PDA

View Full Version : Mission Question about a certain mission - SPOILERS

Scoob
31-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I've just started a mission chain where I begin by doing simple Passenger Transport work in a TP. I've just hit the following stage in this series, so what follows will contain SPOILERS.

SPOILERS BELOW

Right, the Mission is called "Divine Retribution", I need to talk to Tomes Selek in Primeval Seas and then follow him East into a Xenon sector. It seems he thinks he's exploring an empty sector and checking for Ore and the like. He does not appear to notice at all the huge swarms of Xenon here. Within moments he is overwhelmed by attackers, but thankfully he is 93% immortal so he cannot die. However, he becomes totally swarmed and stops dead in space not to move again as more and more attackerrs engage. I'd need several M2's to keep this lot of his back and I'm just in the TP that was originally requested for the start of this mission!

When we first entered Sector 1716 I thought a plot mechanic might make the sector a little safer for us, so maybe the odd fighter to fend off, but no. Add to that Tomes total unawareness of the danger & I suspect something may have gone a little wrong.

I've reloaded to a prior save before I took this mission as it appears to get stuck with him stationary in a Xenon sector being swarmed. Nothing I can do.

This mission sequence unlocked the second I entered Sector 1718 in a fast scout, does the game assume I would have somehow cleared out 1716 in order to get to 1718 or something?

Any ideas?

Scoob.

insolent1
31-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Recommend just trying it again as its hit or miss whether the xenon swarm him, you could also try to create a little distraction if you have m2.
Send the m2 in first and then start the mission most of xenon will be after your m2 so you should be able to complete this part of the mission.
Alternatively try a m7m.
Its very hard to clear those sectors, I cleared 1716 of the station and all xenon in sector but they just swarmed in again through the south gate, I also cleared 1718 and they just piled through the north gate you really need to clear both sectors at the same time which is hard to do. I think though if you just take out the stations it stops the xenon from spawning directly in the sector although they still come through the gates.
IMO keep trying theres a great moment in that mission that makes all the hassle worth it.

edit

You could also try to time it with one of the xenon raids that are announced in the GNS, some of these raid fleets are sizable and will create a great distraction.

Scoob
31-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi insolent1,

Yes, if I had the assets I should be able to clear things out for a short while. However, the bit that gets me is the mission seems to be totally unaware of how things are in that sector. I'd hope Tomes would have something in his script to be spacially aware so to speak. If he went in there with a REALLY fast ship and suggested you do the same, it'd be more fun for example. As it is, his 170ms ship just isn't fast enough to stay ahead of the Xenon. I really cannot see how it's possible for him to avoid being swarmed really. I didn't pick up this plot until quite late-game and there are hundreds of ships in that sector alone.

Really, if he's dumb enough to go in there, then I'm not dumb enough to except his mission! lol. Really, within seconds of entering the sector you start to se Xenon ships homing in, I had hope we'd be don before they got close. The thing is, once he does get swarmed he just sits there, speed zero, doing nothing .

I will try it again a little later maybe.

Scoob.

insolent1
31-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Well hes immortal so why would he care about a few 1's and 0's :)

As I said wait till the raid into xenon message in GNS and once it picks 1716 and gives the last call for contractors, thats the perfect time to strike as xenon will be distracted.

Try nividium mining if your looking for a way to finance a few m2's.

Scoob
31-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Lol, yeah that's true.

They seem very hit and miss for me. I never see the fleet assemble in a near-by sector as the GNS article suggests. I either jump in sector to be greeted by a handful of dropped crates, or there's nothing at all - well, apart from a full Xenon Fleet! I will try it again, co-ordinating as best I can with a raid - in fact I left the mission at that state so I can just kick off that leg of it again.

Making money is easy enough, I just tend to play in a slightly different way these days rather than just maxing my profit. For example, I don't take Taxi missions normally, nor Patrol / Defence / Assination missions either as the money really ramps up quickly. I'm currently playing a bit of a salvage game, it was day three before I fired my first shot! I've got about 100 million in money here and there, so I might buy something soon...will then need to equip it though.

Oh, I'm likely my own worse enemy at all things combat as I've tweaked things to make it a fair bit harder...

Scoob.

insolent1
31-12-2012, 05:57 PM
The money from missions is terrible imo, even with high trade and combat rank, the only reason I do any missions is for the rep and to do some killing/capping.

For the race raids they don't assemble as per the message in GNS but they do raid the designated sector. From what I have seen so far they P2P jump to a specific location and then either spend a certain amount of time killing xenon before they jump out or more normally they get destroyed :)

Also the Paranid will raid sector 1716, its normally only m6 and fighter swarms but they are quite effective.

Scoob
31-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh, I was avoiding missions due to high payouts - I didn't realise they weren't vanilla bad in XTC. I could do with the rep to be honest.

You know I kept an eye out for raids into 1716 as soon as it was discovered and I've never yet encountered any other ships remaining in there from a raid. I'm not surprised really as there are several M2's in that sector as well as many M + several fighters groups.

I'm spending much of my time in a certain Teladi sector at the moment, but I'll be back!

Scoob.

Spikebhaal
01-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Little Question after this plot are the Sectors 1716 and 1718 still unkown because i wanted to build my HQ and Stations in Sector 1716?

insolent1
01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Little Question after this plot are the Sectors 1716 and 1718 still unkown because i wanted to build my HQ and Stations in Sector 1716?

I don't think so but haven't finished that plot, its a pity because I always liked 1718 and now that it has a new tune its even better.
It might be possible to retake both these sectors but its hard to do, i've been able to clear one sector but they always spill in from the other one, this was my last attempt,

http://i.imgur.com/GaXhs.jpg

as you see they flood right back in

Scoob
01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Here's an interesting annoyance...

As yo may recall, I reloaded before I ventured into 1716 with Tomes. Basically the quest marker was back to meeting him at the trading dock in Primeval Seas. However, just now I jumped into 1716 in an attempt to meet up with a fleet and there Tomes is, being hammered by Xenon! Looks like he ventured off on his own. He is well into the centre of the sector, so entered here long before I did. My mission guidance has appeared to advance however, totally skipping the dock at the station and talk to Tomes steps. I might have to reload and NOT venture into 1716 again for now. What a pain.

Interestingly, Tomes' ship isn't just stopping in space this time, he appears to be carrying on regardless of the MANY attackers...however he is immune pretty much so why shouldn't he? Lol.

Scoob.

insolent1
01-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Might have been the xenon destroyed the trading dock and he undocked and proceeded with the mission the same as if you docked there :)

One thing that helped me on another mission was loads of fighters drones set them to protect his ship and they will attack whoever attacks him and this distracts the attackers, it might buy you enough time to complete that part of the mission.

Scoob
01-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Good thought, however I just checked and the Trading dock is still there and there are no Xenon in the sector.

To be honest, he seems to just be ignoring the Xenon at the moment, which suits me, though this does break my immersion somewhat as the guy certianly doesn't need my help! lol.

Scoob.

insolent1
01-01-2013, 10:50 PM
though this does break my immersion somewhat as the guy certianly doesn't need my help! lol.

He "WILL" require your help though.......probably the funniest moment in x games :lol:

Scoob
01-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Heh, yeah, it just happened and did make me smirk. Who'd a thunk it after he survived endless waves of Xenon...

Edit: You know, since doing that mission I appear to have a friendly Paranid Perseus Raider that follows me everytime I jump to a hostile sector, be in Xenon or Kha'ak. It's not with me in safe sectors... weird! lol. Ok, I lied, he follows me everywhere now!

TheDante
02-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Right, the Mission is called "Divine Retribution", I need to talk to Tomes Selek in Primeval Seas
How long did you have to wait that he contacts you, after shipping him(Tomes) from Holy Pathway to the Goner Trading Post in Bean? Hours?

insolent1
02-01-2013, 06:06 PM
it was about 1 or 2 hours for me