PDA

View Full Version : Boarding Transporter Extension in 2.0 still working?

Exedar
25-12-2012, 05:48 PM
I just wanted to try out some boarding so I got myself a Transporter plus the Boarding Extension and my Reaper M6. Shot the shields down on some other M6 and tried to board them but whatever I do my marines still go for a spacewalk and try to cut through the hull (if they eventualy make it to the target). It happens with both the commands to either board a ship via the piracy option or with the "Launch all marines" command. So I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar that the boarding via the transporter might not be working in 2.0? Or am I missing something crucial here to make this work since I really liked that addition and I would love to do some boarding to train my marines early on on some M6 but if they have to spacewalk in a fight thats kinda pointless since they get killed all the time while in space.

Best regards
Exedar

Edit by KJ: Hotfix available here (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/23090-Boarding-Transporter-Extension-in-2-0-still-working?p=215698&viewfull=1#post215698)

2Blackhawk
25-12-2012, 06:15 PM
boarding transporter should work with both commands. Dsitance to target shouldbe under 2 km.

Exedar
25-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Hmmm, strange. I was allways about 400-500 m away from the targets and also kept their shields below 5%. Also I have no other scripts installed and it was a clean install of X3TC so I really have no clue what I'm doing wrong :( Do I need to have anything else besides the Transporter, the Boarding Extension, Fight Software Mk2 (obv. for the command) and Marines on a suitable ship (in my case my Reaper M6)?

insolent1
26-12-2012, 01:24 AM
You appear to have everything so maybe try another ship, one thing to try is put the shields down to 0

Vhyle
26-12-2012, 02:24 AM
You need to have Boarding transporter extension in addition to the regular transporter extension. So you are missing just 1 of the extentions needed. I tried it that way with just the transporter and it never worked. Someone on the board, I think it was Neuro or KJ or Nova told me to get the boarding transporter extension and boom it worked. So keep a look out for that extention. I'm not sure who sells it, but I think I remember seeing it at a Military Outpost in Argon space, so I think the racial MO's will sell them.

Drock
26-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Not working for me either. I have 2 mods installed so not sure if there is a bad interaction(marine repairs, and salvage command software).

I have both the transporter extension, and the boarding transporter extension. Ive tried on both a m6 and a TP. The command to "board ship" under piracy menu boards the old school style space walk. The SHIP command of "laucnh all marines" does not seem to work at all making me think one of the 2 mods i have broke it somehow.. dunno. Thanks for any help on the issue.

PS, i removed the shields all together on the target to keep them at 0 for testing this.

Vhyle
26-12-2012, 08:48 AM
You know what, I bet there is a command for the Boarding Transporter Extention. Check your controls and see if there is anything like that in there. I havn't checked yet myself, wanted to post first to see if you find it before me. Gonna play for a few more hours, I'd like to know myself if it'll work because I make most of my money from boarding that way. If it doesn't work, I'll do it with an M7M with boarding pods.

2Blackhawk
26-12-2012, 08:55 AM
@K.J. (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=7047) please have a look
@Drock (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=12659) adding additional scripts at such an early stage of a mod is a bad idea. It makes it unneccessary difficult for the developers to distinguish between real bugs and compatibility problems. Not sure what your SCS does but there is one included in XTC too.

I know for sure that boarding via transporter was tested in the Beta phase. Because of problems it was changed slightly (distance from 700m to 2 Km, transport to ship surface instead of inner of the ship).

Exedar
26-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Okay, today I tried to board with my Khaak Vanguard M6 (since I don't have any other ships capable of boarding right now) and it seemed to work this time. Even though the marines appeared in space for a short moment I think the boarding transporter worked since I was again about 500 m away from my target so I guess thats just part of the slight change transporting them to the surface of the ship (I actualy like that change, doesnt make one of the marine-skills obsolete).
Still no luck with my reaper though, they stilll do the damn spacewalk there. One time though it seemed to work since I was quite a bit away from the target and the marines were at it rather fast but then an explosion on the target happened and the marines just jumped off of it even though they didn't even start cutting the hull. The other M6 survived that explosion unscathed so I dont think it was a rocket (was only me and some pirates in the sector anyway and I barely ever carry any rockets on M6) so yeah, dont know what thats about but at least I can board with my Vanguard now, even if it is a pain with only 1 shield.

Best Regards
Exedar

2Blackhawk
26-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Please keep on posting your experiences. It would be great if you could write the first guide on boarding for XTC :)

Drock
26-12-2012, 02:48 PM
@K.J. (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=7047) please have a look
@Drock (http://www.thexuniverse.com/member.php?u=12659) adding additional scripts at such an early stage of a mod is a bad idea. It makes it unneccessary difficult for the developers to distinguish between real bugs and compatibility problems. Not sure what your SCS does but there is one included in XTC too.

I know for sure that boarding via transporter was tested in the Beta phase. Because of problems it was changed slightly (distance from 700m to 2 Km, transport to ship surface instead of inner of the ship).

That could explain alot. I may have assumed they did the space walk cause i believes they still did it the old way. If they need to go through the hull now even with boarding then it may be working as intended and ill test it again.

Exedar
27-12-2012, 02:19 AM
I did some more testing with my Reaper since I really wanted to work with that ship but to no avail. Every time I try to board with it kind of works but on the other hand it doesn't. That means that the marines get transported to the enemy ship but dont start the boarding. I said in an earlier post that I heard/saw explosions very short after the marines were transported and now I figured out that that are some of the marines who blow up just when they should "attach" to the enemy ship to start cutting the hull. I have not the slightest clue how and why that happens (I didn't fire at the ship at that time). After some of the marines (normaly 1-3 of them) blow up the rest are just floating in space and the boarding-music gets played over and over again but nothing else happens, no voice comms and no boarding (obviously, since the marines are not at the ship but floating around uselessly).

Vhyle
28-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Interesting Exedar. Wonder if that is just a problem with the Otas ships, or if it's a problem with all ships.

I've not been able to get to the point of boarding ships yet. I'm pretty slow at doing stuff like this, or even getting to the point of doing it. Keep up the work though, you are provided great feedback for the mod devs.

Godlike
28-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I have one question, is that extensions already inside XTC or this is version from Cycrow?

2Blackhawk
28-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Boarding transporter is in XTC

Exedar
29-12-2012, 01:21 AM
And its me again.
Since I was so lucky to find an abandoned and slavagable Kraken today I could afford to buy an Angel now and tried the boarding-stuff with that one. On the first two targets where I tried it it worked like a charm, the first target was a TM Boa and the other one was an M7M Cobra. I could capture the Boa sucessfully and for the Cobra my marines didn't have sufficient skills to get through the hull put that was for testing-purposes only anyway, the boarding transporter worked perfectly. So far so good. The problems started again with my third attempt, wich was on an M6 Dragon. And once again some of the marines just blew up and the survivers just floated uselessly in space while the boarding-music was playing in a loop over and over again. So this leads me to think that there is not a problem with my Reaper but rather with trying to board ships of the M6-class in general since I never tried to board an M7 with my Reaper (due to insufficient marine-skills) and wasn't lucky enough to find a TM before.
But that leaves me wondering if nobody else has those problems, since I cant imagine I am the only one who wants to board M6-class ships? Maybe I will try to uninstall and reinstall the whole game+xtc in the next week but that will take forever since I only got the steam-version so cant/don't want to try that right now :(

Best Regards
Exedar

gorkomatic
29-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Same problems here. And I think it's the target ships shape/speed/direction, rather than the ship you're boarding from. For example, i had no problems boarding a Shamshir, some problems boarding Katanas (few reloads to get marines on the hull without most of them dying), a WHOLE LOT of problems boarding Chokaros (8 times out of ten all of my marines would smash against the side of the Chokaro) and boarding Sennins is basically impossible (either all marines will go splat, or most will die and the rest will float in space).

All of those boarding actions were done from an Angel, using transporter device + cargo transporter extension + boarding transporter extension.

Vhyle
29-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I may have a possible answer: boarding target.

M6's do not need to be boarded to get captured, there just isn't enough space for the marines. Granted, they can have 10, but they can be captured just using salvage claim software and do not require marine boarding. M7's on up do require marine boarding. The reason the TM was able to get boarded was because they have room for the marines. Also, not all M6's have room for marines, which usually results in a failure.

I'm not going to generalize and say this is the issue, but it could be. You may want to look into seeing if those ships where you are failing a lot on have room to support marines, and if they do in fact have space to support them, looking into what else could be causing the failure rates.

I have shunned the pirate life, and only plan to do boarding actions against pirates. I'm still pretty far from being able to do any of that as it is.

Exedar
29-12-2012, 09:11 PM
As far as I am aware every M6 can hold marines and also the boarding is a much better way to try to get an M6 then to try to make the pilot bail. With some marines with 3 stars in fighting basicaly any M6 is a safe capture whereas getting them to baill depends on your bailing-settings (set it to about 4% so rather low for me) and is also not they way I would like to do it.

Seems gorkomatic has done a lot of testing and it also sounds plausible that on faster targets the transporter bugs or/is to slow to attach the marines directly to the hull since they generaly take a splitsecond to do that even if the target is standing still (tried that with a Dragon, wich was for some reason not moving at all). Still it would be very nice if that would get fixed because it kinda defeats the purpose of the boarding transporter because for bigger and slower targets you can allways use an M7M or just do it the spacewalk-style.

Best Regards
Exedar

Drock
29-12-2012, 09:20 PM
After more testing i see my problem is the same as the others. I didn't know originally that you now have to go through the hull again unlike 1.2(i like this idea actually, makes all the skills useful again), but any m6+ moving at a decent speed or turning seems to blow up the marines. I tried 3 boarding attempts on a dragon with almost no damage, and i lost 1 marine out or 5, then 3 the next try, then 3rd try all 5 died in space the second i transported them(you see there explosions and everything). I then took the dragon to half health on my 4th try, making it move much slower and the boarding attempt that time worked perfectly.

Colonel Briggens
29-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I just tried to board another ship with my M7 Deimos and the darn thing just would not use the transporter boarding extension. It can carry 20 marines but its completely useless since the option to board does not appear in the command interface (all necessary software: transporter device, cargo transporter extension, boarding transporter extension, and pretty much all software extensions & salvage claim software are installed). Is this intended behavior or a bug?

As a side note the AI is completely useless in a boarding situation since it just flies around and around and around and around the ship it is supposed to board (even when the enemy's shields are gone) and eventually get shot down by the enemy (tried it with TP class and all the previous software and transporting extensions). Honestly boarding just pissed me off so much that I doubt it is even remotely useful in its current form.

Exedar
29-12-2012, 11:10 PM
The thing with the M7 not able to board is not a bug and totally intended since M7 couldn't board in vanilla and also can't board in 1.0 through 1.2 XTC. The only ships that can board are M6, TPs or M7M (Missile Frigates) with boarding pods.

The AI being totally useless for boarding is sadly true and there is not much that you can change about it. The boarding transporter makes it a bit easier but its still a pain. I guess that might be hardcoded or something since I guess the XTC team would have improved it if it was possible.

Best Regards
Exedar

2Blackhawk
29-12-2012, 11:14 PM
The boarding transporter works fine for M6, TP and TP+. M7M only the boarding pods work.

No Bug and intended.

Exedar
29-12-2012, 11:25 PM
The boarding transporter works fine for M6, TP and TP+. M7M only the boarding pods work.

Well that depends on the point of view. A transporter shouldnt send the marines to their almost asured death just because the target is a bit to fast. That makes the transporter in my opinion almost obsolet since for bigger targets you are better off with an M7M and pods anyway. In its current form it is only really usable to board M7 or bigger and that just takes another use away from the M6, wich are not that usefull in the first place in my opinion since there are better ships for almost any other task.

Edit: After trying 18 times now (yes, I counted them) to board a Heavy Centaur I give up now. I even brought it down to about 70 m/s with about 50% hull, at wich point it is not even worth boarding anymore, and still most of my marines blow up. I had so much fun with that transporter in 1.2 but this is just purely frustrating and if thats working as intended then that kinda breaks XTC for me.

just my 2 cents

Colonel Briggens
29-12-2012, 11:37 PM
So what is the reasoning behind excluding the use of the boarding transport extension for the M7 class? As a piece of equipment it should be compatible with all ships that can carry marines and use a transporter device. The only reasoning I could see would be for some weird case of game balancing to not overpower M7. Also why the thing does not work on M7M if it can be installed seems counter intuitive.

K.J.
30-12-2012, 07:20 AM
So what is the reasoning behind excluding the use of the boarding transport extension for the M7 class?
They don't have the piracy commands available, so we kept it that way. Besides that it makes M6 and TP at least somewhat attractive. Might not suit everyone, i know, but we wanted to use normal mechanics without requiring yet another hotkey. Boarding ships requires special hardware.
The boarding transporter works as follows - first marines are ejected normally like with space walk, then they are 'magically' teleported to the position of the target and should then connect and enter via normal procedures. I don't know why they sometimes go splat or just sit idle. We'll investigate.

Colonel Briggens
30-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I have now tried to use an M7M for boarding pod boarding operations as well and after several failed attempts decided to give up on boarding. It's a pain in the ass and having enemies bail is more likely than a boarding operation succeeding anyway.

MadMac
30-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I know this is just asking the obvious but don't you still have to keep the shields down even with boarding pods or boarding transporter?

Spikebhaal
30-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Yeah every boarding needs to have shields down if its spacewalk, transporter or boarding pods doesnt matter.

Meredy
30-12-2012, 10:45 PM
So hello
Ive made some testing today with the T0(you know the biiiig transporters :D), and experienced some problems bording them:
I used an angel with full upgrades (transporters etc) and no other mods installed.

When I used the Piracy command, the ship flew near the T0 and threw the Marines aboard, some of them just stood stil (0 m/s) and some started to move near the T0, but didnt "attach" to them, but got teleported away and they started to fly again toward their target.
When I used the Command Console the Marines silmply got teleported to the T0 and tried to enter it, but only 5 of them, even when I sent another 10 marines, 5 flew arround in space and the other 5 attached.

The T0 had allways a speed of 0 m/s
I think theres a little bug there :D

Drock
08-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Ya i dunno it seems really buggy. I believe there just dyeing from collision when you transport them over. Is there any way to make them immune to collisions for the first couple seconds after they are released, similar to safe docking scripts, or would this prevent them from boarding? Either way one of the parts of the game i like the most is unusable right now. Just put in about 10 attempts on a Katana m6, and the best i got was 4 out of 10 aboard(and yes i know the max that would board a m6 is 6).

K.J.
09-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Try this hotfix and report back if that solves your problems. To install it, extract both files in the archive into your "scripts" folder that you can find in your X3:TC installation where you installed XTC as well.

Drock
09-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Try this hotfix and report back if that solves your problems. To install it, extract both files in the archive into your "scripts" folder that you can find in your X3:TC installation where you installed XTC as well.

So far its working perfectly. I still had the save from before my katana boarding attempt. 3 tries, each time all 10 are hall cutting, then 6 get on board with 4 in space(basically the way its supposed to work). Not sure if this has any impact with astronauts or space suits otherwise in game, but makes boarding work great.

Schutzengel
15-01-2013, 03:34 AM
:( I've been having the same thing happen with my marines as well. My marines all jump out of my ship, pause for a second then immediately get teleported/exploded onto the hull of my target. Sometimes just like the OP stated a few survive and I get infinite spacewalk music.
This worried me greatly since I exclusively fly M6 class ships as a (future) fleet Commander/Privateer... Even more so when you consider the only viable target for an M6 to board (by myself) is another M6 or TM, since 5 marines won't cut it against an M7 or higher.
Also I should mention my play style is that of a salvage/fighter play-through, I don't really do trading anymore. Just the odd UT and eventual complexes.

I'm going to try this Hot-fix, hope fully it works :) I'll report back if it does.

P.S. If it works, might I suggest a Sticky Thread with links to hot fixes like this and the one for Luickes script package? They seem to be common questions.

Char
15-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Boarding was real fun (and not to easy) back in the first X3Reunion-xtended with its only boarding capable vessle, the OTAS capture frigate. Egosoft adapted the feature in fancy 3D (aka spacewalk and hullcutting) with their own complicated system and since then all people have somuch trouble with it they usualy give it up eventualy. I started trying and im just fustrated about it. No fun - more even im mad cause i wasted somuch time and efford getting Marines up etc. What a messup.

draeath
15-01-2013, 07:30 PM
(nevermind, i'm an idiot!)

Cheers for the hotfix!

Meredy
15-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Tried the hotfix and they still try a spacewalk, did I do something wrong?

K.J.
15-01-2013, 08:23 PM
You need to be within 2Km of the target, and you need that B-transporter + a normal transporter software

draeath
15-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Gotta have their shields down too, don't you? Or does that not apply to transporters?

K.J.
15-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Gotta have their shields down too, don't you?
Of course... i thought that would be logical?

draeath
15-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Why? I mean, it makes sense to me, but only because I'm hardly a stranger to the idea of sci-fi transporters. Without that context, you might not necessarily make that connection.

Especially if you think too hard about it - it's a relatively (compared to weapons) low energy stream, and light crosses the shields, so why not transporter energy?

Meredy
15-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Coz the shield is designed to deflect energie ;)

K.J.
15-01-2013, 10:18 PM
your marines have to cut through the hull, like with space walk... So like with spacewalk, you have to keep the shields down, otherwise *brzzzzzt* -> fried marines.

Crellion22
16-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Of course... i thought that would be logical?

Logical? Yes and no. Because 1.2 bte used to send them directly inside the shields only had to be lowered "momentarily", whereas in 2.0 you have to keep them down until they have cut the hull open.

Yes and no because yes its more logical the way it works now and no because it is also logical for people to start with the assumption that most things will work in the same way in 2.0 as they did in 1.2

code99
16-01-2013, 11:48 AM
One thing i dont get about boarding transporter extension ... I know this is how it has been so far but one would assume since your "transporting" stuff around, you could bypass the whole hull cutting phase. Drop its shields or lower them to about 5% and then transport the marines directly on board of the ship. You already do this with cargo between ships ... why not marines? The hull cutting phase is what prevents me from actual boarding stuff ... Its tedious and often doesnt work ... just too big of a headache, this is why if i want to board I use cycrow's cheats to force boarding on-board ships, works pretty much as I want, transports your marines to the target ships (and just to make it "fair" i drop the shields of the ship anyway, even tho using the cheat you dont need that)

K.J.
16-01-2013, 03:48 PM
You already do this with cargo between ships ... why not marines? The hull cutting phase is what prevents me from actual boarding stuff ... Its tedious and often doesnt work ... just too big of a headache
The old transporter version worked like that. It was changed as it was way too easy: lower shields, beam, and the ship was yours unless your marines where utterly incompetent. In which case you could have just beamed more marines onto the ship without problem. And you didn't need to train them in mechanic skill, as it was rendered obsolete.
Seriously, controlling the enemy shields to be below 10% for half a minute, is that such a huge task? Even AI fighters can do that for you with the command.

It's still less challenging then to board via boarding pods or normal spacewalk.

draeath
16-01-2013, 03:58 PM
How do you keep the shields down without hitting your own troops? Do they fry the instant the shields come back up, or can you safely wait for them to start coming on line and knock them right back off?

K.J.
16-01-2013, 04:29 PM
they will die if shields are above 10% iirc. Check out the official egosoft forum for more information, there should be boarding guides for TC. Perhaps it's also mentioned in the games manual.

KromaZone
30-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I have a Yokohama with marines on board and i have both the transport extensions but there is no command for the marines to board the target ship? i have salvage claim software which is under piracy but no other command is available for the marines to board the ship? is the Yokohama able to actually do this?

Loriel
30-01-2013, 01:56 PM
I have a Yokohama with marines on board and i have both the transport extensions but there is no command for the marines to board the target ship? i have salvage claim software which is under piracy but no other command is available for the marines to board the ship? is the Yokohama able to actually do this?
I believe the Yokohama is an M7, so the answer will be "No".

See earlier in this thread, around posts 21 to 23.

Loriel

insolent1
30-01-2013, 03:29 PM
The change is a good thing as it was way too good in v1.2, you didn't even need any mechanical skills so all you needed was hacking and maybe some engineering to stop the marines destroying the target.
I'm a pod user as this mod makes them so much better since it dosen't matter if they all die as I can just buy another 20 fully trained fools to do my dirty work or even better a ninja family like the Nedley's

http://i.imgur.com/UbKFkuq.jpg
:)

Vayde
24-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Good news and bad news. Spent a large portion of my day testing out the hot fix. Out of 10 boarding attempts only 1 succeed. All Boarding was done in a vanilla X-tended environment with no other scripts other than the hot fix. Target ship was a pirate marauder M6 with a bailed pilot, 4 large shields and 5 Frag bomb launchers left on board. 1st 5 tests used a remote ai Scabbard with 10 poor marines. Shield suppression via a Cutlass I was piloting. On each of the tests the Scabbard closed to under 500 meters before launching marines. On each launch all marines left the Scabbard however only 4 ever made it to the hull as the Scabbard continued on its course and collected a few before it was able to evade. on 3 of the attempts the Scabbard smashed into the Marauder destroying it or both ships. On the only successful attempt the marines cut through but died before reaching the core.

On the next 5 attempts I jumped between ships, via teleporter, several times, to make sure the ai did not screw up. 4 of the runs resulted in the Scabbard, with me on board, again closing to within 500 meters before ejecting the marines. All 10 seemed to be on top of the Marauder in an instant as I cancelled autopilot and steered away. So it looks like the teleporting marines get really close. I jumped back into the Cutlass to keep the shields down until they were through the hull. On each of those attempts I had 6 marines in the Marauder but again due to them being rookies they failed to get to the core. On the 10th attempt everything went well and 4 marines made it to the core and claimed the ship.

So hot fix works partially, by getting the marines on to the target, however as the ship tries to close to within 500 meters before it does this, the ods of the ship surviving the incoming fire and the high probability of a collision, make it less than perfect.

Hope this info helps.

K.J.
28-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Out of 10 boarding attempts only 1 succeed.
boarding AI screwups is not the really fault of the boardingtransporter. And marines failing at their task is certainly not fault of the boarding transporter software / it's not relevant in this case. If they made it onto the targets hull it's a boarding transporter success. Did you try the "eject all marines" command in additional commands? It ejects them immediately without using the stupid autopilot.

Vayde
28-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi K.J. thanks for your comments. My main concern with the script is not the launching of the marines but the proximity of the launching vessel. In all of my attempts the scabbard closed to under 500 meters before launching, however the information I have states it was changed to 2k, From my tests this is clearly not happening.

Vayde
03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
After a few more tests with different launching platforms, M6 and several TP's, I can confirm that the hot fix still requires the player to be within 500 meters. Using the piracy menu launch option is taking your life in your own hands with multiple avoids on ships, and many collisions. The best way to tackle the issue is to use the launch all marines command. Your ship remains under your control while doing this and the teleport option works every time, safely delivering your marines to target. It needs a bit of care when attacking M6 ships as launching 10 marines against a ship that can only hold 6 means you will have 4 floating in space getting shot up.

Do the hot fix scripts have the distance to target check in them, or is this hard coded into the game?

K.J.
03-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Do the hot fix scripts have the distance to target check in them, or is this hard coded into the game?
I repeat: the vanilla boarding command autopilot has nothing to do with the boarding transporter. The autopilot will eject at 500m. Use "Launch all marines" from additional commands instead if that is a problem for you, it launches them instantly (and teleports if within range).

Vayde
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Hi K.J. thanks again for replying. Could I just ask you to read my last post again for the sake of clarity, especially the bit that states

The best way to tackle the issue is to use the launch all marines command. Your ship remains under your control while doing this and the teleport option works every time, safely delivering your marines to target. It needs a bit of care when attacking M6 ships as launching 10 marines against a ship that can only hold 6 means you will have 4 floating in space getting shot up.

This will probably save you from having to repeat yourself again.

Oshiguru
15-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I have tried to board a Goner Ozias (TL) by teleporting. I have all extentions installed including Bioscanner. The ship I used is a Osprey. The marines keep space walking.

I tried again on a Boron Hydra, same problem. Still space walking. I was using the hot fix as well.

I also tried it with a Toucan. Did not work neither.

16-03-2013, 02:54 AM
The change is a good thing as it was way too good in v1.2, you didn't even need any mechanical skills so all you needed was hacking and maybe some engineering to stop the marines destroying the target.
I'm a pod user as this mod makes them so much better since it dosen't matter if they all die as I can just buy another 20 fully trained fools to do my dirty work or even better a ninja family like the Nedley's

So how dose one get fully trained marines? Dose marine training need to be enabled and set to 100% or something?

Dazzard
16-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Marines are slowly trained up at stations that sell them, even if you set it to 100% it will take a fair amount of time to get them fully trained.

It does need enabling but you can't expect it to take immediate effect! The percentage refers to how fast they will be trained.

K.J.
16-03-2013, 12:21 PM
if marines are too well trained they dissappear from the merc station. So no, you can't buy em in droves. It's not necessary to have all-5-star marines to board ships successfully.

ManofHonor
31-03-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm having no luck... With and without the hotfix. I try to use a Osprey with marines, I have the Boarding Extension and Transporter installed, but I always get a command rejected. My target is a stationary bailed Dolphin. Shields shot down of course.

I try using Piracy -> Board ship, targeting the Dolphin, and Additional Ship Commands, Launch All Marines. From in the Osprey and from another ship it always rejects the command. Distance from the target is less than one kilometer.

Loriel
31-03-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm having no luck... With and without the hotfix. I try to use a Osprey with marines, I have the Boarding Extension and Transporter installed, but I always get a command rejected. My target is a stationary bailed Dolphin. Shields shot down of course.
Personally I've not used boarding recently (not in XTC 2.0), so take my comments with suitably large pinch of salt.

I think boarding needs the target ship to be hostile, and bailed ships usually aren't hostile (though I have seen occasional exceptions).

It may not be possible to board a TS.

One (or both) of these is probably causing the "command rejected" problem.

Two other possibilities that may be worth trying (when you find a valid target):
Use boarding pods from an M7M (allows up to 20 marines to be launched, possibly more if the OTAS M7M is still a boarding M7M rather than a Missile M7M)
Use a TP (or better a TP+) which will probably allow you to launch more marines than an M6 - though with less combat ability you may find drones useful to keep targets shields down.

Loriel

ManofHonor
31-03-2013, 03:02 AM
I tried on a station as well, doing the same thing, but I couldn't even target it, with the Board Ship and Launch Marines options only ships would show up in the sector list for targeting.

I don't have the money for an M7 yet, I'm trying to rest control of a sector from the Boron, and capping all of the M6s they send my way, as well as the TSs I happen across would make it much easier.

Edit:

Well, it seems that it sometimes works against an M6 while I am in the boarding ship. Not sure if it is rejecting due to shields when I'm not, since it takes so long to command another ship to do it that it regenerates too much of it's shields.. And either way I'm sitting there like a damn duck the entire command process.

Is there any way to get to the additional commands faster? I keep getting shot to ribbons while I'm trying to get through the menu, not to mention drifting out of range unless autopilot is set to follow, and not being able to keep the shields 100% down.

Dazzard
04-04-2013, 08:19 PM
A Dolphin is a TS class ship, these are not boardable. Stations cannot be boarded either.

M6, M7, M7M, M7DC, M2, M2+, M1, TL and TM I know can be boarded. TP+ and TS+ I'm not sure about but all fighters (M5, M4, M3) small transports (TS, TP) and stations cannot be boarded

Edit 2: I think that M8s are not boardable, but I'm not certain about these :? -they are not boardable - K.J.