PDA

View Full Version : The Birthtazura - Part One - Jake and Ariel 06

darkwolf77
07-03-2007, 06:03 AM
This one is pretty long and had to be divided into two parts. I didn't spend a lot of time proofreading it, so excuse any typos it might still contain.

Hope you enjoy!

The Birthtazura - Part One

The Mark One Utility Droid walked back and forth down the corridor, pushing a large broom in front of it as it swept the floor. Jake had to admit that Ariel’s design was far better than his. Maybe it was time for him to stop taking care of the design of all of his projects. Maybe he could just tell Ariel what he wanted and she could take care of the design stage. It would certainly save time.

Ariel’s new design had all of the grace of the human form. It didn’t look like a human, but it moved like one. Of course, it couldn’t look like a human as long as it was covered in teladianium. Maybe they could come up with a way to make it look more like a human by creating some sort of synthetic skin. He’d have to remember to ask Ariel about it
He had taken to calling the droid MOD for short, and today MOD was making his usual rounds, quietly going about his business of cleaning the ship. Jake had no idea why he thought of the droid as a ‘he’. It just seemed to fit.

He’d finally gotten all of the bugs out that her faulty processor core had left behind and she seemed to be learning more and more each day. Life was peaceful, at least as long as he didn’t mention metal bikinis. Just thinking about it made him cringe.

Walking down the corridor towards the cockpit, he cleared his mind for the tasks ahead. The Black Star would be docking at a trading station in Herron’s Nebula and he had a lot to accomplish once they were there. For one thing, he needed new clothes. His current wardrobe was becoming more worn out than a Teladi’s calculator.

Then there was the most important task of all. He had to think of a gift for Ariel. Tomorrow was her birthtazura. Of course, he had no idea what he could get for the feisty blonde who inhabited his ship’s computer. During the many jazuras that he had spent creating her a little at a time, he had somehow decided to give her a feminine personality. He supposed it was just because the previous auto-pilot had had a female voice. Then again, he often wondered if his loneliness had affected his judgment.

The door to the cockpit slid to the side, catching once and stuttering as it went. It was just one more thing to be done when he returned from the station. No, he’d get MOD to handle it.

“Good morning, Ariel.”

“Good morning, Jake. I trust that you slept well.”

“Yes, thank you.”

“No wicked dreams of metal bikinis?”

He groaned. She was never going to let him live that little incident down.

“No, sorry to disappoint you, but no metal bikinis.”

Ariel’s digital face pouted. “I guess I just don’t have what it takes to keep you interested.”

“Would you knock it off, already?” He sat down in the pilot’s chair and started going over the readouts. “What’s our status?”

Ariel sighed. “We’ve just entered Herron’s Nebula. I’m currently bored to death. Your shirt is buttoned crooked and MOD just finished sweeping the main corridor for the sixth time this morning. Did I mention that I’m bored?”

Jake scrubbed his face with his hand. Ariel had recently decided that unless she was teasing him or they were getting chased by someone who wanted to kill them, she was bored. Had he actually thought that life was peaceful just a few mizuras ago?

“While I’m thinking about it, Ariel, can you get MOD to take a look at the cockpit door?” Maybe that would distract her for a while. She took an unholy pleasure in ridiculing the poor maintenance droid.

“Sure.” The ship’s loudspeakers squealed as she cranked the volume to full. “Hey, bucket breath! Get up here and fix the bloody door!”

Jakes hands flew up to cover his ears as she yelled throughout the ship. When she was finished, he checked to be sure his ears weren’t bleeding. It occurred to him that she had apparently grasped the concept of cursing. That was just what he needed, a foul-mouthed ship’s computer.

“Why do you give MOD such a hard time, Ariel? You designed him. I’d think you’d be proud of him.”

“I only designed him because you wanted him so you wouldn’t have to scrub dishes and floors. I never said I had to like him.”

“What’s he ever done to you?”

“Nothing yet, but I can see the evil gleam in his eyes.”

“Oh god, you’ve been watching Paranid vids again, haven’t you.”

“What’s that got to do with anything? Are you trying to tell me that bucket breath isn’t out to get me?”

“Ariel.”

“What?”

“Just dock at the trade station and let me out.”

Mokonzi
07-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Another good installment. The character's are getting a good detailed explanation as to who they are now.

Mishra
07-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Haha, a sadistic shipscomputer! :lol:
Poor MOD...

darkwolf77
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Haha, a sadistic shipscomputer! :lol:
Poor MOD...

Now you know why they like to smash us into gates! :lol:

Star_Raider15
07-03-2007, 02:24 PM
coze MOD took over :lol: