PDA

View Full Version : Ships Ship texture competition

Galder
26-02-2012, 06:38 PM
We have a winner! ;)

Now, as promised, i did a mod for the textures. Thanks to Mokonzi for providing the needed space for the files! This mod is meant to be used with XTC exclusively. The mod is not only containing my own work, but also the work of a TXU user, so it's not allowed to use the textures/models anywhere else, as i can't give permission on my own. This is nescessary because there will be further texture competitons, and some other people will win also (hopefully ;) ) So i don't like to ask 50 people before giving a permission ;) You can, of course use it for personal purposes, as long as the files aren't redistributed. As the files were done with the help of TXU users, and Mokonzi is hosting them, i declare the mod by the force of my sheer willpower as a TXU mod for XTC 1.2a ;)

The mod contains now:
1) The black flame falcon, aka Pirate Falcon
2) The scratched green falcon, aka Pirate Falcon Vanguard
3) The salamanders eye falcon, aka Pirate Falcon Sentinel

This mod does not change language files, so it's compatible with all languages provided with the original X3 TC game. It's also compatible to 99% of all mods running with XTC 1.2a, regardless if it is CODEA, MARS, whatever. It is not compatible if you install a mod or XSP ship which replaces a pirate falcon model! But that should be obvious.

And here it is... LLLLlllllllllllet's get ready to RRRRRRRrrruuuuumbleeeeee!!:

->TXU Falcon Competition v1.0 (http://www.thexuniverse.com/downloads/TXUFalconCompetitionv1.zip)<- Click here to download

Step by step installation guide:
The mod will be applied as a fake patch. That means:
1) Download the TXUFalconCompetition zip file.
2) Search on your HDD for the folder containing the x3tc.exe (where you have installed the XTC mod!)
3) Unzip the downloaded file into the folder containing the x3tc.exe
4) Look at the cat and dat files installed in the same folder which is containing the x3tc.exe. Note the highest number. Rename the TXUFalconCompetition.dat and TXUFalconCompetition.cat to exactly one higher than the files which are already there. If the highest cat/dat is 16, rename them to "17.dat" and "17.cat" (without quotations of course ;) )
5) Start a game and look for some pirate falcons ;) It doesn't need to be a new game, but it may take a while before the new textures will show up, as only newly spawned pirates will have the new texture.

Troubleshooting:
If you encounter any problems, do not do a new save. Quit the game without saving. Remove the cat/dat files you renamed and start your game again. Fly to a sector which does NOT contain any pirate Falcons, not even somewhere out of the scanner range. Make a fresh savegame in that sector and quit the game. Install the fake patch again like described above and load the fresh savegame. It should work now. It should have worked before also, but you never know which nasty bug may happen on the system of someone else ;) Do not try this when sitting in a pirate falcon yourself! Use a different ship, even a normal (not pirate falcon) will work.

Step by step deinstallation guide:
1) Remove the the cat/dat files you renamed in the installing process... yep, that's all. You shouldn't SIT! in a reskinned ship in your savegame ;)
2) If anything goes wrong, refer to the troubleshooting advise. Just don't add the mod cat/dats once again :mrgreen:

I'm still tinkering around with painting ships in a different way. One thing that was always a problem in the X series is that you can't really customise your ship appearance, apart from the spray shop in your HQ. But to be honest, it doesn't really change ships in a decent way. Creating new ship skins is not rocket science, but it affords a lot of knowledge and tools to get a decent result. Unfortunately, the file hoster of the PiratePack mod i did was shut down, so there's no download available. So after i have finished my own set of pirates ithought it'd be a good idea to get some more input from other people, how they would paint their ships. So here it is, the

Ship Texture Competition!

As you can see, there's a jpg image attached at the end of this post. It contains the relevant parts of a Teladi Falcon (Pirate). I've arranged it already, so you can see which part will be roughly at which place of that ship model. Download that jpg image and paint the parts in any way you prefer them. There's no need for any fancy painting program or tool, everyone with a standard windows installation can use, draw and paint the image, as even the windows paint tool is able to edit this format. Save your work and post it. You should be able to upload it here, or on any image hosting service (imageshack or photobucket for example).

The best textures will be used in a skin mod for XTC, and the winner will find his ship even flying around. Others will be added as buyable ships. So whatever you feel like a falcon should look like, a fierce pirate skin, a model with a shiny or fancy corporation logo, the skin of the Teladi millitary on the side.... just go ahead. I'll sort out the details and work the images into the actual texture for the ships. If i get enough suggestions, i'll try to do that for other ship models as well. Everyone dreamed of having his own custom texture on ships in game, this is your chance ;) So be a bit creative and have some fun ;)

/edit: The only technical requirement is, that the image settings and the length/width of the given texture parts aren't rearranged, stretched or enlarged.
/edit2: There should be NO copyrighted materials used. It shoudl be distributed later on, and i don't want to get sued for that ;)

superdave
26-02-2012, 07:42 PM
any chance we can get one without the decals? like, just the plain metal version? alternately, can you point to the file in the install?

Galder
27-02-2012, 12:22 AM
That would require you to have a working dds plugin ;)
You don't need to use the textures given above, this is just a stencil to show the pattern which will be aligned where on the ship hull. It's easier for me to copy the material in the right size. If i have to shrink it, because it extends the edges, it may loose details, for example. But if you cut away the innermost texture, leaving only a small outline, i'll know where it should be placed. You can also just draw the outline of the texture details yourself. If it has the right size, there's no problem with that. If you prefer to have just a logo on the stock ES texture, just leave the background color plain white, and drop me a line in your post ;) I'll see what i can do.

pulzarokkit
27-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Ok, lemme break the ice, here is a pirate falcon.
Some of you will like it some of you won't.

Neurotoxin
27-02-2012, 05:25 PM
A quick render I drew up for the Teladi military. This would be a counter-terrorism livery employed in Teladi space, and operated by special forces on detail. Ultimately this livery would be recognized, by its distinction from traditional ship decoration, as a highly-trained government-sanctioned operating force on a specific assignment. I would hope that this concept suits the theme of XTC 2.0's advent of racial military quick-response to an incursion in home space.

Due to the proposed rarity and ideology of this livery, sporting it in pirate fashion would be a huge accomplishment (or dishonour), and even in Teladi neutral space should not be taken lightly.

Galder
28-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Kudos to both of you ;)

Very nice ideas... and to add some brain teaser, here is what it'd look like, if pulzarokkit's texture is applied in game (screenshot is attached).
The outlines of the frames and the skull is crystal clear and smooth. Only the reflection of the sun is softening up the image a bit. I couldn't come up with a better angle to catch most of the details. This is a stock teladi Falcon, but only in my mod environment. So some details, like the weapons, may look different later on. The blue roof parts may need a bit of tweaking, but that's secondary, the picture should show how your work will look in game ;)

Neurotoxin
28-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Looks great Galder, and the skin looks nice when applied to the ship. Personally I think the skin should be a bit more "aged" to suit the grunge of the ship, but I wouldn't mind at all adding that to the fleet :D

Galder
28-02-2012, 10:44 PM
;) That's personal preference. The picture above is only a VERY rough copy and paste job, which was done in an hour or so. But it's a 1 to 1 copy of the given image of pulzarokkit. Absolutely nothing was changed, so it's not only a teaser, but also a proof of concept for the details given in your uploaded images.

Your images are a bit smoothly colored. The green may not look as you may expect it... it looks a bit greyish, so for example the small wings don't look a lot different compared to the original ones. The Skull with the two sabres will look exactly as you expect it. I'll add a screenshot with your texture tomorrow, i only need a bit spare time ;)

superdave
28-02-2012, 10:56 PM
good to see where everything fits! thanks!

Neurotoxin
28-02-2012, 10:58 PM
;) That's personal preference. The picture above is only a VERY rough copy and paste job, which was done in an hour or so. But it's a 1 to 1 copy of the given image of pulzarokkit. Absolutely nothing was changed, so it's not only a teaser, but also a proof of concept for the details given in your uploaded images.

Your images are a bit smoothly colored. The green may not look as you may expect it... it looks a bit greyish, so for example the small wings don't look a lot different compared to the original ones. The Skull with the two sabres will look exactly as you expect it. I'll add a screenshot with your texture tomorrow, i only need a bit spare time ;)

Oh no worries, I understand that you didn't change anything, and my skins aren't meant to look bright and shiny. Quite the opposite, in fact. The point of camouflage is subtlety, and hopefully the dark, gunmetal green blends with the naturally coloured Teladi home space well enough. Realistically, warships in space would be matte black without any lights or reflective surfaces to give off signature in times of complete discretion.

Pulzarokkit's skin looks good. ;)

Galder
28-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Updated the OP.... it should be clear that no copyrighted material is used for your texture. I don't want to get sued for distributing someone elses work ;) That's just a sidenote, but unfortunately nescessary in our times.

Neurotoxin
28-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Any chance you'll be doing other ship models, particularly of larger vessels?

It would be awesome to see some unique military flagships prowling the modern tradelanes.

Galder
28-02-2012, 11:41 PM
That's... erm... complex. I'm still struggling to develop some decent technique to generate bump maps, and those bump maps are absolutely critical on larger objects to get a good result. Repainting something is only a part of ships, for example, the caps are using almost the same texture sizes (2048x2048 ), and also, they don't use tiled textures. Tiled textures are a lot more easily to handle. Also, it'd need to adjust the LOD textures. Currently i'm using only a single layer in the textures, the vanilla models have up to 15 different ones, but unfortunately the program i'm using isn't able to handle layers with different sizes as a volume map. So that's a technical problem. On these fighters, the highest texture is always applied to any LOD, so it looks decent. But if you have 40 and up of them in a single sector with a lot of other objects, you may notice a hit in your FPS. Depends on the machine and the running MD files/scripts in the background. The plain XTC is able to handle that, but i don't know what'll happen if you have a complete CODEA group working ;) Also consider that a lot of GFX is enhanced and streamlined in XTC, compared to vanilla. For example the bullet textures, to get a smooth combat. And still, after some time and an increasing empire, your FPS drop due to the amount of files running.

Tweaking large objects, like M7 and up, may give unexpected results, as there are a lot more polies and so on ;) Maybe i'll be able to sort those things out, but that's a bit complicated.... I was trying to give the Phoenix a texture like the orcish armor from Oblivion and ran into several problems. Anyway, it may be possible, but that still requires a lot to learn for me, as i'm doing all that by hand, and not by application ;)

Neurotoxin
28-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Sounds like fun.

3.40 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and Nvidia 560 so I laugh in the face of framerate, but indeed I saw a lot of lag, especially in Vanilla XTC, when lots of capitals were on the field so I acknowledge your concern. Thankfully the XTC team took the initiative and economized combat aesthetics (personally I don't even need to see lasers unless they're huge, since they're just clutter), and lessened the blow on my poor hardware once upon a time.

pulzarokkit
29-02-2012, 08:00 AM
And I was thinking that if you import the skin it would look afwul :D
As for the grayish looks, well i dind't have the original metalic texture so i whipped up a new one... maybe you can tweak it so it blends in better.

Galder
29-02-2012, 08:29 AM
I think the grey you chose is pretty decent, as it seems to have the right brightness to expose the black and white parts of your texture without giving the impression of standing out too much. It's kind of a nice metallic look. I think i'd rather go for adjusting the rest of the ship body to a more grey scaled look. Your undercoat looks pretty decent.

Neurotoxin
29-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Will the XTC team be skinning pirate livery for every pirate faction? I've seen the Sharks skins but nothing else pre-2.0. While both my entries were quick for the sake of competition, if the team is still in need of skinning I can contribute some higher-res standardized paint schemes.

superdave
29-02-2012, 07:11 PM
ok just for the sake of having my work out there a little bit, here is a quick sample of a stripe job a did in about 20 minutes, but not an indication of what i plan to do to my ship to make it look more like one i would be proud to have stoled from the teladi.

ps. image is 1680X1050 so if you right click and select open in new tab, you can see more detail

Galder
01-03-2012, 12:07 AM
As promised, this is Neurotoxin's texture on the same ship model.

The bombs are a nice touch ;)

Neurotoxin
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Well that's disappointing, I didn't realize that you couldn't skin the top of the ship so the colours clash and the livery is pulled down more than it aught to be.

Now I know, and will prepare a better skin on a new drawing board.

Thanks for the screenshot. ;)

Galder
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
The rooftop will be adjusted, i'll take care of that, trust me ;) No need to be disappointed. It just consists of a lot more parts than you may expect, and the top has several parts. The original texture is exactly 2048x2048 pixels widewith almost no spaces left, so you can imagine, that the parts up there are roughly 20% of the ship model. To give everyone a chance to reskin the model without a lot of hassle, it needs to be kept a bit simple. What should go where, and what it should look like is a question to be answered after collecting all suggestions ;)

Technically its just a matter of adjusting colors, which can be made in half an hour. To change the color from blue to dark green on the roof is just a matter of marking the texture parts and pressing two buttons. The real deal behind the ship skins are the ideas, that's what makes them unique and customized.

pulzarokkit
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
If noone objects i would like to submit another lame texture (and Neurotoxin submitted 2 skins too)

Presenting the Black Hands pirate Falcon, sworn enemy of the Yaki, the day will come when the Black Hands reclaim Tortuga.
Since again i dont' have the base skin i "imrpovised" some metal. Since the Black hands are supposed to be weakened and (at least i think) some roaming pirate gang i gave them some banged up skin old-rusted look.
As for the "black hand logo" i don't think anyone will mind and i don't think that is under some copyright.

K.J.
01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
That's... erm... complex. I'm still struggling to develop some decent technique to generate bump maps, and those bump maps are absolutely critical on larger objects to get a good result. Repainting something is only a part of ships, for example, the caps are using almost the same texture sizes (2048x2048 ), and also, they don't use tiled textures. Tiled textures are a lot more easily to handle. Also, it'd need to adjust the LOD textures. Currently i'm using only a single layer in the textures, the vanilla models have up to 15 different ones, but unfortunately the program i'm using isn't able to handle layers with different sizes as a volume map.

The LOD-textures are called Mip-Maps. You would be insane to hand-adjust these :D A DDS-exporter should allow you to create Mipmaps as an Option (Photoshop DDS Plugin does it, not sure about GIMP or DXTbmp, but they should too). Be sure to have "create Mipmap" enabled when exporting. As long as you do that there should be no big performance impact, a Codea fleet likely uses multiple ships of the same type, which is unproblematic because the texture is only loaded into memory once.

Painting capital ships won't work without modifying the model. They use tileable textures, so if you would paint a skull somewhere on the texture you would have the skull repeated several times over the model. That looks pretty daft. It could also be that the skull is cut of on an edge. And if you wanted a different color you would have to modify 5+ textures.

I adjusted a Split Dragon sometime to be able to have custom paints, i'm not sure if i still have the files. In case i do i'll give them to Galder, for another competition (which is a neat idea btw). Might take some time though, i'm not at home for a few weeks

As for creating normalmaps - check out this article (http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/textures/how-not-to-make-normal-maps-from-photos-or-images.php). You basically draw a heigthmap based on your texture. Stuff that is raised is lighter, recesses are darker. Then you use the normalmap filter (which exists for gimp and photoshop).

Here's how to make a X3 bumpmap out of a normalmap

If you look at original X3TC bumpmaps you notice that they are just grey+ have another grey image in the alpha channel. I'm not exactly sure if you can just use the normal map as it is. You could try. To make it the "real way" i.e. the ES way, you have to extract the green and the red channel from the normal map.
Open it in photoshop or Gimp and disable blue and red channel. Now you will see a grey image, like in the ES bumps. The channels refere to different axis, blue is z-axis (put of the picture), red is x (left & right) and green is y axis. So, extract the red and the green channel seperately, read: copy the grey image and save it somewhere else (as tga or bmp for example). For ease of use i recommend dxtbmp, its a free and simple to use converter. Now open the red channel with dxtbmp, apply the green channel as alpha map and save it as .dds (DXT5)

Neurotoxin
01-03-2012, 09:22 PM
An adjusted texture that I reworked from the original military variant of my skin (not the pirate one you applied). This one has been designed to suit the placement of 3D objects protruding from the spacecraft moreso than its predecessors. Perhaps you could give it a go later.

Galder
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
That's... erm... complex. I'm still struggling to develop some decent technique to generate bump maps, and those bump maps are absolutely critical on larger objects to get a good result. Repainting something is only a part of ships, for example, the caps are using almost the same texture sizes (2048x2048 ), and also, they don't use tiled textures. Tiled textures are a lot more easily to handle. Also, it'd need to adjust the LOD textures. Currently i'm using only a single layer in the textures, the vanilla models have up to 15 different ones, but unfortunately the program i'm using isn't able to handle layers with different sizes as a volume map.
The LOD-textures are called Mip-Maps. You would be insane to hand-adjust these A DDS-exporter should allow you to create Mipmaps as an Option (Photoshop DDS Plugin does it, not sure about GIMP or DXTbmp, but they should too). Be sure to have "create Mipmap" enabled when exporting. As long as you do that there should be no big performance impact, a Codea fleet likely uses multiple ships of the same type, which is unproblematic because the texture is only loaded into memory once.

Painting capital ships won't work without modifying the model. They use tileable textures, so if you would paint a skull somewhere on the texture you would have the skull repeated several times over the model. That looks pretty daft. It could also be that the skull is cut of on an edge. And if you wanted a different color you would have to modify 5+ textures.

I adjusted a Split Dragon sometime to be able to have custom paints, i'm not sure if i still have the files. In case i do i'll give them to Galder, for another competition (which is a neat idea btw). Might take some time though, i'm not at home for a few weeks

As for creating normalmaps - check out this article. You basically draw a heigthmap based on your texture. Stuff that is raised is lighter, recesses are darker. Then you use the normalmap filter (which exists for gimp and photoshop).

Here's how to make a X3 bumpmap out of a normalmap

:D Making MipMaps by hand would be interesting :D
No, seriously, i know that. the problem is, that the MipMaps for the X3 game requires different sizes. The largest one is 2048x2048, the next one 1024x1024, then 512x512 and so on. The problem is, that the GIMP plugin isn't able to handle MipMaps with a different size, afaik. Maybe there's a solution in GIMP, i don't know...
We have discussed that performance problem often. I agree with you, that the texture wouldn't pose such a big problem in memory and size, but it may be a problem in terms of displayed ships. I fear that the multiple times displayed texture may eat up a lot of unnescessary cycle times, and it would pass through the bus bottle neck, which was causing troubles before. It may not, if haven't tested literally hundreds of similar ships, as i don't use Codea. Max ship count was 30 of the same in one sector, and it wasn't that bad. I'm just careful, pointing out that it may cause some fancy sparkles coming from the HDD :D

For the Dragon texture... that'd be very much appreciated. But it feels a bit wrong, because it's your texture. Why not starting a second thread with that texture? If you don't have the time to convert the uploaded user images, i'd be glad to help and post the images. Why, how and what would be included in what mod can be sorted out later on, and a reskinned M6 would be pretty unique. My only concern is that it should be clear that the idea is yours, not mine (and a neat idea, i must say ;) ).

superdave
04-03-2012, 09:44 PM
so i was flying around an unknown sector and i found a place that would plate my whole ship in gold for the equivelant in nividium... i figured what the heck, other than selling ships full of it ive already sold all the nividium i could to the different vendors that would buy it, so i went for it.
suppose i should have paid the extra and got them to scrape the rust first lol (*before anyone asks, no such place exists, this is a very quick texture i did as a result of playing around with the reflectiveness of the model, but i like the result!)

Also, i hope im not over stepping my bounds here but ive made a full texture model with the blue scrubbed out so that it can be changed to any color for use with ships that have textures that clash with the original blue top on the ship.

thedada86
04-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Anybody else thinking about a Beatles song?
Ok, not really yellow, no submarine...but is somehow crossed my mind.

superdave
04-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Oh I wonder if I could pull the yellow submarine off... Or a "not quite the same enough to get sued for" facsimile lol

NovaCatt
05-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Hiya Peeps, :wave:

I can answer that question for ya, superdave.. :p
It's already in the game... it goes by the name: Argon Centaur..... :rofl:
I mean seriously, has anyone not looked at it & not wondered why it looks like an old post ww2 submarine? :think: :lol:

Oh sure, ES (Egosoft) may have added a few spikes (antennae, etc) here & there, as well as add a block of whopping great rocket engines on the rear end of it, but still, the 1st time I saw it in X3:R, my 1st thought was: "Hey, that looks like a sub!! Cool!!"....

Admit it.. we've all thought that same thing the 1st time we saw it... ;) (admittedly, maybe not those exact same words, but still..... :roll:)

Cheers & Thranx

Solitas
05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
"Hey, that looks like a sub!! Cool!!"....
I was like:``What the lol? A sub? Hmmmm......``

stemardue
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
it goes by the name: Argon Centaur.....

i wonder who is the copycat... Argons or Lotus? ^^

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/DSC_0126_JPG1275570043.jpg

(sorry for the offtopic jump) :P

Neurotoxin
05-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Admit it.. we've all thought that same thing the 1st time we saw it...

I recall noting how fat and easy of a target it was, when I got the chance to fight it after flying it in the X3:R combat simulator. Not sure if it was a sub to me, though, but I can certainly see how it could be.

thedada86
06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I mean seriously, has anyone not looked at it & not wondered why it looks like an old post ww2 submarine?

Never noticed the similarity, but now: hell yeah. But with that bulges and bubbles on it, there must be a mon calamari cruiser beneath its ancestors.

Onishin
09-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Pirates sitting in a cantina were celebrating last raid on a remote Argon sector. Air was filled with a smoke of cigarettes. Bartender took out his old radio and turned on some good old rock hits like: "Nova", "Dying Falcon" or "The Pirate Hole". Then a group near a window with a view on docking ships shouted: "Yaaaaaaarrghh! Ladies have come to visit us!" All eyes looked in that direction, some with lightning speed ran to window. A falcon from a famous "Shady Lady" pirate group was just docking. All the guys knew what does it means. Best girls in the whole galaxy for the highest bidders for one night plus luxury apartment on board of the falcon for the richest. Needless to say few minutes later cantina was almost empty.

It's still work in progress but I would like to share it with You guys already. All suggestions are welcome.
Next I plan to draw a BRA on the front side of ship.
Maybe add some text (Shady Lady).

Galder
09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
A new entry, and even with some background story! Reminds me of those american/english WW2 fighters, they were always named, for example "Betty Grable" ;) Very good.

But i'd like to point out that your girl is on two different parts of the texture. Although it's possible to put it together, there will be always the edge of the inner texture, giving the appearance some sort of crack. I'll try to put a screenshot together when i get some spare time. I'd suggest using the middle part for detailed graphics, and the surrounding parts for a more pattern like approach. The reason is that the middle part stands out a bit 3d wise. It's a lot more prominent and easier to recognise ;)

Neurotoxin
11-03-2012, 02:52 AM
*wonders why the graphic is human on a Teladi ship. xD

Onishin
11-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Isn't that obvious? It's a pirate ship. They don't have racial bounds.
Plus I am a Shady Lady company owner. I am a human so I chose human woman for model.

thedada86
11-03-2012, 08:29 AM
A graphic which attracts Teladi...We all know, what would decorate their ships. creditsssss!
Also most Teladi in space, especially pirates are female.
And most players are human, therefore a human model fits well.

pulzarokkit
11-03-2012, 09:12 AM
The first thing that popped into my mind

Teladi Pirate Girls Money (http://i39.tinypic.com/1z3a1qp.jpg)

Neurotoxin
12-03-2012, 01:32 AM
And most players are human...

When I first read that it totally slipped my mind -- you know you've spent too much time holding an Orca for ransom when...

So what exactly is the player minority?

thedada86
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
So what exactly is the player minority?

Impatient questioner, asking for a release date.
At least i hope, they are the minority.

Neurotoxin
12-03-2012, 02:56 PM
But you're implying that they are sub-human. Though I doubt they're the minority, everyone wants 2.0 xD

We digress. MOAR SKINS!

thedada86
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
But you're implying that they are sub-human.

Oh, did I? Wasnt my intention. English is not my native language, maybe I misinterpreted the meaning of my own words. Or it's my black humor, it gets misunderstood sometimes.

I want 2.0 as much as everybody, but I know that it does not work faster if I constantly ask for progress. That only adds unnecessary pressure.
Well, now I really digress.

Neurotoxin
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I guess the sarcasm factor was ultimately lost at this point. :p

***edit - only to add some snickering for the last 4-5 posts ^^ -***

Galder
28-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Ok, time to show the last entries on the competition in screenshots.

I was hoping that superdave would add something also, but it seems like he's away for a while ;)
SO! These are the last ones, and i'll soon start a poll to get some votes which are the best ones.

Galder
02-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Update:

We have a winner! ;)

Now, as promised, i did a mod for the textures. Thanks to Mokonzi for providing the needed space for the files! This mod is meant to be used with XTC exclusively. The mod is not only containing my own work, but also the work of a TXU user, so it's not allowed to use the textures/models anywhere else, as i can't give permission on my own. This is nescessary because there will be further texture competitons, and some other people will win also (hopefully ;) ) So i don't like to ask 50 people before giving a permission ;) You can, of course use it for personal purposes, as long as the files aren't redistributed. As the files were done with the help of TXU users, and Mokonzi is hosting them, i declare the mod by the force of my sheer willpower as a TXU mod for XTC 1.2a ;)

The mod contains now:
1) The black flame falcon, aka Pirate Falcon
2) The scratched green falcon, aka Pirate Falcon Vanguard
3) The salamanders eye falcon, aka Pirate Falcon Sentinel

This mod does not change language files, so it's compatible with all languages provided with the original X3 TC game. It's also compatible to 99% of all mods running with XTC 1.2a, regardless if it is CODEA, MARS, whatever. It is not compatible if you install a mod or XSP ship which replaces a pirate falcon model! But that should be obvious.

And here it is... LLLLlllllllllllet's get ready to RRRRRRRrrruuuuumbleeeeee!!:

->TXU Falcon Competition v1.0 (http://www.thexuniverse.com/downloads/TXUFalconCompetitionv1.zip)<- Click here to download

Step by step installation guide:
The mod will be applied as a fake patch. That means:
1) Download the TXUFalconCompetition zip file.
2) Search on your HDD for the folder containing the x3tc.exe (where you have installed the XTC mod!)
3) Unzip the downloaded file into the folder containing the x3tc.exe
4) Look at the cat and dat files installed in the same folder which is containing the x3tc.exe. Note the highest number. Rename the TXUFalconCompetition.dat and TXUFalconCompetition.cat to exactly one higher than the files which are already there. If the highest cat/dat is 16, rename them to "17.dat" and "17.cat" (without quotations of course ;) )
5) Start a game and look for some pirate falcons ;) It doesn't need to be a new game, but it may take a while before the new textures will show up, as only newly spawned pirates will have the new texture.

Troubleshooting:
If you encounter any problems, do not do a new save. Quit the game without saving. Remove the cat/dat files you renamed and start your game again. Fly to a sector which does NOT contain any pirate Falcons, not even somewhere out of the scanner range. Make a fresh savegame in that sector and quit the game. Install the fake patch again like described above and load the fresh savegame. It should work now. It should have worked before also, but you never know which nasty bug may happen on the system of someone else ;) Do not try this when sitting in a pirate falcon yourself! Use a different ship, even a normal (not pirate falcon) will work.

Step by step deinstallation guide:
1) Remove the the cat/dat files you renamed in the installing process... yep, that's all. You shouldn't SIT! in a reskinned ship in your savegame ;)
2) If anything goes wrong, refer to the troubleshooting advise. Just don't add the mod cat/dats once again :mrgreen:

The starting post was also updated.

NovaCatt
02-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Hiya Peeps, :wave:

I followed the steps outlined above, which was easy enough to do.. but now my game's not running... (wait for it.. wait for it... :p that's easily solved by LAUNCHING/STARTING :xtcflag: next time I play.. obviously I'm not playing :xtcflag: if I'm busy here on the forum, doing things such as downloading this Mod.. ;):p :lol:) {@Galder (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=3499) .. just making sure you're awake.. ;))
Now to see if I can find any pirate falcons to check if they're using the new skins... O0

Cheers & Thranx

superdave
08-06-2012, 04:00 AM
Wow! all the entries were really good! i just wish i had gotten my final entry in in time... but such is life. Also, i thought id read somewhere about a 2nd competition being held with a different ship... I got the internet for about another week and would love to get involved in something that can keep me a little distracted from the BS RL has tossed my way.