PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions for profitable stations?

Rockstarz
29-12-2012, 06:35 AM
I've got a Wheat Farm XL in Sirus II that's doing well for itself. Any suggestions for some other options?

MadMac
29-12-2012, 06:48 AM
I dropped a Wheat Farm XL in Miner's Asperations with a Mercury to buy E-Cells and Mercury SF to sell wheat.
It's making mad cash.
If you can figure out how to read the "Sector Analysis" in the Statics Centre, it'll tell you what factory would profit most in the sector.
There's a sector up north in Boron space just waiting for a BoGas factory.
I think there's also a stratigic local for dropping a Stotts Mixery between the 2 races also.

Scoob
29-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I set up an SPP L in Pandora's Gate. It's just about in profit after a couple of game days, making back its 11 million cr cost as well as the initial lump sum & ships. The main reason I did this was due to a near-total economy stall - everywhere was out of EC's despite there being a number of full SPP's. As more sectors opened though the situation started to balance out. My SPP still sells everything it produces using three selling ships. Also, it has no problem buying Crystals at a cheap price, now said Crystal fabs are getting EC top ups! SPP set to 6 jumps only, so there are a lot of hungy factories out there.

I'd normally have started with an ore mine, but all the fabs with ore requirements were starved of EC's, making that the priority. I might add an ore mine or two now that the economy has balanced out nicely.

A Wheat Farm sounds like a good bet, such factories usually get into profit quite quickly. Might add one myself later as Sirius sectors are usually fairly safe.

Scoob.

insolent1
29-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Tiny shields using an m5 to sell to eq docks
Spaceweed sells just not too much
Tech goods also do well since you can sell to the trading stations

mikems22
29-12-2012, 12:46 PM
I have L and M SPP in Superstitious Revenue along with full complex (crystal fabs, nostrop, flower farm) and 2 super freighters with jumpdrive selling cells for best price. There is always need for EC, no matter where.
Now I builted another SPP XL in Howard Asteroid field, but still Crystal fab XL is missing to 100% production. A LOT of investment, but in time it will pay off.

Vhyle
29-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Right now, I've gotten some TS's as derelict finds during exploration: Baldric Super Freighter, Baldric Hauler and Caiman Hauler. Going to use the Caiman and Baldric Haulers to mine ore, and set the Super Freighter to something else, just not sure. I might just have them all mine, make some passive income while I'm doing patrols and what not. I'm moving more away from Pirating and actually helping to secure and build up the Terran space. I fly Terran ships anyway, and prefer the area the Terrans reside.

I do plan to add a Wheat and Solar Stations, as from reading the posts so far, they are the more profitable stations right now. I'm sure there are others. I'm still a long ways off from that first goal, but I'll get there in time. It's fun playing like this, first time I have not played as a pirate. It's slower going, but I'm enjoying the ride a lot more.

MadMac
29-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Anyone figured out the ratio of factories to make a self-contained Argon SPP XXL?
There use to be calculators for doing it but I doubt anyones got one for XTC yet.
I guess I could just start with the basics: SPP, Crystal Fab, Cahoona Bakery, Cattle Ranch, Silicon Mine.
Then just stack factories as needed.

Rockstarz
29-12-2012, 07:35 PM
As per your suggestion, I dropped a Bogas XL in Liberation of Thought, for the moment, it's just printing money.

Scoob
29-12-2012, 07:52 PM
One thing that surprises me somewhat... The advice to place a Wheat Farm in Miner's Asperation, while valid, should be a BAD location. My reasoning is the FOUR Wheat Farm L's and TWO Wheat Farm XL's in Gemini, the sector immediately to the south. In my game all these stations bar one are full & selling for rock-bottom prices, yet NO traders are taking advantage of this. Where are all the traders? I see lots of TS ships around, but the economy isn't quite as active as I'd expect.

Ok, here's an idea...

If Wheat is indeed selling well then why not build a Wheat Farm + Rimes Fact complex. You can then PURCHASE additional Wheat at rock-bottom prices to sell in your own station, while maintaining enough to produce Rimes to also sell. I've used this trick with Ore mines + a Factory in my recent AP game. In effect I buy a resource at rock bottom price, but my jumpdrive equipped traders sell it further afield.

Scoob.

insolent1
29-12-2012, 09:21 PM
The advice to place a Wheat Farm in Miner's Asperation, while valid, should be a BAD location. My reasoning is the FOUR Wheat Farm L's and TWO Wheat Farm XL's in Gemini, the sector immediately to the south. In my game all these stations bar one are full & selling for rock-bottom prices, yet NO traders are taking advantage of this.

The economy is a bit strange till the universe expansion is complete and all the races have all their traders.
Aswell I think they left some big holes for the player to take advantage of with ST/UT's.

MadMac
29-12-2012, 09:36 PM
One thing that surprises me somewhat... The advice to place a Wheat Farm in Miner's Asperation, while valid, should be a BAD location. My reasoning is the FOUR Wheat Farm L's and TWO Wheat Farm XL's in Gemini, the sector immediately to the south. In my game all these stations bar one are full & selling for rock-bottom prices, yet NO traders are taking advantage of this. Where are all the traders? I see lots of TS ships around, but the economy isn't quite as active as I'd expect.

Ok, here's an idea...

If Wheat is indeed selling well then why not build a Wheat Farm + Rimes Fact complex. You can then PURCHASE additional Wheat at rock-bottom prices to sell in your own station, while maintaining enough to produce Rimes to also sell. I've used this trick with Ore mines + a Factory in my recent AP game. In effect I buy a resource at rock bottom price, but my jumpdrive equipped traders sell it further afield.

Scoob.

Couple of points, Miner's Asperation is a cross road for lots of sectors needing wheat.
You beat the competition by selling 1 credit under average and using a Super Freighter to sell at best price.
A Rhimes/Wheat complex is good but there is less demand for Rhimes than Wheat.
Now if you set the complex to sell the intermidiate products (wheat) or set up a Super Freighter to sell Wheat at Best Price, you could work both.
Now that I think about it, I could probably add Rhimes to the Wheat later on when I start having a surplus of wheat.
But right now I can't produce wheat fast enough to keep up with the demand.

Thanks, lots more to think about.

The economy is a bit strange till the universe expansion is complete and all the races have all their traders.
Aswell I think they left some big holes for the player to take advantage of with ST/UT's.

I'm waiting on my rep with the split before starting the ST/UT's. I want fast TS's and the Caiman seems to be the fastest since they dogged the Scarab's speed.

Scoob
29-12-2012, 09:44 PM
@ MadMac

Yes, my point being that lots of sectors need wheat, but no traders were taking advantage of that sectors surplus.

Well, in my example, Rimes are very much a secondary item. You might sell some at a good price but the BIG money is in selling your wheat. A single station, even without a Rimes fact to support, would likely struggle to meet universe demand - selling using Jump Drive equipped ships as the player can. However, having another ship buying the resource Wheat at 10cr locally can in turn sell it on for more than double that conservatively. That means you can make profit on several Wheat Farms production of wheat, yet you only have a fairly basic two station complex setup. Easy and quick to set up early game, yet can yield some impressive results!

Now, this is all a GREAT opportunity for the player, likely that's why it's balanced that way. However, it does make me feel a little "centre of the universe" as only I appear to be able to take advantage of the situation. Still, this is fun to play with, and there is always the issue of what happen to your mega-fab setup once you've saturated the universe? lol.

Scoob.

MadMac
29-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Scoob
I'm slightly confused.
If you connect the 2 into a complex, wheat becomes the secondary product.
You also wouldn't have to buy it from yourself.
You could set up a trader to buy wheat at best price and start sucking up all the low cost wheat out there.
That would then supplement your supply.
You could turn around and sell it at a profit with another trader selling at best price...oh, profitzzzzzzz!
I'm liking this idea more and more.

Scoob
29-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi MadMac,

Maybe I didn't explain myself too well. Basically once Wheat is a resource (for the Rimes) you gain the option to set up traders who will buy it for you cheap, you can then sell it at a higher price. Say you had Wheat set to buy for the same price you can produce it for. Your TS set to buy would find the cheapest wheat it could below that price. Your selling ship is still bound by that price of course but, it will try to find the best possible price above that minimum to sell for.

You can do this with the standard Buy/Sell Best Price... commands and separate ships, but it comes into its own when you use Lucike's excellent CAG and CLS scripts. I'm aware these scripts aren't 100% compatible with XTC 2.0 until Lucike releases a fix though. I'm using them, but obvously not using the XTC command that gets it's texts overwritten. I did ask for clarification here (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/23002-2-0-quot-INCLUDED-quot-SCRIPTS?p=214587&posted=1#post214587) regarding what the exact issue is.

Hope I've explained myself a little more clearly :) It is a good technique for making money from your own production, plus taking advantage of any excess production in surrounding sectors.

Scoob.

mikems22
29-12-2012, 11:33 PM
You have a nice idea. I bought weat farm XL, set price at 31 (32 avrg), but nobodys is buying from me so far. But I can set my 2 large freighters to buy wheat at the cheapest price, and other 2 to sell at the highest price. So we automatically increase avarage price for wheat. Since I own SPP, cost of production will stay in my pocket. I will try that.

MadMac
30-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Scoob

I understand.
I haven't loaded any additional mods yet so I'm locked into what's available in XTC2.0
The CAG and CLS scripts from the Bonus Pack were excellent for X3:TC and I sorely miss them.
I'm going to try some of your suggestions...at least as far as 2.0 will let me.
I'll let you know how is goes.

Scoob
30-12-2012, 01:47 AM
@ mikems22

Yeah, I always thought it was quite cool :) For you it potentially adds even more benefit. Consider, a station that's full of products needs no EC's as it uses none - assuming it's previously been fully stocked. If you buy it's wares, it uses EC's to replace them and you can sell it EC's too! ;)

@ MadMac

Cool. Yeah, likely best to wait before you add any additional scripts and the like, just to be sure there's not any problems. I've NOT done that, but then I NEEDED my CAGs once I built my first station :)

Let's keep the info coming, peoples input from their direct experience in-game is invaluable.

Scoob.

MadMac
30-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Rabid Dogs of Hell!

Xydonus
30-12-2012, 06:11 AM
You can do this with the standard Buy/Sell Best Price... commands and separate ships, but it comes into its own when you use Lucike's excellent CAG and CLS scripts. I'm aware these scripts aren't 100% compatible with XTC 2.0 until Lucike releases a fix though. I'm using them, but obvously not using the XTC command that gets it's texts overwritten.

Scoob.

I'm using Lucikes scripts as well on a separate installation of XTC, not all of them, but the CAG/CLS/EST/Basic Salary/Codea, they are working as intended at the moment, although that doesn't mean it broke something in XTC.

Someone did post a fix for an issue here that arose with using one of his scripts - http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=331351&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 - Few posts down, user Vukica.

mikems22
30-12-2012, 01:13 PM
The problem is lack of space for wheat, I have wheat farm xl and rimes fact L, and my stock is already full. Another problem is gemini sector, it is full of wheat farms, and at first, the price there was around 15 cr, but now it rose to 20-25 cr, and they run out of EC. But even bigger problem is crysis of energy. Almost every factory which is in a chain of wheat usage lacks energy cells. Cahoonas are full of stock, nobody is buying it, because shield/weapon factories doesn't have energy and do not produce anything. I set price of wheat at 20 cr, but my stupid transporters try to sell it to trading stations (price around 30) which are already full, and they are coming back with the cargo. I don't know, maybe it will change after full expansion, because selling energy cells seems like the best profit for me right now (prices around 18-19 everywhee)

Scoob
30-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, it's critical to ensure the local area has its energy needs met first, otherwise everything stalls. That's why I built an SPP L as soon as I could afford it. I'll likely link another in at some point.

Space for Wheat shouldn't be too much of a problem as you should be selling it as fast as you buy it in & produce it. I'd often see (in a prior game) a TS full of Ore heading for my near-full Ore + Stuff-that-needs-Ore complex, only to have another trader load up with Ore and sell it before it arrives. You will hit an eventual saturation point of course. But then you can choose to start producing more and more stuff that uses the Ore, and sell off the high-end shields and weapons or whatever you produce instead.

My little complexes usually started off just selling Ore, then mostly selling Ore (both produced and bought-in) as well as also producing and selling basic IRE's or 1mj shields. Once Ore became harder to sell for high prices (200cr) I'd add extra IRE + 1mj shield fabs (for example) to use my now surplus Ore.

Obviously my experience is NOT in 2.0, but I imagine the technique can still make good profits :)

Scoob.

````````````
FYI: I now have a complex of FOUR BoFu XL's in Liberation of Thought and it's constantly sold out. That's with my ships jumps set to ZERO, i.e. stay in the current sector. The three SPP XL's there are selling for 12cr and even my ships picking up a 5000+ load doesn't see the price shift they have so much in stock. They then restock quickly so I can do it again and again. I'm also selling BoFu for over 450cr a time, these fabs are huge money-makers!

I'm going to have to add another TS to buy EC's as it eats through them at an alarming rate lol.

Scoob.

**EDIT** Merged double post... Cheers, NC ;) **END EDIT**

mikems22
30-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Bofu? Not bogas? In this sector are 5 bofu fabs, and their need for bogas is enormous!

What about optional resources? Are they needed to produce?

Scoob
30-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Bofu? Not bogas? In this sector are 5 bofu fabs, and their need for bogas is enormous!

What about optional resources? Are they needed to produce?

Lol, of course you're right - I had another numpty moment there. Yes four XL BoGas in a complex, with three trade ships to service it.

I just need EC's and there's plenty locally, though I think I'm going to exhaust that soon with three 6000 cargo traders buying.

I was thinking about adding some BoFu too at some point, hence my typo - or really, a braino if I'm honest lol.

Scoob.