PDA

View Full Version : Stations Is there any way to produce Military Shield independantly?

wwdragon
16-05-2012, 03:04 PM
So I stayed up all night. I might as well ask another question I came across over the course of my X'ing....

Title says it directly. I cannot find a way to produce them. Tried buying a configurable shield production facility, but it only lets me produce standard shields.
Since I'm only interested in the best tech, this was no help. I read through the manual again and none of the mobile ships list shield production, just weapons, tech, ecells and foodstuffs.

I want to give ADS and carrier combat a try. I've re-engineered some of the better fighters and have the buildings to produce them, as well as a convenient Xenon J now blueprinted(50 ship hanger!).
So how can I make my fledgling empire independent of the races and produce Military grade shielding?

Aragon Speed
16-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: No, they are for the military only. The only way to get them is to scavenge them either via loot drops or by capping appropriate ships. There are a few stations that will sell them to the player at very high prices, but no way to produce your own.

wwdragon
16-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Aw that sucks. :(

Xenon187
17-05-2012, 11:05 AM
i think this question should be in FAQ. so many time it has been asked.

wwdragon
17-05-2012, 09:35 PM
i think this question should be in FAQ. so many time it has been asked.
Good idea.

... Or just add reproduction of military grade shields to the configurable shield fab. Since in any real(ish) war, tech theft is a major thing. :)

Neurotoxin
18-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Since in any real(ish) war, tech theft is a major thing.

Realistically if you could appropriate the blueprint or reverse engineer the module, you would be able to reproduce it. I think that the military should also sell term licenses for production (game days to weeks in length), whereby you can legally manufacture such shields and profit off them.

Not that I need to be legal. I'd just hijack them from a scheduled transport. ;)

H-K
18-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Important to me is that they stay a rare commodity that is difficult to obtain, with piracy you can get many but ofcourse you are a stealing outlaw when you do that :P

Staying true and honoring the law makes it even harder to obtain "many" militairy shields but again that is very realistic imo.

Mangar
18-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Staying true and honoring the law makes it even harder to obtain "many" militairy shields but again that is very realistic imo.

Yeah it is not everyday you see common people useing military grade vechiles, communication equipment except pirates ...*cough*... I mean avid militaria collectors.

IF they were common, then imagine every TS or M3 trader having military shields, would kind of hamper taking cargo donations!!!>:D

Each area of the races have specialty equipment, and even the pirate factions that I noticed. Some will have best buy and other have Jumpdrives but not vise versa.

I think making time based BP's might be harder than say "IF SCRIPTED" a Pirate TL spawing every so often having some items to sell. Selling Military grade shields, or hard to come by weapons but a player would have to hail them first. or by docking and use the barter system.

Neurotoxin
18-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah it is not everyday you see common people useing military grade vechiles, communication equipment

IF they were common, then imagine every TS or M3 trader having military shields

X is not about being common. You don't play the game every day just to fit in with every other bloke in the spacelanes, because it'd be pretty boring to do that. The player needs the ability to access this kind of technology without buying it directly because, frankly, it's often very difficult to do so when everything hates you.

Not that it's an unworthy challenge, but it's not entirely realistic. Black market that doesn't yet exist, anyone? 8)

wwdragon
18-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm not saying it should be available for all the civies. I'm saying it should be available to trusted, friendly corporations.... just like I can buy a Colossus from the Argon, only if they like me a lot. Even if they don't, once I cap one of those babies, I can re-engineer it. So if friendly, licensing production... or if enemy, capping and re-engineering it.

Real life corporations and countries also license or share tech when they have close ties too other organizations. 8)

Neurotoxin
18-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm saying it should be available to trusted, friendly corporations.... just like I can buy a Colossus from the Argon, only if they like me a lot.

I got to Honoured Strong Arm of Rhonkar (10) in one day with an M4+ Asp just as a trial once. I digress but I think the whole "if they like me a lot" is a little over-rated. If the reputation system was more dynamic (which it very well may be in 2.0, who knows), I could understand relying on it more heavily.

For now, the rep system is just an inconvenience. If I need +7 to get military shields than I'll just devote an hour to building stations for the Argon and that's that. Really no difference to a determined player. ;)

H-K
19-05-2012, 01:15 AM
X is not about being common. You don't play the game every day just to fit in with every other bloke in the spacelanes, because it'd be pretty boring to do that. The player needs the ability to access this kind of technology without buying it directly because, frankly, it's often very difficult to do so when everything hates you.

First I think we all start out as "common", trick is to become uncommon by thinking, trading, exploring or fighting, choosing a career as pirate will make this even harder.(as it should be imo)

Isn't is so that even if you were legit the militairy shields are so rare you cannot find enough for those massive fleets you have? if that is the case then I disagree because even the ships from race militairy fleets don't all have militairy shields.

I understand it is a pain to outfit multiple ships with militairy shields but why fight it? Far as I know militairy shields are meant only for your personal ship, they will not make a huge difference on AI flown ships but on your personal ship with shield/laser-energyboost they work wonders.

I've read that 2.0 will offer a whole new line of shields so have good hopes everybody will be happy when it comes out. :)

Neurotoxin
19-05-2012, 01:28 AM
First I think we all start out as "common", trick is to become uncommon by thinking, trading, exploring or fighting, choosing a career as pirate will make this even harder.(as it should be imo)

I don't get that feeling for long in Vanilla or 1.2a. At most, 15 minutes, while I figure out where I'm going after I start. After that, the common kinda goes out the window. I'm sure 2.0 will bring to life a lot more ambience, and it could very well be the fact that I've played for so many years that I've lost that sense of incompetence, but I really can't recall ever feeling truly "common." Of course, there's only so much you can do in a singleplayer game, so this isn't really a complaint. ;)

Isn't is so that even if you were legit the militairy shields are so rare you cannot find enough for those massive fleets you have? if that is the case then I disagree because even the ships from race militairy fleets don't all have militairy shields.

I'll agree with that. They're not necessarily difficult to acquire, per se, since they're only typically a few million more than regular ones, but they're certainly scarce. Though I feel that there's really no reason for that, since military shields aren't always as good as they sound, but it could just be that I haven't found the ideal situation for them yet (which would explain why the military probably hasn't either, heh, though I know such circumstances exist).

I understand it is a pain to outfit multiple ships with militairy shields but why fight it? Far as I know militairy shields are meant only for your personal ship, they will not make a huge difference on AI flown ships but on your personal ship with shield/laser-energyboost they work wonders.

Quoted for truth. Not really much use in dropping military shields on AI, unless combat is OOS and your military-equipped capital ship(s) are jumping around enough for the recharge to be worth it.

I've read that 2.0 will offer a whole new line of shields so have good hopes everybody will be happy when it comes out.

A drink to that. ;)

Yautja
11-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Didnt want to start a new post for this and think its relative enough to go here.

How many military shields does a ship need, i mean the Argon Griffon needs 2x500mj, if both installed are Military grade is the effect of the energy recharge doubled, or is one of each enough (and using two would be a waste) ?
Thanks in advance.

H-K
11-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Wrote a whole thing about recharge rates, shields and generators but in the end wasn't even totally sure so best to keep it simple :)

Safest bet is to change all shields to militairy because they won't ever make the normal shield recharge more efficient but if you only got cash for 1 then that will already be an improvement.

Nemoricus
11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Aragon Speed wrote up a rather extensive post on their workings here (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22549-Military-Shields?p=207841&viewfull=1#post207841). And ThanRo wrote another example with real ship stats here (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/20600-How-do-you-determine-whether-a-ships-shield-gen-will-gen-enough-for-mil-shield?p=191501&viewfull=1#post191501).

I hope those help.