some maps and details about where we are.” Dylan mentioned as they all agreed.

“While all that is true how about weapons or missiles or armor repairs or...” Rommie started as everyone just waved for her to stop. It was true they were hurting badly but they had little or nothing to trade as Dylan mentioned but Becky disagreed as Rommie gave her a dirty look.

“The scans of his ship showed we have a lot to trade. Their technology is at least 50-100 years behind ours.” She added as Rommie said she wouldn't think of trading her specs or specs for any of their weapons to some backward country bumpkins even for food.

“You don’t really need food but trust me, it comes in handy.” Harper added as Rommie gave him another dirty look and Dylan stepped in to say that they had a lot to offer, even old technology closer to what that ship was using now, and even Rommie thought about that as they sat there resting up after days of firefighting and basic repairs, that were just about the best they had to work with for now.

Finally they agreed that it might work and Andromeda made a list. If that didn't scare away their new friend nothing would, Dylan said looking it over as she just smiled and said she actually held back but these things were definitely needed and lots of them as Dylan agreed and they waited for the trader to return.

But Sam got some scans too and while he was waiting he gathered a few little things he knew they'd need and then started back to show them his good intentions. He pulled along side and called over and Dylan was on the link a minute later and they exchanged pleasantries, until Sam mentioned that he had seen they had some serious problems with their food supply when he was here last and Dylan agreed, as 6 meat steak cahoonas beamed on board and some wheat and other food stuffs that made at least a few people there happy.

“People cant negotiate on an empty stomach,” Sam mentioned as Dylan agreed and thanked him for planning ahead.”Now what else can I get you?”

“I have a list, sending now,” Rommie said as he looked and looked and it went on as he blinked and some of these things he had no idea what they were and he said so.”If you have questions ask, and I'll explain it to you.”

“Good that'll help, thank you,” Sam added still looking a bit overwhelmed when he saw something that he definitely understood.”Missiles, what size or type, we specialize in missile warfare.”

“Good, you might be helpful after all,” Rommie added as Dylan quickly stepped in before she insulted their friend any worse.

“Missiles for defense, mostly, maybe big enough to destroy fighters that would be helpful.” He added as Sam thought about it and mentioned they had 3 sizes of fighters and that was a big difference in missiles, so they decided that a small assortment would help them decide, and Sam made a note of it.

“Drone fighters, it says here, we have fighter drones, small autonomous fighters but not very powerful is that what you mean?” Sam asked as Dylan explained they had full sized fighters that they ran remotely, and Sam nodded he understood, even some freighter captains had tried that even now, with varying results.”Small, high speed fighters with little shields, medium fighters with average weapons and shields or heavy fighters, with the best of both?” Sam asked as Dylan looked overwhelmed by now himself.

“One of each, to see what they are,” He heard from someone in the background and Sam smiled and agreed saying with the war on, there were fighters in various conditions that he could get cheaply, and they agreed. Of course he didn’t say he was a salvager himself, and had salvaged and sold dozens of fighters, mostly M5 fighters before this, after all a good trader has his supply secrets and he smiled and Dylan approved.

“A war you mentioned, is it close to here?” Dylan asked as Sam smiled and said no, the war was quite far away and Dylan was glad of that at least.

“But war has a habit of leaving a lot of good materials behind. I get a lot of free stuff to help pay my crew,” Sam mentioned as Dylan nodded that he had seen people do the same thing, war is very wasteful after all.”OK, then I think I have enough information for now and you have some decent food that will last you a while, so I'll go and get started, I should be back with some equipment in a few days.”

“We'll be waiting,” he heard as Dylan smiled and when the link went down he asked why she just didn’t do all the talking herself, as Rommie got her nose up and said she didn’t talk to barbarians, and Dylan laughed and they went for a good meal for a change.

So many ships, so little time

High Tension Thinker AKA Genius at work krm398's Avatar
      Credits
      is 61 years old and dieing off
      slowly

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Chapter 3: Salvage

Sam jumped right back to the core sectors and soon was gathering missiles after the last skirmish. He was doing pretty well,and he laid some back for the assortment he promised and then he parked his corvette and moved over to his TM class and moved the missiles as well. Then he started again, flying through sectors where battles had occurred or sometimes were still occurring, and he found one Rapier, and got that on board and his marines started repairs on it while he went looking for something else. It took less than three days to gather dozens of missiles and 4 small fighters and then they jumped back and made their drop while Dylan and Andromeda watched the little ships come on board and dock.

“Damn, he was serious,” She whispered as Dylan smiled and she tried not to see.”I'll check them out and see what we need to do to get them up and running, but they seem pretty good.” She said and was gone while Sam called over and said the missiles were coming, and crates full were beamed in while Dylan stood back all smiles and saw their new friend was a man of his word.

“This will help, thank you Sam, but we still haven't ask what you want from us.” he added as Sam laughed and Dylan saw it coming from a mile away.

“That,” Sam said pointing as Dylan smiled and said that Andromeda was not for sale at any price.”oh I don't mean that literally, I mean a set of blueprints for a smaller version, maybe 1/3 that size. My ego has a limit you see.” He added as even Dylan got a good laugh and said he'd see what it would take and Sam agreed that he'd keep gathering until they came to a deal on it, and he went away again as Dylan made his pitch at dinner time and Becky said she knew that would be it while Andromeda totally refused his offer and Dylan was stuck somewhere in between.

“Come on, Rommie we control what goes into the BP and he gets what he wants a smaller look alike, what do you say?” Dylan said as she finally saw that many of her secrets would not be getting given away.

“Even then we need a lot of supplys and weapons and repairs so it's not going to be cheap or easy.” She said very serious as Dylan agreed and they finally had a counter offer and when Sam came back they discussed it again.

“A ship 1/3 this size, same basic design but not our very latest technology,we have certain rules about that type of thing and besides some of the materials we use aren't even available here, from what we can see.” Dylan mentioned as Sam thought about it for a minute. The same design but not their very best, but he was pretty sure even a hundred years behind them they were better than much of the stuff they used today and after a few negotiations about turrets and hanger space, it was a deal.

“20 million in ships, weapons and repairs,” Rommie said seriously as Sam's face dropped and she stood there very tough looking.

“That's going to take a while...” Sam said very softly as she nodded saying it would be worth it she guaranteed it, and finally he agreed and he sat back to start the total from what he had dropped off so far. 4 light fighters, 20 assorted missiles and food, his total...1.5 million...so far, as Rommie looked at it and asked if he wasn't starting out a little high, and he reminded her missiles and fighters are expensive and she saw maybe her offer was too low, but agreed.

“But from now on, you can't charge us full price for fighters that aren't fully equipped,” She got in as Sam agreed and she made sure he knew that every load would be dickered about and he left again looking more than a little worried as she looked victorious and Dylan sat back laughing, seeing that Rommie might have met her match in this trader and he didn’t mind at all. They had weapons, missiles and fighters and so they weren't helpless anymore, and that made his week.

Rommie got a call a day later and Sam asked what this 'tritanium hydro..something' was as she looked sad.

“Armor plating for repairs,” she mentioned as he said 'ah'...and she waited again.”we cant give you the advanced armor you need but...we have something called Teladianium, that we use. Its not your advanced stuff but its good compared to your basic armor, from my scans.” Sam mentioned as she saw the specs and agreed it would work.

“How many panels do you need?” he asked and without a second thought she said 100, and he nodded without even showing emotion and the link went closed on his end as she looked somewhat impressed.

“Hull panels are coming,” She mentioned as Dylan smiled and Becky looked a lot more happy. Some areas of the ship were off limits right now, open to space from holes made during their last battle and this was going to help a lot.”It appears he's not too proud to ask for help.”

“You have to give him a little credit, he's working on it, even though that list was pretty impressive itself.” She mentioned as they had a rest and talked about what they'd do when the repairs were done.

“I still need repairs to the electrical system, many scanners are off line. We can see people coming and going even from this far away, but scanning to see where we are in the Universe is a totally different thing. I need the quantum scanners on line and we need outside work done and many more repairs before we can even attempt it.” Rommie said as Dylan nodded agreement. The fact they were slowly getting better helped moral, but the truth was, they had a very,very long way to go.

Chapter 4: New things

Sam was back the next day, and started beaming in the hull panels when Rommie stopped him.

“Take them back and send them...here.” she said as Sam looked at the new spot and nodded and sent them to the new area. “and we need some basic electrical parts, like this one..” she said and sent him a small burned part which he scanned and then agreed.

“All exactly like that one? No other parts need replaced?” Sam asked as she said yes, many others but that would be a start as Sam stopped what he was doing and then asked if their parts replicator on board was destroyed too as her face looked a little more tense.”you do have a parts replicator don’t you?” he asked as she mentioned that it was probably on the list, as he looked sad. It most certainly was not, as he knew.

“Lieutenant,” he called over his shoulder,” pull out the small parts replicator in the engineering section and send it over. Once you get that installed, you'll be able to make your own small electrical parts on board.” Sam mentioned while Rommie admitted that they did need a new one.”And send them two repair beams.” Sam mentioned while Rommie looked a little embarrassed and he finally smiled.

“Nano repairs in a beam, for small repairs, mostly electrical that are too small for humans to do, or sometimes even see.” he added as she finally thanked him for the explanation.”just have your engineers give the spot a quick spray and let them work. It might take a little while but they get every tiny detail right.”

“We could use a couple of those, they're expensive right?” Rommie asked thinking she saw a scam coming but Sam just smiled and admitted that they weren't and she smiled for him for the first time.”Then it's settled we need 4.”

“No problem, I'll drop two now and get the rest. The hull plates are in and I need to know what you think about that missile assortment I gave you.” He said as she nodded very seriously.

“Against some small fighters they might work, but do you have anything a little more...beefy?” she asked as he looked up and asked how beefy she needed.”think attacking your ship only a dozen times at once.” She added as he huffed out a huge breath and she saw he was finally getting the message.

“Beefier it is..” he said and a few more were sent over and she scanned them and while still not equal to their old missiles these would do a lot more than the little first ones. “better?” he asked as she nodded but said maybe a little bigger yet, and he saw that silkworms still weren't enough and he agreed, but now she had 6 new missiles and even a ship the size of his wouldn't scare her for a while at least.

“Alright then now we're up to mobile warheads,” Sam mentioned as she asked what those were and he sent her specs for a couple, one antimatter and one regular nuclear and she smiled a lot and he saw a sale.”how many of those do you think?”

“Now these are expensive right?” she asked as even Sam smiled and agreed.”a dozen for now until we get our repairs done.” She said and didn’t seem too happy about it and he agreed and added them to his list.

“OK, I'll be back,” he said and was gone again as Rommie stood there on the bridge looking shocked while Dylan asked her what was wrong.

“They don’t have our slipstream technology yet, but they're actually ahead of us in a few areas, that’s a real surprise.” She added as he asked for more info and then went to see Harper getting the little machine set up, and the repair beams that he took out for a test and smiled the whole time. In all the universe every civilization works on different things at different paces. In the old Commonwealth they had millions of supply bases everywhere so they had all the parts they needed any time or place but here, where pilots traveled much slower they had invented new things to help, and they were helping them for sure, as Harper went nuts making parts that they needed and Rommie smiled more after that day when the nanos brought back several systems and her abilities started to return.

Finally the android repair crews got some of the new hull panels on and sealed. Now they could actually get into the hanger bays safely and as they walked in to check the place, Becky walked over and lovingly patted her old freighter and talk to it like it missed her.

“Maru, baby its good to see your still in one piece.” Becky went on while Dylan mentioned she was way to attached to that old ship, and she reminded him that it helped get them through a few rough scrapes and he then did admit that having it around helped a few times.

“You know I was thinking, if theres weapons and ships just sitting around for the taking like Sam said, maybe I should go look and help us get restocked.” She added with a big grin.

“This isn't our areas, and with a war going no they'll shoot you on sight.” Dylan reminded her but she just waved it away, saying she had seen worse, and that since she owned the old ship, she could do with it what she wanted.

“We wont be coming for you if theres trouble.” Rommie added as she agreed and grabbed Harper and took off, out looking for treasures.

“that was quick, “ Dylan said as they started back towards the bridge.

“She can smell money, and that’s all that matters to her.” Rommie said sadly and they hoped they'd see her alive again.

Credits
      is feeling nostalgic

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Solitas      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Loving it kev, way to go

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."-Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
      (If you want peace, prepare for war.)
      Path to Profit Vol. I-The birth of Armacorp Alpha and The Nomadic Manufacturer(concept, flaws, potential solutions)

Path to Profit Vol. II-From Scout to Commander(as soon as I make an impression of 2.0)

The Paladin Order(still working on it,....got the ``writers block again``)

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Total Contributions For

blazermick      £ 0.00

Was never a fan of andromeda as it was always on late here.

Be interesting to see how this yarn goes. Always enjoy Kev's "worlds collide" storys.

Onya Kev

A middle aged X Universe Junkie

Credits
      slowly

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Chapter 5: Money Matters

Rebecka was running full out when she saw her first fight. It was a corvette style blasting several fighters to bits and she stayed back and watched. They had some decent firepower she admitted that and when they left the area, she found two floating cargoes that she quickly gathered.

“Not a bad start, they've got to be worth something.” She said as they continued on and watched from a distance until they got to a sector with stations all around and ships everywhere and she moved slowly and cautiously and docked at a station called an equipment dock, and she showed the man what she gathered and he gave her 30,000 credits for it and she was pretty happy about that. It meant she was in a new area and not broke, so she went and looked around a while and then got into a card game and did OK there too. It looked like she was on a roll, and that’s the way she liked it, when a massive person turned to her and gave her a really serious stare.

“Woman, I don't know you, or your friend here, so take your winnings and go before I throw you out.” The big split said as she looked very upset, she was winning pretty well and her 30k had become 100 in a very short time.

“Listen pal, or whatever you are...” she started with her hand on her gun and her face set with a really serious stare,” chasing away business isn't a way to make new friends and me and my friends here were just getting started.” She said tapping her sidearm as the big man laughed out loud, and a minute later she found herself laying against the wall in the hall and people were laughing at her.

“That does it...” she said getting back up, drawing her blaster and going back in. Shots were fired, and people got hurt and when the Argon authorities came she had no ID or reason to carry a gun, and that was all they needed and she was arrested for assaulting a businessman in his own establishment, and they took her winnings and told her that she'd be in front of a judge in a few days and her and Harper sat back in their cells side by side, and she hoped they got this settled before they confiscated her ship too.

Sam showed up the next day with more supplies and got thanked for it and Dylan asked if he saw a slightly different ship around and then explained what happened.

“Your all insane, that’s the only explanation...” Sam said looking shocked as Dylan informed him they were not insane, that person was missing and even Sam got a chuckle at that one.

“But she took my engineer with her, Harper and we need him back, her...not so much.” He added as Sam agreed and asked some questions about her and what she'd do and where she'd go and soon he got a pretty good idea and he looked very upset, saying that he was being very careful not to raise any suspicions about them and now she did this? And Dylan nodded and said she was always like this but they wanted her back, and Sam said he'd look around and then he left again as Dylan looked tired and Andromeda mentioned that Becky probably would do pretty well here, and he gave her a dirty look that she just ignored.

Sam wasn't a bad guy but he knew how to have a good time when he wanted. He stopped at a few places and asked about her or her ship and on the third try he was told she was there just a day ago, selling missiles and he nodded and asked about her and the man laughed out loud and told the story about a crazy lady that pulled a gun on a split and then shot him in the leg before the security men got there to arrest her and Sam looked more tired than he had felt in years and went to the jail to see the prisoners and see what could be done.

It took some doing and some serious cash, but in time of war, small squabbles like this aren't wroth messing with. There are far more serious things going on. He won that argument and soon he was standing in front of the cells and Becky and Harper smiled and jumped up while Sam pointed to Harper and said that was him and he paid his fine.

“Wait what about me?” Becky asked as Sam smiled and asked the guard to leave and he did after a second and she looked very upset while he explained that she had jeopardized everything he tried to do for a few credits and leaving her here would be the easiest way to keep her out of trouble again.”You cant do that, Dylan will be upset if I don't return.”

“Your Captain told me quote: she took my engineer with her, him we need, her...not so much.” Sam said as she got really angry and he got right in her face at the cell wall and told her she was on her way to a Split mine for life, that’s the way Split Familys do things here, and her face fell and she wasn't as cocky after a minute.”If you get out of here, it'll be because I fix it, and if you don’t go straight back there and wait, I'll shoot you myself.” And his face didn’t look like he was kidding so she took that as a fact.

“Guards...” Sam called as they returned,” release her, and give me her weapon, I'll keep it for safe keeping.” he added and they decided that would be OK, and as they walked out together, she held out her hand for her gun and he put the belt over his shoulder and started away, and then stopped and waved for her to follow.

“They owe me 100k,” she said seriously as he looked around with a look that made her skin crawl.

“Do you know what those Split will do to you in that mine? Over and over again, until you die?” he asked as she finally started following him and they went to the docks and said to go home and if he saw her anywhere else, he'd turn her in for whatever reward might come out of all this, and she stomped on board and launched as Sam got in his ship and left before that Split bar owner found out the guards were bribed to let them escape.

Chapter 6:Restitution

Sam gathered a little more stuff and then jumped back to the ship. He called over and then beamed in personally as Rommie, Dylan and Becky met him on the docks.

“I was getting tired talking over the coms and decided to see the place for myself.” Sam said as Dylan said it was OK, but he should let them know first, as Sam laughed and nodded.

“Android security and maintenance, and only a handful of real people on board, its not something you want enemys to find out about.” Sam mentioned as Rommie made sure he knew they were security androids too and capable of using weapons.”Anyways, another load is being delivered now... and I wanted to talk to you about this last fiasco.”

“Becky promises not to go running off half cocked again. She's learned her lesson.” Dylan said as even Andromeda didn’t look sure.

“The good thing is she didn’t bring anything back, there are a dozen groups that would be very,very happy to find this ship even in its present condition.” Sam said as Becky looked a little less sure for a second and Dylan and Rommie looked her way and asked why.

“I got a few spare parts I thought the Maru could use while I was there, that’s all, nothing special.” She admitted as Sam looked absolutely livid and Dylan asked why.

“Rommie, scan for beacons or homing devices please.” Sam said as she reminded him they weren't friendly enough to have him call her 'Rommie' and he smiled and apologized for it.

“One devise detected,” she added as a android rushed to her ship to get it and destroy it.

“Its too late now, they've had plenty of time to get a lock on this spot, you've got to move to a new location. I'll send you the coordinates as soon as I get a safe place for you to hide.” Sam said as he beamed away and Dylan looked upset and Becky was babbling about it was just some igniters who knew? And they ran back to the bridge to get ready for an emergency move before these Pirates came.

“Here, go here, theres a large asteroid field to hide in and its not far away, can you make it there alright?” Sam asked as Rommie just made a rude noise and a second later they were gone.”Good, now to fix this mess.” And Sam waited for a while and a wing of fighters came running out as he smiled and asked them if they lost something.

“Stay out of this, Silarn, we're on a hunt, a split trader is paying big money to find a woman who shot him so get out of our way.” The wing commander said as Sam asked who it was, maybe he could help.

“Was there a freighter here when you came and if so where did it go, theres a nice bonus in this if you help us.” The man said as Sam mentioned that he came out here because he heard a beacon going off and he found it just floating here a couple minutes ago.

“Damn it, she found it then,” The commander said as Sam just shrugged and said they might as well pick it up, things like that are expensive and they agreed and Sam started back towards the nearest gate.”If you see an odd ship, a freighter with a blond woman flying it let us know its worth big bucks to you.” He heard and he guaranteed if he saw such a vessel he'd let them know.

That at least told him they had no idea who they were and that it was all about revenge and not some government plot , so things weren't as bad as he first thought. He ran back to see a battle going on not far away and got shot at himself, something he tried to avoid but he got one Terran fighter that just wouldn't let him alone and a local Commander thanked him for the help.

“I try to stay out of things like this but I wont let my ship get shot at.” Sam mentioned as the Commander nodded he understood. It was hard enough for the military, a private trader marked by the Terrans wouldn't have much chance.

“Everyone knows you salvage after battles, so I'll let you know, we hit a large fighter force by the west gate and there are a few still sitting, if that helps you.” He added as Sam thanked him saying a few extra missile might find their way into a battle soon, and they had an unwritten agreement.

He was as good as his word and with tons and tons of wreckage, Sam found three ships floating there, two Rapiers and a Valhalla, and he went and got his TM and gathered them and started emergency repairs. He than looked around another sector and found one more and that made a load, and he jumped away and made his way carefully to the asteroid belt where the Andromeda sat hiding.

“May I come on board?” Sam asked as Dylan smiled and agreed and he met them on the docks again as the four fighters came drifting in and took their places along one wall.

“Not bad, wait whats that one? Rommie asked as they walked over to look.

“The Terrans use several different types of fighters these are the smallest, this one is an interceptor class, the rest are basic light fighters.” Sam explained as she nodded and Dylan looked the little ship over carefully and approved.

“I'll be taking this out for a ride soon, I like this design.” He added as Rommie reminded him about staying hidden at least for now and he just smiled and said he wasn't going to go shooting up any bars and Becky looked upset he still wasn't over it.

“By the way, my total now reads just over 5 million, that right with you?” Sam asked as Rommie mumbled around a little then said maybe it was OK and he then added one thing more.”Good then add 250k to that, fines and bribes getting your crew back.”

“Wait why should we pay for her problems?” Rommie asked a little angry as Sam reminded her that to repay him Becky would have to go back to work, and Rommie killed that idea right away.

“Consider it paid then theres no way she's leaving here until we get repaired.” Rommie said as Becky stomped away and Dylan asked Sam if eh had a few minutes to talk and he agreed and was led to the rest area, and Dylan poured him a drink and they sat back to talk.

“I want to thank you, not just for helping us get some repairs but for not asking a lot of questions.” Dylan said sipping his drink as Sam tried his and looked impressed.

“Good quality stuff, better than I'm used to,” Sam mentioned as Dylan sat back smiling. He didn’t waste the good stuff on anyone he wasn't sure about, but Sam had proven himself a friend.”as far as that other thing. In my business if I asked a lot of questions I might not find much work, or have a dozen people out looking for me. Basic info is good, too much information can get you killed.”

“Fair enough,” Dylan added as they drank a little more,” let em say in our space there is also a war going on, and our ideals are being tested. Our Commonwealth is gone but we're trying to bring it back, little by little, it makes us an easy target.” He said as Sam nodded he understood, having little 'ideals' himself he saw he had the better path.

“If it helps you, now that we've met, you can always come back and get emergency supplys from me. I've added you to my traders list, under an assumed identity, and our business is strictly confidential.” Sam added as Dylan thanked him and they drank to it. Sam was up and gone a little while later and Dylan found Rommie on the bridge going over the repairs and seeing to the new fighters.

“8 that’s a full wing,” Dylan said as she agreed.”Things are looking up for us.”

“We have a long ways to go yet, but yes, repairs are coming along well, and our defenses are certainly getting better. I'll need to talk to Captain Silarn myself next time, my scans of his database showed many lite weapons we could use in our point defense system.” She mentioned as Sam smiled, she was doing her best not to like this guy and he could see why. They had made and lost many friends so far and it might just be easier to not try.

Credits
      slowly

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Chapter 7: Guns, and More Guns

In two days Sam was back with another two fighters and some more missiles she had asked for. It was quite the assortment as he pointed to a few and she scanned them seeing they were even stronger than the ones before.

“Those are Wraith, and these, Specters...they're actually enemy missiles but their good ones, so I cant go buy them at any station but as salvage, I can give them to you cheaper and still get your offense back up.” He added as she felt a little surprised, but she hid it well.

“Thats fine but lets talk guns or weapons whatever you call them here,” She started as Sam nodded and she mentioned their entire point defense system was down and she needed lite weapons to bring it back up.

“Point defense...so you have a missile defense system on board?” Sam asked and she agreed, not just missile defense but weapons for close combat against drones and small fighters and she showed him the specs and he looked thoughtful and he showed her some, and it was even a tad bit better and she approved.

“Particle Accelerator Cannons, small weapons made for light fighters and turrets for missile defense. Yours seem to put out about 550 DPS these do over 700. He added as she smiled they weren't used often for offense but when your being overrun by drones or small fighters these would definitely help.

“How many point defense turrets do you have on board?” Sam asked as she actually smiled and he smiled too waiting for her to decided what to tell him.

“Lets start with a dozen, are they expensive?” She asked as he shook his head no they weren't.” Good, a dozen then it'll give me something to work on and I can see if these specs are accurate.”

“If you were used to the old specs then these will please you for sure,” Sam added as he beamed away.

“Sounds like progress,” Dylan said as Rommie agreed and he asked her why she didn’t just tell him how many point defense turrets there were.

“No reason to scare him now,” she added as he smiled and went to check on some hull repairs the androids were just finishing up.

At dinner that night it got mentioned that things were going on pretty well.

“Hull repairs will be done by this time tomorrow, we have a few missiles, not the hundreds we need but some are pretty useful,” Rommie added as everyone agreed.”we have 10 fighters now all lights but they are going to help when we get back into combat, I'd like to see a full squadron, but that might not be possible.”

“Did you tell him what you wanted or are you just hoping it works out?” Becky asked taking a bite and giving Rommie a funny look.

“May I remind you...” Rommie started as Dylan laid down his fork and looked upset these two were starting at the dinner table again,” that we have no point defenses, no heavy weapons even though I did get the turrets up and running and very little food, we have a lot more to do before we can even think of slipping back home.”

“And is that even possible?” Becky asked as Rommie got a little quieter and everyone turned to see what she was thinking.

“It is, but not yet, we need more, of everything, if we don’t the first wing of cruisers will finish us or we'll be back here in even worse condition, so yes, I have the coordinates for the slip, but no...we aren't nearly ready yet.

“Then I say that Andromeda is doing her best for us, and when we are ready then we'll go home and see what happened to the Tenation system after we left.” Dylan mentioned as everyone agreed and finished their dinner in silence.

Dylan watched the calender, it had been three weeks since they arrived here, and things were progressing well, considering. The Argons had some interesting technology, like the little repair beams that Harper seemed to carry everywhere, and the parts replicator, something that Commonwealth starships should have had centurys ago, but never did. He was starting to feel uncomfortable with their deal, knowing that Rommie was scaling back everything on the new ships blue prints so as not to give them anything they already didn’t have, and with them taking new technology home with them, he saw that as a not too even trade.

“I understand what your saying but slip drive technology is far beyond them at this moment,” Rommie mentioned as Dylan agreed and ask what she was giving them then and she admitted her research had seen that they were just on the verge of having what they called point to point jump drives, a new system that didn’t need the gates anymore, and Dylan nodded, it was something they used before slip drives and she admitted it was very close.

“I have managed to add that to the blue prints so that it seems at least more advanced than theirs. Even our oldest plans are better than anything they have yet. So the plans I drew up will give them a small advantage, and a working jump drive system. I feel that helps balance what we're getting in return for what we're giving away.” She added as she saw even Dylan wasn't so sure but he nodded and left it go for now as a call came in and Sam was moving in to make another delivery.

In a few minutes Sam was there with boxes sitting everywhere around the dock.

“Welcome back Sam what have you got for us?” Dylan asked as Sam pointed to a bunch of crates sitting together and said those were Rommies point defense weapons and she smiled wide to see them. “12 PAC's all ready to go, and...another 5 Specter missiles, and a few more Poltergeist and Wraiths too. This brings our total to...12.8 million so far.” Sam said proudly while Rommie looked the figures over carefully and try as she might, couldn't dispute it.

“12 point defense weapons?” Dylan asked as he turned towards Andromeda and she waved him away quickly and he smiled and took Sam back to the office for another drink and they talked for a while again.

“I think your doing a good job for us, but to be honest a ship of the line like this usually carrys hundreds of missiles, many bigger than anything you gave us yet.” Dylan said having a drink as Sam admitted he thought as much,” but Rommie is worried about the deal and I see your doing your best to stretch things as best you can for us.” Dylan mentioned as Sam agreed.

“Have you ever left Andromeda and went out in a fighter yourself, to add some extra firepower to the fight?” Sam, asked as Dylan started laughing and started telling his storys of how he and his crew flew slip fighters for defense while Rommie did emergency repairs and the storys went on as Sam sat back laughing at the best of them, and saw even Dylan needed some one to talk to once in a while.

Chapter 8: Remembrance

Sam and Dylan spent some time laughing and drinking and telling storys. Sam got his share in too and Dylan was just as impressed by them. They had at least a little on common while being galaxys apart in real life. Sam mentioned that he was pretty sure that the little missiles he had dropped off were too light for some of their battles, but Dylan left him know that as defense missiles against boarding pods for example, they would work well.

“Good, but I'll see what else I can get you, if your attacking small capitol ships a lot, then you'll need more help than those.” Sam mentioned as Dylan also get in a word or two for more fighters and Sam nodded and said he'd see to it.

Their boys time out was over, and Sam shook Dylan's hand and said he'd see him soon and beamed away and Dylan went to see what Andromeda thought about the new guns. She was setting one up in the closest turret when he got there and watched as they tested it for the first time and she seemed pretty happy with it.

“We could use dozens of those,” Dylan mentioned while she nodded she understood.

“But we have a tight budget, and to be honest I wasn't sure Sam would come through for us like this.” She added as Dylan nodded and smiled.

“He's a good man, but they'll be waiting for us when we return you know that right?” Dylan asked as she nodded and went back to work, ordering the androids on to the next turret.

By now Sam and his crew were back at work. He went to a few stations looking for medium and heavy missiles but only managed to get a few. Not to mention this last month had all been about the Andromeda and his funds were getting low himself. He kept an eye out for money he could get quickly and gathered and sent back some small to medium argon ships to the shipyard while watching for more Terran ships for Rommie. She had made it clear she liked the Rapiers and Valkyries, so he was going to do his best for her while getting some money coming in for himself. He also left his crew go about gathering while he spent a day in the Teladi Exchange and made himself some more cash there.

After that it was a good night sleep and then back at it again and as they entered Treasure Chest his scanners showed a good fight going on and he took a small hit from a rapier that went running past his TM class. Sam ordered fire and the turrets came on and one of his old friends, now a military Commander called and welcomed him to the fight.

“I don’t chase enemys, but I wont let my ship take a beating either,” Sam added as the man agreed saying any help was appreciated and the little fighter went up in flames.

“There's a big one back there if you want it,” he heard as he checked his scan and it showed a Terran fighter, a Thor drifting behind the gate, getting slowly further and further away.

“Thanks, “ Sam said as he moved into position and a minute later the big fighter was on board and his men were working no it.

“You should fix it up, that alone has twice the firepower of your TM,” he heard and he agreed and then went looking for other fighters too. The fighting went on in the sector and Sam's crew got another small and a medium fighter that attacked them and Sam got a little better rep with the local Argon Navy without even trying. He also got two more Rapiers and a Valkyrie and that made him a load and his men sprayed them all with repair beams until the hulls were prefect again, and then they checked to see what they had on board and the big Thor had two cannons up front and one in the rear and Sam saw a good amount of firepower there for easy use.

“Thats worth a pretty pennie,” his navigator added as Sam agreed but he had a better idea and as they jumped back, he called over and asked to talk to Dylan and Rommie looked like she was upset she wasn't good enough as Sam laughed. Dylan was on line a second later and Sam told him his storys about daring do and death defying behavior didn’t fall on deaf ears as the little fighters landed and he pointed to the screen and Dylan saw the big fighter for the first time.

“That will get you to and from some fighting, and maybe keep Andromeda in one piece longer.” Sam said as even Rommie nodded it might be true.” Free, not a part of our deal so don’t look so upset Rommie its a gift, one crazy Captain to another.” Sam said and then turned and left, and Dylan looked impressed and Rommie stood there for a second as the TM left the system and she could be heard whispering 'I still haven't given you permission to call me Rommie yet' and Dylan went to see his new toy.

Harper and Dylan were all over the new ship. It was nice and inside was almost luxurious compared to some they flew.

“It almost has wings but not quite,” Harper said as Dylan laughed, Harper was a perfectionist and his idea of the perfect ship had to look like a airplane or something, wings were a big thing to him and the Rapiers just didn’t cut it.

“Wings heh? I was going to say I'd give you one for your use when we get home but, if they aren't good enough ask Sam what else there might be.” Dylan mentioned as Harper looked around like his life was in danger and Dylan smiled.

“I'm not allowed, Rommie made it clear really clear I wasn't to ask for anything special. I have a million things I'd like to ask him about, but...” he said with a big shrug as Dylan saw Rommie trying hard to stretch their deal as far as possible.

“You have my permission, this time, just try and made it subtle.” he said with a wink and Harper started watching the docks for Sam's next visit.

But back on the bridge Rommie had seen and heard everything and she gave a big sigh thinking Dylan was making her the bad guy here . So she did the only thing she could and called Sam and mentioned the little request and he looked thoughtful for a minute then smiled.

“Like this?” he asked as she saw a small ship flying by and it indeed did have wings with engines on the ends and she nodded and started to ask and he said no they weren't expensive and she looked upset she was so easy to read.”Just one, a special order, and I thank you in advance,” She said as the link went down and Sam saw his gift making dividends and his crew agreed. It took no time at all to find one. They were the standard for Argon light fighters and every weapon around fit them so when Sam went back a day later he called for Harper to meet him and when he did the little fighter drifted in and Harper was all smiles.

“Its a Discoverer,” Sam mentioned as Harper gushed at it,” Standard Argon light fighter, space worthy and capable of landing vertically on a planet if necessary. Its fast, this one could even be tuned up a bit but it'll get you to a from with no problem.”

“But I didn’t even get to ask you yet, how did you know?” Harper asked as Dylan looked away with a huge smile and Rommie looked embarrassed and said he shouldn't ask for anything else for a while and Harper and everyone else got a good laugh.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Total Contributions For

blazermick      £ 0.00

Not being familiar with Andromeda TV Series, i am finding this very very interesting.

I have an esp Andromeda but never use it. Might have to pull it out and check its specs again

As WE all say Kev ...... MOAR ! bloody MOAR !!

A middle aged X Universe Junkie

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Crellion22      £ 0.00

Great read but if the 1/3 Andromeda he is getting at the end proves half as good as I imagine I want one too, ya hear?

Mokonzi's slave.... :p NovaCatt's Avatar
      Credits
      is back to terrorize the forums
      once more... >:D

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

NovaCatt Points for Visitor Messages (Given)      £ 0.00
      Top of the Great Dividing Range, Queensland, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Crellion22 View Post
      Great read but if the 1/3 Andromeda he is getting at the end proves half as good as I imagine I want one too, ya hear?
      Hiya Peeps,

@Crellion22... I'm afraid you'll have to wait in line, mate....
      I got dibs on the 1st dozen off the assembly line (after kev's modest order, that is... ), then @blazermick's got a few on order & I'm sure @Solitas wants a few, as well....

Cheers & Thranx

Want to view some great screenshot's?
      -->> Click Here <<--
      Want to find some great info on various ships & stations in the X series? -->> Visit the TXU Wiki <<--

Credits
      is feeling nostalgic

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Solitas      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NovaCatt View Post
      I'm sure @Solitas wants a few, as well....
      Nah, I only want one....but....I want it painted in black and red aaaaaand instead of Rommie, I would choose a character Tifa from Final Fantasy =3

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."-Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
      (If you want peace, prepare for war.)
      Path to Profit Vol. I-The birth of Armacorp Alpha and The Nomadic Manufacturer(concept, flaws, potential solutions)

Path to Profit Vol. II-From Scout to Commander(as soon as I make an impression of 2.0)

The Paladin Order(still working on it,....got the ``writers block again``)