PDA

View Full Version : My idea for a new mod

Alban92
20-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Before I start I want to say I have no experience of scripting or programming (I can't even work a god dam mod!) so don't get angry if my idea can't be done.

My Idea was...

Politics!

I heard about some people witnessing fleets of Paranid crossing the Argon border to invade; this was cool but the Argon did nothing about it so there was no 'epic battle' for the sector. I thought wouldn't it be good if I could join that war, even better I would be the one to start it!

But how would I do this? I thought maybe after you reach a certain ranking with a race you would get a message offering you to become a member of the Senate. After this point you had an ability to have a say in 'what one race thinks of another' meaning you could start altering the relations of the universe.

You would advance up the senate by investing money for publicity and doing missions, you may also have to assainate political opponents. The more you advance the more influence you have over relations of your race. The worse a races relations the more likely/willing they are to take part in invasions, and of course once you advance high enough, you could call in these invasions or start a embargo.

Politics would give players an immence amount of power, that's why there must be concequences to balance it out. One Idea is that your political opponents would want you dead, constant assaination attempts. Also, when you become the senetor or whatever the top title would be you never have direct control of the races fleets although maybe they could be during a time of invasion.

So that's my idea, please tell me what you think of it and if (to an extent) is possible.
Thank you!

Anon loyalist
20-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I think to an "extent" it could be possible. :)
It may not be able to have the out come you want but its a good idea. O0

Leave this post open for a few days and see what other users think. After that, we'll have to see... ;)

And welcome to the Forums mate :wave:

Alban92
20-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok sure, sounds good to me. I'm excited to see what others come up with :)

Phlt
20-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Welcome Alban92 :)

kevso101
20-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Alban92,
interesting idea, i know that there are scripts which start off Race Invasions, however i've never come across any that dictate the politics of races, nice idea though for sure.

Having a bit of a think about it i guess it could be possible to alter the the way races feel about each as a game mechanic it might be done through espionage rather than politics by paying for the breakup of raqce relations a little like buying player rep through the BBS, just an idea.

I'll be interested to see what others think is possible :)

Kevso :)

Vvrathian Defeat
21-02-2008, 01:10 AM
***These scripts will quell your desire for that intense race on race action, but not necessarily make you actively part of it as per your request, I think its a great idea, but also very complicated as you would have to play with the GOD engine to change the way one race as a whole feels about another, this is something most scripters shy away from because a "bug" can completely unbalance your universe.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=144557
Smart Pirates means you will be able to think of them as another race rather than a disorganized annoyance

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=105272
the key for the "epic battle" formula

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=105154
additional carnage you can choose to be a part of before it happens

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=143135
if you really hate the universe you live in, this script does have difficulty settings

I know that this is not really the mod you envision but at the present the full scope of your idea would be very hard to realize given the built in limitations to the game. Hope this helps :)

Aragon Speed
21-02-2008, 02:52 AM
This idea has some interesting prospects. :)

I shall have a word with a couple of people I know, and maybe you will see something similar soon. ;)

Droffy
21-02-2008, 03:28 AM
there are sine good ideas in this post. But as above i would say it would probably have to be done by espionage rather then polatics.

Cheers

Droffy

Alban92
21-02-2008, 01:23 PM
OK thanks for the ideas so far. I think it's safe to say we don't wanna interfere with the GOD engine so maybe instead when a race is at war there would be additional ships, these ships will not be run by the GOD engine (if that's possible!) and would simply move over to the enemy sector with the order to destroy everything after the battle is won or lost they will dock at a shipyard or something and only come back when the next invasion is issued.

I think it's best both sides have these ships to avoid the defending race not doing anything about the invasion. The invasions would be similar to the Xenon defence missions.

Vvrathian Defeat
21-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Egosoft ships and stations, for example, the Terrans in HE are all run by GOD. It is my understanding that it keeps track of the number of each type of ships and ensures that important stations / traders are re-spawned in order to keep the universe running. Now you could make a script to oversee the ships in your idea and as such won't be controlled by the GOD engine (as much) but they will still count towards the ship quota per race. Ulf made a mod that changes these values, lowering the # of transports and eliminating civilians to decrease load time for the action oriented player so these values can be changed with out too much invasive editing (not to speak for him at all, simply put, its been done). I would look around for scripts that loosely resemble what you are looking for then ask the creator for an edit, something could come out of this :)

krm398
29-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I think he meant something like an Admiral...never realy in the fight but controling a lot of ships..then sit back and run the war. It would be more of an stategy game instead of action, but some guys like that, I perfer to see their eyes when that missile hits...lol.