PDA

View Full Version : So... any word on 2.0 release? Is there a Beta version to enjoy?

Chimeran
07-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Hows the 2.0 coming along?
Any chance of a play with the Beta version, try the quest lines out etc et?
Pretty please with sugar on top.

Thias
07-12-2011, 08:32 AM
2.0 will be out before the end of the year. That's as close an ETA we can make atm as there is a lot of fine tuning to do in certain new systems being implemented.
Here you are.

stemardue
07-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Just to expand the above (exact) reply: beta testing is ongoing, but as for 1.2, it is not a public beta. End of year remains as a target deadline for release, so it really is not so far away...

H-K
07-12-2011, 11:20 AM
I can imagine the team working real hard atm, setting a deadline will do that because I think this mod is like an old house in this way that there is always something to find that still needs some work.

Respect to the modders and testers I'll be waiting to enjoy the fruits of your labor :)

stemardue
07-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I think this mod is like an old house in this way that there is always something to find that still needs some work. ...a labyrinthic dungeon would describe it better :D (PS we actually lost some tester down there... but we hope they'll find a way out soon ^^ ) **EDIT** Alright stemmy.. what did you do with the key to the dungeon then? Azn Oh & before anyone else says anything, let me make one thing clear: I am not one of the guys working on the mod.. (IE: NOT a beta-tester, NOR a member of the dev team..) I'm merely poking fun of stemmy's comments..... Oh alright.. and of stemmy.. happy now? :p :lol: Cheers, NC ;) **END EDIT**

Post EDIT -> aaagh! that voice... that voice with a strange accent in my head! G'day mitey? ...make it stop! :D

iniochos
07-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Thats sounds great.:jump: From what i can see, we will be "fully occupied" the second half of the month. Ver. 2.0 and X-3 Albion Prelude almost the same time. Just Brilliant!!!:jump::jump::jump:

superdave
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
cant wait for the 2.0!!!

Solitas
12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Today was my birthday and as a gift from my boss I got a day off(better than nothing)
From my parents I got an Empty wallet(just like last time sighs)
From my University I got a notice that I have to pay my tuition until the 15th lol.
All in all it was a great day( this is me trying to be optimistic.......it is not working)
OK that was really off topic I assume....:( back to reality: I am eager to get my hands on 2.0 no matter how long it takes you guys to release it because I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do something of this magnitude and quality and I salute you.
This update is gonna be the only present(real present) i will get and enjoy this year and maybe even next year so take your time with it and make us all happy and by judging 1.2a you will do that with flying colors :))

Tritous
12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
lol at the mod wars on stemmy's post.

I guess the big question then is:
Are we looking at 2.0 to be the final or is it foreseen that a 2.1 with minor adjustments / minor additions is likely?

stemardue
12-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Trying to be serious for this time: we have the real intention to release a 2.0 version to be considered final, not just to do it before end of year to fulfill our latest posts regarding a deadline. This can be read also in the thread related to the Albion prelude (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22570-X3-Albion-Prelude?p=207960&viewfull=1#post207960) (ES add on). So we don't plan to have a 2.1 anytime soon.
This does not exclude that there can be some post 2.0 extras, but mainly to address some major bug that (unlikely) might have made it to the release build.
Since i named Albion, i'll tell here as well that we have no plan to port XTC to an Albion-ed version of X3:TC, meaning that XTC 2.0 will require (as it already does) X3:TC updated at the 3.1 official ES patch.

I guess that's all i can say for now - and that we all are waiting for the final build, as soon as our team mates that are being held hostage by an alien race called uniexams will be released ;)

Herocrafter
13-12-2011, 01:04 AM
XTC 2.0 will require (as it already does) X3:TC updated at the 3.1 official ES patch.

As I'm preparing a new install for 2.0 and egosoft has a 3.1.1 patch too I have to ask if the 3.1.1 patch should be avoided and just patch to 3.1?

stemardue
13-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Everything will be indicated in the release post, no worries... so if ES decides to gift us with a 3.1.1.b or whatever else before our release date, we'll keep you informed ;)

Aragon Speed
28-12-2011, 05:17 AM
The only difference between the 3.1 and the 3.1.1 patch is a couple of map changes ES made via MD commands (An extra sector added mainly) as a steam gift type thing and has since released for the DVD version of the game as well. We have already found and blocked the MD changes they made to the map so you may use the 3.1 or 3.1.1 patch, whichever you prefer.

At this point the game is so heavily edited for XTC we are virtually immune to ES patches anyway. (Apart from having to watch out for extra CAT/DAT files being added.)

zazie
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Happy New Year everybody !!
*ahem* Is this hint enough ? ;)

vincentth
04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Well XTC2.0 will be certainly released by the end of <this> year!!! :-)

stemardue
04-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Well XTC2.0 will be certainly released by the end of <this> year!!! :-)

bwahahaha - hopefully before ;)

KromaZone
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Eagerly awaiting the release of 2.0 :lol: X-Tended is one of the best mods out! hopefully will be released soon:grin::grin:

Resheph
05-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Hold Your pants tight! XTC 2.0 won't be any more sooner due to Your asking :P

Eff.Kay
08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I think we can all understand how much more important it is that the XTC 2.0 is done well rather than done quickly.

... and it's software which is always a little late and when I'm behind on a deadline, I always use the phrase:
"Quality Takes Time".

So take all the time you need guys, XTC is THE quality mod so it's gonna take a bit longer.

vega
08-01-2012, 09:01 PM
The reason for asking all the time and trying to get any new info - is not to push/hurry the developers, or blame them taking so long, cause we appreciate the work and do know they will deliver a great product.
But, we are going nuts waiting for it :grin: .. (atleast i am - not one day since 2 weeks where i havent checked the forums but sadly not the slightest info :cry:)

stemardue
08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Ok, the info we can give at this time is only the following: we have a team of testers working at full throttle to corner the last tough bugs and the dev team fixing those when they have been 'trapped'.

Being these the 'last remaining bugs' means also they are the toughest to fix as well, so our devs are also quite busy on that task.

As soon as we finish these fixes we should be ready for the release build, but as you can understand, we can't say if that will happen tomorrow, in a week or later.

Let's just support our devs and send em some good karma to finally squash those last nasty little bugtards ^^

K.J.
09-01-2012, 12:46 AM
to corner the last tough bugs
does that mean there will be no khaak in 2.0 ? :cry:

Nissan_240sx
16-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Are the bugs almost gone? 8)

Aragon Speed
17-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Are the bugs almost gone? 8)
On currently implemented stuff it seems we have tracked down 98% of all bugs and only a few niggley MD bugs remain which are being fixed atm.

However we will be dealing out our final major SE script work for our testers to bug hunt and balance test soon (TM), so not everything is tested yet.

stompy
17-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Well i can't wait for 2.0 and would just like to say you guys are doing a great job ;-)

Thias
17-01-2012, 07:28 PM
98% done?
Assuming, that development took one year = 356 days (since the release of 1.0), the remaining 2% should take about 7 days. 8)
Cant wait!
:jump2:

vincentth
17-01-2012, 10:40 PM
98% done?
Assuming, that development took one year = 356 days (since the release of 1.0), the remaining 2% should take about 7 days. 8)
Cant wait!
:jump2:

It's that kind of extrapolation that sent the Ground Phobos mission to .... ground :-)

Seriously, the last few bugs are the hardest to track down. They must have gotten most of the low-hanging fruits er... bugs.

superdave
17-01-2012, 11:11 PM
im pretty happy about the "it will be released when its done" approach taken with this mod, as opposed to so many software companies "it will be released and if your lucky it will be finished a year later" style of publishing. test the **** outta it!

Apothecarian
18-01-2012, 02:08 AM
im pretty happy about the "it will be released when its done" approach taken with this mod, as opposed to so many software companies "it will be released and if your lucky it will be finished a year later" style of publishing. test the **** outta it!

amen to this mentality of testing. to XTC team: thanks. keep up the good work!

Aragon Speed
18-01-2012, 04:52 AM
98% done?
On stuff currently added for our testers to test. Funny how many people missed the bit about us still having stuff to add for them to test. :p

XTC has been in constant testing since we had anything worth testing (about 2 years now I'd guess) and we still don't catch all the bugs. So I expect that about a week after 2.0 hits 2.1 will arrive to fix the bits we missed. XD

***Sigh. It gets a bit much when you resort to merging your own double posts.... AS***

Thias
18-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Seems my joke got lost in translation...
C'mon guys, I wasn't serious.

Aragon Speed
18-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Seems my joke got lost in translation...
C'mon guys, I wasn't serious.
HA! Gotcha! :p

Nekas
20-01-2012, 12:26 AM
dam been following these forums for some 3 or soon 4 years heck have no idea been reading mainly. so i guess when 2.0 comes out it will be like when i found out my X3TC from old hdd was working(pc was in fire accident and fried) 2days nonstop playing then 1 day break and daily 1-3h play if this thing comes out this weekend. well thanks for working on this mod for sooooooooooooo long some

mnanderson
25-01-2012, 05:23 AM
I hesitate to even ask this, given what are surely frantic (and very much appreciated!) efforts to get 2.0 out the door, but...

Could we maybe get some idea of when 2.0 isn't being released? That'd free me (and everybody else) from refreshing the forums page umpteen times per day. Something on the order of 'it'll be a few days yet, folks!'
One way or the other, though, the XTC team still gets two thumbs up from me. Good luck zapping the last few bugs!

Aragon Speed
25-01-2012, 07:51 AM
The latest eta on finishing off the last scripts that I know of was for the end of Jan. These will then need balance/bug testing. So at a guess 2.0 should be out somewhere between the middle and end of Feb.

And when we reach the middle of Feb, the first person to complain that it hasn't been released yet will personally be banned by me. XD

This is an estimate, it could be sooner or it could be slightly later depending on RL time restraints or testing time needed. ;)

thetack
26-01-2012, 05:23 PM
can i complain now in advance or not,
thanks to you all, programers ,scripters and testers.
waiting for 2.0 is like waitting for you child to be born, when its comes you know your social life is gone and all sleep is gone for at least 6 months

just a quick question how are you planning to release 2.0 will it need a torrent program or will normal download be advalable too .

Edit: doubleposting, please stick to the forum rules. Looking for the last release will answer your question. 2blackhawk

Aragon Speed
26-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Both as normal. A torrent will be available instantly, and adirect download will be available from ModDB the next day. (They are uploaded at the same time but ModDB usually takes 24 hours-ish for the files to be authorised by the ModDB admins.)

Jathor
10-02-2012, 07:03 AM
I was wondering if I am checking at the right place for updates. The latest one I could find dated from last year (link (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22595-XTC-news-24th-December-2011)). I'm just looking for something that says "The project is still under development" or "The dev team was hired by Egosoft and we stopped XTC".

2Blackhawk
10-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Post #35 above??

thetack
10-02-2012, 10:19 AM
will ego be hosting it do you know yet.
Also what would be the best service and way to torrent it as i have never tried before and am thinking of giving it a go, as long as it dosnt cost money that is.

stemardue
10-02-2012, 10:41 AM
thetack

Whoa whoa... relax my friend ^^ we are still working on it, so there is still time for that ;)

Anyways: http://www.utorrent.com/ utorrent is a free torrent client, easy to use and free of annoying ads or hidden catches. I suggest you get that one ;)

Once the downloadable XTC file will be ready, we'll set a torrent link/header so that you will have just to download that (few Kb), open it with utorrent and the app will do the rest, downloading the file for you. At that point you will only need to run the downloaded XTC installer as if it was downloaded from any other source.

No money to shell out ;)

Onishin
23-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Please throw us some update meat : o( I am starving and in need of something... anything about Your progress! I know that patience is a golden perk but I find myself everyday checking on XTC 2.0 mod to come out (it's my first thing to do after waking up).
<begging mode off>

I love Your mod. : o)

Nekas
23-02-2012, 11:26 AM
hehehe you arnt the only one only time i didnt check was the days were i have no internet access.
still i will keep waiting.
i wait for AP 2.0 to so i can continue my argon plot or start terran plot.
for this game you have to do loot of waiting since they try to give us bug free game.
got to love them for that.

stemardue
23-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Hello folks, the only thing i can tell you at this time is (again) that we are still after a pair of bugs that can affect gameplay, so our coding devs (SE and MD guys) are working on those.
Unfortunately these bugs are not just part of some extra feature that could be taken away to speed up a release, thinking of a further integration patch once the issues are fixed... so we are all waiting for the bug-hunt happy ending.
Hard to say when we are done, but we are not trying to keep this back or delay its release just to raise the hype... We would really have been happier if these creepy-crappy-little-bitches wouldn't have made their appearance at this time ^^ (I'm talking about the bugs, not the beta testers :D ) **EDIT** Sure you are, spammy.... :p You believe him, don't you guys? ;) :lol: Cheers, NC ;) **END EDIT**

superdave
23-02-2012, 12:36 PM
thanks for the update! its good to be "in the loop" and have more of an idea of whats going on... the image (in my head anyway) is of a group of modders working at removing the bugs as they are uncovered by the beta testers and to now hear there are only a pair (wether that means 2 or a couple/few really is irrelevant) makes me feel better twice! firstly that we are going to be getting a well tested product, and secondly that that product is that much closer to release! i never really liked that feeling of buying a proggy, getting it home, installing it, running it then thinking... oh, i hope they patch that...
keep up the good work folks!

25-02-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm talking about the bugs, not the beta testers

.... Walks away from key board.

vega
25-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Thx for the update!
Like others, i cant wait to play it :D

lookastychy
29-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Hello guys, im sorry that i bother you now, but tomorrow is the 1st of March and i remember that once we were told that 2.0 will probably up around end of Februar. I do relize this is a major mod and it requires, its time to be done. I dont want to ask any1 to hurry. Im just freaking out here, checking your website every time im near the computer (i belive others do the same thing^^).
Could you please tell us for how long XTC 2.0 will not be released for sure, so we can keep calm and get some life for a few days? I'd really appreciate that info... I want to thank you for your amazing job here, in Poland we say something like 'May The God bless you with children for your work' :P cheers!

2Blackhawk
29-02-2012, 09:17 PM
4 posts above yours is a quite actual status post of one of the XTC team members. Bug hunting is bug hunting and it takes as long as it takes.:x

thedada86
29-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Asking the same questions again and again, wont speed up anything.
Patience is a virtue!

S-P
01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Hello guys, im sorry that i bother you now, but tomorrow is the 1st of March and i remember that once we were told that 2.0 will probably up around end of Februar. I do relize this is a major mod and it requires, its time to be done. I dont want to ask any1 to hurry. Im just freaking out here, checking your website every time im near the computer (i belive others do the same thing^^).
Could you please tell us for how long XTC 2.0 will not be released for sure, so we can keep calm and get some life for a few days? I'd really appreciate that info... I want to thank you for your amazing job here, in Poland we say something like 'May The God bless you with children for your work' :P cheers!

Patience young padwan they ownly have a few more bugs to deal with and then it should be complete, 2.0 is on the horizon I hope.:paranoid:

Solitas
01-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Asking the same questions again and again, wont speed up anything.
Patience is a virtue! Thus, so many sinners...:lol:
I guess that means 2.0 will be out until the end of March or April or May the most :mrgreen:

Trooper1994
01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
2.0 will be out when they say it will be out if thats soon well we shall see,
also might help to quit nagging people!, the team needs its support not questions!.

Trooper.

Locsley
03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
But but, nagging is what I do best :D

No worries for me, I aint got the time to play all the games I want; prob got a back list with games from early 2000.

Just started playing X3 again because of the Albion Addon; happy to see XTC still is moving forward.

Cheers!

H-K
03-03-2012, 11:07 AM
If people could read my thoughts and see how hard it is to wait for more XTC the'd put me in detox :)

vega
03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
If people could read my thoughts and see how hard it is to wait for more XTC the'd put me in detox :)

^this :D

S-P
03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that needs XTC Rehab.:shock:

stemardue
03-03-2012, 04:46 PM
No, really, folks... if you all want to help this release to happen soon, help me hunt Sartorie!!!

I'm starting to fear he run off with a sexy bug he found! :D

(jokes apart... detox/rehab is third door on the left :D )

omg... jokes apart -again- we kindly ask you for a bit more patience ;)

thetack
03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
whats sartorie flying and whats the bounty for his capture :lol:
seriously take your time all we want to know is what are we going to tell the other halfs when its released and they dont see us for days on end.

stemardue
03-03-2012, 07:04 PM
whats sartorie flying and whats the bounty for his capture

He usually flies a "zomg!wtf" which is a pimped up Split prototype, hard to reach and harder to cap ^^ so the bounty is really awesome! I have to warn you though that so far no pilot has ever come back to tell about how the hunt went... ;)

S-P
03-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Sartories missing.:? I hope he didn't get eaten by that giant bug, it wasn't a rock beetle was it...:p

superdave
04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
i think he was [blinded] scared by my solid gold ship and flew off into unknown space

* edit... yeah that is definitely scary! :D / end funny edit *

thetack
05-03-2012, 07:22 AM
maybe he has a rearly bad case of nettle rash them mature ones can be prety nasty :mrgreen:

Mangar
06-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Space needle jelly rub can sooth the icth somewhat.

NovaCatt
07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Hiya Peeps, :wave:

Nah, Sartorie has been found again...... ;)
My personal bet is: he's been shacking up (http://thesaurus.com/browse/shacking+up) with that space nettle hussy (http://thesaurus.com/browse/hussy?qsrc=2446) the whole time...... :p ;) (only teasing, 'Torie ;))

Cheers & Thranx

pulzarokkit
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Every time i open this topic in my mind this pops up:

http://i40.tinypic.com/1zmi9uc.jpg

stemardue
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
OK. Beta 2 has been given today to the testing team, so we are closing by.

Still, there is not a fixed date for the release, but our testing team and the devs are on it.

Please let's be cool and patient a bit more ;)

Thank you all!

Crellion22
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM
OK. Beta 2 has been given today to the testing team, so we are closing by.

Still, there is not a fixed date for the release, but our testing team and the devs are on it.

Please let's be cool and patient a bit more ;)

Thank you all!

You are sexy, or the news, not sure...

PsyKoStorm
08-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I bought an other DVD copy of X3TC only to play this mod. Steam auto update and deleting file is really fun :p
Continue the good work.

PsyKo

Vhyle
09-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Psyko, you do realize that you can install a fresh copy of TC, then copy paste it in a directory of your choice, then rename it right? Also, when doing that, make a shortcut from the .exe from that clean renamed TC, and you can play without having Steam interfere. I've done it with this mod and works every time. I love this mod so much, that I'm uninstalling everything and doing a clean install of just TC so I can play it again (old PC's Vid card finally died, inherited my brother's old laptop, 100x better than my old pc lol).

2.0 sounds great btw, excited to try it out.

EDIT: I need to clarify my post about the folders. What you do is get a clean install, move it to another dir of your choice, and what I do is put this at the end of the name of the t3 folder (- Clean Install) minus the (). Then, I just go ahead and install the XTC and other mods to the steam copy, and then disable automatic updates for TC in the steam library. I had to clarify because when I tried it the way I described it kept trying to load up the steam version :P Sorry about that mix up.

Nightchade
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah....need a WAY bigger towel now.... might have to invest in a life preserver before my drool drowns me.... no, seriously, you guys do awesome work (having worked on a few games in my time, I recognize quality when I see it), and as much as I want to be like "NOW,NOW,NOW,NOW,NOW!!!!!", I know that bug testing takes as long as it takes....after all, if we wanted a crappy, bug ridden game, we'd play something from Microsoft. Take your time, I eagerly await the end result of your labors.

-NC

lookastychy
21-03-2012, 10:14 PM
How is 2nd beta testing going?

Nightchade
22-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Like testing....not really something you can do progress reports on.....I'm just guessing here, but I'm willing to bet that when they have something to tell us, they will post it. As to how many bugs are found and killed: do you really want to be told when they fix some (recently developed) glitch? When you bug test games, there is a VERY strong possibility that the fix for a bug will cause another issue, which then has to be fixed, and so on. I've seen domino-effect bugs develop out of the most innocent fixes.... just look at skyrim, they fix one thing, something else breaks. XTC is almost unique in the amount of support the devs give to the mod, and it shows. The amount of polish in this mod is ridiculous ,they actually made a game run better WITH the mod installed! That (other than, say, titan quest's 1.17a fan made patch) is a first, i think. They have said it will be done soon, and have in fact previously stated that they tell us what they can, when they can, NDA's being what they are. We're just going to have to wait and see, I think. Bugging the **** out of them for updates, (while a sure sign that the team's work is very appreciated) is only going to serve to irritate them and slow down actual work. Just my 2 cents there. -NC

stemardue
22-03-2012, 07:55 AM
I can only say that our beta testing thread (in a private devs only area) has reached a 14 page length - and other than that there is a proper bug reporting section... so... the soup is still cooking ;)

ludicer
22-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Gotta say, there's a hoard of hungry xtended zombies with growing appetites as the kitchen smells increasingly ecstatic:lol:... No pressure... just mentioning :grin:

Nightchade
22-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Indeed.... (goes back to drooling)

Aragon Speed
22-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Indeed....
Have you been watching too much SG1 lately? :D

Nightchade
22-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Nope, just a big, big fan of ppl who r good at what they do, and you guys rock at this...i have NEVER seen a full conversion mod make a game actually function better than the vanilla game it was made for. So, color me impressed. :) (The color of impressed is an off-teal, btw.)

Solitas
22-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Nightchade View Post
Indeed....
Have you been watching too much SG1 lately?
I use that word often myself as well as ``I see....`` :lol:

Nightchade
25-03-2012, 04:22 PM
As an excellent (and well-timed) example, the 1.5 patch for skyrim was just released, and do you know what the most common new "feature" is? Crashes. Specifically, when you have housing mods installed. Fix one thing, five others break. I stand vindicated... and I'm just gonna sit here and lurk, i think....seriously, take your time, guys, I'd rather just wait for it to be as bug-free as possible.

Neurotoxin
26-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I share a similar angst with regards to the XRM mod for Vanilla TC. Once 1.19c was released to fix the problems they overlooked with 1.19, I can't go longer than 10 minutes without a crash so I'm going to have to write off my savegame. :(

I only bring up the topic because I've beat 1.2a to death and needed a new challenge. ;)

Guess it's back to trolling TXU til 2.0 manifests its flawlessly stable beauty. :)

26-03-2012, 12:48 AM
flawlessly stable beauty

I think you trying to set the bar a bit high there champ. No offense but I don't think any one should think that 2.0 will be flawless. That implies we testers found every bug that could be found and the devs fixed them all as well as fixed all the hard coded bugs etc. 2.0 will be what it will be nothing more and nothing less. I have no doubt that these forums and the ES thread will be rife with complaints as well as bug posts about every thing we missed and every thing we could not fix such as what is hard coded for example, with in mere minutes of 2.0's release. I for one will not promise perfection or that I found every bug or that it will be flawless or perfect. However I think I can safely say that most will find it fun and entertaining and maybe even a bit challenging or down right aggravating just as I'm sure my self, the rest of the testing team and I'm sure the dev team has as well.

As far as stability is concerned, I've been a tester since almost the beginning and still have stability issues, and to this day could not tell you why. Is it the game it's self? The mod? Something borked with my system hardware/soft ware/driver ect wise? (It's probably that last one) No way to guarantee stability as every one's rig/set up is different and no way logistically possible to diagnose all those rig's to determine why any one of us might have an issue.

Despite that I do want to say thanks for the vote of confidence in our scripting, modding, modelling and testing abilities.O0

Cheers

Neurotoxin
26-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm not trying to set a bar and I'm fairly used to everything failing; I'm pretty much the embodiment of Murphy's Law. All I'm saying is that I trust the XTC team to do what it does best and 1.2a has been stable enough to be considered reliable thus far -- doesn't need to be perfect so long as it's not crapping out due to negligence.

To be honest, I wonder about how well the game itself is written, as it seems my savegames always decay to a state of instability regardless of what mods I'm running, though XTC has stood the test of time better than most.

We'll see how things turn out. I trust that complaints will be largely unfounded, for if the team does its due diligence then the only culprit for such stability errors is the game itself.

;)

mnanderson
28-03-2012, 11:32 PM
It's gonna happen eventually, I suppose; in the interim, I've started playing my old 1.2 game again to get limbered up for 2.0. It's reminded me exactly why I'm so eager for 2.0; not because 1.2 is particularly buggy, but because 1.2 is awesome, and would be even more awesome with the new ships and stations. All the other new goodies are interesting too, but the teaser glimpses of the new race stations alone make 2.0 a must have.

Herocrafter
29-03-2012, 05:44 AM
The interim has me plodding through AP polishing my economic skills. Looking forward to any new wares and a new economy to play in.

Joelnh
29-03-2012, 12:39 PM
I am looking forward to 2.0 and all other potential Mods released by this group.... I have been Very Impressed with the improvements to the gave I have seen in XTC.

It's nigh impossible to catch all bugs, there are so many combinations of drivers, hardware, software, mods, testers and players.... all could have a part in the stability to some extent.
(meant in a humorous way, I am in a silly mood today....and couldn't resist. ) :D

Flyguybc
01-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Any update on the ETA of 2.0?

I know you guys probably can't give a hard date yet. But just an update every couple of days would be nice. Even if it's saying "still zeroing in on our last bugs".

Have yal fixed any of the last few yal were working on?

vega
01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
I am literal dying waiting - because i know the work you do will rock :D
... at least that is what i hope ;p

Solitas
02-04-2012, 12:18 PM
The suspense is killing me (almost literally:shock: ). The first thing I do after I start my laptop: Check for any news about XTC.....
The last thing I do before turning off my laptop: Check for any news about XTC(then start crying like a little girl until I fall asleep :lol: )

thedada86
03-04-2012, 07:13 PM
The first thing I do after I start my laptop: Check for any news about XTC.....
The last thing I do before turning off my laptop: Check for any news about XTC

And I thought, im the only one doing that...
Seriously, we all know the thrill, when opening this page. Guess which side appears when i start my browser!

Exsilium
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Its April... I remember back in January waiting for the end of February. I wonder if I should have volunteered my skills (im a graduate of UAT) to help.

Personally, I would rather play a buggy version (call it beta if you want) of the MOD and deal with patches and potential start over requirements than perpetually wait. I fear X Rebirth will come out before this MOD update does.

On that note, I will say this; I appreciate your effort and initiative.

Exsilium

thetack
04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
so whats the worry the choice of a bug free 2.0 or an extreamly buggy rebirth on release.
personaly i dont care which comes out first as i have no intention of puting a steamworkis game on my pc ;)

H-K
05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I think the release of a new version is quite a big thing and that's why the team tries to release only the 1 update called 2.0.

Seen this before with Reunion when the team said they made 1 more update and then would stop working on it and took some time off untill the next X3 game would be out and ready for modding.

Imo this team is just some peeps having fun with modding and not a company that brings out patches all the time so if there is gonna be only 1 release then it's only fair they take their time and make it good as possible.

Eliah
05-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Well said, H-K.
The trouble with "beta" releases is that it makes absolutely no difference what it is called. Is it up for public download? Does it have bugs/missing content/gamebreaking issues? Then you released a buggy mod, end of story. All the fluff about "beta", "wip", "constant patches" does not change the fact that a player will start up the game, play for a bit and have a bad experience due to missing features and bugged functionality. What you give to the public the first time is what the impression will be based on. It is what the end-experience will be created by. We don't want the players to have a bad, buggy playing experience.
Furthermore.. the X games do not cater for streamed frequent patches.. For one, the playthroughs last an insanely long time. You save your game, you load it up later, you save again, etc. etc. for weeks and months. You don't start over every two days from blank slate, you build a persistant character and a persistant universe that endures for as long as you keep loading that save. In this matter, what if the first few weeks of your in-game universe were done in a completely bugged/unfinished state? What should you do when a patch is released? Do you start over (and lose a lot of the novelty by having seen certain things already)? Do you carry on (and thus end up missing a lot of the stuff, or having only played a bugged version of it)?
Also.. patching in itself can be a big issue. We frankly want the players to simply install the 2.0 once, and be done with it as much as possible. Suppose, four months after 2.0 release, you want to revisit and replay it. Install X3, patch that, install 2.0.. Already we are talking of big downloads and slightly messy installation procedure. You have all seen the threads with users having taken wrong steps in installation procedures, missing some X3 patches, etc. etc... What would happen if you'd also have to install 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.2b, 2.0.21, 2.0.4a, 2.0.4b, 2.0.4b hotfix? What if three random patches from that list would require yet another restart? ... As it is, 2.0 will need a restart - there's no way around that. We aim to make that the last restart you'll have to make in XTC. Because let's face it - X3 itself is a long-running, long-burning game template. Frequent restarting is directly against that principle...

And finally.. there is the matter of fixing bugs, but there is also the matter of developing features. You can't simply "patch in" a massive feature at some point after release - especially if that is something crucial to the gameplay itself! If it greatly alters the way the game's universe behaves, then it should be in from the very start, after all..

lookastychy
05-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Well said, H-K.
The trouble with "beta" releases is that it makes absolutely no difference what it is called. Is it up for public download? Does it have bugs/missing content/gamebreaking issues? Then you released a buggy mod, end of story. All the fluff about "beta", "wip", "constant patches" does not change the fact that a player will start up the game, play for a bit and have a bad experience due to missing features and bugged functionality. What you give to the public the first time is what the impression will be based on. It is what the end-experience will be created by. We don't want the players to have a bad, buggy playing experience.
Furthermore.. the X games do not cater for streamed frequent patches.. For one, the playthroughs last an insanely long time. You save your game, you load it up later, you save again, etc. etc. for weeks and months. You don't start over every two days from blank slate, you build a persistant character and a persistant universe that endures for as long as you keep loading that save. In this matter, what if the first few weeks of your in-game universe were done in a completely bugged/unfinished state? What should you do when a patch is released? Do you start over (and lose a lot of the novelty by having seen certain things already)? Do you carry on (and thus end up missing a lot of the stuff, or having only played a bugged version of it)?
Also.. patching in itself can be a big issue. We frankly want the players to simply install the 2.0 once, and be done with it as much as possible. Suppose, four months after 2.0 release, you want to revisit and replay it. Install X3, patch that, install 2.0.. Already we are talking of big downloads and slightly messy installation procedure. You have all seen the threads with users having taken wrong steps in installation procedures, missing some X3 patches, etc. etc... What would happen if you'd also have to install 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.2b, 2.0.21, 2.0.4a, 2.0.4b, 2.0.4b hotfix? What if three random patches from that list would require yet another restart? ... As it is, 2.0 will need a restart - there's no way around that. We aim to make that the last restart you'll have to make in XTC. Because let's face it - X3 itself is a long-running, long-burning game template. Frequent restarting is directly against that principle...

And finally.. there is the matter of fixing bugs, but there is also the matter of developing features. You can't simply "patch in" a massive feature at some point after release - especially if that is something crucial to the gameplay itself! If it greatly alters the way the game's universe behaves, then it should be in from the very start, after all..

Yeah, so... When is 2.0 going to be released?

Just kidding, its ok that you want to make xtc perfect, take all time you need. We all just want some updates from time to time. Like someone above me said, most of us wakes up and checks txu for updates, do some stuff, checks for updates, do more stuff, checks for updates etc...

thedada86
05-04-2012, 01:47 PM
We all just want some updates from time to time.

I can dispense with any updates. Why should the team spend time on explaining every step they do? Many of us lack the knowledge to understand all those working steps. And the results would be....more questions and probably misunderstandings.

There is only one update, I'm checking for. No matter how long it takes.

lookastychy
05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I can dispense with any updates. Why should the team spend time on explaining every step they do? Many of us lack the knowledge to understand all those working steps. And the results would be....more questions and probably misunderstandings.

There is only one update, I'm checking for. No matter how long it takes.

Thats you, but there are other ppl here u know. Im not talking about updates like "we have fized that and that, but something new pop up", id rather see simple note saying "there is still some stuff to do, so xtc wont be out for next two weeks". Everybody happy, we have sure info, staff members dont have to bother answering questions :]

Galder
05-04-2012, 05:59 PM
;) Wouldn't that be a little boring?

At the end of the development, there's always work, plain work. The difference for all these cheerful announcements on forum sites, that something will be in development, and it will be a fantastic, mind blowing mod, and a serious mod projects is that the ideas are really written into code. This is hard and boring work. It's something for people with dedication and the will and patience to finish what they have promised. Not everyone gets excited if they discover that their plans for this and that are working, even the code is manageable... but to actually write it into a form that is used by a game, it may take weeks or even months. I can't comment on the XTC development, as i'm bound by the NDA. What i can do is to express how impressed i am by the work which is and has been done. Dillpickle's amount of work going into the MD is amazing, and i'm very curious to see the results. Judging about the work already done, it will be definately heads and shoulders above comparable missions. The dedication of sartorie, the whole framework for XTC is unbelievable. Without him, 60% of XTC wouldn't exist at all, and he's still coding. That's an impressive work, and he never delivered anything unfinished. His work is so complete and almost flawless, that i can't remember to see more than one or two issues reported. Also, all the testers, who have spent countless hours on playing a game in a twisted, boring and repetitive manner, just because of feature tests and bug hunting needs to be mentioned. To play a game in development/alpha/beta/whatever state isn't exactly fun. You can enjoy some features abnd see the results, but repeating missions 20 times in a row, letting games run for more than 30 hours, this needs also a special kind of dedication to a mod.

That's as far as i'd comment on the XTC progression ;)
/edit:
If this sounds bootlicking... yes it is :mrgreen: It's not only meant to please someones ego, but to show how much work is going into the mod without telling anything. I read some speeches in front, to get this special "promise all, say nothing", to not violate any NDA ,attitude :mrgreen: The work going into the mod is greatly appreciated.

Exsilium
05-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I feel the need to iterate that I am extremely grateful for this mod and the sheer effort the team has put into it.

While the inherent problems with a beta release would not bother me, ie: having to start over, missing features, etc., I realize that this mod is not being developed for me, but for the community.

As such, I will continue to patiently wait for the day I can waste my life away once the new version is complete.

-Exsilium

Ambientus
06-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I for one am looking forwards to having to start over.
Its always fun to have to scrape around for credits to get the most basic upgrades on your measly ship.

Aragon Speed
06-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I realize that this mod is not being developed for me, but for the community.
Actually we create the mod for ourselves. Like 90% of all mods released, we didn't like the vanilla experience and so changed what we didn't like. The biggest difference here however is that X-Tended is lucky enough to have some of the best modders in the community working on it, so we can change more of the game than most teams can and therefore deliver a better experience to the player.

We have been modding Terran Conflict for over three years now, and there is no way in hell that anyone puts in that amount of work and loses that amount of their spare time just for someone else. You have to be personally involved and motivated in a project to invest that kind of time into anything.

Yes we release our work to the public, and yes we like the fact that others enjoy what we have done with/to the game, but at the end of the day if we were doing something we couldn't or wouldn't play ourselves, then ultimately there would not be any point in doing it. ;)

Aragon Speed
10-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Thread split. New topic here: http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22772-XTC-New-game-discussion

Aragon Speed
14-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Small update.

Currently we are being held up by one nasty S.O.B. game stopping bug that is causing a game lock after prolonged play (24+ hours in-game time minimum).

Sartorie is trying to track it down as it is new in the beta 2 build where we added a bunch of scripts, but so far the cause has remained elusive.

TopAce6
14-04-2012, 08:23 AM
so what only like a million lines of code? no problem i bet that takes 5 minutes to fix :)

so in order to recreate the bug, do yall have to start a new game and have it run for 24+ hours? or can you reload a earlier save? because that would be one bitch of a bug having ot wait 24+ hours to see it happen every time....yikes!

K.J.
14-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Its a very nasty bug, the endboss-bug blockading the gate to release. If Sartorie manages to slay this monster he shall be sung in the sagas.

Nemoricus
14-04-2012, 11:58 AM
That is pretty nasty. I wish you guys the best of luck in tracking it down.

Thanks for the update, though!

nasty one
14-04-2012, 04:13 PM
just wonder... when you add new stuff to beta do You add as much as you can then say stop and test it whole ,smaller packages of scripts or each one separately?

stemardue
14-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Since the first XTC we wanted to assume a 'serious' dev stance (if we can be serious in such a team of crazy pals) - so we followed the 'standard' of build-names. We have been adding new stuff during the alpha stages, leaving the betas for true testing and bug-hunting. So... we have really stopped adding new things some months ago. Sure during beta there are still minor additions, cosmetic changes and such, but nothing really substantial.

Predawn
14-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Think of the advantages of waiting for 2.0, like upgrading or replacing your PC to an awesome performance standard.

Mangar
15-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Small update.

Currently we are being held up by one nasty S.O.B. game stopping bug that is causing a game lock after prolonged play (24+ hours in-game time minimum).

Sartorie is trying to track it down as it is new in the beta 2 build where we added a bunch of scripts, but so far the cause has remained elusive.

Ahhh, so bug has a name after all, S.O.B.>:D So I guess I can poke Sart when hes' got time :ninja:
And I say no more. I said enough else where, Sartories Obvious Bug :rolleyes:

Flyguybc
17-04-2012, 03:03 PM
It's a Xenon virus created to thwart XTC!! Send in the Valhalla!!

Good luck Satorie!!

And a huge thank you to Argon Speed for the update! Knowing what's going on and what yal are struggling with helps me feel like a part of the process. Even if all I can do is cheer yal on! :xtcflag:

Crellion22
17-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Best of luck Sartorie. Even if you stoped now I would be greatful for having had the opportunity to play xtc version 1.whatever. Ty dude and all of you.

Tictac
18-04-2012, 02:49 PM
I’m sure you Dev’s have everything under control, but could any of us hungry TXU minions help in any way? i.e make the tea’s n coffee’s or pop down to the hardware shop for bug spray or some TDS testing perhaps?

K.J.
18-04-2012, 06:18 PM
pizza... delivering pizza to us would be most helpfull :D

lookastychy
18-04-2012, 09:34 PM
I've worked in a few pizza restaurants in the past, so i could help with that, You guys just need to figure out how to deliver a hot pizza from Poland to you :P

K.J.
19-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Guess i'm the luckiest one then, living in Germany Dresden - the pizza propably would be cold but still perfectly eadible *g*

We'll use the wwpdn, world wide pizzadistribution-network for software developers :D

stemardue
19-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I'll thank you for the nice offer and will make my own (only for distance issues... ^^ )

Heteran Leticron
19-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Considering those dumping prizes for a sinza, those delivery services should realy think about outfitting their cars with them. that way the food arrives allmost in the same state, it left the kitchen!

besides, hello fellow citizen, K.J.

lookastychy
19-04-2012, 04:59 PM
You guys should definitely implement "pizza delivery" mission to xtc :]

thetack
19-04-2012, 05:38 PM
i can drop aragons round as i only live about 7 miles from him ;)

20-04-2012, 05:11 AM
You guys should definitely implement "pizza delivery" mission to xtc :]

If you even think I'm going to waste what little free time I have to bug test that, then you have gone absolutely space happy.:furious:

Mangar
20-04-2012, 06:12 AM
If you even think I'm going to waste what little free time I have to bug test that, then you have gone absolutely space happy.:furious:

Agree with @101010 (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=3531) , If we did, you would then want varity missions with toppings like Cahoonas, Chelts and/or Spaceflies.:) No offense Stemmy:lol:. I don't even want to make my head hurt thinking of the Food menu in a players hand book.

But then again, I think he was saying that he is picking up the tab if someone would send the group pizza, so we don't have to stop building and testing.:think:,.....>:D....:rofl:

stemardue
20-04-2012, 09:47 AM
No offense Stemmy

None taken :D - but your tag...oh your tag... I don't know how that happened... :p

Joelnh
20-04-2012, 12:32 PM
I can see a war starting over a delivery mishap.... boron military station orders from a local split pizza joint.
and the pizza arrives loaded with anchovies......

Aragon Speed
21-04-2012, 07:27 AM
With "southern-fried spaceflies" as a side order....

Mangar
27-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Funny,..."Web Cam Let down".....

"is it ready yet?" And those so disappointed, really hoping for a slight chance, you'll wake up on the weekend and find a link to down load it,....
and.......its.... just.....not......there......!!!

Sorry guys, I just had too, I just saw this and thought this really grabs the feeling of, "Oh man!":cry:
I feel this could be used as a sticky for those specail moment post when you can't have your way all the time!!!!!!

You know one of those "Not my Battleship!:shock:" moments!

"No bananna chips on that pizza!" Anyway, its something to break the ice for a good laugh to hold us over.;)

Aragon Speed
29-04-2012, 05:42 AM
OK, this thread has now totally deteriorated into spam. So I'm going to have to lock it.