PDA

View Full Version : The max number of boarding marines?

hothvu
17-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi all, this is my new profile after a while off,

just started 1.2a a few days ago. Everything is ok, except for that I could not get all the marines in the enemy capital ships.

As usual it should be maximum 20 marines for M1/M2. But hier in my new game:
- while capturing a Ray (Boron's M2): 15 were fired from a Cobra, after hull-cutting only exactly 10 went on boarding, the other 5 were ejected
- same thing happened while capturing a Shark, but hier only 5 were willing to stay :(

anyone got the same like me?

fresh install with 3.2 patch and XTC mod.

Loriel
17-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I've not done much boarding myself, but I don't recall seeing any such problems.

You've not indicated which method you used to board - spacewalk, missile frigate or boarding extension to the transporter - I believe the latter is the recommended method.

Loriel

rook823
17-06-2012, 09:44 PM
i never tryed boarding, whats your method???

Nemoricus
17-06-2012, 10:27 PM
I believe that each boarding pod makes separate checks to get through the hull, which is why you see marines boarding and failing to board in multiples of five. If you try boarding via space walking, each marine boards or fails to board independently, so they will all need a good skill level to get through. With the pods, only the best marine in the pod, and possibly the second best, matters for the check.

Also, the maximum number of marines you can board an M2 with is 21, not 20. A ship can be boarded by one more marine than it can normally hold, which is 6 for M6 and 21 for M1, M2, M7, and TL class ships.

I haven't tried boarding with the boarding extension, so I can't tell you anything about it.

**EDIT** Adjusted second M6 reference to M7, as it was undoubtedly an accidental typo.. ;) Cheers, NC ;) **END EDIT**

rook823
18-06-2012, 01:57 AM
is the boarding difficulty to do?? or does it easier with certain ships??

lich+ich
18-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Hi hothvu,

I strongly recommend using the Boarding Transporter Extension. It is sold by terrans and pirates. I'm not sure if you need the transporter device in order to make it work, but the device is very helpful anyways, especially when boarding in hostile sectors and you want to get your marines back on a ship with a jumpdrive as soon as possible ;)
If you want to board a ship, all you need to do is get a TP, load it with marines an keep it alive until your targets shields are down. You can either choose the "board ship" command from the "pirate" section of your ship commads or the "lauch all marines" command from the "aditional commands" section. Both will eventually beam the marines onto the other ship, but the "launch all marines" command does it faster and without the autopilot taking control over your controls (pun intended ;) ). If you are out of transporter range, the extension won't work either.

My personal recommendation for a boarding ship is the Boron Angel. It can mount Ion weaponry, has decent shielding and is not nearly as expensive as the other heavy TPs. Accompanied by a wing of Barracudas with IPG, two Angels with Boarding Transporter Extension perform splendid taking on any kind of capital ship.

If you hanven't done so already, you should turn on the "Marine Training" in the AL settings. The Marine Training Baracks as well as Pirate Stations will train their Marines for you, so you can avoid tedious manual training. The fighting-skill is also enhanced over time, so you can go for the big ones without delay ;)

Hope I could be of help :)

Lich

rook823
18-06-2012, 08:51 AM
how do you guys avoid the heavy weaponry of the cap.Ships??

pulzarokkit
18-06-2012, 09:27 AM
1. you can tank them in you own cap ship
2. you could fry the weapons off (if the ion weapons still do that, don't have XTC installed atm, but in vanilla you can do that)
3. you could spam missiles to keep the turrets occupied, there are no more swarm missiles in XTC but you could spam a lot of missiles that don't take too much time to relaunch

rook823
18-06-2012, 09:41 AM
so just need a quick shield-buster, then ions capable fighter, then the boarding ship?
cool

lich+ich
18-06-2012, 10:40 AM
From my experience what works best for me is a wing of 8 Barracuda Sentinels with Ion Pulse Generators and two Angels stuffed with Marines. If you send the fighters in first they will distract the turrets and bring the shields down simultaneously. Add a few Fighter Drones and you never have to worry about receiving too much damage. Just wait until the shields are down, dive into transporter range, beam your Marines over and get to a safe distance.
I have yet to try this on anything bigger than a M7, but the routine should be the same.

Two words of advice: After your marines are on board, don't cancel the "Attack Shields" command of your wing. If you do, the wing will attack your prescious target with everything they got once they are hit.
Secondly, dont install weapons on your TPs if you don't fly them yourself. They will try to kill your target as soon as they get hit when they have weapons installed, even if you didn't utter any turret commands. They can have weapons in their freight bay no problem, though.

Hope I could be of help :)

Lich

Nemoricus
18-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Another suggestion: Bring more marines than you need to completely fill a ship. So if you're boarding a corvette, bring ten marines, not just six. A frigate, thirty or more. This way, if some of your marines die, you can send more in, which increases your odds of being able to capture the ship. If you're trying to board a Xenon ship, you will need many, many marines, since if there's fewer than eighteen aboard when they start hacking, they're all killed instantly. (I don't know how many you need aboard a corvette to avoid that.)

Also, a Bioscanner is very useful to have around while you're buying marines, since it shows you the skills of the marine in stars. It's recommended to focus on marines with a high fighting skill, since that's the only skill that can't be trained except by doing boarding operations.

K.J.
18-06-2012, 03:20 PM
If you try boarding via space walking, each marine boards or fails to board independently, so they will all need a good skill level to get through.
No, they will split up into teams which are 2 to 3 marines each (which is a fault of the boarding script, it should be 5 iirc)
It will be adressed in 2.0 (only space walking)

hothvu
18-06-2012, 04:45 PM
hi all,
thanks for many good advices :)

As mentioned, I sent out marines from a cobra, a M7M ship.

Nemoricus' explanation sounds plausible, at least in my case: 5x marines were ejected. I'm going to train my marines more to see if this will still happen. They are at only ~60 now at all skills except for fighting skill: 100 now :lol:.

I know there are many methods (3 totally?) to capture an enemy ship: spacewalk requires playing-skills, using "boarding transporter ext" is likely a legal "cheat" :lol:, and using missiles frigate with boarding pods, which I'm practising now.

By now, the last method seems to be my only choice to capture capital ships. Don't wanna believe me? :rolleyes: just imagine you are in a hostile sector with 1M0, 2M1, 1M2, 3M7, 1M7M, 4 or 5M6/M6+ and 100+ barracudas :grin:. You will be no way able to reach close to the M1/M2 without flying across a thick wall of hundreds fighter, and a M7M with loads of cyclone barrages is the (only?) choice hier to help you take down likely most of the fighters. Then you just recognise that a M7M is closing: lets run away :cry:....

In my experience, paranid's capital ships are the most difficult to capture, destroying is far easier because they are armed with an affective anti-missiles system, which will hunt down 90% the missiles fired from my cobra. I still dont know exactly the recharging time of this system, and therefore only 2 results: less missiles - they'll laugh at me, too many - only scraps left

thedada86
18-06-2012, 04:56 PM
By now, the last method seems to be my only choice to capture capital ships. Don't wanna believe me? just imagine you are in a hostile sector with 1M0, 2M1, 1M2, 3M7, 1M7M, 4 or 5M6/M6+ and 100+ barracudas . You will be no way able to reach close to the M1/M2 without flying across a thick wall of hundreds fighter, and a M7M with loads of cyclone barrages is the (only?) choice hier to help you take down likely most of the fighters.

Next question would be, how do you retrieve your new, probably scratched, ship out of that hostile sector? ;)

hothvu
18-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Next question would be, how do you retrieve your new, probably scratched, ship out of that hostile sector? ;)

all M1/M2 ships come with built-in jumpdrive now (please confirm this!). All I had to do is just running as fast as possible towards it and transfer some energy cells :lol:

In vanilla I did always have a ship following me, which could hold a M3/M4. Both has jumpdrive installed, then I transfered 1 from the following ship to the captured one, the reserved jumpdrive from M3 to the following ship and let all jump out off the dangerous sector.

lich+ich
21-06-2012, 01:55 PM
all M1/M2 ships come with built-in jumpdrive now (please confirm this!)

confirmed! ;)