PDA

View Full Version : Mission Director Scripters Needed

Aragon Speed
26-01-2009, 09:07 AM
MD scripters are desperately needed in the XTC mod to script missions and plots.

If you have skill in this area, or are willing to learn to script in MD, let us know by posting below.

Kozaki
27-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Sounds interesting but I have no skills in scripting or working with the MD. 8)

I can learn this if someone will explain me all. The problem is my english is bad and I need a german guide or someone who can explain these things to me.. :o

I can work 10-14 hours a week maybe more.

Aragon Speed
27-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Our main MD scripter Kevso had no experience with this either when he started. The MD is new enough that most people do not have any experience in it, which is why if you are willing to learn, we are willing to teach.

As for English, Kevso is English, but we have about 3 different people on the team that can speak both languages, so if there is something that you can't understand I'm sure one of them can give a quick translation for you. ;)

I'll have a word with the team and see what they think. :)

Davy Jones
28-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I would also like to learn that (always hated myself for having two left hands when dealing with scripting and modding) but there is already one fact that bothers me: to script the missions, you need a story, to create a story, you have to know what you can use. I would really like to be part of the team that creates the XTC-story. I already have some great ideas (and some of them are somewhat mean:grin:).

@Kozaki: I'm an educated English teacher (no joke!), so if you need a translation...

Davy Jones

Legartius
28-01-2009, 11:45 PM
AS told me that help is needed with this, so I'd be willing to learn, I just need some prodding in the right direction towards tools, tutorials, and guides :)

Aragon Speed
29-01-2009, 09:31 AM
@DJ: Your race aint getting in. :p:lol:

I'll have Kevso contact both of you shortly. ;)

kevso101
29-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Done, read you pm's Guys ;)

Thanks

Kevso :)

Davy Jones
29-01-2009, 07:21 PM
@AS: That's not the only thing I meant! Will the Sohnen be in XTC again? What about the Aldrinists? And the #decas? Should they be a part of the story? And these are only examples...

Davy Jones

enenra
29-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Let's just say that we have our own ideas of what our plot(s) and general situation will look like. But what it is? Who knows... ;)

Draakon
14-03-2009, 06:25 PM
*Me sniffs around "The X Universe forums after long absence(well, from the X-Series community only)

One of the few games that i love and decided to look how do mod. But...Yeah, there is always a but, i have been bit lazy for long term stuff for some reasons(not anymore, i have actually scripted(combined actually) some scripts from X3:R for my own use only). Seeing as X3:TC is not currently(i haven't actually played the plot fully even, only 1 hour gameplay time currently) as it used to be with X3:R (well, with the XTM) i thought "Hell, why not? Then i can spend some of my free time to something interesting". But then came the problem of no skill/very, very low skills thing. But seeing what -AS- said, i still made this post. What the heck, here it goes. Basically, I'm willing to learn.

Aragon Speed
15-03-2009, 02:48 AM
WB to the forum Draakon. :)

Kevso (our head MD scripter) is currently away in RL on a business trip. He will probably be away for about 3 weeks. If you really are interested, then I'll get him to contact you when he gets back.

My biggest worry atm is that we have had a few people interested, but then they seem to have wandered off. No idea why, but it is a little frustrating.

Draakon
15-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Sounds fine to me.

Kozaki
15-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry that I need so much time :o but I think I 'll be ready this or next week

Cebraio
06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I didn't try the MD yet, but since I know how to handle the SE, it shouldn't be too difficult to get into the MD stuff.

So I would like to participate, if you need more scripters*. (Yet I would also like to get some sun this summer ;) )

*meaning I would like to - and can - do more than just missions.
Languages: English and German

Aragon Speed
09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Kevso is out head MD scripter, so send him a PM and he will give you something to work on so you can see if the MD is for you.

He is away doing his RL work ATM, so it maybe a short while before you get a reply.

Badman76
09-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm an absolut beginner on MD scripting but i'm also willing to learn. If someone takes be by the hand (literarly speaking ;) ) i'll do my very best to support you. I have to confess i don't know how much work it will be and if you think i won't be of any help please feel free to tell me.

B76

Aragon Speed
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I get the feeling someone is being overly modest again. :lol:

You are more than welcome to help if you wish, give Kevso a PM. :)

Badman76
09-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I get the feeling someone is being overly modest again. :lol:

I'm your humble servant...

You are more than welcome to help if you wish, give Kevso a PM. :)

He didn't answer to my last one. But i will try again. Maybe via skype...

Thanks for the kind words. ;)

Aragon Speed
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
He didn't answer to my last one. But i will try again. Maybe via skype...
He is abroad working in the middle of a jungle ATM, so he hasn't any net access. Everyone will be contacted by him once he is back.

I don't have an exact ETA for him as I obviously haven't anyway of contacting him either, but he should be back soon. :)

He said he would be away for about 3-4 weeks when he left, but as he is a construction engineer in RL, that can obviously change depending on what happens with his job while he is there.

kevso101
09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
*Kevso springs from the Shadows, sporting a seriously good Suntan and being happy to be back in the UK and back on TXU* :lol:

Ok then all you budding MD programmers take one step forward... wait for it....... :p Yep as you can see my sense of humor is worse than it was before and i can truthfully say i'm a little more insane in the membrane :idiot:

Seriously Guys drop me a pm and i'll send you some stuff to have a look at and we get to work to see how you can help :grin:

You will need a xml editor installed (one that can work with schema's) and you will need an extracted copy of TC.

I use Microsoft's Visual Studio 2008 to edit/create xml files for the MD,'cos it's free (yep i'm a cheapskate :lol:) and it's the upgraded version of the one the beta MD recommended. Not to say that there are others and better ones but that's what i use.

To extract X3:TC you'll need DoubleShadows Mod Manager
http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/

If you get any troubles installing MS VS 2008 or extracting X3:TC, give me shout and i'll see if i can help.... if i can't i know a man who can ;)

Thanks Guys

Kevso :)

Badman76
30-06-2009, 10:53 AM
As far as i can see most of the MD scripting candidates got lost on their way. Maybe they are freightend by the sheer mass of new impressions and informations regarding the use of XML files.

To spare some of 'Master' Kevso's valuable time and to make yourself more comfortable with XML i suggest to take a look at these FREE book (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XML) by Wikipedia hosting general informations about XML. Not all your questions will be answered but the basic ones.

Some german users might find it helpful to read these german version (http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Websiteentwicklung:_XML) first.

EDIT

When you feel comfortable with the informations you gained from the first link - than maybe you want to go deeper into that stuff ;) . Therefore i would suggest to take a look at this documentation (http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/). It is the official compilation of the xml structure designed by W3C. That will go ... much deeper. :lol:

But keep in mind that all of this stuff is just about how XML work in general - not about the specific MD scripting!

May the force be with you, young MD padavan...

B76

Aragon Speed
12-12-2009, 01:43 PM
We are still looking for MD scripters if anyone is interested.

enenra
19-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Heyho.

We're still looking for people willing to work on the MD for XTC. :)

I'd be good if you had some experience with it though before applying. With experience I mean having at least looked through a bunch of existing MD files and having understood the general structure, maybe already written code yourself. (more experience is always welcome of course)
Note that you won't be on the team immediately if chosen. We'll help you improve your MD skills, if needed, until you're able to contribute effectively to XTC MD work. :)

h2o.AvA
23-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I've done a few things in MD, primarily just using MD's features that SE doesn't have, changing music, coloring sector names, creating a sector, destroying a planet, etc.
As far as missions..I've modified a few.. but never attempted to create one.
I've never touched, briefings, conversations, objectives, or steps.
However, if I can be of use, I'm interested in diving a little deeper into MD. :)

Could you PM me on Egosoft's forums? I'm rarely here.
I'll also send Kevso a pm :)

AirstrikeIvanov
07-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Well I've got a little HTML experience, and know a teeny tiny bit of XML, and have tried in the past to get into MD scripting. If you guys can help me along, I'd be glad to get in on this. I've already made a neat little gamestart with an incoming message for a friend of mine one time, so I feel confident that I might be able to get halfway decent.

Wonderbugg
09-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm mostly a VBScript, .NET programmer, but I'm willing to learn this MD and see what I can help out with.

Sundance
19-08-2011, 12:55 PM
I've done a bit (read too much) scripting for several game developers, got disgusted when ideas were laughed at and dismissed so gave it up a few years ago. Now have a lot of free time on my hands...retired :)...so might possibly be able to help in some small way. Would need to delve into the scripting used but figure ya'll could make it a bit less time consuming to learn yet another script with help and advice from other XTC addicts. PM or email me with thoughts.

Eff.Kay
03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Hello,

I'm keen to try my hand at this if there's still interest in people to do so.

But I like to know a bit more about what kind of work you're looking to get done.
Specifically I'm referring to what do is meant by the term "Mission Script Director"?

Is this someone who would just implement / code / program a mission story written by others?
or
Would there be an element of helping with developments in the storyline itself as well?

Either way I'd like to help with both the implementation / coding / scripting work and I'm quite skilled in programming and such.
Plus later on perhaps, I would really (really) like to also contribute into the story elements of the XTC mod too as I do appreciate reading a good. well written storyline. Almost as much as I like to write them as well.

On the skills front, I'm a considerably skilled programmer / developer who has worked with designed / written / developed code in many many languages and systems..
I don't have a "favourite language" as I've worked in almost everything: DB Script, ASM, PASCAL, C(x) [C, C++, C#], SQL and even in xBase on CP/M (32kB is a lot. Really).
Also I have much experience in XML, XPATH and creating protocols, stacks and schemas and systems integration too so .
So I don't think I'd have much trouble with MD Script language and learning how the MD tools work and acquiring all the necessary skills set as I go along.

And then lastly I am a well written technical author in English, which is my primary language, so I am strong in language abilities and communications and would likewise make for a good proof-reader and copy editor. So I'd be more than happy to assist with English language and grammar issues for others too.

Time wise, I can spend a few hours a week (perhaps 10 to 12 hours a week) and I'm flexible as I'm self-employed too.

Aragon Speed
04-09-2011, 03:36 AM
Specifically I'm referring to what do is meant by the term "Mission Script Director"?
I think you must have misread that as we need a 'Mission Director scripter' not a 'mission script director'. X3 has a scripting language based on XML, this is used for creating scripts for missions. The system is called Mission Director, or MD for short. We need people who can write (script) Mission Director scripts.

Makkenhoff
08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Are you looking for people to script pre-planned missions, or expected to do both design and script? My background is in C++ and Java (with a little HTML mixed in). I'm familiar enough with them to write & read code that I'm familiar with. Secondly, I'd be interested in seeing a few sample missions to have a general idea of what I'd be looking at doing. I have to admit... I'm more than a little intimidated with game logic and by extension game scripting in general. The few files in the director folder seemed pretty generic and long, so I didn't think they would be good examples of what your looking for as it seems your looking for specific missions.

Trickmov
08-09-2011, 11:16 AM
It's too late anyway - the 2.0 version will be out this year and getting new into MissionDirector takes too much time anyway... and I fear those examples you have seen in the director folder are the reality a MD-scripter has to face - scripting in it is mainly doing this stuff in an XML-editor.

Makkenhoff
10-09-2011, 02:51 AM
I primarily use PSPad for my editing needs, so swapping languages isn't such a chore since its all in the same editor to start with. All the same, thanks for following up and letting me know.