PDA

View Full Version : Request Looking for Mentors for Mods, Scripting, Graphics and Designs.

Mangar
20-04-2012, 12:23 PM
After spending a few months in and out of threads and posts looking for self help tutorials. I was able to fine many great places here within TXU. :)

However, I understand that those knowledged people are far and few to come by. The few active ones are bogged down with crunching code atm, or doing exams and RL stuff that we can not just ignore.

I am sure there are many half minded people here that could and would like to contribute to the cause. But need a little bit of mentoring.

Being that I do have a desire to dig into scripting and apparently MD which is no small feat by far. I went into those mods area to reach out and or read the lastest post. To my surprise many of the posts are almost a year or more. Even the hardcore stuff can go back to 2008, and gurus which started and posted they themselves have also been inactive for some time as well.

I would feel kind of out of place to post to some threads knowing I may never get a reply, as some have left posts already there.
First up, I kind of learned there are only two people that can help answer my MANY questions. One is very busy working on XTC.
The other is out at the moment, but upon his return will have more than enough catching up on feedback and then to trouble shoot stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are many truely helpful and knowledgeable members and users. I just think maybe if those people would feel it worth while, if they knew there was some new users really willing to BE mentored making the mentors time worth while. Maybe not every area covered right away, but when some (one or more) member(s) could head up a mentors area over the inpendant group types. And activily challange others when those areas get slow.

Over all in my humble and honest opinion it would be great to get some fresh members to fill in the lower ranks for the future, to have more minds to draw from when needed, before the ones we have are completely burned out being the only ones around.

It would be great if someone would lead a mentor watch program, grouped, and those (with some experience and some knowledge) willing to say they have time and a passion to put an effort in under a mentor.

"I know its easier said then done, but asking is a start."
Who would/could if they have time Actively mentor an area, and who would actively put an effort to learn.

Nemoricus
20-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I've just started to look into X3:TC scripting and modding, and while there's a wealth of material available in both forum threads and the actual scripts and mods themselves, the opportunity to get advice from an experienced modder would be nice. While I believe that most things about modding could be learned by one's self, having that experienced scripter/modder around to share what they've learned could save quite a bit of time.

So, if there's anyone willing to teach, I'd be happy to learn from them.

Mangar
21-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks @Nemoricus (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=14685) , it was good talking to you via messages. I just had to post this when I sent this to you.

I can image how much time a guru developer, designer, composer or technical writer has such little precious time that they volunteer towards a game creation. Then get burned out deserving some much needed time away. I think we all know how they must feel to some point. That's why I picked up earlier on, "DONT BOTHER THE DEVELOPERS! THEY ARE BUSY!!!", and that is not to be mean!;), it all comes down to what time they give, all goes towards the design.

So I kind of see it this way, it is just my opinion.

So when an "unknown new person" walks into the threads with their plastic cadet helmet and plastic lifesaver. I could just imagine the *sigh* of a developer or designers face, when the persons mouth opens up, and asks, "Can you teach me?":paranoid:. Now the guru must think, "WHY,... WHY,... Why did I say hello and befriended this one":kapow::kapow::kapow: . So much for just saying, "Hello, welcome to TXU, I am kind of busy working on a script fixing that bug.":rolleyes:

I could just imagine a guru would rather put their skills, passion, and experience into a project. If I was one of them, I would feel very bored writing 101 DIY step by step how to do it threads.

I KNOW I have been seen as the guy with a plastic space cadet helmet and life saver with a big $%^& eating grin. >:D:rofl:

Now maybe to take a bit of the burnded off them, individuals like you and me or others in preferred areas could write threads such like
101 scripting, getting downloads, links, editors and what to expect. Each area could have a 101 opening for design, graphics ect...Kind of like from a newbie point of view, we post as we learn and understand the lingo.

Then as we talked titles like simple 101.1 modify game start, 101.2 modify (whatever)
While doing that I think a Mentor could overlook saying it was acceptable or not. A mentor could save more time just reading a post, and then have to lay down all the ground work up. If think if a few newbie’s as we might be seen at first glance. So some passion and a place to stick something like this would be helpful.
And the “Advanced how to script, MD, modeling” leave up to the gurus area for creative experience over multiple game bases.

Helpful organized handouts
The whole point would be, if we can peer check one anothers walk through with out having to question each others work, that means A guru can be polite and say "Have you looked and try the 101 or DIY 101.23 walk through?

Overall Purpose
I think it would free up alot of time, and really catpure future passionate people. Those who would be willing and get through all those before presenting themselves to a guru saying Teach me O'be One.:) also to fill the lower ranks with a new source of people in future conquests of development.

I kind of picture a sticky area like
Graphics
- 101 tools, getting started
-- DIY
-- 101.11 title one
-- 101.12 title two
-- 101.13 ......
Scripting
- 101 tools, getting started
- DIY
-- 101.11 title one
-- 101.12 title two
-- 101.13 ......
Mods, MD, graphics and so on...

And all the advance stuff with problems, an intgrated thigs can be in the advance guru area, how to and discussion boards. And all the unique things different between the game versions. I got lost a few times reading a help thread and I was on the wrong game version. So after learning and grasping the basics and fundamentals, then after can become a more pleasent conversation to ask detailed questions.

An area set up like that could weed out 80-90% of the space cadet requests :rolleyes: *cough* like I sort of been doing:angel:>:D

K.J.
21-04-2012, 08:15 PM
"teach me" is the wrong attitude in modding. It should be "i teach myself - and ask if run into problems i can't solve or to get feedback to improve my skills". Not because "we" don't want to help, but the topic usually is so complex that it would require enormous efford to teach somebody from the ground up. It's not something you can learn in one afternoon. You have to learn how to learn - so to speak. And the benefits for the tutor would be about zero - that's why everyone who wants to help actively writes tutorials - they are available for everyone at any time. In comparison, the tutor could only help a very limited number of people.

Altering ingame attributes, like stats - isn't complicated for most games. For every game that is moddable/worth modding and is released for a few months, there exist tutorials to mod these kind of things.
But making models is on a totally different level. You need a lot of time, patience and dedication to learn the basics. The best thing to get started is to search on youtube for videotutorials for beginners.

In short: -> Search for tutorials about the thing you want to do ->Read them and try it out -> Ask if you encounter problems that you can't solve on your own -> post result on the appropriate modding forum to get feedback&tips&tricks

Mangar
21-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Humbling saying,
Who knows, maybe in the long run they could open up more neat competitions across each area drawing in fans and passionate people with creative skills.Azn

Don’t get me wrong everyone here is great that I have touch base with. And all their (Too Many to list) experience and knowledge to draw from:mrgreen:.

I just think I am not the only one that would like to help contribute in the future projects well after the ones going on right now.:)

Mangar
21-04-2012, 08:40 PM
"teach me" is the wrong attitude in modding. It should be "i teach myself - and ask if run into problems i can't solve or to get feedback to improve my skills". Not because "we" don't want to help, but the topic usually is so complex that it would require enormous efford to teach somebody from the ground up. It's not something you can learn in one afternoon. You have to learn how to learn - so to speak. And the benefits for the tutor would be about zero - that's why everyone who wants to help actively writes tutorials - they are available for everyone at any time. In comparison, the tutor could only help a very limited number of people.
I agree with you 100%, that is why I have started going through the links others sent me, and kind of stopped assuming what a script may or may not be doing. However I figured how many times you guys must go through this very loop I am poking at. It must be daunting over and over.

Altering ingame attributes, like stats - isn't complicated for most games. For every game that is moddable/worth modding and is released for a few months, there exist tutorials to mod these kind of things.
But making models is on a totally different level. You need a lot of time, patience and dedication to learn the basics. The best thing to get started is to search on youtube for videotutorials for beginners.
That never crossed my mind to see if they had them on youtube. Scripting will be my pasaion and MD. One of the guys gave me the links for the editors. I can make head or tails out of 80% of the scripts now, just 10% lingo and 10% questions and limitations. I sure the last 20% will slowly get weeded out over time.

In short: -> Search for tutorials about the thing you want to do ->Read them and try it out -> Ask if you encounter problems that you can't solve on your own -> post result on the appropriate modding forum to get feedback&tips&tricks

From a first timer delving into X3, I was kind of wondering "Not stepping on toes" that if some new posts were made, would it offend any guru as a 101? taking it from a new comers to get their ducks in a row first. I would not be offended if after posting it an admin person needed to modify it if it was misleading or incorrect. I figured all my new comer questions, if answered by myself on the why to self learning as I have been uncovering stuff. I and other new comers can capture them with answers as we go.
Some how I hope I am not opening a can of worms.

Dillpickle
21-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Mangar

If you want people to read your posts, then using a colour that could actually be seen on the forum background would be useful.

K.J.
21-04-2012, 08:54 PM
No you can't find videotutorials on scripting, not much sense in filming someone writing text. I was refering to modelling.
If you want to learn scripting in the X3 SE you should visit the Egosoft S&M forum as well, because there are alot more active people that know how to do it. Same with MD, just that its not "alot more", but "some more" people - as there are only handfull of people in total that know how to do it ;)

Mangar
21-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Fixed

@Mangar (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=13446)

If you want people to read your posts, then using a colour that could actually be seen on the forum background would be useful.

Busted!!!!..... My bad I was using word to catch my horrid spelling and grammer. copy and paste and it hind the text. Duhhh! trying not to make you guys choke on more than you need too.:rofl: Fixed one problem, I caused another :kapow:.....Fixed color text! :angel:

No you can't find videotutorials on scripting, not much sense in filming someone writing text. I was refering to modelling.
If you want to learn scripting in the X3 SE you should visit the Egosoft S&M forum as well, because there are alot more active people that know how to do it. Same with MD, just that its not "alot more", but "some more" people - as there are only handfull of people in total that know how to do it

Thanks for that heads up, Got a number of good PMs today. My path falls more along the lines of scripting, and then to dive into MD stuff. I can say is this about coding and programming and sure some coders would very much agree.

There might be some who say what is right or the wrong way to do it. Both areas such as coding and modeling areas are like artwork. You might have one person who will write code like a Rembrandt and another like Picasso, same goes for with modeling and artwork and music too (Hehehhe technical writers also). And yes there can be opinions that fly both ways. But both, (everything) starts off with the basic stuff before they trek down the path of their own experiences and things they draw from.

I tend to be more of a Rembrandt coder, but a Picasso text writer:) . And sure anyone (coders) who has opened up someone else’s work and can be either impressed with it simplicity reading it, or Goff at it wondering how it ever worked:shock:?

I agree it should have been "I teach myself", it was a poor way chioce of wording to say "can you teach me". In all reality that is just not going to happen. But more the lines I am trying to get at, "to be a mason you need a hammer and chisel, a carpenter a saw and hammer." Everything else beyond that point is a learning curve by the person what the see, here and do.

I am very good at reverse engineering code and rewriting it with some time. But over the years learned to first ask and listen, and you learn a lot from those willing to speak and share what they have, seen and done.

I think ALL you guys are great!!!, and I understand there are only a few of you with not that much free time, maybe a link or two. So I figure just do a 101 post (or someone else) , since I am at that very point and a few others here and maybe some DIY samples. After someone passes that point, I agree it is a flight or fall. Those who get passed that point which really want to contribute, or have the passion and desire to do so, then more power to them.

But being a new comer to TXU way, I was just looking for a kind of stamp of approval. IF IT IS EVER POSTED (by me or another) and that it falls with in the guidelines of what is expected around here. I mean I had my cadet moment last week, and sure there would be more since I did not not find a sticky saying do this, read this first, ect...before asking perform first.

Not unless you guys just really saver and love those space cadet moments >:D :think:.

*Merged double post. Please use the edit button if less than 24 hours has past since your last post. AS.*

*Ok AS you prefer not having two posts one after the other. You merged them when I corrected a few thigs at the same time.
Got itO0. Only just add to the post if it is still less than 24 hr old or I guess some adimn screen flags it on your side in an admin window*