PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Poll for the ship texture competition

Galder
28-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Here we go...

These are the entries for the ship texture competition.

1) Pulzarokkits black flame pirate Falcon:
http://www.thexuniverse.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4279&stc=1&d=1330467749

2) Neurotoxins camouflage Falcon:
http://www.thexuniverse.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4281&stc=1&d=1330560394

3) Onishins shady lady Falcon:
http://www.thexuniverse.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4305&d=1332891175

4) Neurotoxins blue camouflage Falcon:
http://www.thexuniverse.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4306&d=1332891178

5) Pulzarokkits scratched green surface Falcon:
http://www.thexuniverse.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4307&d=1332891180

The best two will get an adjusted complete texture and will be available in a mod compatible with XTC.
I talked to Mokonzi about that topic, and if he agrees, i'll put it together as a (semi- ;) ) official TXU mod. Every TXU user is allowed to vote, and i hope we can stir up some interest. If time allows it, and the interest is high enough, we can do the same for a Nova, Mamba, Perseus or a Barracuda also. The poll will be automatically closed after 14 days.

Neurotoxin
28-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the way mine turned out; I was hoping that more of the ship could be skinned and never really bothered to have a serious go at a pirate skin. Nevertheless, should we have further competitions I'll invest much more time into it. ;)

Nice work to other competitors. 8)

stemardue
28-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Galder! there's a wrong link up there: 1 and 4 both go to same pic...

Galder
28-03-2012, 09:40 PM
The stencil i poste in the original thread was meant to be very simple, leaving out the more difficult parts, which may have to be rotated or stretched, to see where it belongs to. The textures submitted are only the pattern i'll use to make the falcon texture complete. I won't do a mod with unfinished textures, be sure that it will look a lot better ;) But doing a complete texture requires a complete overhaul of the texture itself, and a lot of testing, if everything is in place. Even putting the Shady Lady together so that the parts are actually more or less seamingless takes some time for example. It's very time consuming to do a complete texture, so for the competition i went for a reduced approach, in order to give a better visiblilty which part will belong where, and to save some time ;)

Got it, stemmy, thanks!

stemardue
28-03-2012, 09:43 PM
;)

Cool competition and quite cool artwork! Voted :)

Neurotoxin
28-03-2012, 09:48 PM
My green camo looks like it may conceal well with that Teladi nebula. Maybe if she wins we can see how well we can hide her, and maybe make her harder to spot on radar/lock onto from long range. 8)

Galder
28-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Mhhmmm, i actually see a different idea behind the camouflage. You can't really hide something in space. Modern Jets are also not painted in camouflage, and the US stealth bombers would be in camouflage if that'd help, i'm sure about that ;) Instead of camouflage they're painted in a dark brown (i think) to make them less visible in the night, or because it's the color of the stealth material, don't know. Instead of trying to hide them in plain space, the camouflage would be very helpful to hide them if they're landed on a planet or asteroid surface. So to me, the camouflage is kind of hint that they belong to a unit like swamptroopers, or the pilot is starting from a base hidden somewhere in a forest/swamp. Gives a bit Star Wars like feeling... The Endor Falcon ;)

Neurotoxin
28-03-2012, 10:04 PM
That's because modern stealth aircraft are too close to radar and must still abide by the laws of aerodynamics (ie cannot take perfectly radar deflective forms, nor can they be built solely from radar-porous materials). They are, however, still painted black because black naturally reflects the least amount of visible light (though its effect is negligible against the infra-red and ultra-violet spectrum).

In space, where distances are much, much greater (hundreds of kilometres, rather than just a few due to altitude restrictions) and the fact that stealth spacecraft can be constructed from radio-sensitive materials and do not need to be shaped in a manner which passes through air, painting the craft to mirror its surroundings would produce excellent results from both a visual and LIDAR perspective, while the ship's hull material provided the rest of the concealment.

Obviously paint alone cannot conceal an object in space, but it would definitely help, especially where there is no background nebula or even much light to contrast with it. ;)

Joelnh
29-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I like a combination of them.... the skull on 1 looks very cool.... and I think it would look good on 2. And 3 would look good if she was facing the other way and made to look like she was wielding one of the guns. or added to the 1-2 combo with the skull leering at her backside.

any chance to combine them or have the game use multiple ones ?

pulzarokkit
29-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Neuro's Camo Falcon has my vote.

nasty one
29-03-2012, 01:41 PM
well... I must say... I don't like any...
Is there a way to vote so that none of those wolud win?

Neurotoxin
29-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Just abstain from voting? lol

Once the winner is declared, the skins will undergo much more comprehensive rendering anyway, so I don't imagine there'll be much of a cosmetic issue in due time. ;)

thetack
29-03-2012, 07:27 PM
they are all good shame we cant vote for all of them to appear, i would however prefer the lady on a terran or argon ship.
just dosnt seem right a human female form on a race ship which consists of only female reptiles :shock:

Neurotoxin
29-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah that's what I said D:

Or at least a female Boron for variety. ;)

pulzarokkit
29-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I think the boron deserve some Chtulu logo not a lady :D

Galder
29-03-2012, 08:25 PM
thetack:
It's a multiple choice poll, so you can actually vote for each one of them, but it'd give me a severe headache which ones i should use :mrgreen: I like all of them, as each one is unique.

thetack
29-03-2012, 08:56 PM
how about a smaller headache and do all of them over the next 6 months (ducks from the theoretical objects thrown by the genius that is galder) actualy i think it unfair that any two should be picked as they all show creative flair and only wished i knew how to do what they have done.

Neurotoxin
29-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Well that's kind of the point of the competition, to decide a winner. It's not incredibly hard to skin a 2D template -- Galder is doing the hard part by importing them, so how he opts to go is up to him. ;)

Galder
30-03-2012, 12:08 AM
The reason for using only two of them is that there are only 4 different versions, normal, vanguard, raider and sentinel. I could add a lot more, but that makes no sense at all. It'd mean to change the pirate patrols as such, and THAT would be even a headache for sartorie :mrgreen: Anyway, one version should have the stock ES texture, just for the nostalgia ;) , one should be reserved for my own texture, and the remaining two ones will fly around with the textures from the competition, that's the reason behind picking only two of them ;) .... apart from the fact that i'd have more work than i can take at the moment, if i do all of them. The plan is not to change only the diff texture, but also the light or bumps or shaders, if i can manage it. So it will be a complete texture, not only painted.

Neurotoxin
30-03-2012, 12:21 AM
I'd be interested in doing a proper Centaur skin, assuming it doesn't have a trillion maps. Just tossing it out there, if you ever consider corvettes. ;)

Saber15
30-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Voted for #1, though I think it would look a lot better if the decals were colored and had some signs of wear-and-tear on them.

That's because modern stealth aircraft are too close to radar and must still abide by the laws of aerodynamics (ie cannot take perfectly radar deflective forms, nor can they be built solely from radar-porous materials). They are, however, still painted black because black naturally reflects the least amount of visible light (though its effect is negligible against the infra-red and ultra-violet spectrum).

In space, where distances are much, much greater (hundreds of kilometres, rather than just a few due to altitude restrictions) and the fact that stealth spacecraft can be constructed from radio-sensitive materials and do not need to be shaped in a manner which passes through air, painting the craft to mirror its surroundings would produce excellent results from both a visual and LIDAR perspective, while the ship's hull material provided the rest of the concealment.

Obviously paint alone cannot conceal an object in space, but it would definitely help, especially where there is no background nebula or even much light to contrast with it. ;)

Considering that a ship glows like a sun from waste heat and the Space Shuttle could be detected from Earth even beyond the orbit of Jupiter, stealth in space doesn't really work at all. :p

Neurotoxin
30-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Considering that a ship glows like a sun from waste heat and the Space Shuttle could be detected from Earth even beyond the orbit of Jupiter, stealth in space doesn't really work at all.

Obviously it's going to be detected by engine exhaust. The idea of stealth is that your engines are not accelerating at the time, and realistically you don't need to keep throttling to maintain velocity. In a game sense it's largely cosmetic.

The space shuttle never left earth orbit, so I have no clue how it could have been seen beyond Jupiter, nor did the STS incorporate any stealth measures in its design (quite the opposite, in fact). Maybe the aliens made a mock-up? The latter half of your argument is thus invalid. ;)

pulzarokkit
30-03-2012, 07:39 AM
At first the flames were red/orange for the 1st model that i made but imo it looked kinda **** so i changed it to full monochrome.
Maybe you should have commented in the competition thread so i could release that version too, now i don't have that psd anymore.
(It can be changed in PS in a few minutes but...)

Saber15
30-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Obviously it's going to be detected by engine exhaust. The idea of stealth is that your engines are not accelerating at the time, and realistically you don't need to keep throttling to maintain velocity. In a game sense it's largely cosmetic.

The space shuttle never left earth orbit, so I have no clue how it could have been seen beyond Jupiter, nor did the STS incorporate any stealth measures in its design (quite the opposite, in fact). Maybe the aliens made a mock-up? The latter half of your argument is thus invalid. ;)

Hypothetical situation, bro. :p
Sensors on Earth could detect a vessel like the Space Shuttle well past the orbit of Jupiter. Moreso if it is firing its engines.

Neurotoxin
30-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Hypothetical situation, bro.
Sensors on Earth could detect a vessel like the Space Shuttle well past the orbit of Jupiter. Moreso if it is firing its engines.

You said the space shuttle, now a hypothetical scenario, and any vessel beyond Jupiter is not going to be like the STS. Anything we're detecting from Earth is not designed to be hidden. If we can detect an object built from radar-porous polymers and simple non-lustrous paint without emitting a radio signal from Earth all the way out there, I will stand corrected, but for now you have no evidence and I have math and science. ;)

stemardue
30-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Hehe... here is an interesting link (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/programs/) for people interested in searching for invisible things in space... Radar is the least useful thing (or so), but wide band interferometry, radiation bursts analysis and other nice techniques give 'stealth' some quite different meaning.

Let's keep this present thread as a nice artistic competition, folks!

*fast freezes himself down to +3K, enters a magnetic stream and turns off his stereo, vanishing into near-full-stealthy mode... no sneezing now! no sneezing!*

thetack
30-03-2012, 07:48 PM
sorry galder i misunderstood i thought they where going to be random ships to lookout for not types thats why i said do all four
just in case you do it again what did any of you guys use to draw the skins i tried paint and went pixel crazy before giving up.

Neurotoxin
30-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Haha, Paint, +1 for awesome effort :D

I use GIMP, which is pretty much free, open-source Photoshop. ;)

Galder
30-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm also using GIMP ;)

Aragon Speed
31-03-2012, 06:53 AM
I used to use GIMP, but I couldn't get used to the rubber mask... What?

Jeff
09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Looks like the first place is pretty clear, but the second place is very close for the 4 remaining textures :P

Anyway, gj everyone who entered the contest ;)

K.J.
10-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Good job, and congratulations to the winner (not yet but quite soon i guess^^)

If i may give an advice for the next contest - try to not color the hole space you are given. If you paint everything the border to the rest that you can't color will be too apprupt. Try to think of your added paint as big "sticker" instead of a complete spaypaint. Some caligraphy or small images/flames like pirates have, race stripes/patterns like you know them from street-"sport"-cars. They often have a seperate border so that it stands out better from the background, black or white the most common. The shady lady PJ comes pretty close to that sticker kind of thing. Talking about it - it could have less transparency - atm it looks a bit like painted on with watercolors ;) A fraction of the underlying texture should still be visible but not that much. Good job nontheless

You can't really hide something in space.
how many split ships hid in those images?^^
http://www.abload.de/thumb/x3screen00131dyjv0.jpg (http://www.abload.de/img/x3screen00131dyjv0.jpg)http://www.abload.de/thumb/x3screen00143zkkjg.jpg (http://www.abload.de/img/x3screen00143zkkjg.jpg)http://www.abload.de/thumb/x3screen00145irk12.jpg (http://www.abload.de/img/x3screen00145irk12.jpg) ^^
we dont have these in xtc anymore though, its a vanilla sector

I'd be interested in doing a proper Centaur skin, assuming it doesn't have a trillion maps.
It does xD It takes alot of extra work to make M6 or bigger paintjob-able. I have a dragon ready for that, although painting it might be a bit more difficult because the pieces are angled to use as much space as was available to still allow a good quality.
http://www.abload.de/thumb/dragon-contest-renderbeky7.jpg (http://www.abload.de/img/dragon-contest-renderbeky7.jpg) the unsplit-like colored parts are customizable

Galder
12-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Ok, time to announce the winner(s) ;)

Pulzarokkit has two times the highest votes, but it was a close race between him and Neurotoxin. The blue camouflage Falcon was a long time on the second highest voting. I'm very happy about the submitted entries and i'd like to thank all thre authors in the first place. One purpose of this competition was to get an impression how people like to see their preferred spacecraft, and the results are pointing in the right direction, i think. All of them had a very unique idea behind the submission. Neurotoxin went for the disguise approach, Onishin for the strictly piracy aspect without using skulls, and pulzarokkit for an evolved pirate skin. If i could, i'd use all of them, as i like them all. So, congratulations to pulzarokkit, but also to Neurotoxin and Onishin ;)

I'll try to set up a new competition as soon as i have finished the pirate skins for the falcons. The mod for XTC will be available to the public here on TXU, but it'll take some time, as i'll adjust the diff, spec and light parts of the texture. If it's possible, i'll put a custom mod for Neurotoxin and Onishin together, so they can use their own textures in their games. It wouldn't just be public ;) I#ll contact them if i find the some time to do so ;)

pulzarokkit
12-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone who voted for the skins, next time i will do even better. I would like to thank everyone submitting skins and Galder to make this happen in the first place.
I just hope next time even more people will be submitting skins i like to see different works.

Galder
Do you need that mettalic textture i used for the rest of the ship or will you manage?

Galder
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I also hope that we may see some more authors submitting skins in the next round.

No, at them moment i'm figuring out how to emphasize the texture a bit without loosing the grip for the details. That means how the rest of the texture parts can be put to use. Next step is to adjust the lights. I'll send you a PM when i need a sample. Maybe for the scratched gren surface, but the black falmes and the metallic look is not too hard to reproduce.

Galder
22-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Ok, the competition mod is getting serious ;)

You'll find the reskinned ships attached to this post. The diff and spec textures are done, now i need to extract the right bodies and change their textures, so only the targetted ships are using them, and not the entire teladi fleet, or all pirates ;)

Galder
28-04-2012, 10:17 PM
As already promised, the mod is now complete, including all three pirate falcon variants. Cat/Dats are done and ready to use. You'll find a picture below showing all three falcon versions existing at the same time. What i now need is to talk to Mokonzi ;) about if/how he likes to host it. The normal pirate falcon has the black flame texture, the pirate falcon vanguard is the scratched green texture, and the pirate falcon sentinel is my own one ;)