PDA

View Full Version : Discussion XTC Game Starts

Nemoricus
30-04-2012, 05:31 AM
When I first started playing XTC, I took a look at the starts that were available, and ultimately decided that none of them really suited me. For the most part, the problem was that I wanted to play Terran and that start came complete with a frigate, which seems overly generous for a start. But it also came with a shiny M5 Rapier....

This began my quest to find a set of starting conditions and rules that I was happy with, and my results so far are detailed below:

Attempt 1

My first effort at modifying the game start was rather crude. I transferred to the Neil Armstrong, activated the self-destruct, and then hopped back in my Rapier to watch the fireworks. Once the Yokohama-class frigate was reduced to shrapnel, I set off into the wild black yonder.

I learned very rapidly that an M5-only start in X3:TC is very difficult. Trading is out of the question. Your cargo bay is too small for anything except energy cells, and while you can make a profit on them, making a few hundred credits per run is a painfully slow way to do it.

Fighting is possible, but very hazardous to your health. M5s have tissue paper for shields and would blow up if someone so much as looked at them the wrong way. Also, the batteries and generator on the Rapier are so tiny that you have to have pinpoint accuracy to kill another an M5. I don't, and I learned that trying to kill something bigger was an exercise in frustration because the combination of the battery and generator leaves you with a fairly minuscule damage output. So killing other fighters is difficult, too. Finally, I tried to attack a freighter, and to my embarrassment learned that, while freighters have blind spots you could park an M2 in, an M5 can't even tickle their shields.

Once I cleaned the egg of my face, I turned to the only option I had left, which was mission running. Finally, this was something I could do, even if the pay for most of them wasn't great. But Return Ship missions were another matter....you get paid so well on these that I was quickly able to buy a Toukan, which made them even easier and made my bank account grow even faster. Eventually, I got lucky, and received a mission to return a Mani that was in the next sector over. The time limit was tight enough that I was biting my nails at the end, but it made it and my bank account swelled by 18 million credits.

After this windfall, I did what any reasonable person would do....I splurged. I bought myself a Cutlass, a Katana, a Baldric, and a bunch of Rapiers for scouting. I realized a little too late that I spent too much on the Rapiers, but since I didn't want to sell them, I decided to equip the Cutlass and Baldric as best I could with the money I had left.

It was at this point that I also decided that I wanted to by more serious rules, and chose that, from here on out, dead would be dead. I don't remember what finally did kill me, but I stopped playing XTC for a while after it, mostly because I heard that XTC 2.0 was right around the corner and I didn't want to invest too much time in something I would have to lose for the update.

That lasted until I started tinkering with X3:TC scripting and modding, and mostly for my own amusement I began tinkering with the gamestarts. Naturally, this didn't stop at tinkering, and led to:

Attempt 2

From here on out, I adopted the following rules after the discussions I had on these forums, and they apply to all following runs in XTC:

1. Dead is dead. No reloads, and death means that you start from square one again.

2. No mission running. Too many think missions suck the challenge out of the game, and the fight missions irritate me for reasons I stated elsewhere. So, no missions. Period.

3. Difficulty is set to normal, but with the bail chances at: M1, M2, M7, TL, TM - defaults, M3 - 15%, M4 - 20%, M5 - 25%, TS, TP - 50%, M8 - 10%. In practice, that 50% for transports bail chance seems to mean that you get one freighter in 15 to bail, at least among Paranid freighters. I've seen only one fighter bail, but that wasn't my doing.

4. MARS, Complex Cleaner, most of Lucike's scripts, and Xchange Guild Portals are installed alongside XTC. That's it.

Now, in my second run, I decided to modify the game start files and give myself a fully kitted out Sabre and nothing else, thinking that this would be a less painful experience than the M5. Well, I was right. It was indeed less painful...but not by much. Combat with M4s and M5s goes much more smoothly....but since they never bail, there's no money to be had there. As for M3s....Paranid Medusas have that really nasty rear turret, and Yaki M3s bring friends, so that ended up being too dangerous.

As for freighters....when they bail, you get a lot of money for selling them, but they rarely bail. And shooting down their shields in an M4 is a time consuming process. Oh, and they carry fighter drones. I learned that if you maneuver well enough, even a big swarm of them can't kill a Sabre, but you're still playing laser tag with them for ten minutes since you can't kill them either. (Well, you can, but I've only pulled it off a few times.)

Out of boredom and frustration, I decided to pick on a Yanki Sennin, since I noticed that it had no turrets. What I neglected was the fact that its M3 counterpart (I forget what the name is) was hanging around and I didn't realize just how dangerous it could be. After I shot the Sennin down to about half shields, the M3 finally got a bead on me, my own shields evaporated, and my Sabre followed shortly thereafter.

Rest in pieces, Nemoricus the Second.

Attempt 3

At this point, it was becoming clear that Fight wasn't working out too well as a starting career choice. So, I decided to try Trade this time, and gave myself a fully kitted out Baldric.

I don't think I've ever seen my bank account rise that quickly at the start of a game. In less than an hour, my less than 20k credits became more than 100k, and growing fast. Sure, just flying from Point A to Point B isn't as exciting as fighting, but it's much more lucrative. You also have to think carefully about where you send your freighter and what you buy, which is much more engaging than generic think missions. As a pleasant bonus, trade increases your race reputation at a slow but steady rate.

So, finally I had a start where I could see progress being made from the word 'go'. In short order, I also had people looking to sell me used scout fighters, which I happily snapped up and sent them out to map the universe. And when I finally had enough money and reputation to buy a Sabre, I happily bailed out of my freighter to operate it remotely from my new interceptor.

This was the first time that I got to interact with the XTC economy, and I quickly noticed two things. One, no one has any energy cells. Two, selling energy cells is a slow way to make money. What I eventually figured out was that selling energy cells to Ice Mines and Water Purification Plants, and then selling the ice to the purification plants and the water to food preparation plants seems like a fairly good way to make money in early game Terran space.

It's funny that there's not much NPC trade in energy cells, since the demand for them is so high.....but maybe that changes later on.

This was also the first time I began to check the GNS in earnest, and I must say, it makes for some rather entertaining reading at times, and the fact that it lets you know when sectors expand is very helpful indeed. The only flaw is that the stories repeat and are often not in chronological order, but I'll still be reading that regularly in every game to follow. Kudos to the writers there.

Now, about that interceptor of mine....I quickly relearned the lessons of the previous game. M4s and M5s don't bail, M3s are really dangerous, and freighters are tedious to fight and extremely dangerous if they drop a drone swarm on you. Since dead is dead, I quickly decided to play it safe and leave them alone until I could get a better ship. Instead, I began to explore the XTC universe for myself, and admired the lovely vistas that the team has put together. Now that I think about it, I also wish that I had taken pictures....oh, well, maybe next time.

Back at my freighter, it was steadily making money and getting reputation for me, and while I had money enough to pay for another freighter, I didn't have the rank for another Baldric. But I did have enough for some Scabbards, and as I needed to start deploying a satellite network, I bought two and sent them to supply the Advanced Satellite factory in Sirius Prime and buy up its products.

At the start of my last play session, things were going well. I had a network of satellites growing all over the place, a freighter that was steadily making money, and scouts that were working on maapping sectors as they were opened. But then I started to make mistakes. I sent a Scabbard into a sector without looking to see what was there as soon as it jumped in, and it got destroyed by the Kha'ak. Okay, no big deal. My next mistake was seemingly even less of a problem, but it ultimately got me killed. By accident, I ejected two satellites in one sector, and, being frugal, I wanted to recover the extra. So, I swapped from my Sabre to the Scabbard. But rather than going to get it, I decided to work on deploying the network in other sectors and to retrieve the satellite when all sectors (other than Paranid) were covered.

In one of these sectors, I noticed some crates floating around from a recent battle, and they happened to be shields. Being a good opportunist, I snapped them right up. But when I got to an Argon equipment dock to sell them, I accidentally sold the 25 MJ shield I had installed. I didn't have the reputation with the Argon to even buy a 5 MJ shield, so I just installed a couple of 1 MJ shields and thought that would be okay for now. But then opportunity knocked on my door hard. By chance, I saw that Revelation was under attack by Kha'ak....and there were three Gamma Electromagnetic Plasma Cannons floating around. Not one, not two, three of these 1 million credit weapons. This was too good to pass up, and so I decided to risk it and jumped in. The Kha'ak were occupied with the freighters in the sector, and they paid no attention to the undershielded, scavenging passenger transport. I got the Gamma EMPCs with no problems, and, rather than risking things further, should have just jumped out with them. But I saw that were also Beta EMPCs floating around, and at 300k each, they're nothing to sneeze at, either.

So, in my greed I flew over to the crate, snapping up some Alpha EMPCs that happened to be on my way. But as I got closer, I saw that there was another crate floating next to the EMPCs. Thinking that I got lucky and would scoop two crates at once, I flew over them....and bounced back. My view popped out to the exterior, and I got treated to the lovely vista of my Scabbard blowing up. With me still inside it.

What was in that other crate? A 500 MJ shield. TPs can't pick up 500 MJ shields. I knew that there some some floating around in the sector as well, but since I couldn't get them, I ignored them, and I paid the ultimate price for that oversight.

Anyway, that's my third attempt at a start, and I'm considering what to do for attempt number four. Given how successful my last try was, I'm thinking that it will include a TS again, but with some other ship included so that I can do more than twiddle my thumbs while my freighter flies from Point A to Point B. I'm contemplating a mostly equipped Scimitar, but what do people here think?

Also, some discussion questions:

1. At what point does a start become overly generous and why?

2. Conversely, when does a start become too difficult to enjoy?

3. What's your favorite start?

4. What self-imposed rules do you use? How does that affect the difficulty of a start?

Of course, anything else related to XTC starts or X3:TC starts in general is welcome.

Galder
30-04-2012, 08:13 AM
:mrgreen: Very nice story. The part with the destroyed and undershielded TP is so me.... i wouldn't have resisted those crates :mrgreen:

A game start should suit to my actual mood. Normally i enjoy working my way up from a tiny ship to something with a decent punch. My favorite gamestart is the Split in a M5. The others have some twists. Even with a frigate or the PHQ in the paranid start, you'll quickly discover that your reputation is not enough to buy a M4. The terran Yokohama uses ammunition, and you don't have a lot of money to buy that. So every round of the forwards guns does hurt your bank account. The paranid TL may be worth millions, but it's in the beginning just a flying rock, and you can't even trade in that thing. So both starts are practically also starting in a M5, but with some millions on your bank account. The argon start is a bit too far away from the argon sectors, but that's a different story. Boron and Teladi starts are easier, but i'm not that peaceful ;)

My rules on a game start?The sky is the limit. I enjoy fighting, so i'm often trying the impossible. Dead is dead is too limiting for me, but that's only me, and nobody needs to enjoy the same (or feel criticised ;) ). If i see a rewarding mission and get to the point that this shabby <raceXY> ******* offering the mission is sniggering suspiciously, but the reward is insanely high, i consider that i still can go for the two good old dwarf style fighting rules. There's is nothing impossible, only a broader variation of the meaning of "challenge", and... if your enemes are heads amd shoulders above you (bigger) cut down their knees to get to equal height. Playing a headhunter or a mercenary is offering a lot of challenges, and in case i still sit in the split Jaguar, i even add sometimes the thrill of crossing gates on autopilot. Dude, believe me, i was a lot more often in danger of a heart attack while on autopilot through a gate than in a fight :mrgreen: But that autopilot never let me down, and even if he did some things denying the sheer existance of natural physic rules, i always came out on the other side in one piece. I only had to take some deep breaths afterwards, because i simply forgot to do them while approaching the gate... i also had to clean my fingernails from those nasty wood pieces from clawing into the desk to get some grip while the ship spun on 4 axis on autopilot.

I reload a lot, but fighting in a M5 is really putting your virtual life to a risk, and that's a lot of fun. Bailing chances are normally set to mediocre chances, so i get 1 out of 15-20 fighters. If my nerves can't take the fighting anymore, i'm cooling down by buying a TS (see, the one with 1 MJ shields ;) because i haven't any money left). I i happen to have a M4 bailed, i'm often trying to get a M3 to bail, i rarely buy fighters. Maybe if nothing bailed before, but then again, i'm going after the split pirate Chimeras or the teladi pirate Keas without doing missions. The next is earning a M6 and training 5 marines. Me in a M6 with 5 marines, and i dtop completely doing missions. Boarding is a lot more rewarding and fun with the boarding extension, and the pirates are streaming into race territories. And then my start is complete, as i'm free to go for any way i'd like. Building complexes, buying a M7 or even M2, training 20 marines and boarding the pirate M7s in their own sectors... i rarely do missions after i got myself a M6 and some marines.

ludicer
30-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I always prefer the Argon start.. It's probably the most difficult among them. But reading your story, I must say that you must reconsider your expectations. XTC is a difficult and slow-paced game specially until you get your first good m3/m3+ (depends on your dog-fighting preferences) and/or trader/station.

Fighting is a lot more tactical, in other words, your advantages and disadvantages count. (The ai uses it's advantages quite well, if their bulk power is lesser than yours (shields, firepower) that usually means they're faster, and in those conditions they use evasive maneuvers, hit&run tactics. They use it so well that sometimes you just get bored of the 1 hour dog-fight for a mere m4 but can't turn your back, as they'll exploit that too.. So fighting against a much faster opponent is quite a pain in the ***. Fighting when you're outnumbered is also a lost cause (if you don't have a good suited ship for it, and that usually doesn't come from the beginning). The ai uses flanking tactics and you usually end up in cross fire, which quite means instant "kaboom" considering your stock shielding.

If you want an aggressive, fast-paced start you should choose the pirate way (check neurotoxin's (sorry if I'm misspelling) guide). Risk having bad notoriety with some races, search out for lone, vulnerable targets and follow them until they're out in the open, safe from police & military and hunt them there.

The trading is part is also quite funny. If you've chosen a difficult start, that means you don't have a decent cargo space. Even if raw materials (energy etc.) are at scarce at the beginning, it will take a life-time making big bucks via free trading, specially when the current sector sizes are considered (until of course you get yourself a jump drive and a decent cargo ship).

So taxi missions and scavenging are probably the only ways to go until you get your hands on some decent bucks/ship etc.

Well, you think missions suck the challenge out of the game, but with the current XTC version, you're literally left in space with whatever you have. What you face now is more or less what you're gonna get (except for the missions and expansion related development ). Another reason is the lack of a starting plot which carries you to the point where you get going... That will come with 2.0.

So, that long piece pretty much is an answer for questions 1, 2 & 3. I see it pace related rather than difficulty related. In the end everyone gets a freighter or a decent m3 at some point. The game starts the gain pace after that. It's only a matter of choice if you want to start from that point right on, or slowly develop your assets by scavenging, using every opportunity in a really cautious manner and experience the rewarding feeling of accomplishment.

Honestly, when I say cautious, I mean literally over-cautious, specially if you're self-imposing a dead is dead type thingy... If you get impatient in engaging, the game punishes you. If you get impatient in looting, the game punishes you (I started over several times for rushing into a yummy loot in an invaded sector:) ). You must really plan your actions ahead, assess the risks, calculate escape options, wait for a right time in this game. That's one of the things I love about XTC. You don't have to self-impose rules for this type of challenge, the game already forces you.

skylinedr
30-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Nice story.

I've chosen the paranid start, because coming from vanilla TC just with self modified game i wanted to get to know the XTC universe first. Quickly i had to learn (like you ;) ) that in M5 you cannot do anything except flying from point A to point B, fighting is too nerve wracking for me. So after an hour or so i decided to modify the startfile and switch the M5 with a Demeter.

With this slightly modified start i'm happy. :) Easy trading from one sector to another, sightseeing the new universe, collecting credits for the first station. I dont fight with fighters anymore since a longer time, i played numerous X games and i dont need this "thrill" anymore. Same thing with "starting in M5 plus 100 C$." I dont need such difficult gamestarts anymore. The game becomes enjoying to me at the point where money earned while i am traveling trough the universe.

Nemoricus
30-04-2012, 10:35 AM
:mrgreen: Very nice story. The part with the destroyed and undershielded TP is so me.... i wouldn't have resisted those crates :mrgreen:

This one is going under my 'Lessons Learned' category. Make sure your ship has decent shields, for your life literally depends on it. Or if you don't, keep a very close eye on where you're going.

Your comments about the frigate and how it's not as easy as it seems have me thinking. Even if you sell it, you don't have the reputation to buy ships with any of the factions. With a ship that big, you can't trade, so you can't gain reputation that way. In the absence of missions, that leaves destroying enemy ships to gain reputation so that you can finally buy one. Or hope you get lucky and one bails. But even then, an M7's armaments are very expensive, and selling off a few would quickly increase your bank account. Each M/AML costs a few hundred thousand, after all, and until you get a regular income you don't want to use them much anyway. That said, you can scavenge shields and weapons in an M7 quite easily....

At the moment, I'm thinking a TS/M3 start is ideal for me. Or perhaps a TM/M3/3 M5 start, which will slow down the speed of trading some.

Though I wonder how an M6 start would turn out....

I always prefer the Argon start.. It's probably the most difficult among them. But reading your story, I must say that you must reconsider your expectations. XTC is a difficult and slow-paced game specially until you get your first good m3/m3+ (depends on your dog-fighting preferences) and/or trader/station.

I've come to appreciate this after my attempts at a start so far. An M3 is the point at which combat begins to be enjoyable for me, since they have the firepower to wear down the shields of transports in a reasonable time, the shields to make a mishap less concerning, and the ability to mount jumpdrives, which is nice for when things get bad. And once you have a proper transport, you can start trading in volumes that make a good amount of money per trade, even if all you're dealing in is energy cells.

Well, you think missions suck the challenge out of the game, but with the current XTC version, you're literally left in space with whatever you have.

This is a big part of why I'm not doing them, as my actions are then only in response to the situation in the universe and my own capabilities. The generic missions are fairly artificial, and not linked very well to the actual game state. Not doing them does slow down the pace of the game, but the main thing it slows is the reputation increase, which I like because doing missions causes it to go up way too fast. Instead, you have to trade with a race, or destroy their enemies, which is a much more moderate process.

Honestly, when I say cautious, I mean literally over-cautious, specially if you're self-imposing a dead is dead type thingy... If you get impatient in engaging, the game punishes you. If you get impatient in looting, the game punishes you (I started over several times for rushing into a yummy loot in an invaded sector:) ). You must really plan your actions ahead, assess the risks, calculate escape options, wait for a right time in this game. That's one of the things I love about XTC. You don't have to self-impose rules for this type of challenge, the game already forces you.

*chortles* I jumped into the sector while there were still Kha'ak in it. I knew how I would escape if they started to make a move on me (jumpdrive), and I knew that their fastest ship was as fast as my TP, so they couldn't catch up if I didn't let them. And while the last crate was near them, it was also near a gate, so I could escape easily. Also, they were just scouts and they were already trying to harass a freighter, with no results. So, it seemed to be pretty safe. What I didn't consider was the fact that a 500 MJ crate is an immovable object and my undershielded TP was most definitely not irresistible force. See the top of this post for the lesson learned.

EDIT: Correction, their M3 was as fast as I was, but since the scouts were following the fighter and didn't engage independently while it lived, the fighter's speed was the only one that mattered.

So, that long piece pretty much is an answer for questions 1, 2 & 3. I see it pace related rather than difficulty related. In the end everyone gets a freighter or a decent m3 at some point. The game starts the gain pace after that. It's only a matter of choice if you want to start from that point right on, or slowly develop your assets by scavenging, using every opportunity in a really cautious manner and experience the rewarding feeling of accomplishment.

My questions were mostly meant to see what people's own preferences were. So I wonder, what do you consider to be a good start?

Also, the pacing and difficulty of a start are not the same thing in my eyes. They're related, yes, but difficulty is in how dangerous the start is or how skillful you have to be to progress. Pacing is a measure of how fast that progress is.

For example, say you start off with a transport and nothing else. Assuming you're on good terms with the local race, this is an easy start because there's not much danger and it doesn't take too much skill to find good trades. However, it can still be a slow paced start if the reputation increase is also slow, as is the case when I don't do missions. On the other hand, if the local race is hostile, it quickly becomes difficult because it would then take skill and more than a little luck to escape.

Both difficulty and pacing are quite subjective, though, so it all comes down to your own tastes there.

Galder
30-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Your comments about the frigate and how it's not as easy as it seems have me thinking. Even if you sell it, you don't have the reputation to buy ships with any of the factions. With a ship that big, you can't trade, so you can't gain reputation that way. In the absence of missions, that leaves destroying enemy ships to gain reputation so that you can finally buy one. Or hope you get lucky and one bails. But even then, an M7's armaments are very expensive, and selling off a few would quickly increase your bank account. Each M/AML costs a few hundred thousand, after all, and until you get a regular income you don't want to use them much anyway. That said, you can scavenge shields and weapons in an M7 quite easily...

Of course, that's the easy part of them ;) You'll have tons of money, but until you can use it you need to make a living like anyone else. By the way, these starts are the more lore starts... they're based on stories posted about XTC while it was in the development:
http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/16004-3rd-anniversary-of-XTended-and-news-of-XTended-Terran-Conflict
The author is krm, who's still busy writing his own stories ;) AS and enenra just posted them. If you want to know about the background of the paranid and terran starts, it's an entertaining story.
Anyway, it's a small twist for those who are using the start, so it won't get too easy right from the beginning.

About the slow paced gameplay, that's always depending on the users style to play and fly. Everyone has different habits in combat, and as it is a single player game you don't see any other options, as you can't look over the shoulder of someone else. So it's often a good idea to take a risk and to try something new. If you haven't been able to shoot down other M5s in your own one, getting caught in crossfire and other nasty things, maybe you could have done something different. A M5 isn't a brawler, it's more like a race horse. You need to rely on speed and not being hit, so your first and only thought in the beginning of the fight should be to stay in areas where the enemies shots aren't ;) A head to head situation is the worst case for a M5. So you should not even think to shoot at the enemy. Dodging his shots is the most important thing to stay alive. If he's really close and you're about to pass him, hit the brakes. Those who're flying constantly at max speed will have problems. Slower speed -> alot more narrow turns. This way you get on the tail of your opponent. Don't let him shake you off, control your speed and stay on his tail, which has preferably no rear turret ;) This works for enemy M5s and several M3s (without rear turrets) If you're facing a M4, it has deadly PBEs. So you need to find a way to distract him. Hiding behind a roid, station or freighter is absolutely possible. Once you're on his tail, he's an easy prey ;)
Everything with a rear turret is risky. Stay away from them or let someone else deal with them. The police is always somewhere around ;)
Fighting in a M4 is similar, but you need to get close and personal to get your PBEs to work. The shields aren't that great, so you're only protected from stray shots and you can't afford to go head to head to an enemy. The good news is that you can mount weapons that are zapping shields like nothing, but it takes a while to burn down the hull. M4s are good for capping ships, but beware of those nasty rear turrets. Your shields aren't made to last for eternity ;)

thetack
30-04-2012, 04:45 PM
prefer the argon start myself but dont go mutch for the fighting thing, the first thing i do is sell all but one of the guns which i leave in the rear for missle defence, then i use the cash to buy engine tunings, cargo bay extensions and the remote trading extension, leaving just enough for e cells to the cargo bay limit, i then use the profits to buy more cargo and repeat e cell runs or other low end goods runs , wheat, space fuel etc until the cargo bay and speed are maxed.
i repeat this tactic building up my bank account until i can afford to start traiding in used ships carefuly upscaling until the first TS which i use to trade investing the profits made by this ship in repairs and speed upgrades no sheilds are instaled as a calculated risk until the ship has earned enough cash to pay for one and i have the rep to do so, boring you may think but i didnt fire a shot until i got my first M3 which i found floating in space 8) this was used to trade until it paid for its repair and then sheilds, with this i went junk hunting, deralict retreval and second hand ship buying repairing and using the TSs selling the rest.
finaly with increase bug activity i had to buy guns for my M3 and start poping a few M4s and M5s as soon as they let me i buy the police licences and then get cash for poping bugs.
the only enermies i end with are bugs and AI and thats only because the game dosnt let you build up rep with them or i would be freinds with them too, but as i cant be freinds i have been forced recently to buy firstly an M6+ and now an M7 just to keep the bugs in check.

yes i am a trader at heart and follow the brave sir robin tactics of running away from any fight i cant win :lol:

Nemoricus
30-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Of course, that's the easy part of them ;) You'll have tons of money, but until you can use it you need to make a living like anyone else. By the way, these starts are the more lore starts...

Would it be possible to have these added to the manual for XTC 2.0? They're nice reads and they would help add a bit of flavor to the universe.

RE: M5 Combat

The problem for me isn't the chasing and the dodging, which I can do just fine. The problem is actually hitting the other M5, which I chalk up to me being a lousy shot. I can hit interceptors and bigger, but scouts are too small and maneuverable for me to reliably get a bead on.

Then again, maybe I'm not maneuvering as well as I think I am....

As for M3s, I learned very rapidly that ones with rear turrets are dangerous. In an M4, you're not going to strip their shields fast enough to kill them before your own go down. So I learned to avoid them and find something safer to prey on.

Also, what are these PBEs of which you speak? As a loyal son of Terra, I stick with my tried and true electromagnetic plasma cannons. :P (That said, I really should branch out and give the other races a go. Maybe after my next run....)

i repeat this tactic building up my bank account until i can afford to start traiding in used ships carefuly upscaling until the first TS which i use to trade investing the profits made by this ship in repairs and speed upgrades no sheilds are instaled as a calculated risk until the ship has earned enough cash to pay for one and i have the rep to do so, boring you may think but i didnt fire a shot until i got my first M3 which i found floating in space 8) this was used to trade until it paid for its repair and then sheilds, with this i went junk hunting, deralict retreval and second hand ship buying repairing and using the TSs selling the rest.

Used spaceship dealer, mmm? That's actually a really good idea and I will have to try it the next time I do a fighter-only start.

Eliah
01-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Adding to the manual - Hm, probably not, I'm afraid.
The lore Galder mentions is based on krm's fan-fics which can be read right here on these forums. Including every of his fiction into the manual would bloat the size too much - especially as the manual is meant to be a feature & info reference, not a bedtime read (that's more the in-game GNS articles), and including only a few paragraphs would do injustice to the fact that it's based on so much more.
As it is, the starts are in a way a bit of an easter egg - the people who are involved enough to read X fanfics will recognize them, and the people who don't will not be missing out on anything either.

Solitas
01-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Then again, maybe I'm not maneuvering as well as I think I am.... Practice makes perfect :)
I use only the keyboard, and let me tell it is intense especially in an M5:lol:

As for M3s, I learned very rapidly that ones with rear turrets are dangerous. In an M4, you're not going to strip their shields fast enough to kill them before your own go down. So I learned to avoid them and find something safer to prey on.
A Scorpion or whatever M4(except Terran) with a full complement of Mass Drivers will do wonders trust meO0

Nemoricus
01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
As it is, the starts are in a way a bit of an easter egg - the people who are involved enough to read X fanfics will recognize them, and the people who don't will not be missing out on anything either.

Perhaps simply a link to the stories instead? Still, as you say it's not really a big deal.

A Scorpion or whatever M4(except Terran) with a full complement of Mass Drivers will do wonders trust meO0

Is the AI smart enough to bail in that situation? I remember reading that AI ships won't bail if their shields are still intact in the base game, but is this still true in XTC?

Galder
01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I remember reading that AI ships won't bail if their shields are still intact in the base game, but is this still true in XTC?

As far as i know yes, because it's tied to a certain hook. Every time the ship hull is hit, there's a chance that equipment may be lost or the pilot bails.

thetack
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
so galder we dont have to reduce sheilds to allow for a bail, are you therefore using a completly different bailing script to the vanilla because to get a bail on that you needed to reduce sheilds to 0% then reduce the hull to 73%( i think it was) then allow sheilds to come back and reduce them again to make bail work.
this may give me a clue to why i get so few bails as i have been using the rinse and repeat method when i havnt been using the run away very fast method of self preservation.
not challanging your alll powerful knowlage could you confirm this is true for us or get one of the other programing guys of XTC to confirm.

Galder
01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
;) The only person who'd know about this absolutely sure is sartorie.

I'm fairly sure that he used the same hook like the original bailng script, can't imagine that he went by something else, as the hull damage can be adjusted for the bailing setup. You can adjust from which percentage on there's a chance for a ship to bail, and that's normally 60%. In vanilla it's around 80%. Every bullet that damages the hull triggers a chance to have equipment lost and/or if the pilot bails, based on his moral. The values you set the bailing chances are not dirctly percentages, and they're modified by factors like moral, so you'll never have a 100% bailing chance. I think that's why you haven't had so many ships bailing. Try to put in some higher values in the custom setting, you can revert them back to the previous ones at any time.

/edit: As the chance of bailing is based on hull damage given in the options, i assume that there's a check for the hull damage overall, so any bullet which doesn't damage the hull won't trigger the chance. To prevent Mass Drivers from being the ultimative capping weapon, there will be probably a check for the shields being at 0. So to answer the question to my best knowledge, yes, the shields should be removed.

K.J.
02-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I also like working my way up like galder. Starting in anything bigger then M5 is out of question. Not flying a split ship is out of question too, so there is only one start for me :D <br />
Getting the...

Galder
02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Very good description ;)

While we were testing the 1.0 version for the release, KJ was our first real pirate player, basing his career on a somewhat more rough attitude ;) So he knows his way into piracy. He wrote some pretty nice stories about what he did in the dev forum, and i was almost tempted to nerf the Asp, because he raided so successfully. But after testing that way myself, i saw how hard this work can be, so you need real dedication to the pirate (dark) side ;) Anyway, those were the days... I played constantly accepting fighting missions, a neverending, permanent brawl until the game hit day 2, and i was fighting Tepukeis in my OTAS Reaper :mrgreen: Yeehaw! .... alittle hint, if you're sitting in a M6 with EMP installed, flooded by dronnes zipping past your windshield, manually trigger the EMP ;) Drones do get some migraine from it ;)

Nemoricus
02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
As you say, it basically would have to be done that way. Otherwise you'd get scenarios like players throwing swarms of fighters at corvettes and bigger, just to bypass their heavy shields and get...

K.J.
02-05-2012, 06:27 PM
An M4 actually would be more or less ideal for me to start in, if things were somewhat different. In particular, the fact that freighters just don't seem to bail, at least if they're Paranid, is quite frustrating. It takes ten minutes to shoot their shields all the way down with a Sabre's lasers, and since about one in fifteen bails even at 50% rate, that means that it's hours before I get even one capture. And if the freighter drops a swarm of drones on me, that's another ten minutes just dodging their fire, which gets a little tiresome after a while.
Well the trick is to go after their cargo and not their ships ;) If the ship bails its a bonus, but the cargo is always there - provided you didn't start shooting empty transporters. You have to tell the pilot to drop his cargo, they rarely voluntary do (and if so it usually is his magic tree or fluffy dice -.-" hate those). But i agree that bailing is very rare compared to vanilla.

Nemoricus
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Ooh, I didn't think too much about the cargo. I never did much piracy in the base game, so I also didn't know that you have to comm them to get their freight to drop most of them.

Thank you for telling me about it!

H-K
03-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Hiya,

I see XTC as a hardcore game and try to keep it realistic as possible so when i start off with just an undershielded underpowered M5 i'm scared of everything, just imagine yourself flying it in real life and you wouldn't even think of doing combat with anything stronger than a spacefly.

So that's how I start my games, using the speed of my M5 as protection I stay away from everything and explore the safer sectorr to see if I can get a regular job like playing taxiservice untill I can at least max my shields, scanners and fightcommand because without an auto-aim fighting another M5 is dangerous!

To get these upgrades it often turns out i trade e-cells for longtime but it's worth it and surely realistic,after that life still is scary but sometimes I am witness of a spacebattle between 2 other M5's and see one of them fly away with almost no shields and half hull strenght then this is where I take my chance and beat up that hurt lone M5 to see if I can take a huge step up in the universe.

Scavenge mosquito missles, taxi rich people around untill at some point I have just enough cash to sell everything I have and fly to a shipyard in my spacesuit to buy the cheapest unshielded freighter possible where I then trade e-cells with again untill I can upgrade it slowly.

Trading is the safest way to go and only after I have enough to buy an M4 do I start growing some cohones :), in an M4 with maybe 2 PAC's I feel tough enough to take on an M5 or fly around spacebattles to scavenge things more expensive then mosquito's or e-cells.

It takes a longtime to get enough resources to call myself a fighter-pilot and sometimes I still end up trading e-cells in my M4 because I misjudged an opponent and got my hull shot up too much to pay for repairs.

I like it that way because when I later do own an M3 with a 25MJ shield and 2 Pac's I feel like Mike Tyson and start stomping on dumb pilots that try to take me on in their M5's which I try to claim if they bail.

It's the road that is enjpyable for me because the destination will always be the same old "I own a strong ship with chaff and max shields so almost nothing can touch me".

K.J.
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I am witness of a spacebattle between 2 other M5's and see one of them fly away with almost no shields and half hull strenght then this is where I take my chance and beat up that hurt lone M5
by the time you are there the shields are back up ^^ Overwhelming a single M5 is easy, just come in guns blazing. The 4 PAC will tear the ship apart in a single pass.

"I own a strong ship with chaff and max shields so almost nothing can touch me".
That's why i rarely sit in something else then a M3 in the "can have everything" stage (-not any M3 actually- a Mamba Vanguard it always is). I call in bomber support if i need something big removed, a ferry for longer jumps and salvaged fightercrafts, supplyships in case i'm short on something, armored transports to pick up highvalue loot ... Makes much more fun compared to slugging your way through sectors at 60m/s in a M2 and things still get dangerous (read: exciting).

Fencing of waves of a Xenon carrierwing, to buy your TS+ time to pick up the crate stuffed with multimillion Cr. lasers, that was dropped from the Q, which in turn was destroyed by your bomber, is pure excitement... especially if it worked out. Well it didn't for me, the crates exploded 2km before the TS reached them and i had to make a hasty retreat xD
Needless to say that my M3 was empty on e-cells (forgot refuel, oops), the TS+ with some spare e-cells somewhere on the other side of the sector with a Q closing in quickly from 8km distance. Commanding the TS to drop some cells and to get the heck out of there while under fire from a bunch of fighters without getting killed needs quick fingers :D

skylinedr
03-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Based on my experience with Terran fighters, the Vanguard variant seems to be the one of choice for a player combat ship. More speed and more laser power at no cost to shields and a minimal cost in cargo bay? What's not to like about them?

Nothing. You're absolutely right about that. Thats exactly what i found out too. All Vanguard variants are the best of its own series, especially the Falchion Vanguard seems to me to be the best M4+ all over. Thatswhy i've always a 10 wing fleet in my carrier. On the M3's i would say the Mamba Vanguard could be the best choice, i gave it the rear turret back and let my HQ produce the hell out of those ones. ;) With M3+ i am unsure, but i think the Tenjin Vanguard looks good, with the turrets left/right, not forward/backward.

The Hauler variants i am using for claimed ships, to beam over jumpdrive plus enough cells, that they can jump home. (Kea Hauler with 513 cargo)

Nemoricus
04-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Well, it looks like Paranid don't like to dump their cargo, either. They're quite stubborn about keeping what's theirs, so raiding them is a fairly fruitless endeavour. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Actually, the Raiders...

ludicer
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Sentinels still have me looking at them skeptically. A fighter's main armor is its speed, not its shields, so to trade the former for the latter doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. Still, I'll have to give them a spin, too.

Still, a matter of choice. But I also go for speed and maneuverability. Why risk increasing the power to endure a few more hits, while I have the chance to avoid them at all.

Damn, this topic just gives me an irresistible craving to play the game. Must.... not.... get... drawn.. in to....XTC.... Must... not.... Damn... only if I didn't have several important tasks due to the end of may :(... The thing is, I was planning to transfer 1/3 of all my current assets to 2.0 when it comes out. Now with all the talk on starting from scratch, I'm considering a really hardcore start: with a stripped m5 and a dead is dead rule. The feeling of achievement is priceless.

Though, don't you guys feel lagged behind the game with slow starts? I kind of feel overwhelmed when I don't catch the pace of the expansions.

Galder
04-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Look at it from a different angle. What would happen if you transfer your wealth directly to 2.0? You wouldn't gain a single thing but waste a lot of fun to make your way to the top in a new way ;) It's a single player game, and nobody is actually forcing you to be successful. In difference to Online/Multiplayer games there's nothing to compete with. The faster you play "through" the game, the more fun you will miss. Start from scratch, take your time and find your way to play. The longer it takes, without being boring for you of course, the better your game experience will be. If you don't have the time in may... who cares? We will still be here in June and the mod doesn't get rotten over time ;) It'll just be better due to the time for bugfixes, patches and mods for the mod ;)

K.J.
05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Well, it looks like Paranid don't like to dump their cargo, either. They're quite stubborn about keeping what's theirs, so raiding them is a fairly fruitless endeavour.
everyone will drop them ;) you just have to convince them that you mean business
beeing more precise:
you have to get through the shield and do a little bit of damage to their hull
after that they will negotiate ^^ They won't drop installed equipment though.

Actually, the Raiders are pretty good, too. Depending on the model, you only lose one shield out of seven, which still leaves you with a pretty respectable amount
Mamba Standard/Vanguard: 4x 25MJ Mamba Raider: 2x25MJ, +10m/s speed improvement, which would you choose?^^ M.Raider is still good, but not as good as Vanguard.

A fighter's main armor is its speed, not its shields
Kea Sentinel... with 2.0 Shield options you will be able to get 8x75MJ on that ship... 600MJ on a fighter ^^

skylinedr
05-05-2012, 12:56 AM
..8x75MJ on that ship... 600MJ on a fighter ^^

Woho, thats a lot. Does that mean you guys have redesigned the fighter shields? Maybe to something like 3/15/75 MJ and finally get rid of the oldscool-noneed-1MJ shields? =)

K.J.
05-05-2012, 01:04 AM
from december news: <br />
<br />
;) <br />
<br />
<br />
Well 1MJ is better then nothing... if you have fought in a Jaguar you know what i'm talking about

Nemoricus
05-05-2012, 02:32 AM
everyone will drop them ;) you just have to convince them that you mean business
beeing more precise:
you have to get through the shield and do a little bit of damage to their hull
after that they will negotiate ^^ They won't drop installed equipment though.

I've tried that, too. They still don't like to drop their cargo, even when they're a hairsbreadth from death.

Oh, well. Killing them gives me reputation with both the Argon and Terrans, and now that I've actually set their bail chances to 50% I might actually see some of them abandon their ships. (I somehow forgot to change these when I started this time, which is annoying considering that I've killed at least twenty of them by now.)

Mamba Standard/Vanguard: 4x 25MJ Mamba Raider: 2x25MJ, +10m/s speed improvement, which would you choose?^^ M.Raider is still good, but not as good as Vanguard.

And a Falchion Raider has 6x5MJ shields, so as I said it depends on which model of fighter you're using. I consider the 5MJ loss to be a fair trade-off for a little extra speed, though I may go to the Scimitar/Cutlass Vanguard when I have the funds and reputation for it.

And 600 MJ of shields? On a *fighter*? That's a very scary thought, since that's corvette levels of shielding. And if hardened shields exist for all shield types....1.5 GJ of shields on a freighter is not bad. Not bad at all....

As for the 1MJ shields, they still have a role. They're what keep M5 from dying when someone looking at them funny, after all.

thetack
05-05-2012, 07:26 AM
stupid question time,
exactly how mutch difference is there between the difficulty levels in the game and what peramiters do the relevent settings change.
what is the real difference between hard and x-treme that warants the big red warning.

Galder
05-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Kea Sentinel... with 2.0 Shield options you will be able to get 8x75MJ on that ship... 600MJ on a fighter ^^

You're kidding, do you?

Nemoricus
05-05-2012, 11:24 AM
For some reason, I don't think he is. Stronger shields were mentioned in the last announcement, after all.

Anyway, I think my woes with getting ships to bail were due to the fact that the bailing chance was never increased. I bailed the very first ship I ran into after increasing it to 50%, and I just got a string of five Paranid freighters to bail, which is a little too much for my liking. So, I'm dropping it to 30% and seeing if that gets me the results I want, which is to have about one ship in two or three bail.

All in all, this start is going quite well. After 29 in-game hours, I now have five freighters active freighters and 2 million in the bank. The Kha'ak are rather active this time around, and it seems like every time I look around the sectors, at least one is under attack by the bugs. The only problem is that they're often so far away that I can't there in time to do any good. I learned a few things about them, though. One, when there's a swarm of fighters around, it's great to bring friends, and the Boron Royal Navy Hydra is a great friend in how it can draw fire. The Vanguard corvettes, on the other hand, don't seem too worrisome to a fighter, though I only fought two at once. They're frail for corvettes, too, and seem more like an unusually heavy fighter.

Combat wise, my Falchion Raider is still doing great. Fast and maneuverable enough to get away from anything it can't kill, powerful enough to hold its own in a fight, and with enough shields to keep slight mistakes from being fatal. I don't think it's overly powerful, because you have to be very careful about what fights you pick, and avoid any situation where you're outnumbered like the plague. The fighter does beautifully at commerce raiding, even if fighter drones are extremely difficult to shoot down. Against other fighters, it's great against anything its size or smaller, though M3 with rear turrets are a worry for it.

Once again, a TS/M4 start seems to be about ideal for starting me off at the point of the game where I really start to enjoy myself, and I think it's probably the best start for a trader/fighter who neither wants things handed to him nor a prolonged slow start. I'm going to keep trying new starts each time, of course, but so far this one is pretty good.

Galder
05-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I hope he does. That'd dumb down the gameplay to the vanilla Springblossom way, not only once, but several times.

Nemoricus
05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
That depends on whether AI ships use the hardened shields or not. In any case, I see a few ways that this can turn out. <br />
<br />
First, if the hardened shields are widespread and cheap enough, this...

K.J.
05-05-2012, 12:12 PM
That'd dumb down the gameplay to the vanilla Springblossom way, not only once, but several times.
Kea Sentinel is the fighter with the most shields, and it's as slow as a M6. There will be hardly a Springblossom feeling there.

First, if the hardened shields are widespread and cheap enough, this effectively makes them the default for any sensible player
Well, if you can live with the drawback - longer reload times. And the stronger military shields are insanely expensive as you might know from 1.2

Mangar
05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey K.J., Lately I have been putting several types on one ship. ************

edit: Don't spoil it Mangar :ninja: - KJ

Galder
05-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Well. if you add 600 MJ shields to a fighter, who cares about a Springblossom at all? :mrgreen:

Exactly as you said Nemoricus, that makes them the default shields... and we fly against the poor (shieldwise) underrated NPCs. Have you been wondering about weapons lately? Even ES did not come up with that one :mrgreen: Anyway, good luck with that brilliant idea :mrgreen:

Eliah
05-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Who ever said that those shields are unique to the player, I wonder? They're not. NPCs can use them just fine, thank you.

But don't let facts stand in the way of assumptions ;)

Nemoricus
05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
I never assumed that they would be player-exclusive myself. Quite the opposite, in fact. <br />
<br />
However, while I'll grant that recharge rate can make or break those shields, for some classes of ships the...

Galder
05-05-2012, 04:18 PM
In fact, there's still XRM left to play, dear Eliah ;) As i said, good luck, guys.

H-K
08-05-2012, 08:13 AM
stupid question time,
exactly how mutch difference is there between the difficulty levels in the game and what peramiters do the relevent settings change.
what is the real difference between hard and x-treme that warants the big red warning.

Don't think 2.0 will change much in the difference between say "Hard" and "Extreme" from 1.2 so you can check it out for yourself right now.
The biggest differencess I have found are that soon you set it to Extreme you can't change the difficulty settings anymore and you can't buy jumpdrives anywhere, more khaak and xenon invasions and generally a true hardcore universe that can make you cry at night :)
If you do manage to build a little empire and find a smart way to obtain at least 1 jumpdrive you will be very very proud of yourself.

Regarding the changes in shields and Kia with 600mj I can only say it sounds awsome, it sounds like I will have to rethink many strategies and have a lot more options to choose from when 2.0 comes out!

Hoping that last gamestopping bug will get squished soon :)

Solitas
08-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Hoping that last gamestopping bug will get squished soon I hope so too....
All we can do is wait.....
I admire how they sacrifice their precious time and sanity to rid the game of the bugs that might make us complain about it....
I bow down to all of you and await the fruits of your labor, regardless of when that may be....:xtcflag:
In the meantime, I will explore and polish my trading skills in vanilla AP( I`m forcing myself to like it so that I can forget everything about XTC so that when 2.0 comes out, the pleasure of exploring it will be much much higher :) )

skylinedr
10-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I have a question to those ones who know the lore of X.

Which form of gouvernment are the Split? Monarchy, communism, dictators.... what is it?

I create a new really hard gamestart, where you play as heir of Rhonkar. I dont know how to call him... leader, king, master ... ? I hope someone does know such things, its a shame that stuff never really appears ingame.

Dillpickle
10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Re:Split Government

Government:

The Patriarch of All Split maintains a dictatorship over the smaller Patriarchies within his realm.

Since he is not elected to office, as well as attending to the usual matters of government and state he must constantly defend himself from coup attempts. The average term of a Patriarch of All Split is three years; succession is almost always by "dead man's boots".

skylinedr
11-05-2012, 08:46 AM
I didnt knew there is an encyclopedia. :) Thank you, so it is a dictatorship.

thetack
11-05-2012, 07:32 PM
if you have a digital copy of the superbox and register it its advalable on the egosoft site as a download or if you buy the box set you get it as a nice little printed book, not to mention all the x series up to TC updated to latest patches and win 7 compatable not a bad investment if you have never got the five games originaly 8)

Nemoricus
11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
if you have a digital copy of the superbox and register it its advalable on the egosoft site as a download or if you buy the box set you get it as a nice little printed book, not to mention all the x series up to TC updated to latest patches and win 7 compatable not a bad investment if you have never got the five games originaly 8)

This is questionable, as I do not own the Superbox and it is still available to me on the Egosoft website. I do, however, have X3:Reunion, X3:Terran Conflict, and X3:Albion Prelude, but only TC is registered with my Egosoft forum account. So, you may not need it to get the .pdf.

If you can get it, the link is here (http://www.egosoft.com/download/superbox/bonus_en.php?list=114). The quality of the writing is unimpressive, but it is still informative with regards to Egosoft's canon for the games.

thetack
11-05-2012, 09:01 PM
hopefuly you are right nemoricus i am only going by whats on the ego site superbox download page where it says advalable to registered superbox users , dont know as i own and have registered all X2, X3R, X3TC and the superbox so have the book and the download versions. i agree with you about the quality of the writing and like all Egos stuff it seems a great idea just poorly implermented

Aragon Speed
15-05-2012, 09:49 AM
That's because it was written in German by Helge Kautz and then translated to English. It loses something in translation. ^^

Additionally it is an Encyclopedia, it is supposed to give information not entertain you as a piece of creative writing. :p

thetack
15-05-2012, 05:19 PM
it was not the writing or the translation i was surgesting was the problem just how mutch more could be included , for example no mention of fred harling, bret, ban danna or a certan boron who is the universes most gifted engine designer and a royal pain in the a****s, i know it would have cost Ego more to print but a few more nods to X2 would have been nice.

Eliah
15-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Here's the thing about that.. X games are, in essence, based on H.Kautz's storylines and books.. And a bunch of things have gotten ignored or lost in the transition to the games. The result is that Helge has his own idea of his universe, and the games present another vision of that - and the encyclopedia's lore section attempts to wrangle the game-universe back into Helge's vision..
And that's the thing, personally I don't think it actually works all that well. For example, it turned out that Helge's "Aldrin systems" are completely different in origin and attitude than what could be read & discerned from X3: Terran Conflict (which is a major reason why our mod's general universe background is, well, so incompatible with Albion-Prelude/Rebirth - we didn't anticipate so much of the game's vision, presentation being wiped off and edited out of existence); alternatively, consider what the encyclopedia says about the Xenon (extreme pan-galactic and even transgalactic spread, endangering superadvanced god-like beings that battle the heat-death of the universe itself, blahblahblah) - it *completely* goes against a) the timelines of these games (have the X games ever been about millennias passing?), and b) the Xenon we have all seen, fought, and defeated again and again. Ultimately, when you try to squeeze a universe from a game into a universe for a book/story, it doesn't come across well - and that's, imo, exactly what happened in this case, with the X encyclopaedia. Yeah, sure, the sometimes odd translation didn't help there, but there are plain translation errors and then there are the deeper mistmatches between what's written and what we've seen in our games.

wwdragon
16-05-2012, 03:58 AM
I saw those stories you guys wrote and enjoyed them. :)

1) It's too generous when I can skip all missions and go right to the end game content with a good chance to succeed. I'm thinking of raiding Xenon sectors solo, with an M7 here.

2) It's too difficult when I can't go around scavenging everything from destroyed fighters. It's also to difficult when I have no chance to take out raiding enemy groups.
This is a current problem in 1.2a with friendly npcs being quite eager to destroy enemies in sector, but not jumping in to help from other sectors; when they do it's usually an M6 responding to an entire enemy fleet, which is wiped out in short order. :shock:
The best spots to salvage in the beginning are areas where pirates come into Commonwealth space, but also the most dangerous from lack of support.

3) Always Argon :) When I get rich enough to afford the Otas stuff, I upgrade to their ships.

4) My only self-imposed rule is continuity. If XTC 2 comes out and I had 800million in assets (nice automated asset tracking, btw!), I'll start the new game with 800million credits.
The only other instance is when I start a whole new game out of boredom. In this case, I won't buy any ships; I am a scavenger! :lol: