PDA

View Full Version : A New Soul. Part 2

Boomshaka
15-03-2007, 02:28 PM
You know, I'm rapidly gaining a new found respect for DW77, Aragon and SR. and of course Ezra !!!
this is getting harder and harder, I'm still not at all happy with the Xenon dialogue, or a lot of the rest either !!! :cry:
So here's part 2 ( of ? )

A New Soul Chp 2.

Now that the professor was more trusting of him, Gerran was able to learn a little more about the professor and his scheme. Ever since he had stepped aboard the professor's ship, the 'Renegade Heart', the small academic had spent the majority of his time locked in the main cargo hold, which apparently, the professor had converted into his own private laboratory. Untill now this area had been strictly out of bounds for Gerran, but since their encounter with the two pirates, professor Merrick was more inclined to reveal some of his work.

It turned out that the thin academic had been developing new technology associated with automated satellite networks. He had invented a new form of super efficient sub light propulsion, which, when coupled to a highly modified satellite computer system would enable it to evade amost any incoming fire, laser or missile.

As Gerran entered the professor's workshop for the first time he was confronted by an array of half built satellites, electrical and computer parts, " Bloody hell prof, and I thought the inside of my disco was a mess." Gerran joked, which immediately drew a gruff response from the professor.

"I haven't got the time to tidy up. My work is just too important, and besides I know exactly where everything is." the professor said as he confidently strolled into the cargo bay and promptly tripped over an empty satellite casing nearly half a metre wide.

"Ahm.... right then captain." the professor continued as if nothing had happened. " These are why we are out here, well,... not these exactly." he said pointing at the half built satellites scattered around him, " No, these are merely the development phase of course, they are just the means to the end."

"And, what end would that be prof ?" asked Gerran, more out of politeness than any real interest, as he picked up a strange looking computer component that seemed to have grown 8 dangly silicon legs, and started to mimic a spider crawl along the workdesk.

"At the moment, I'm not prepared to comment on that captain, and please, stop playing with those components, you may be very good at blowing things apart, but I'm sure you're not so adept at putting them back together again."

Gerran casually lobbed the part back onto the table, " Ok then prof, so what's the next step then ?"

Merrick walked over to a corner of the Laboratory, where a large plastic sheet was concealing another work bench and announced, " This... is the next step captain," and he drew back the sheeting to reveal what looked like an alpha ray emitter on steroids, he looked at Gerran expectantly, obviously very proud of his creation.

" So,... you've made a ray emitter, big deal prof. "

"No, no.. you don't understand, This is not a weapon captain, quite the opposite in fact, you could call it a ' liberator ', you see, once we mount the emitter onto the primary weapons manifold, this charge generator will cause a build up in the microwave transmitters and that will........."

The professor started to describe the inner workings of the machine, and Gerran found his mind blanking out the professor's voice,

" Sorry Merrick, but science was never really my thing " he interupted, " I can fit that thing into the weapon bay, and I can even fire it if you want, but understanding how it works... no way, you might as well be speaking Khaak for all the difference it would make."

" Oh, yes..of course captain, I do tend to get a bit carried away at times. Well yes, the next step is to modify the weapons bay to accomodate this emitter, and after that......we wait."

" Hey, you're in luck there professor, waiting is one thing I am really good at." Gerran said with a smile, and called over a lifter droid to help transport the professor's invention.

So, they waited, and despite Gerrans enthusiasm, after nearly a wozura even he was finding the waiting to be taxing, it didn't help that the professor was constantly checking up on the situation, and on the 6th tazura, tempers were beginning to fray.

Gerran was absently reminiscing about an evening with an intriguing argon woman he had met some time ago when the professor's voice broke into his daydream,

" Captain ? " a voice behind him demanded,

Gerran turned, and looked at the proffessor as he entered onto the bridge. " Yeah prof, what is it now ?" he responded grudgingly,

" Is there still no response from the automated sat network ?'"

" You know Merrick, It could take a hell of a long time before we get just the right set of conditions you know."

" Yes, Yes, I realise that Captain " The proffessor snorted, " But is there nothing within range ? Nothing at all ?"

" Look Prof, I only fly your damn ship allright ! I can't conjure ships out of mid air " Gerran retorted,

Right on cue, an alarm sounded, and a screen flicked into life in front of him.

" Xenon ships detected.... Sector Danna's Chance, Position 48, 17, 04." the ships computer softly announced.

The proffessor rushed over to the nav console, " Quick Captain, we can't let them get away!" he stated, his whole face alive with excitement and urgency.

Gerran made a point of getting up very slowly and calmly, " Hold on there prof, just because they're out there doesn't mean the situation is right for us, lets have a look at whats out there first, ok." he said as he scanned the console, " Right, it looks like a pair of m's and an LX, well that shouldn't be a problem, oh...wait...this could be trouble.."

" What, what is it ? " the proffesor asked as he rushed over to Gerran's position.

" 4 yaki ships inbound,...... yeah, they're converging on the Xenon "

" Quick Captain, charge the jumpdrive, we have to stop them," the proffessor looked to Gerran " We can stop them can't we ? "

Gerran leaned forward and punched the coordinates into the nav computer " Hell prof, in this ship we can blow them all to Presidents End if we wanted." He looked down at the display, " well we're down to 3 Yaki and just 1 m and the LX, no.....make that just the LX...." Gerran turned to the proffessor, " Better hang on prof, we're about to jump."

" 9.......10..Jumping "

-------------

Xenon L - ID 172585. Systems Analysis
.....Internal diagnostic systems reading..... Hull integrity 46% / Shields damaged 87% / Jumpdrive damaged / Weapons non operational....

ALERT---
Enemy ships detected---- Multiple combat targets --- 3 Enemy ships identified....Prioritizing........
Target 1 of 3 - Identify - Yaki Susanowa...
Combat Systems Inoperable....Combat options......Processing......Collision course plotted......
ALERT---
Missile launch detected....Unidentified Missile Closing.........Warning....Warning......- Missile damage sustained --- Engines malfunctioning.....Combat options.....Zero...
ALERT---
Interstellar Jump detected.......New Primary Threat --- Identify - Argon Centaur..
Argon Centaur engaging Yaki Targets......

Primary Target - Yaki 1 --- Destroyed....

Secondary Target - Yaki 2 --- Destroyed.....

Tertiary Target - Yaki 3 --- Destroyed....

Warning....Argon Centaur closing.....Scanning Vessel....Unknown energy signature identified....Energy signature increasing....Increasing

ALERT---
Argon Centaur firing Unidentified energy weapon.... Evasive thrusters offline.....Warning....

WARNING --- SYSTEMS MALFUNCTION..SYSTEMS MALFUNCTION..SYSTEMS MALFUN.......

-----

" This is the Argon ship, Renegade Heart, Calling Xenon vessel,.... Xenon vessel please respond..."

The proffessor was almost touching the comms unit, as if by willpower alone he could make his message understood.
" Repeat, Xenon Vessel ID 172585, do you understand me.. ?"

Gerran looked over from the captains position, " You know the odds of this working are still pretty slim prof." he said in a sympathetic tone, "No-one has ever tried anything remotely like this before. Hell, we don't even know if the circuitry survived the pulse, and remember, that ship was in a pretty bad state before we even arrived."

" It has to work Gerran, I've put far too much time and money into this experiment for it to fail now." the proffessor responded, although his tone was much less abrupt than normal. Over 3 mizura had passed since they had fired the proffessor's modified energy pulse at the Xenon ship, which was currently drifting lifelessly off the port bow.

A small light suddenly blinked on Gerran's readout and attracted his attention, " Hold on a sec prof.....I've got a charge indicator for the Xenon, yeah, it's showing a power signal. It's real weak but it's there."

The proffessor flicked the comms unit with a renewed hope, "This is the Argon ship, Renegade Heart, Calling Xenon vessel ID 172585, Xenon ship we are not your enemy, can you understand me ...?"

" YES "

" My god!.. it worked!.... it actually bloody worked Gerran !"

" Xenon ship what is your status ?"

" Unable to confirm.....systems integration malfunctioning....system parameters unrecognised...."

" No, no, its Ok, thats how it's supposed to be, don't worry "

" Worry .... We do not recognise....What has happened.....Multiple systems failure....Network failure.....We...."

" Xenon ship, prepare to.."

" WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO US.... .. we are alone,...... we are.....singular,.... I.. am........ one."

" Attention Xenon ship.. prepare for docking procedure, we will manouvere to your position.... hang in there, "

The Centaur slowly swung around, its new and strange looking docking interface extended thin metallic arms, which cautiously encircled the stricken Xenon ship. and gently, oh so gently, pulled the damaged alien vessel alongside.

-----

Eliah
15-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Actually it seems a pretty decent work, not too bad at all, perhaps there might be some problems with specified English, but it seems OK for me (non-native English language speaker).

JayKat
15-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I see you have found out how to spell professor :P

Very good...I enjoyed this chapter too :D

Kat

aVertigo
15-03-2007, 03:47 PM
I like it, keep writing :)

Mishra
15-03-2007, 04:23 PM
And just when it gets really exciting.... chapter ends :x

Kidding :wink:
This is great stuff. You're going exactly where I'd like to go!

Proto
15-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Good stuff. Finaly another combat related fic. there geting rarer and rarer these days :mrgreen:

Mapper484
15-03-2007, 05:13 PM
This was a nice one. O0

Aragon Speed
16-03-2007, 08:33 AM
You know, I'm rapidly gaining a new found respect for DW, Aragon and SR.
this is getting harder and harder, I'm still not at all happy with the Xenon dialogue, or a lot of the rest either !!! :cry:

I don't know about SR15, but that's why DW77 and I write the story and then grit our teeth and go back and change the bits we don't like for one reason or another. And then do it a third time (3rd draft)....and a forth.... :evil: :lol:

Very good second chapter, I want more of this story :jump: :yes: O0

P.S. You might want to refer to DW as DW77 as there is already a DW on the xtended team (Darkwraith), he won't mind, but it will stop confusion. :wink:

Good stuff. Finally another combat related fic. there getting rarer and rarer these days :mrgreen:

Wait until I get going m8. 8) :wink:

Boomshaka
16-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Thx for all the encouragement people, :lol: :D :) :lol:
But if anyone can suggest a better way of writing the Xenon dialogue I'd be really interested, just doesn't seem right to me. :x

@kat, Profffesssorrr. :cry: Yeah, its all on wordpad = no spell checker, still it probably explains my bad marks at Uni .. :oops:

Aragon Speed
16-03-2007, 09:04 AM
@kat, Profffesssorrr. :cry: Yeah, its all on wordpad = no spell checker, still it probably explains my bad marks at Uni .. :oops:

If your using IE7, get ieSpell. Will check your spellings in any web page/form with just a simple right click and choose spell check interface, and it uses almost the same interface as the MS Word spell checker.

I think the way you have written the xenon bit is fine, you might want to use Code tags on it though to make to look more like a computer language. (won't work for a book, but works on the forum OK ;) )

Example:

Xenon L - ID 172585. Systems Analysis
.....Internal diagnostic systems reading..... Hull integrity 46% / Shields damaged 87% / Jumpdrive damaged / Weapons non operational....

ALERT---
Enemy ships detected---- Multiple combat targets --- 3 Enemy ships identified....Prioritizing........
Target 1 of 3 - Identify - Yaki Susanowa...
Combat Systems Inoperable....Combat options......Processing......Collision course plotted......
ALERT---
Missile launch detected....Unidentified Missile Closing.........Warning....Warning......- Missile damage sustained --- Engines malfunctioning.....Combat options.....Zero...
ALERT---
Interstellar Jump detected.......New Primary Threat --- Identify - Argon Centaur..
Argon Centaur engaging Yaki Targets......

Primary Target - Yaki 1 --- Destroyed....

Secondary Target - Yaki 2 --- Destroyed.....

Tertiary Target - Yaki 3 --- Destroyed....

Warning....Argon Centaur closing.....Scanning Vessel....Unknown energy signature identified....Energy signature increasing....Increasing

ALERT---
Argon Centaur firing Unidentified energy weapon.... Evasive thrusters offline.....Warning....

WARNING --- SYSTEMS MALFUNCTION..SYSTEMS MALFUNCTION..SYSTEMS MALFUN.......

-----

Boomshaka
16-03-2007, 09:22 AM
@ Aragon. Cheers chum, very handy info and a great suggestion, 8)

darkwolf77
16-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Another great chapter Boomshaka!

I wouldn't worry too much about the Xenon dialogue. Trying to make the dialogue sound like a computer can be bloody difficult. I know when I was working out MOD's first conversation, I felt like banging my head on a wall. :lol:

If I have to type Mark One Utility Droid one more time...I just did it again, didn't I? <Heads for the nearest wall>

Seriously, though, the Xenon dialogue sounds just fine!

ezra-r
28-03-2007, 05:41 PM
My goodness we're going to have alive Xenon ships everywhere! :D

Btw, I liked this one a lot, right into action and not bla bla bla all the time.

Great job again, cant wait for the rest!

Boomshaka
30-03-2007, 11:29 AM
@ Ezra, thanks mate, it was our prolonged discussion that got my creative juices flowing O0

Might be a slight delay in the next parts though, The Devs are working really hard on .7 and it's tough keeping up with them on the testing side :)

Legartius
30-03-2007, 03:35 PM
That thing a about being one, does it mean that it has been seperated from the 'Hive Mind', and now it is all alone :cry: ? Sounds like quite a nice idea, and reminds me ever so slightly of the Daleks...

Boomshaka
30-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi legartius,
yep the Hive mind Xenon is now singular, but with the same hive mind mentality, ( wait for chp 3 !), its thanks to ezra that I came up with this idea have a look at
http://www.thexuniverse.com/viewtopic.php?t=2723

If you're interested !!! :D

Legartius
30-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I can certainly see the similarities, but you've still done a great job. Both of you :) I look forward to pt3 even more :D

ezra-r
03-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I can certainly see the similarities, but you've still done a great job. Both of you :) I look forward to pt3 even more :D

Sorry to hijack this, but I may be releasing another Nula series of chapters soon.

I tried to find another idea I liked and the idea I liked most was continuing writting about her :)