PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ship? And Why?

Erex
18-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Ok My favorite ship would have to be the Teladi Osprey I just think it looks awesome.

thetack
19-07-2012, 10:44 AM
dont have a favorite ship since X2 just use the one that does the job in hand the farstest, safest and most value for credits, i surpose i do favour Argon ships because usualy they are good all rounders well sheilded good cargo bays and easy to find wepons but i fly what i get cheap or claim and repair.
in X2 i loved my osprey a nice little tank and once you learned to roll and not turn in battle unbeatable except against destroyers, i am afraid no ship since then has captured my heart so if anyone can make my X2 osprey reapear in xtended they will have my thanks, i do miss those osprey / dragon arguments of X2 days :)

lich+ich
19-07-2012, 10:41 PM
In XTC it's the Angel, hands down.
The cheapest of the TP+ models. Maybe not as well armed as the others, but enough to take on everything smaller than a frigate.
If you are confident and trust your piloting skills, you can capture even a M7 with two of these beauties.
With their speed and decent cargo capacity, they shouldn't be underestimated at the beginning of a trader's career.

As the starting ship for the Boron, it is still my personal yacht even after my growing trading empire gave me the possibility to fly anything accessible with credits ;)

Solitas
20-07-2012, 02:47 AM
In X2, The Dragon without a doubt, fast, impressive firepower and the design.....absolutely gorgeous.
In XTM, I would say the Otas Reaper, I mean just look at it....
In XTC....The Kha`ak flagship(M2+) without a doubt......I always enjoy watching it(from a safe distance) lay waste to everything in its path:smitten:

Kayosetsu
27-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Im trying to think between the Kha'ak hive queen or the Xenon J. I'm not 100% sure how good is the Hive queen, but i love how it looks. And I love dealing alot of damage, and the Xenon J is good at doing just that! :lol:

MadMac
28-07-2012, 07:01 AM
In X3:TC, it would be the Split Tiger. Fast, agile, and packing a heck of punch with the IBLs...once you hacked the IBL stations in Pirate space. Easy to build at the PHQ. I had fleets of these bad boys.

Kayosetsu
29-07-2012, 08:10 AM
In X3:TC, it would be the Split Tiger. Fast, agile, and packing a heck of punch with the IBLs...once you hacked the IBL stations in Pirate space. Easy to build at the PHQ. I had fleets of these bad boys.

Since I love cheats, I had massive fleets of kha'ak dreadnoughts, destroyers, and hive queens and i just raided Split sectors (they annoy me :furious:)

D!S7RUG@7OR
31-07-2012, 12:19 AM
From X2 i always loved my hardly captured Kha'ak Fighter (did that with an Osprey, another of my favourite).. With that ship i've managed to capture and destroy countless pirate ships in sector Priest's Pity which paved my way to a Boron Ray.
In XTM (i didnt played X3-R without the Xtended mode) the Olympos was pretty interesting to fly with into a sector full of angry pirates or Xenons.. As for a smaller ship i couldnt find something better than a Thor mk III (heavily shielded for a fighter ship and killer aempc)..
X-TC is still far away for my pc to handle at least satisfactory in the game.

Cheers,
D!S7

Aragon Speed
04-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Any ship that has been finished and added to the mod ready for the next release. ^^

Kayosetsu
05-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Any ship that has been finished and added to the mod ready for the next release. ^^

You must've made some great new ships for the next update!

Mangar
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Any ship that keeps me alive, the reliable getting there and back again. With all the new ships it is like test driving the car dealer lots inventory. I thinks it hard to have one favorite ship. Maybe what is your favorite ship in each class might be more like it for me :). One can not take a SS charger and go Baja with it, or a Fiat and haul ply-wood. >:D
I love my Kestral covering ground, Perseaus as wing support, Tiger as partols in numbers, and Hyperion in numbers for bailing ships up to M7's.

I like them all, please dont make me choose, it sounds like you want to discontinue none favorite ones, :) which will not be the case, I hope :rofl:

Soldier96
27-08-2012, 12:43 PM
khaak m2 khaak m1 and all khaak small ships ^^
reason:deadly xD

porourke
30-08-2012, 11:14 PM
For me it is the springblossom i can hit hard and also get out of dodge in a hurry if needed

Crellion22
31-08-2012, 03:08 PM
X3-R: Hyperion overtuned and ready to kill everything, with an overtuned LX underneath the wing.

X3-TC: Springblossom was imba...

XTC beta: Tepukei with Notus and P2P Khaak M6 under the wing (thinking of trying a reaper and or heavy centaur there too)

X3-R and X3TC were both heavily favouring the faster ship in fighter and frigate class. The former gave it in the form of overtunings (game breaking tbh) and the latter in the form of the Springblossom. In fact Throughout X3-R I never strafed once, arrow keyes were more than adequate. I learned to strafe in X3-TC until I found the first Sprigny and then ti was irrelevant again. XTC seems A LOT better balanced combat wise... Mass npc missile spam being the exception - as missiles are not cost effective the player can't use them but has to sweat to avoid them... at least now you have ECM and chaff etc ;)

porourke
31-08-2012, 08:22 PM
When i want to get anywhere fast it has the speed but also it has shielding and weapons to deal with anything that may cause trouble that can catch me Also have found that i can outrun most missles

Neurotoxin
31-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Galleon.

Go bold or go home, me hearty. 8)

porourke
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah but I like to travel alone looking to see what I can kick around just don,t want some destroyer to ruin any fun

Trooper1994
01-09-2012, 03:48 PM
I got a few stand out favorites 1: Argon Titan, 2: Pirate Brigantine, 3: Pirate Galleon, yes i like them ships with firepower hence me owning a Vahalla in XTC one playthrough ah good times....

well back to the space battles.

Trooper.

porourke
01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
For a stanby response fleet ,usually I have seven (7) Osakas with 1 or 2 fully loaded argon Colusses brimming with Ecilpses to deal with enemy threats in TC have not gotten to that stage yet in AP

porourke
08-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Galleon.

Go bold or go home, me hearty. 8)
But it is better to get there ALIVE

Trooper1994
09-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Alive... Man no offense a good carrier pilot can kill a destoryer easy just fit weapons well and manuaver the thing at maxium weapon range like PPC in vanilla that has a 8km range... and fighters do screen carrier's or chew up a destoryer or 2 with about the colossus'es 60 fighter's, so yes alive. a carrier can out fight any destoryer if player used well the AI is dumb they attack in strate lines and don't avoid weapon fire. un-like players, so always account this.

Trooper.

Pirateing your ships a dozen at a time.

Neurotoxin
09-09-2012, 02:19 AM
But it is better to get there ALIVE

Therefore implying that a carrier is incapable of handling itself on the battlefield? Also, where is there? I have no issue circumnavigating the entire region with a light, flexible M1 platform.

Alive... Man no offense a good carrier pilot can kill a destoryer easy just fit weapons well and manuaver the thing at maxium weapon range like PPC in vanilla that has a 8km range... and fighters do screen carrier's or chew up a destoryer or 2 with about the colossus'es 60 fighter's, so yes alive. a carrier can out fight any destoryer if player used well the AI is dumb they attack in strate lines and don't avoid weapon fire. un-like players, so always account this.

Through that foggy lens of English :p I must concur. I would take a carrier over a destroyer any day of the week when it comes down to general strategic versatility (holy words, Batman). The only time I use a destroyer is for afk station trawling.

8)

porourke
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
When i go atrawlin for targets I kile to have a couple of carriers but I always seem to leave some fighters behind don,t know if they have no derrin-do or not but I like to bring everthin to the patry that,s why I deal mainly in M2s

Neurotoxin
09-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I always run Anarkis Defense System and its carrier scripts, which affords you a lot more freedom of control over your carrier wing(s). You can configure hotkeys to simplify launching and landing operations, and fighters can dock in proximity with the use of jumpdrive. No more leaving things behind. ;)

Trooper1994
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
I tried to run anarkis defense but I ended up crashing my game with it a lot.

Crellion22
10-09-2012, 01:18 PM
So all you guys with carriers arent you bothered by the cost of fighter replacements v the free use of energy weapons on an M2 to accomplish the same task? I mean (in theory) if you get 30 mill from a patrol but have lost 20 mil or 40 mill in M3+ fighters in the process...

Add the hassle of replacements etc and I really dont see the point...

I have used M1 successfully to load all the bailed fighters and + when all the capitals are down and I am left with a swarm of angry fighters (50 odd) chasing my Tepukei (or Ray) around I may call the Raptor in with Beta flaks all around to help with the clean up.... but thats about it...

porourke
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I always run Anarkis Defense System and its carrier scripts, which affords you a lot more freedom of control over your carrier wing(s). You can configure hotkeys to simplify launching and landing operations, and fighters can dock in proximity with the use of jumpdrive. No more leaving things behind. ;)

I am running my game on Apple system does this Anarkis Defense System operate on same or is it for Windows only Found that playing on windows is slow when I am on a roll

porourke
10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree, usually have my carriers patrol areas where I have my factory hubs and I don,t seem to have any problems with enemies killing expensive assets

Trooper1994
10-09-2012, 04:58 PM
In XTC in 30 minutes my olympos made 30 ships bail corvettes and fighters of all kinds i think that day i fitted my phoenix with all its fighters. so just set bail high in XTC when u want to fit your carriers ;).

porourke
11-09-2012, 05:02 AM
In XTC in 30 minutes my olympos made 30 ships bail corvettes and fighters of all kinds i think that day i fitted my phoenix with all its fighters. so just set bail high in XTC when u want to fit your carriers ;).

What the hell is an olympos have not seen that one yet

Crellion22
11-09-2012, 06:02 AM

Does this mean you agree that palying normally carriers make no sense money wise? Or am I misunderstanding?

Neurotoxin
11-09-2012, 12:29 PM
So all you guys with carriers arent you bothered by the cost of fighter replacements v the free use of energy weapons on an M2 to accomplish the same task? I mean (in theory) if you get 30 mill from a patrol but have lost 20 mil or 40 mill in M3+ fighters in the process...

Add the hassle of replacements etc and I really dont see the point...

A non-issue entirely. A good carrier captain picks his targets and deploys strategically, reducing losses to only a few fighters out of a complement of 20-40. A better one still loses none, and my Galleon has not suffered a single lost fighter in many game weeks. Loss is only due to command negligence.

Does this mean you agree that palying normally carriers make no sense money wise? Or am I misunderstanding?

Any carrier will be profitable if you fly it like it's a strategic asset rather than an up-close fleet brawler. By the time you have a few billion credits, you start forgetting about any costs you may incur (which are, naturally, higher for carriers).

Aragon Speed
11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
What the hell is an olympos have not seen that one yet

A Paranid Ship.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=oly2yu1c.jpg

*Image by Urizen* Thanks.

Solitas
11-09-2012, 02:50 PM
A Paranid Ship. Not just a Paranid ship, but a work of ART:grin:

porourke
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Not just a Paranid ship, but a work of ART:grin:

Must try this one ,i have never really played with Paranid ships before

porourke
11-09-2012, 06:14 PM
A non-issue entirely. A good carrier captain picks his targets and deploys strategically, reducing losses to only a few fighters out of a complement of 20-40. A better one still loses none, and my Galleon has not suffered a single lost fighter in many game weeks. Loss is only due to command negligence.

Any carrier will be profitable if you fly it like it's a strategic asset rather than an up-close fleet brawler. By the time you have a few billion credits, you start forgetting about any costs you may incur (which are, naturally, higher for carriers).

I only use carriers to patrol my industrial areas backed up with missile ships M2s are for making trouble with everyone else usually go with at least 3 of them

Crellion22
12-09-2012, 07:08 AM

Thank you for the update... I am at 1.7 bill now in my 1.2r game so perhaps I shoudl try to master this ...art. Do you have the M7 or M2 player ship grab all aggro and then send the M3 wing in to attack the attackers while they are busy? Any other tips? PM if you think As might chastice us for off topic transgression.

On topic: I like the behavior of the Heavy Nemesis with the (spellcheck) Proton Burst gun. Anyone used it extensively?

Neurotoxin
12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
It's been over a year since I flew a carrier (or really even did anything in X), but I recall taking aggro with the carrier herself before letting the full complement go at it. Galleon is sleek and evasive enough to dodge enemy capital fire until the last minute and brutish enough to wipe out midsize threats at a generous range. For anything too small to whack with capital turrets, just make it angry and let the fighters do the work. If it's too large, you'll want to use the Galleon's speed to keep at a range while directing IBL (and sometimes CIG) fire. Your fighters can handle themselves in packs and will make short work of anything if you lead them strictly.

One of my guides is focused on the carrier lifestyle, though I haven't too much to say about combat directly. It's all down to your playstyle in the end.

Trooper1994
14-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Do your run the mod XTC ? (XTC=Xtended Terran Conlict) if so the olympos is the paranid battlecruiser that in a playthrough i happend to own one.

EDIT: this is a responce to porkue's question of what a Olympos is.

Aragon Speed
15-09-2012, 07:11 AM
*Split last post to new topic here: http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22935-How-do-you-set-up-XTC-for-steam. AS.*