PDA

View Full Version : Ships Not enamoured with the ship balancing

Craftomega
17-11-2012, 06:48 AM
As the title states Iím not a big fan of the ship balances made. It really seems to take out a lot of choice, other than astatic, from what ships to go with.

EX: Split Dragon, It was originally supposed to be the fast but weak corvette, in fact thatís how all split ships are the fast but low shielding. Now they are simply faster than average with basicly the same stats as the the boron ships.

There are many examples I could make. The point is, it now feels like there are 2 races to pick ships from, which are races in the commonwealth, the split or the Teladi. Because if you want a slow tank you go with Teladi if you want anything else they all have virtually the same stats and split ships are the fastest.

I know this feels like a short rant, and I know that 2.0 is supposed to be coming out soon, but to be honest the ship balancing has kinda ruined this mod for me.

borgrel
18-11-2012, 01:26 PM
the ship balancing wasnt broken by xtended
terran conflict broke the ship stats ..... the new split M7 is almost the slowest M7 out there as an eg.
almost none of the split ships in TC have the higher laser energy they are supposed to
etc. etc. etc.

Eliah
18-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Well, it is a fair criticism though. All the ship stats were redone in the mod anyway; I don't think any unchanged stat was left from TC on any shipclass. So if Craftomega finds the result to be unenjoyable, that's a perfectly valid subjective assessment.
I don't know how much KJ is reworking the stats at the moment - I think he did post some info on 2.0 changes in the recent newsposts (probably someone can link that).

King of the World
18-11-2012, 11:23 PM
That's the link (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22595-XTC-news-24th-December-2011?highlight=2.0+pre-release) to the post from AS. I think this is the right one, cause the translation into german (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22597-XTC-2-0-Weihnachts-Neuigkeiten) seems equal.

Nemoricus
19-11-2012, 07:12 AM
This (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/22595-XTC-news-24th-December-2011?p=212863&viewfull=1#post212863) is a more comprehensive and up to date list of changes with regards to balancing.

King of the World
19-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah, you're right. That was it what I wanted to search for.

insolent1
20-11-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't think the XTC mod can be blamed for lack of balance when it comes to ships. The real problem is the amount of ships in each class and the limitations that each class imposes on the ships in the class.
They are kinda limitied to a few numbers which they can change.
I think it is actually better in XTC as I find i'm more willing to stick to just a single race ships for some games, this was something I could never do in x3tc.

ludicer
24-11-2012, 11:05 AM
You may be right.. At least you have every right to be dissatisfied.
But, if ships of the same class showed wider variety, class balance would be disturbed. There would be some ships standing out and everyone would choose them. some interceptors would be able to take out heavy fighters easily, in the hands of the "player" etc. What I understand from the statements made so far is that the team heavily emphasises on class balance. Thats why I believe keeping a stricter formula within the same class of ships actually creates variety.

It actually sounds inbalanced to me when a spesific m6 is powerful enough to take out every other m6 in the universe and has both the advantages of the m6 and m7 or m5... But now they're all equally powerful with slight differences. And TBH I love those slight differences, each ship still handles differently. A slight difference of speed, balanced with a slight difference of laser energy and shield regenerator, often forces you to use different tactics... And actually the weapon balance adds alot to this. Check-out the race-spesific weapons, they really do matter now :)

At least that's what I think:).