PDA

View Full Version : Planning youtube videos on the cosmos, graphical and musical help needed.

Nicholas
23-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone. I figured this would be a great place to start.
I'm planning some youtube videos on the solarsystem, the universe, the cosmos, the history of science and our understanding of celestial objects...etc and I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in helping create some graphical and or musical content for the series.
If anyone knows who Carl Sagan is, or has seen his series Cosmos, you'll get a rough idea of the kind of thing I want to create.
Essentially I need someone good at creating 3d objects (though there are a lot of real time videos of some of the objects so these would be interspersed, or possibly even adapted for the purposes of the episodes). The objects would include planets (as realistic as possible), the sun, space probes that have been launched, and conceptual space probes, or even conceptual manned missions. Formerly I was just going to use the X3 engine to do this myself, but while I've been focusing so much on the dialogue and basic editing of the whole thing I've found it very difficult to also work on making 3d objects for the game, and then capturing it in the right way in game.
If anyone has any experience doing this your advice would be welcome, and if anyone would like to work on some 3d objects with me I would really appreciate it. Any participants would of course be credited in the description (or I might even make a credits section at the end of the vid) with any input they have provided.
Also anyone who is good at composing and producing original musical scores would be an excellent addition to the team. I am a firm believer that the background music is far more important than the actual content, as it amplifies the emotional undertones of what is being said and viewed. I would be happy to listen to any interesting pieces of music. I'm finding it hard to find the words to describe the kind of music I have imagined for it (though this may change if i realise your ideas are way better than mine) but I can send you some tracks which I have found evocative of the dialogue and images I wish to portray.
Again, any help given would be credited.
I essentially wish to create an original set of videos, not held back by any copyright restrictions since I would like a future popularising science and I don't want to have videos torn apart because I stole music or videos from anyone.

Cheers for any replies

I look forward to hearing from you

Nick

Jeff
23-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I would really like to help, but I don't have any free time left. My graduating project (or whatever you would call it) is coming up in January and requires a lot of time.

Anyway to help with the 3D part a little, this site has some awesome textures:
http://planetpixelemporium.com/index.php

You should check the copyright policy though, I used them for some personal stuff for my study a long time ago. Anyway good luck ;)

Nicholas
23-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Cheers Jeff, that's awesome.
This project will last longer than till January so if you're still interested after this time reply to this thread again then. (I have a dissertation to write for March, so I understand where you're comming from, though this series will be a welcome distraction from investigating nano magnets using the magneto optical kerr effect.)

Jeff
24-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Alright count me in, but if I have a deadline to meet it could be that this doesn't get worked on as much ;) I don't know when you want to start, but at the moment I am getting closer to the assessment of my internship(s). The assessment will be on December the 15th or 16th so till then I don't have much time. After that I should have some spare time to do something about this though ;)

Do you already have an idea of what you want in the videos? Can you make storyboards, or do you have them already? Composing really isn't my strong point so we would need someone else for that ;)