PDA

View Full Version : New AI crate pick-up behavior?

dctrjons
26-12-2012, 09:54 PM
It's been a while. But is this new?
I assume crates die still after ? 5 min or something, I kind of thought I remember something different about how crates are handled back in 1.2 but for the life of me I have forgotten how it works. But now it seems that patrols pick them up. Lol I was cruising for a crate and was about 1km away, I zoomed in for an accurate full speed run and *fwoom* an M4 from what looked like a patrol squadron ran it over.

But it doesn't look like they actively seek them out per-say. Is it patrols only? I assume it's craft dependent...IE won't see an M4 trying to grab a large shield crate. Or are they destroying them? I was wondering what was going on since I would see a pair of crates on the radar then one would disappear well before the other(s) and I assumed there just might be random timers...but it appears the AI is getting greedy. :)

Just wondering if the logic can be shared (theirs I mean), who what where and when? And is it 100% and do crates have a distinct self destruct time?

P.S. On a related note, I'm loving the random battles. I was impressed to get caught in a Kha'ak assault to find I wasn't the default target the entire time. And those pirates that keep jumping into a sector, apparently taking a peek and then jumping right back out.

insolent1
27-12-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't think its new behaviour as i'm pretty sure I seen it in v1.2 the larger ships also use freight drones to pick up crates. The crates last longer than 5mins, it seems around the same as the normal game but might be influenced whether you are in sector or out of sector.

zazie
28-12-2012, 06:41 AM
That AI-behavior at picking up crates is part of the original X3TC, imo. I have posted long time ago such an observation in the egosoft-forums in my first game of X3TC. An AI-fighter was stealing away a crate right in front of my nose - and it was a valuable one. But I have to admit: I have rarely seen such an AI-behavior since again.
Little bit off-topic: in early X3TC games I have seen several times how the AI destroyed crates with illegal wares as Space Fuel. I believe that this was eliminated in later patches as I have never seen in in the past two years.

Herocrafter
28-12-2012, 06:45 AM
So far i've only seen the Military ships pick up Mil. shields. That though I've seen often.