PDA

View Full Version : Stations What´s a Depot good for?

Char
30-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Saw "Depot" offered as factory/station for 20 million but could'nt find any info about it. Ingame Encyclopedia has it under Docks/Neutral Races but there is no description, just where its offered.

So what are thouse good for? how much space do they have? Whats theyr use for 20.4 million?

insolent1
30-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Depot's are great, 500k storage but only has 4 docking clamps so you can't really for intensive direct sales

Scoob
30-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Depots can be very useful. I think they vary slightly by race, for example the Argon one has the standard 5 point "up to M6 size" docking point. Others appear to have an internal bay (the Paranid one) for potentially limitless fighters, while only having one or two external docking points for larger ships. I've not played with them all yet.

I tend to use them as either a place to dump loot & have a trader automatically sell it off for me - CAG's work great here as you can assign multiple wares. Reverse that and you can have a single CAG shop for stuff for you. Dockware Managers - one of Lucike's - lets you set ware limits. My Depot currently (An Argon one) has a single CAG keeping me in stock of ammo, Advanced Nav. Sats and other equipment I'd rather not have to manually hunt around for. It means I always have Ammo available, can easily top up on Adv. NS, fighter drones and the like.

As insolent1 said, they have 500k storage, which is a lot. They also have the "Spray Shop" functionality, but I don't tend to play around with that, though it might be nice producing a custom-looking fleet of your own.

I also homebase most of my ships there for easy access - I send them all over the place doing stuff, but just have to check the owned list to find them.

Scoob.

K.J.
30-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I think they vary slightly by race
No, there is only one depot, so it's always the same.

insolent1
30-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah its the same as v1.2 the only thing that changed is x9 price :)

Ellond
30-12-2012, 03:41 PM
A depot also enables you to buy ship blueprints ('think' missions, light bulb), since it counts as a player base.

Scoob
30-12-2012, 04:12 PM
No, there is only one depot, so it's always the same.

Sorry, Brain Fart - I was thinking the different type of Wharf / Piers out there. I thought the Paranid one odd as it had a fighter exit door, just like carriers have.

I do like the Depot, I wish it had 2x 5 port docks though.

Scoob.

MadMac
30-12-2012, 06:16 PM
A depot also enables you to buy ship blueprints ('think' missions, light bulb), since it counts as a player base.

So, is it the Wharf or the Depot that let's you obtain blueprints?
What's the largest ship you can dock at a Depot? at a Wharf?
...and how do I remove an item from a Depot that I accidently add?
No additional mods or scripts please.

K.J.
30-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I thought the Paranid one odd as it had a fighter exit door, just like carriers have.
They all have - that's where all bought ships exit.

Depot is just a storage facility (HQ without any shipbuilding). You can't remove items after you added them without additional scripts.

What's the largest ship you can dock at a Depot? at a Wharf?
M6 and TS in limited number.

Scoob
30-12-2012, 08:04 PM
@ MadMac

I know you're not too fond of installing any additional scripts just yet - I do see where you're coming from. However, I'm using Lucike's Dock Ware Manager. It lets me both add any ware OR remove a ware (if stock is zero) as well as apply ware limits that Lucike's CAG scripts will adhere to. This is how I currently manage my Dock.

Btw: someone posted a Fix for Lucike's scripts - additional commands appeared for me when I applied this. So I guess they were ones overwritten by the non-modifed Lucike script. Check out this thread over on the the Egosoft Forums:

Link (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=331351&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30)

See the post by Vukica on page 3.

Scoob.

Char
01-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Thanks for all the info!

I asume as they are set like HQ (Blueprints) they also dont allow any tubeconnection to complexes and cannot be used to boost a complex`s storage capacity. pity :(

Scoob
01-01-2013, 12:23 PM
I assume it's not possible to add them to a complex, the same as Trading Stations and the like.

They can be very useful though. I was using mine to ensure I had a local stock of EC, Nav Sats, Ammo and the like, as well as a convenient home base for many of my ships. Last night I've changed its role slightly. It still grabs ammo and the like for me, but now it does more.

Basically, I use Commodity Logistic traders to collect Ore from another mini-complex of mine, while my remote mining ships also deposit Ore there. I then have CAG's selling the Ore from a central location. The Dock can be configured to hold A LOT of Ore using Dock Ware Manager, so things never get full - so, my miners don't get stuck being unable to offload their Ore, nor does my Ore Complex stop production because it's full. Yes, I could just sell directly from my Ore Complex, and have my mobile miners sell their own stuff, but I quite like having a central "Ore Hub" so to speek.

Expanding on this, I've noticed that while Wheat is in high demand, there are MANY Wheat Fabs that are full to the brim with Wheat and selling for 10cr! I cannot produce it that cheaply without some major complex creation. So, taking another Commodity Logistics trader, I have him buying up this Wheat when it's at 10cr and bringing it back to the Depot. Here another CAG is selling it for 45cr+. So a 450% profit, minus the CAG and Commodity Logistics guys wage, which is small.

I can potentially expand further on this with more Commodity Logistics traders collecting other surplus wares & my CAG's selling it on for profit.

Now, I am just playing around with the economy here, trying different ways of doing things, but it's working really well so far. Plus of course it has the bonus of driving up the need for Energy, which I also supply :)

Scoob.