• Angry
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How do you set up XTC for steam?

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

porourke      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default How do you set up XTC for steam?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper1994 View Post
      Do your run the mod XTC ? (XTC=Xtended Terran Conlict) if so the olympos is the paranid battlecruiser that in a playthrough i happend to own one.

EDIT: this is a responce to porkue's question of what a Olympos is.
      At present I am playing X3 TC on apple system so I don,t think I am able to play the extended mod unfortunately have got the same on steam but not sure how to set my system up to play Extended Any help with this would be appreciated

Elder Administrator Aragon Speed's Avatar
      Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Aragon Speed Points for Reputation (Given)      £ 0.00
      Dazed and sore at the bottom of the ugly tree. YES I FELL!
      Blog Entries

*Split to new topic.*

Assuming you have TC on the PC version of steam, you can just install the mod to your steam copy of Terran Conflict and it should work fine. (Don't forget to turn off auto update.)

However, a few people cannot get the mod to work with steam for some reason, so the recommended fail-safe way is as follows:

1. Make sure your steam copy of Terran Conflict is patched to the latest version.

2. Copy the Terran Conflict folder to a new location. ("C:\games\" is a common one)

3. Download the 3.2 patch from Egosoft's website. Click for 3.2 patch download page. Install the patch to your newly copied version of TC. (This is so the main program file from steam is replaced with the DVD version.)

4. Install the mod to the newly copied version of TC. (You should point the installer to the same folder that has "X3TC.exe" in it.)

5. Start a new game.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Casazzo      £ 0.00

I just installed the XTC-Files into my steam-X3-Directory (.../steamapps/common/x3 ) and it works like a charm.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Wheatbomb      £ 0.00

In my attempt to create a new directory everything went according to plan exept for when i launched i got an error because i was missing img.DLL's
      so i transfered them to new directory. tried to launch again and got an error (missing x3config). couldnt find that file so im reinstalling the game on steam. i have a nosteam .exe for albion prelude that works fine.

but what about TC?

Or am i horribly mistaken??

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

adrianp      £ 0.00

Default Or use a Revision control system

An alternative to a separate directory is using a revision control system - I use git (under Linux but it will work under Windows). It can require a lot more storage depending upon how you install scipts/mods, oh, and of course discipline making each new script/mod a separate checkin, but it allows easier testing of changes (assuming you also take copies of your save directory at important points), by "rolling back" or branching and testing one set of scripts without one or more others.

So when a new steam version arrives, just setup a branch at your current base steam install, check it out (which will rewind any installed mods/scripts), allow steam to update this base then either cherry-pick each script/mod from the old to the new branch, or rebase the old branch on the new one (I think this works, personally haven't tried this yet). Another advantage is allowing possible conflicts to be seen as if a script is changed it can be easy to find which other mods have changed it; unfortunately with the currrent "script store", either xml or pck, the big advantage of git, seeing diffs between the different versions of scripts is wasted.

Credits
      is Late to the party

I am:
      Awesome

Total Contributions For

alt3rn1ty      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon Speed View Post
      *Split to new topic.*

Assuming you have TC on the PC version of steam, you can just install the mod to your steam copy of Terran Conflict and it should work fine. (Don't forget to turn off auto update.)

However, a few people cannot get the mod to work with steam for some reason, so the recommended fail-safe way is as follows:

1. Make sure your steam copy of Terran Conflict is patched to the latest version.

2. Copy the Terran Conflict folder to a new location. ("C:\games\" is a common one)

3. Download the 3.2 patch from Egosoft's website. Click for 3.2 patch download page. Install the patch to your newly copied version of TC. (This is so the main program file from steam is replaced with the DVD version.)

4. Install the mod to the newly copied version of TC. (You should point the installer to the same folder that has "X3TC.exe" in it.)

5. Start a new game.
      Adding a bit more to this :

I cant remember whereabouts I have seen a user having problems with this .. But I recall seeing someone finding the language of the game ( even the game launcher ) being wrong

I think steam sets up Albion Prelude ( and X3 Terran Conflict ) in the correct language, but I just found out what the problem for that user was ( happened to me making a new game setup for XTC 2.1 patch )..

In steam AP there are two lang.dat files ..

X3 Terran Conflict\Addon\lang.dat
      X3 Terran Conflict\lang.dat

After installing the 3.2 game patch before installing XTC, and then the 2.0 XTC setup, the lang.dat file in the X3 Terran Conflict\ folder gets set to 48

In my case for the UK it needs to be set at 44

So for users having problems with the game setup being in the wrong language, they can edit ..

X3 Terran Conflict\lang.dat

with notepad

And set the number to their correct language code.

X3 = Ooooh shiny!
      Xtended = "Nooo! time for work already!"

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

speedraptor      £ 0.00

Thanks for the help AM finally up and running Looks great so far