PDA

View Full Version : Ships M4+ ?

deus ex alpha
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
what would you the people think to a M4+.
iv been draw some space ships and one is looking very much like a paranid fighter with a split arrow hull. when i started drawing this ship i was thinking about the storey in the BBS news talk of a new fast paranid ship. i will get some pic's on here after iv finished my the concept off a little more.:p

i must tell you know at this stage your input could make big changes in my design:rolleyes:

Quasar
08-07-2008, 09:20 PM
as far as I recall, the only M4+ in the game is the Yaki MX+ in New Horizons mod... that can be a nasty ship, especially when they are in large numbers and spamming you with Wasps!! Makes a good enemy! More would be worth it! :grin:

Draxis
08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I've been looking at the concept as I designed fighters. I've completely ignored smaller ships because they are weak, but this idea was always interesting to me, the smaller profile means that they can dodge well and it would make for a good interceptor

Quasar
08-07-2008, 09:51 PM
it's well worth looking at... good M4s that spam missiles, when they are in a mob, can be very dangerous to anything under M2... and there are not enough good M4s around... I will be very interested to see what you come up with...

deus ex alpha
09-07-2008, 12:26 AM
ok my thought's for the ship ran with two type of operation in mind for most of the design apart form the standard. one for support the other as a strait forward interceptor. for the support version a rear turret taking Apac max and 4 slots in the main array and a top speed of 247. the interceptor on the other hand would max out between 271-301 and the best weapon on it would be the Apbe and Apac's. cargo hold im not to sure on yet. but this is just me and mite not really work that well.

Draxis
09-07-2008, 04:25 AM
I've got two ideas in the works, both will have somewhat square bodies, but will be sleek overall, they'll look similar though and I'll have a missile version and an interceptor version. The interceptor will be faster and better armed, but the missile interceptor will be a dedicated bomber will awesome load outs and cargo space.

Quasar
09-07-2008, 08:32 AM
sounds good, Draxis... used together in numbers, that would be a very lethal combination :grin:

kevso101
09-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Hmmm would have to careful about loadouts and shields or these would make the standard M3 obsolete.

Kevso :)

deus ex alpha
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
thats my point in limiting the number of weapons each can have kevso101.

in my own opinion the M4+ is just trying to break that gap thats between the M3 and the M4/5 class ships, its not meant to put the M3 out of a job. with missiles taking greater part in combat at greater levels, there comes a time when you just need your fire power on target fast. if you tried get your M5 fighter wing on any target larger than M3, you only get a small affect for your effort, an it want take long for them to be taken out of the sky. now if you had s ship thats as fast and has some fire power and maybe a large Bomb:kapow: to get in close >:D i do think you should only be able to carry so many missiles or you could end up with the ultimate cap killer.

kevso101
09-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Then we are of one mind, perhaps the bomber version could carry say 2 or 3 firestorms only, and have maybe 15MJ of shields. What do you think?

Kevso :)

tpower1980
10-07-2008, 12:57 AM
N4+ !!.... the Fighter Bomber !! ;)...loves the idea of it being able to bug the cap ship , while providing support for the "REAL" Attack crafts.(M3+) :)

Draxis
10-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I like these ideas a lot. I'm envisioning something somewhat boxy with huge engines, kind of like an American A-10 Thunderbolt. 2 forward guns for defense, maybe three and 3 large bombs...

What should the interceptor be like?

PS, thanks for the help, following my computer crash, its all useful.

tpower1980
10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I like these ideas a lot. I'm envisioning something somewhat boxy with huge engines, kind of like an American A-10 Thunderbolt. 2 forward guns for defense, maybe three and 3 large bombs...

What should the interceptor be like?

PS, thanks for the help, following my computer crash, its all useful.

heavy guns means increase weights, increase weights means slower speed, slower speed means it needs heavier shield. So in my opinion ,these ships must be the slowest of all the fighter classes , but in return it will be the most heavily protected and armed:)

deus ex alpha
12-07-2008, 12:59 AM
ok my design so far as involved the following ideas, the ship has two power plants working tandem, in a kind of feed back loop making a third more energy than two on there own would. this little...

TheDeadlyShoe
12-07-2008, 01:57 AM
Ugh. This sort of thing is the inevitable result of adding so many super m3s. :|

deus ex alpha
12-07-2008, 02:00 AM
agreeO0

Aragon Speed
12-07-2008, 04:13 AM
I think an M4+ would have a single Military 25MJ shield, this would give it more protection than the standard 3x5MJ's but still be way off the power of 3x25MJ's that M3's carry. <br />
<br />
Weapons you would...

Droffy
12-07-2008, 04:28 AM
yeah 1 military 25mw would be the way to go too. Also a good compliment of missiles :)

Quasar
12-07-2008, 09:01 AM
@AS or Sartorie
is there any way to limit the number of missiles a ship carries, at present, and if not, would that be possible?

reason is that I would be in favour of a missile M4+ carrying some of the most destructive missiles, but only if it was limited to say, 2 or 3... it would, imho, be overpowered if it could carry lots...

Aragon Speed
12-07-2008, 09:06 AM
As a default missiles would only be limited by cargo size and cargo space (after adding them in Tships that is), but it might be possible to limit them by script, only a scripter could tell you if this is possible or not though.

EDIT:
To create a bomber by the simplest method I can think of would be to only allow one type of heavy missile in tships, and to adjust the cargo hold space so that you could only carry a small amount of them.

deus ex alpha
12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
seem that we are all thinking on the same page here, an what i see looks like a good base line for any races' M4+. the balance is nearly right but i would only be able to see this properly in a test. because i was thinking that this ship is still a little heavy all though not a bad thing if your boron.
@Draxis's that ship sounds as if it would make a great terran or xenon M4+

Quasar
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I like the idea of it being Xenon or Pirate... it would make a good adversary in numbers! :)

Then, of course, it could be captured... >:D

Draxis
13-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Let me explain my thinking behind this ship. It came before my computer crashed when I was making my own fleet of VDI ships and my ideas were some what revolutionary to my X universe: a fleet of specialized ships with no lumbering heavy hitters. I needed fast and disposable ships, ships that I could afford to lose without going broke. I needed fighters that could be made quickly and could come pre-equipped, essentially, drones. I was going to scrap the idea though, XTM had drones already and I couldn't take the idea and use it, that would be cheating, so I decided to take my ship idea and turn it from drone to an advance fighter, something that could attack in waves.

That was the original inspiration and I've got my basic idea now. I've got my heavy fighters redone now and I'm starting on the m4+'s. This is what I have now:

Missile Interceptor:
Same body as the interceptor, but larger wings and one fewer engine, 2 wing mounted guns, a single rear turret with 1 IRE for missile defense. "Fake Missiles" made and slung under the wings. Capable of taking dumbfire missiles,

Interceptor:
Same basic body as the missile intercepto, with smaller wing and many more guns. Higher speed, but near to no missile capability. Decent guns too, no turret.

That's what i have so far and hopefully you see the role I want to fill

deus ex alpha
13-07-2008, 11:32 PM
draxis we have to think hard on this because of what missiles/bomb used on board will change the hole way we use said ship. by the way if you give the basic interceptor a DM and i bit of storage it would make a good bases for a Teladi M4+. an why the missile layout on other sounds so pirate
:think:
im toying with a idea for a split M4+. now the hole premiss is its cheap you can make lots of them. there is how ever a large down side, they are very fast>:D no scratch that there insanely fast:jump2: making them a danger in the hands of a novice pilot. that said mortality rate are still high. this M4+ role is to soften enemy before the fleet arrives or shock raids be hind the lines.
BACK STORY. the split concentration on speed is nothing new, though the use of a modified and cut in half Caiman power plant is. many test pilots lost their lives to this ship. with many losing control system at top speeds.

Draxis
14-07-2008, 02:45 AM
well, I'm working on a fleet, independent of any race at the moment. These ships are all going to be new and different so I'll release the ships later and once I get a response, positive or negative, I'll see about making one for each race,