This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Loriel      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default The players' FAQ for XTC 2.0

Frequently Asked Questions

A German translation of this FAQ has been prepared by Kozaki here.

See also the FAQ in the Wiki here - unfortunately it hasn't been updated from XTC 1.x. The two should probably be combined in due course.

Q0. How do I install on a steam version of Terran Conflict?
      A. "Run the X-Tended_-_Terran_Conflict_2.0.exe file. Instead of installing XTC in the default directory suggested by the installer, install to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X3 Terran Conflict". If on an operating system prior to Win 7, remove the " (x86)" from the directory."
      (credit to CubemonkeyNYC)
      Alternatively Aragon Speed has suggested copying the steam installation to a new directory for use in XTC - see the sticky here.

Q1. I've installed it, but it doesn't work. What do I do?
      A.Check for solutions in the Technical Support Forum - post your problem there if you don't find a solution.

Q2. I've started a game, flown around a bit - what do I do next?
      A.Very important: First of all you should save your game and reload it. This is required so all scripts can initiate and start running. After this you can do whatever you like - it's a sandbox game.

Q3. The gates seem broken - how do I open them?
      A.Just wait - they will gradually open up as the various races allow newcomers into recently-discovered sectors.

Q4. How long before all the universe is open?
      A.Depends on the settings (and is probably somewhat random as well), but probably something over a week of ingame time.

Q5. How do I make money?
      A.Many ways - the choice is yours.
      Scavenging is probably a good start - picking up (and selling) leftovers from battles (ships/weapons/shields/cargoes)
      Later you might like to try trading, or manufacturing (set up your own factories), or combat, or looking for lucrative jobs offered by stations.

See the thread here for an expansion of this topic.

Q6. It's too hard (or too easy) - how do I change the difficulty?
      A.In order to change the difficulty of the game you must first assign a hotkey to either the "Ship Computer Interface" or "XTC Configuration Menu". The difficulty settings can be changed by accessing the configuration menu directly or going through the ship computer interface. Once you are in the configuration menu select the "Change Difficulty" option, from there you can select the presets easy/normal/hard or customize the difficulty yourself. Please note that certain changes to the difficulty of your game are not immediate and might take a little bit to take effect.
      (credit to code99)

Q7. How do I get the repair laser back?
      A.Change the difficulty settings - "easy" should bring it back. Need to save and reload to take effect.

Q8. How do I improve my Reputation with certain races?
      A.Several ways, the best will depend on your circumstances:
      Trading (lots of small trades tends to work better than fewer and larger ones)
      Missions (taking jobs offered by members of certain races)
      Killing enemies of that race, in their sectors - but check that they are enemies - e.g. Teladi don't regard Pirates as enemies.

Q9. How do I claim large ships (M6 and upwards)?
      A. You need some additional equipment in your ship - namely Salvage Claim Software. And in answer to the supplementary question ("Where do I get it?"):
      spoiler: At Teladi Equipment Docks, or Military Outposts, at Pirate Bases in outlying Pirate-controlled sectors, and possibly at Pirate Bases hidden away in distant corners of normal race-controlled sectors.

Q10. Which mods/scripts are compatible?
      A. Officially none - in particular the official Egosoft Bonus Pack in incompatible.
      There is a thread discussing compatibility on the Egosoft Forums here, and a similar one by Joelnh in the Scripts and Mods Subforum here.
      There are a few scattered discussions on the forums here - for example Lucike's Scripts and Mars (currently two competing threads in the user created scripts subforum here and here).

Q11. Is it savegame-compatible with Terran Conflict?
      A. No

Q12. Is it savegame-compatible with the earlier version of XTC (v 1.0 to v 1.2a)?
      A. No

Q13. Where is the manual?
      A. Manual for XTC 2.1 and later versions here.

Q14. Can I play conventional Terran Conflict in the same installation?
      A. No. You would need a completely separate installation. Beware that the savegames from the two different games finish up in the same place, and are liable to overwrite each other.

Q15. Is it available in my language?
      A. Currently only if your language is English (or a close approximation such as American or Australian).

Q16. How do I control my shipyard (or Player HQ)?
      A. Shipyard Control Centre, from Ship Computer Interface (which needs to have a hotkey set)

Q17. I am having problems with shields - what can I do to solve them?
      A.There are four currently known sets of problems:
      1. Picking up a shield recharges your ship's shields completely - a major combat exploit. Unfortunately a bug in the game engine, with no solution available.
      2. Jumping recharges your ship's shields entirely (though only if you are in it at the time) - another major combat exploit. Status unclear, no fix currently known.
      3. Changing shields - replacing them with ones of higher capacity sometimes leaves the maximum charge unchanged, and the new shields only partly charged. Workaround is to switch ALL equippable shields out of that ship, then switch back in the ones you want to use.
      4. Whilst ships usually auto-install the "best" shields, sometimes they make wrong choices. Workaround is similar to 3 - remove all shields, then put back just the ones you want (would probably also work to just remove the ones you don't want, forcing the ship to switch to what is left).

Q18. How do the small/large sizes of shields compare with the old MJ sizes?
      A.Basic shields are as follows:
      Tiny = 1MJ
      Small = 5MJ
      Medium = 25MJ
      Large = 125MJ
      Huge = 500MJ
      Colossal = 1500MJ
      Other variants may be somewhat different.

Q19. What is the difference between the various shield types (not sizes)?
      A.Three things generally differ from the base model - capacity, recharge rate, and price. Generally higher price indicates better shields - but make sure the better features match your requirements. Military models are significantly better than civilian models - which is reflected in much higher prices.

Q20. Shield (and weapon) factories have changed - how do you set them up now?
      A.Instead of buying a dedicated factory for a specific shield or weapon, you now buy a generic factory, then buy a licence to produce the particular weapon you want. For a license to be purchaseable there are two conditions: 1] you need to find a factory that produces the item in the universe (this simulates that you have to get the plans from another factory) 2] you need sufficient reputation to buy/trade with said item. If both conditions are met you can purchase the license. Before that, the only known way to produce such items is to clone them in a Faunus.
      Beware - leaving a shield or weapon factory unconfigured has been known to cause crashes.
      You can change factory products again if you want to, unless they are connected to a complex. For more details check out the manual (it works like in v1.2, you can use the old manual for the meantime).

Q21. How do I use an M8 ("bomber") remotely?
      A. Set Turrets to attack enemies, set missile firechance to 100%. That will do. There's no control over what to fire at unfortunately. If you tell it to attack something it will fire faster.
      You can order fire missions via the Typhon Missile Software that is available from Paranids and a few Military outposts of other races. How to use it like this will be covered in the updated manual.
      Short version: Install it on your ship and the M8. Select the M8 as your target (IS), push the hotkey. Follow the instructions. When you see a subtitle displaying data, press hotkey again if everything is green to execute the fire mission.
      (credit to KJ)

Q22. I want to start using a Sector Trader or Universe Trader, but I cannot find Trading Software Mk3. Where is it?
      A.The software can be found at spoiler: certain Teladi stations, like Military Outposts.
      (credit to CubemonkeyNYC)

Q23. How do I start the various Plots in the game?
      A. In general, explore, make friends with various races/factions, and keep eyes and ears open.
      Some specific starting conditions can be found, suitably spoiler-tagged, in this thread.

Q24. I am stuck in one of the Plots - what do I do next?
      A. There are walkthroughs (some unfinished) as follows:
      Pirate Plot "X marks the Spot" here.
      Leviathan Plot here.
      Enemy at the Gate here.
      Also check the Technical Support Forum - there appear to be widely encountered problems with some of the plots (in particular "Divine Retribution" here).
      If these don't solve your problem, post your questions in the Forum - using Spoiler tags as necessary to hide the information that would spoil the fun for other readers if they want to solve the problem for themselves (after reading the stickied rules for that forum, if you choose to post in the Technical Support Forum).

Q25. Are there official spreadsheets for Weapons, Missiles, Shields and Ships?
      A. Yes, available here

Q26. Boarding with Transporter - is it broken?
      A. There is a thread here discussing the problems, and including a hotfix for you to try.

Q27. How can I specify the type of ammo generated?
      A. It is specified in the resupply settings for the ship.
      (credit to thrandisher)

Q28. How do I produce weapons/missiles in the Faunus?
      A. You need 1 of the type of weapon/missile you wish to produce. Go to - command console/additional commands/production, you will only be given production info for weapons you have already produced and therefore have the blueprints for or for any weapons/missiles in the cargo bay.
      Check the screen carefully and make sure it is not going to produce IRE's (these are placeholder production item), to make sure it does not produce IRE change the food type and then change back to the food type you want to use.
      The Faunus is unable to produce some weapons (Delta Kyons, Nova Cannons etc) as the production run insists on producing 10 at a time and the Faunus does not have the cargo bay required to produce these 10 at a time.
      The Faunus can produce all missiles as the resource requirements are not as large as the capital ship weapons.
      When cancelling a production run on any factory ship its important to let the current run complete, to cancel properly go to production, then select stop production but let the run finish or it will eat all resources in the cargo bay.
      (credit to insolent1)

Update (credit to King of the World):
      It is possible to produce smaller batches of weapons - e.g. the requirements for two Nova Cannons are:
      - Cloth Rimes (2x): 1612
      - Ore (8x): 1612
      - EC (1x): 9672
      and production takes about 5 and a half hours.

Q29. How can I repair ships?
      A. Numerous ways - choose which one suits your circumstances:
      Personal repair laser (in your spacesuit) - if you have one. Free but slow on large ships.
      Shipyard - instant but expensive
      Teladi repair service (advertised via GNS) - even more expensive, but available anywhere
      Auto repair (capital ships, R6 via Ship Computer Interface) - slow but fairly cheap.
      Auto repair (fighters on own carrier, R6 via Ship Computer Interface) - as above.
      Own shipyard - uses components, fast, but minimum cost may be excessive for small ships.
      Ship-mounted repair lasers (probably mythical, but might be found on second-hand ships around corvette size) - more powerful version of personal repair laser.

Q30. What are Missile Platforms and where is their entry in the encyclopedia?
      A. The Missile platform entry in the encyclopedia is under neutral ships - m7.
      There is a variety of differences between each races type and a nice little writeup about them and how to position them (I've been able to position them without the tractor beam using the "jump and fly to position" command).
      They are basically static m7m's, with stronger shields and some fighter defences. They can dock a TS to bring in missiles although you might be better off with a missile generator.
      You can set emergency jump which should help keep them alive. Used in conjunction with lasertowers they can provide a formidable sector defence.
      (credit to insolent1)

Q31. What do dragon eggs do (compared to their ingame description)?
      A. spoiler: Squat.
      (credit to Crellion22)

Q32. 'Deliver fighter' missions appear to be broken?
      A.Yes, unfortunately - which may break the "Split Loyalties" Plot. Patch awaited.
      Three different problems, discussed in this thread - which includes a temporary patch from Tritous in post number 37 :
      1) Mission requires you to deliver an M3 to a drone carrier, which can't receive it.
      2) Some ships (typically 3) remain "docked but invisible" at the shipyard, refusing to travel to your carrier.
      3) Ships won't launch from shipyard - probably solvable if you go Out Of Sector while ships travel to your carrier.

Q33. How do I dock "very large" ships?
      A. For the largest ships added in XTC (TL+ mobile factories and M2+ "battleships") there is no "dock at ..." entry in the Navigation Menu. They are too large to dock safely in Shipyards.
      You can still dock them, but beware that they could collide with the Station. If you really want to dock the ship:
      1) Fly and dock the ship manually (a docking computer is advised)
      2) Command the ship to follow another ship which is docking (probably works best OOS where collision avoidance is switched off).
      Docking and Undocking OOS is highly recommended as you they can't receive damage due to collision then.

Q34. Why can't I link Terran mines into a complex?
      A. Unfortunately this is a "feature" of the vanilla Terran Conflict game, apparently hardcoded into the game engine. Best to buy your mines from other races.

Q35. I hate the expansion system, how do i skip the expansion?
      A.You can force the expansion via cheat. Open the ingame script editor, search for "plugin.XTC.Lib.SetExpansionStage", highlight it and hit "r" once, choose "null", and when asked for the stage - enter 8
      When you do it you should be in a sector that is fully connected, just to be sure.

Q36. My money is sucked dry, what happened?
      A.If you claim a bailed capitalship (M6 or larger), or board one, make sure you check the auto-repair option in the "R6 console" (see manual). Some ships still have it set to "on" and repair automatically, by using your credits. If you have a dronecarrier M7 check out if it has a drone build-order. It builds drones up to it's set number and always replaces losses automatically, drones cost money.

I propose to continue working on this list, adding new questions as they arise, and updating and extending answers.

Any contributions gratefully received (even just pointing out a question to add) - just post at the end of the thread and I will update the list accordingly.

Question numbering is liable to change as additional questions are added.

Loriel

Last edited by K.J.; 25-05-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Spammy the (spacefl)Eye in the sky... stemardue's Avatar
      Credits
      is watching you! ῼ

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

stemardue Points for Social Group Discussions      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Seems quite a good proposal (and seen your recent activity i'm sure you'll do a good job).
      Just in case i won't notice, please PM me when you have at least a couple of points filled in and i'll sticky the thread.

A small suggestion, though: question 1 (how do i make money) might take you some months to reply to extensively... - better leave that at question 4 or 5 in a FAQ list

You may also add (if you feel so inclined) some spoiler indications, of the kind "where can i find... [this or that software/weapon/shield...etc.]

♪♫♫♪♪
      Here is XTC 2.0 FAQ. <<<--- Go read it!
      See my XTM gameplay tips here
      Do the X-Hop!
      Relax and dance to the Deep X
      I don't know well what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it well.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Loriel      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by stemardue View Post
      Seems quite a good proposal (and seen your recent activity i'm sure you'll do a good job).
      Just in case i won't notice, please PM me when you have at least a couple of points filled in and i'll sticky the thread.
      Will do - thanks. I hope to have a couple more questions added, and at least three answers, within the next few hours. Others will take a bit longer to finish.

A small suggestion, though: question 1 (how do i make money) might take you some months to reply to extensively... - better leave that at question 4 or 5 in a FAQ list
      Agreed it's going to take a while to pull together, but in some ways it's the fundamental question - "I've loaded XTC, flown around a bit - what do I do next?"

You may also add (if you feel so inclined) some spoiler indications, of the kind "where can i find... [this or that software/weapon/shield...etc.]
      Yes, I intend to - in particular I was going to copy the answer I have already given about claiming large ships, which is spoiler-tagged.

Loriel

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

CubemonkeyNYC      £ 0.00

For Q1: Run the X-Tended_-_Terran_Conflict_2.0.exe file. Instead of installing XTC in the default directory suggested by the installer, install to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X3 Terran Conflict". If on an operating system prior to Win 7, remove the " (x86)" from the directory.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Loriel      £ 0.00

Thanks - added (with credit), together with link to alternative suggestion by Aragon Speed.

Loriel

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

code99      £ 0.00

FAQ, a nice idea indeed!

Do you accept input from other users? I mean, do you want to do the FAQ on your own or can we also pitch in and provide answers/questions that you can use? Much like CubemonkeyNYC did ... cause I would be more than happy to lend you a hand.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Loriel      £ 0.00

yes please - if you have your own ideas, please add them to thread and I will adjust the first post accordingly to include them in the list.

Loriel

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

code99      £ 0.00

Very well then. I will see what i can do around here when I can

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Joelnh      £ 0.00

Even though other scripts / mods aren't officially supported having links to the Egosoft and XUniverse Threads talking about scripts people have tried and got to work would be helpful. I plan to update my signature with links to those threads as well, maybe have the 1.2 compatibility thread unstickied and archived would be nice so a new one can be stickied.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Loriel      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Joelnh View Post
      Even though other scripts / mods aren't officially supported having links to the Egosoft and XUniverse Threads talking about scripts people have tried and got to work would be helpful.
      Agreed.

Though with the minor change that I would prefer to see a subforum here for the purpose - I think the 1.2 Compatibility Thread was victim of its own success and became unmanageably large.

I will see what develops and add a suitable link.

Loriel