Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Chapter 15: Workaholic

Jason was frantic now, this was not his plan, he needed more time. He went into overdrive, painting the house and adding more flats for herbs outside as well as inside. He got seeds and more mushrooms for starters, and soon he had flats waiting for plants to come up all over the back yard and inside the building. He had 2 flats full of mushrooms, so he didn’t need to hunt those anymore, and he added spores from one more to start another. Then he painted that building too, and cut the high grass around the house and fixed the porch roof from leaking.

Anything and everything to keep busy, and not see any one for a while. The word got around town that Jason was ‘building his retirement home’... and everyone took that as they liked. Even Ellen stopped by to buy some mushrooms and saw a frantic young man running everywhere at once, and she was shocked and worried when he turned, sweat running down his face, to see her standing there.

“What got into you?” She asked as Jason stopped for a minute to talk.”I heard you were fixing the place up but how much more do you think you need done? It looks new now.” She added as he smiled and asked if she needed anything, and she gave him an order for supplies and they haggled a price, and soon she stood there with a load of fresh materials and then asked the serious question.

“Are you really alright? You look awful.” She hinted as he sat right down on his front steps and told her everything, and she hid her face to keep from hurting his feelings.”It sounds to me like you’re a lucky young man.” She hinted as he nodded it was true.

“Its just too soon, I’m not ready.” he whispered and she smiled and knew he wasn’t talking about the house now.

“Is there one special one you really do like?” She asked and to her surprise Jason said no, and her face grew a little red thinking he might be in more trouble than she thought.

“I like them all, they are all good people, and friends.” he went on as she nodded and waited,” but settling down and having kids?? No...not happening...Karen is a fireball and has a bad temper, not even considering marrying her. Cynthia is great looking but silent and moody, her...maybe someday..Cathy is great all around... smart and happy all the time... has a good job of her own too but...we’ve been friend forever to think of her like that...” he said and sat there staring at the grass at his feet, and shaking his head, as Ellen saw he really wasn’t ready yet, and maybe not being totally truthful with himself yet either.

“Take your time, forever is a long, long time after you make your choice.” She mentioned as he nodded and she walked away smiling wide. Jason was growing up, and it was getting a little painful for him at the moment. But thats what adulthood is like, and she knew that all too well.

After a week of running himself raged Jason finally just collapsed in his room one night knowing he didn’t have anything to do tomorrow. He thought about a trip to the caves, but then he’d need to face Karen. He could gather more materials and dry them for later, but by now he had quart jars of the stuff waiting on the shelf.

He made bombs for sale and sold some, and healing potions and mana potions too, he had a small business going as people came right to the house, and he wondered if he could live off that and just hide here. But the bank was only 2 hundred yards away, Karen’s house ,less. Even Cynthia might stop by if he tried to hide out forever, and he knew that wasn’t the manly thing to do anyways.

He was just laying there staring at the fading light as the sun went down when a knock came on his door, and his heart stopped. He went to see who it was and his dad was there, and he held out a pie and said his mom sent this over, but his face said he wanted to come in, and Jason motioned for him to sit.

“The place looks great.” he said as he took a chair...”you not so much...” he hinted as Jason just laughed and nodded he knew.”Cathy mentioned to her mom that you two might be dating soon and she was thrilled.” he added as Jason looked worse than before.”Is that what this is about?”

“OH...thats just the tip of the ice burg...” Jason added and told him the whole story as even his dad had to look at him sadly.

“So, you don’t really like her then?” He asked as Jason said he really did, but not ‘like that’ and his dad waited as Jason tried to explain it himself.

“Shes pretty and has that elf thing going on, and thats sexy, but we’ve been friends forever, and her mom and dad has been really nice to me...and now that I’m forced to consider things... I can think about her naked ...” And caught himself there.” that was unnecessary wasn’t it?” And his dad nodded agreement, still trying to keep a straight face.

“Since all this started its the first time that I thought about them all like that, and they are decent looking, all of them...” Jason admitted as his dad agreed.

“So what will you do? Cathy thinks you like her and is telling everyone.” he said as Jason dropped his head and looked sick.

“Start dating I guess...” Jason said as his dad smiled really wide.” I wanted to wait a while but it looks like no one is waiting but me.” He admitted as his dad reminded him they all were waiting...on him to decide...and Jason nodded and said he’d start asking a few out sometimes, and just see what happens, and they both agreed and Frank went home and told Cathy’s mom and dad that he was willing to give it a try, and they couldn’t wait to get their ‘little Cathy’ married off, and Frank mentioned to Jason’s mom Flo that Jason might be leaving town for a while, and she looked shocked, as he just laughed and went for a bath before bed.

Chapter 16: Trouble Brews

That week he asked Cathy out for dinner and she refused...and made dinner for him instead. They ate and sat there, looking embarrassed and he said he had always liked her but that seeing her as a possible wife was hard, and she admitted that she had always thought he was a good man, and even a possible husband, and he saw she might be well ahead of him.

“This is the first time alone with a woman that you like isn’t it?” She asked as he admitted it was.”Then let me guide you, I don’t have a lot of experience either, but maybe we’ll be alright.” She said softly and they sat together and kissed a little and she showed him what she liked and they had a nice petting session, and finally she asked to stay for the night, but now he refused, to her surprise.

“We’re getting in a hurry and its not necessary,” He added as she smiled and agreed.” Now that I made up my mind to date, we’ll see each other again, for sure, but I might ask someone else out to, before I decide for sure.” he admitted as she nodded and tried to look like she understood.

“I’ll wait for you.” She whispered and gave him a big kiss and then fixed her cloths and left, and Jason wasn’t sure he did the right thing or not, but he was being honest and that was a necessity for him right now.

Now back to the Gild Hall and Carl and James laughed saying they thought he had retired from cave crawling, and Jason just smiled and said he had a lot to do at home, and it was fine now. Questions got asked and he admitted that he was dating now and that Cathy had been his first date. Now they got personal and Jason laughed out loud and said it was none of their business, and they looked disappointed.

“How many trips have you made in the month that I was gone?” Jason asked as James said he took a group down to level 12 Safe Zone and back but no real monsters were seen. It seemed the mating season was over for now and things were settling down again.

“I went in too, with my Team we spent the night and did OK all the way to level 10, and we were trying to list all the things we saw that were different than before. Its true some animals moved around, but the really big things we saw just once never came back.” he admitted as Jason said that breeding a dragon on levels where there were no others was hard and probably had failed.

“So...ready for a good solid crawl then?” James asked as Jason laughed and agreed.” The Wizard’s back! Time to gather everyone for a weekend trip.” he said as Carl agreed and the invitations went out, and Josh and Karen were thrilled to see Jason was back to work. They had done a little on their own for extra cash, but these deep trips made more than a hundred little level 2-3 things, and their account needed the help.

The trip started Friday, stretching the weekend to the extreme, but they had plans to see level 19 too and everyone cheered as Jason left them know they were well covered, as he brought tons of healing potions for everyone. That left a lot of people smile, because his potions were the very best, and they could go all out without regrets.

They brought a small cart this time, and 2 gatherers, and they just pulled it along with all their supplies on it and some of the others helped from time to time. When they got into the bigger levels, nothing would be left behind now, and that would only add to their total take and the shares everyone got from it.

And as the little army went from level to level, a convoy of soldiers stopped in town and asked for the Gild Masters, and were told they went into the caves, and they nodded they understood. They got rooms and put up their horses in the stable for a few days and everyone in town was surprised to see the flag of the King, King James Haskell, flying in front of the boarding house while they were there.

Curiosity got the better of some, and after some time to consider, they found out that a member of Royalty, Princess Aurora was staying there and asking a lot of questions about the caves and why their town seemed to make more than some towns half their size again

When people met her for the first time it was a shock, she wasn’t what you’d expect a Princess to be like. She wore mostly armor, all polished and shiny but still. Instead of hiding behind long dresses, she dressed like a soldier with her sword at her side and bare legs and arms. It was surprising that a member of Royalty would be like this, but one of her Royal Guards told everyone that she was a warrior through and through, and they had fought together against pirates and bandits and all along the path that they chose after leaving the castle.

“We are only 12 soldiers but with our Commander, we can stand against 20.” he bragged as many smiled and agreed she must be really something. And she was something to see too, fairly tall and strong looking. Her armor couldn’t hide that there was a real woman under there, and her legs and arms were muscular but not in a bad manly way. She had black hair, as black as coal and shiny and it hug down to her shoulders and waved around a little when she talked and laughed, and it was clear that her men adored her, and were at her beck and call.

“The Gilds went crawling for the weekend,” She explained to her men as they agreed,” when they return we’ll see how impressive their take was for the two or three days they were gone. Its a good sampling for us to understand how they are doing soo well.” She said and sat back drinking wine and eating good meals and her men got to live the good life here for a while, instead of out on the road where they had been for the last 6 months.

By now Jason and the Team were at the Safe Zone in level 12. Things had been fun so far, and a few animals that were normally deeper now seemed to live nearby. That meant that something else was down there now and James and Carl admitted that things were a little different than before.

From level 10 to level 12 they picked up some nice things as Bosses died and clouds of loot dropped. But nothing that impressive as James said, since he was still carrying a level 19 ax and a level 17 sword, his standards had gone up nicely.

“You are just spoiled,” Jason mentioned as they ate a meal together, and James smiled and agreed.His life had been going very well... and it was clear he was a happy man because of it.

“Just remember...” Carl hinted and winked at Jason,” there’s always level 20.” And they all laughed and James admitted that he couldn’t wait to see what those monsters dropped too.

“Slow and steady...we’ll get there someday.” Jason added and they all agreed. If nothing else all these shorter trips gave them training and they and their Teams got stronger because of it.

“Tomorrow, level 18 Safe Zone!” James called as everyone cheered and then got some sleep and they were up early for a good breakfast and away they went, and some really tough battles lay ahead but they were in the level 18 Zone before anyone was too tired or badly hurt.

“We made good time...” Carl hinted as they got a meal and James said it was because the Wizard was with them, it gave their people courage that he’d be there when he was needed, and they gave it their all.

“Its because we’re a Team,” Jason added seriously as they all agreed.”Give them their due, without them we could never get this far.” And when he said that everyone cheered and James and Carl saw that the Gilds would be in good hands if they ever retired.

Now into 19 and the weapons were still dropping and staying there. They went through the level and attacked the Boss... a huge humanoid that stood 30 feet tall... and carried an ax as big as the wagon. It screamed and growled and arrow after arrow and firebomb after bomb went off and it slowly dropped its health until it could stand no longer, and fell to the ground with an earth shaking thump, as the Team cheered and a cloud of exquisite goods dropped, and they backed the cart right up to the pile and loaded it all on, and it filled the cart too as people started asking for bit and pieces and Carl said they’d hand stuff out back at camp, and they all marched back there to get healed and to rest and James was soo hyped... he wanted to wait for the re-spawn and do it all again... and Carl asked where they put the loot then? And the entire Team laughed about that.

“Next time...two carts then!” James declared as everyone laughed and Carl said now he was just getting greedy, and James whispered that what they still had on the cart might be enough for someone to retire on, and Carl looked away and smiled.

It was a lot to be sure, and half the Team got new things too. Pieces of armor, swords and cloths with special abilities, all dropped from one animal or another. It might be that every level below this was the same, or it might be that this happened to keep everyone up here, but whatever the reason the Team went back to the surface rich once again, and as they walked out dragging their cart behind them a wall of soldiers was waiting, and Carl and James stepped forward to ask what was going on, as Aurora herself stepped in and checked the loot cart and it carried a lot of things better than even her men were using now.

“I am the Princess Aurora, are you the Gild Masters here?” She asked as they admitted they were.”I see you did quite well...again...the economy of your little village has been rising rapidly over the last year, not only doing better in the Labyrinth, but paying higher taxes too. The Royal Family appreciates when their people do well, it looks good for all of us.” She admitted and they knew then they were not in any trouble.

“So...what is the secret of your success then? Its clear that you plan well and need wagons just to get it all back to sell. Your shops are filled with top quality things as we saw, and we might be buying some of these to send back to the castle...my father loves nice things like this.” She said looking a golden spear over as James cleared his throat to say everything on the cart was for sale,as Carl stepped back and let him do his thing.

The negotiations didn’t last long, the Royal Family were used to paying WAY more than anyone else, but no one was complaining and an armful of things was strapped to a horse and one man started back with that even as they spoke.

“But you never answered my question...what has changed in the last year or two that hadn’t happened before? The town always did well, but suddenly things here went through the roof, and we’d like to see what it was so we might change things elsewhere like it.” She admitted as someone laughed and some snickers were heard and she looked towards the snickering Team with a sour look that showed she didn’t like getting laughed at.

“Oh that...” James said softly as she looked back to see him smiling wide and someone was sneaking back further and further into the crowd, as they laughed at him.”The Wizard happened here.” he said and told stories of hair raising feats and up to a dozen animals dead in a flash, and her eyes opened wide and her men even nodded in appreciation, and Jason got stopped from escaping as James waved for him and people actually shoved him back up through the crowd the way he came, and laughed at him the entire time until he was standing beside Carl and James, and he swore under his breath but held himself up to his full measure, and she looked surprised he didn’t want to meet her at all.

“So, you’re the Wizard I just heard about?” She asked softly as Jason growled at James out of the corner of his mouth, who chuckled in return.

“Apothecary really,” he admitted and she looked even more surprised and he explained that she ‘shouldn’t take everything you hear for fact’ and she got a good laugh too and offered to treat the entire Gild at the bar, and they all went into town, as she asked a million questions and Carl and James answered them all, even if Jason wouldn’t himself.

Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00

Chapter 17: Hybrid Skills

“A Combat Apothecary??” The Captain of the Guard declared as Carl and James agreed.”I’ve never heard of such a thing.”

“He uses bombs and clouds of poison dust to kill many at a time. As a fighter, if they are one or two facing me then I’m fine, but 5-6 together and its normal to back away. He waits especially for those times and attacks.” Carl added as Jason tried his best not to try sneaking out during the conversation.

“Area Effect Weapons, is that what you call them?” She asked as Jason looked away and nodded.”Do I frighten you that badly?” She finally asked, as Carl laughed and said Jason was a little shy, and she smiled at that.

“Probably cant wait to get back to his pretty little wife.” She hinted as many there laughed and someone yelled he was single, just too stubborn to settle down, and she laughed too, it sounded familiar.

“Our Princess is single too,” one of her soldiers called and looked away because he knew she would yell at him for it.

“By MY choice...” She yelled back as everyone laughed again and she did smile and went back to talking. “Apothecarys are usually people with a shop, and sit there mixing potions all day and growing plants, not going on expeditions and killing creatures.” She added as even Jason nodded it was true, saying it started out as a matter of necessity, since he was on his own he had to eat, and pay rent, as she smiled and agreed.

“Then it became fun..” Jason finally added all smiles, and even James said that the fun factor went up fast with him around.

“Sorry I missed the last trip, sounds like something my men and I would enjoy.” She hinted and James almost jumped in and invited her on the spot, but Jason’s eye contact made him reconsider.

“Maybe after our Team rests up a bit, if you’re still in town.” Carl hinted as she agreed, saying they were in no hurry, and her men seemed pretty happy with that too.

Jason finally slipped away saying he needed to go to the bank, and she allowed it. But as he walked along he felt that having Royalty in town was going to make everyone on edge, and maybe she’d leave as soon as she saw that they weren’t pirates or something, he hoped so.

He made his deposit, and Cathy asked if he met the Princess yet, and he admitted he had.

“I hear she’s very pretty...” She said, fishing as Jason laughed and said he couldn’t tell for all the swords and armor, and she looked away chuckling to herself.

“Can I make you dinner tonight? I just got some fresh chicken,” She offered and he smiled and agreed, and she nodded and said she’d be along as soon as her shift was over, and Jason went home to grab a nap and a hot bath.

“You got fresh chicken in advance...how very bold of you.” One girl beside Cathy hinted as she looked around to make sure Jason was gone.

“Yes I did...the second I leave here.” She hinted, with a wink,as everyone laughed and they congratulated her on finally finding someone, and she thanked them for saying so.

“Oh look, shifts over...” The manager mentioned, as everyone turned to look at the clock and saw they still had 30 minutes yet.” better get to the market quick or your offer wont mean much.” He hinted, as Cathy laughed and thanked him and ran out the door.

“He’s an interesting young man,” The Captain of the Guard admitted as they walked the Princess back to the lodge, and she agreed.” Combat, Apothecary skills, and even Weapon Smithing...thats an odd mix.” he said seriously, as she said that it seemed to work for them though, and he agreed.

“I want to send a message back to the castle saying we think too strictly...its obvious that skilled people can do more than we demand of them...if they want to...so lets let them try new things, it can only help us all in the end.” She admitted as he agreed and a bird left minutes later with the message on it for her Father the King.

“So...she’s all the way out in Smithtown now.” The King said reading her message an hour later, as he looked tired... and his Queen just smiled and looked away. “But it seems she’s found a new person there that isn’t quite normal by our standards, and she thinks we can train better people this way.” he went on looking thoughtful about that.

“Might be worth a try at the very least.” he admitted and a he sent a message to be posted on every bulletin board saying that anyone who wanted could train in multiple skills, and they’d wait to see how that would work out. “Honestly though..way doesn’t she just come home and settle down like everyone else?” he demanded, as his wife smiled wide and gave him a small little hug to settle him down.

“Because she isn’t like everyone else, and you know it, probably why this new person caught her eye, they are much alike.” She hinted and he agreed saying that while his other daughters trained to be good wives, Aurora waved a sword around and grappled in the dirt with soldiers until they respected her for it, and that was hard for any woman.

“I’d be happy for her if she just came home,” He admitted softly, and she smiled that he worried for her so much, but he was a father after all, wither Aurora felt she needed watched over or not.

“Maybe she’ll come home with a new husband someday,” The Queen hinted as the King just smiled, he’d hoped as much but she just wasn’t that easily pleased. “Or maybe find a nice little town and settle down there, you never know.” She added and that gave him something else to worry about, as she chuckled and went back to being the silent little Queen that many expected her to be.

“Just so long as she settles down SOMEWHERE.” He whispered as she smiled and sat back waiting for more news.

Chapter 18: Homespun Happiness

It was early in the morning with the sun barely peeking into the windows of the room where Aurora laid, and as she rolled over, Francis, the Captain of the Guard smiled back at her.

“I have to go soon, people will talk.” he hinted as she all but laughed out loud at that.

“You think this is a secret?” She asked as he looked embarrassed and a little happy too. “I don’t hide my feelings, and you shouldn’t either, we aren’t in the castle anymore.”

“But..if the King found out...” he hinted as she finally just laid back and sighed. Telling him would be a pain, but it would happen, eventually.

“Father sent me out here to seek a husband, and I fully think he might know already about us.” She mentioned as Francis had to think about that too.” If he didn’t want this, then you would not have been assigned to my personal guard... thats what I’ve been thinking.” She mentioned as he looked shocked then smiled wide.

“Then we might be over thinking things. If this was his plan, then we played right into it didn’t we?” He asked as she finally agreed they had.

“I have no complaints..” She hinted as he smiled and agreed.

“Then we need to decide...will we return to the castle... or find our own place for our own future?” He asked as she looked surprised it had come up so quickly.

“You’re a military man, don’t you want to Command in the future?” she asked as he just smiled and said he could be happy doing anything so long as she was there, and she smiled a lot at that.”I’m sure father wants me to return, but I’m just not ready yet, maybe soon though, does that suit you?” She asked as he admitted it did, and they got up and ready for another day.

By now Jason was seeing that Cathy wasn’t taking no for an answer. He didn’t mind, of course, in her mind they were as good as married, and that made her offers very compelling.But he dragged his feet for a while longer, and even his father started giving him serious looks and mentioned that his reputation was starting to slide with Cathy’s family.

It was just the usual prodding that goes on when two kids start dating in a small town, and Jason got advice from many sources. But it all came back to this: if you love her marry her...and he smiled to admit that since they were friends forever, and she HAD grown up nicely, and that the idea of being together every day didn’t frighten him as much as starting over with someone else.

So on the last day of May he did it, and she accepted, and her entire Family and friends helped her move in, and they had a fine dinner to celebrate.Jason was a success now, his Apothecary business was working well, and he could live off that alone. Then Cathy had a full time job she loved...for now...and Jason still went on quests for more money and his account was more than respectable.

This 3 years after a young man stepped out of his parents door on his own for the first time, and now he was a successful businessman and Adventurer. It was even known that he would someday replace one of the Gildmasters, and everyone nodded and smiled.Considering the small town he grew up in, you cant do any better than this, and he became a cornerstone of the community for a long time into the future, and when the time came, his son walked out into the town square on his own too, and everyone smiled to see how the next generation worked out, and on into infinity, as the small town became a city, and the city a new State and Adventurers still ruled supreme until the end of time.

Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00

someone want to start the next one please

**EDIT** Do what now? Oh.. you mean approve your latest story? why would I do something like that? Cheers, NC **END EDIT**

Last edited by NovaCatt; 05-09-2015 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added humurous comment.. NC ;)

Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00

you know, I've come back several times and read this again and though I'm not into hack and slash games, I think I could have played this one..lol

Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00

I'v been lazy lately so if no one cares I'll start dropping some more stories here from time to time. it might give me incentive to finish a few that I have half done sitting around..lol

Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00

hmm came back and read this again and liked it, maybe I'll do another one like this.

Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00

ok started a new one similar to this. here they start outside the caverns and always wonder whats down deep...but it would really surprise them to find that down really deep, miles underground, were people like them living in towns in valleys connected by tunnels like the ones on the surface. got the idea from an old movie many years ago about the Legend of Hollow Earth.

Credits
      is old and tired

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

kevin398      £ 20.00

ok see that I started another MMO style story a while ago. must have gone with my wipe, but now doing something similar, my next story is about a young man living in this time. hope you enjoy it, first chapters coming soon.