PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Trapped Ships! ...and other nasty surprises.

Nightchade
04-01-2013, 07:42 PM
I came up on an abandoned P, I get within 2k of it, and it goes BOOM. As this isn't the first time this has happened, I thought I'd ask:
Is this intended as a trap, or is this a bug? Also have had abandoned ships turn pirate on me at about the same distance, maybe closer. As in, abandoned until I approach. And yes, I did confirm them as abandoned before approaching. Is this the equivalent of hoisting the jolly roger, or a bug?

*NOTE - This has also happened to my friend on a different PC.

-Chade

2Blackhawk
04-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Not a bug but a trap. Didnt any hostile ships spawn instead?

K.J.
04-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Which difficulty setting are you playing on? Bailed ships are on a timer, if it runs out the ship will be gone. It might be that it explodes and has alot of missiles onboard it can generate quite some damage with the combustible wares AL option enabled.

Nightchade
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Not a bug but a trap. Didnt any hostile ships spawn instead?

I hadn't seen any, but my friend tells me he has been jumped after both events. So, in the words of Admiral Ackbar: It's a trap!!! (admit it, when you read that, you heard it in his voice.....)

-Chade

*edit - Changed title of first post. If a mod would be so kind as to change the thread title, I would appreciate it.

Loriel
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Bailed ships are on a timer

Timer seems to run for a long time.

I deliberately left a Katana unclaimed, intending to train up some marines and get them some fighting practice by boarding it. Couldn't persuade them to attack it, so claimed it with SCS instead, at which time I think it had been abandoned for something like two days.

Loriel

Scoob
04-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi,

Was just jumping on to post about this! I've had the, shall we call it "Pirate Scenario", where things aren't quite what they seem - this isn't that.

I have an Advanced Nav. Sat. in most sectors and it spotted some crates in a Race Sector with a Pirate base - not unusual. I remotely send a ship in to collect the crates and it's scanner picked up an abandoned Xenon R just out of my Adv. NS's range. Nice! So, I jump in in my Mobile Pirate Base salvage ship, pop into my on-board Cutlass - transferring my SCS software to it - and head for the R. 9km away it goes BOOM. Damn.

Ok, that seemed a little coincidental, I'm trying that again. So, back in the Cutlass & this time I TURBO my way there. Again it goes BOOM! What?! I was there sooner, what happened??

I reload and try again, this time jumping into a faster ship...SAME THING HAPPENS at just under 9km distance! Ok, something is screwy here!

I try a few more times, this time cheating to boost my engine speed. I go as far on my final attempt as addiing 500 (five HUNDRED) engine tunings, taking my speed to well over 4,000. However this time I'd been tapping my claim hotkey as I approached and, due to my speed I managed to take control....and the bloody thing goes BOOM!

This must be some sort of scripted event for when I get close right? I mean, I've beaten the timer easily and it always happens seconds after I get under around 9km away.

Just spent about 15 mins trying to claim this ship, before cheating to see if something odd was going on. It is! So, any ideas?

Edit: OOOO, I see what's happening...it wasn't apparrent at first, due to some grid lock at the gate but...

THREE Xenon R's spawn at the connecting gate in a neighbouring sector, so it IS a scripted event. Even if I claim the ship via a script it destructs instantly, so you can NEVER claim it, which is satisfying I suppose as I was soo close the first few (non-cheaty) times.

I must be slow, I didn't see many replies to this when I posted at first, now there are LOADS before mine lol.

Scoob.

Nightchade
04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Yes.... as stated above, it's a trap.... watch for incoming enemies!!!

*Edit - Seems you're not the only slow one today, Scoob.... I didn't see your edit before I posted...my bad.

Scoob
04-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Heh, just had a Q appear in my current "home" sector, I'm gonna spring that trap as there's a Terran Fleet in sector!

@ Nightchade: No worries. Sometimes this forums seems to auto-update, other times you have to force a refresh, sometime you do that and nothing seems to happen. I'd swear there were only a couple of posts when I started writing my reply!

Scoob.

Exedar
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Just as a side-note, you might also want to watch the Galactic News Service after that trap happens and the ship either blows up or turns hostile. When it happend the first time for me with a pirate M6 there was a nice little message in there. Didn't have it with Xenon ships yet so I dont know if you get it there as well but its a very nice addition and made it clear to me what was going on the first time it happened to me.

insolent1
04-01-2013, 10:33 PM
There is a bulletin in GNS warning of this kind of stuff, pirates using abandoned ships as bait........I have yet to encounter it :cry:

Scoob
05-01-2013, 12:45 AM
I've seen both the Pirate and Xenon "warnings" after I've already encountered them!

I just had a new one though... I'm on good terms with the Pirates, they're always Blue to me & I trade with them. Just now, I was placing stations and tractoring them for better placement where a large fighter wing of RED "Sharks Pirate ..." were on top of me. They proceed to attack, I had no chance. I hadn't been daft and towed a mine into them or anything, funny as that might be.

I reloaded, carefully checked the sector, there are Sharks ships about but they are 70+ km away near their base - of which there are TWO in this sector - Naos Nihal - in my game. Anyway, I reload and carry on moving the Ore mines, first one done. I fly to the second and a large fighter wing of Sharks Pirates appears again. They are insta-spawning right on top of me, already in weapons range. Why? There's no obvious "trap" near by, I'm on good terms with them, yet they spawn right next to me hostile and gunning for me repeatedly.

So, any idea what's going on? I tempted to script-kill the lot of them as it's a totally random act & not fitting with my relationship with the pirates. The fact they repeatedly spawn right on top of me isn't on either. Just a bit confused as it keeps happening.

Edit: I just spotted something!

Near one of my freshly placed mines there's an asteroid that looks a little different. On closer inspection there's a DOCKING PORT in it. I think it may be a "hidden" pirate next and they get angry with me just getting close! This is a new one for me!

OK, these "pirates" appear to be spawning as "Enemy Race" rather than Pirates so I can kill them without hurting my pirate rep. That's good. They have some majorly over-tuned ships though. Additionally, their base isn't targetable, so I cannot order my ships to attack it. However, after firing at it manually for a moment, I get the "beep" saying I'm near a hostile target & my "attack all enemies" turrets open up on it. Still nothing on rader or the local map though!

Hmm, this is unfortunate. That untargetable station has bugged the sector. My traders (CAG) think there is something hostile there so no longer work - I will have to reload an older save from before I attacked it. Not so good.

Scoob.

2Blackhawk
05-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Dont read this if you like surprises, the above is intended and no bug

the asteroid with docking clamps is part of "scan Asteroids" generic missions and thought as surprise for the explorer

Vhyle
05-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Timer seems to run for a long time.

I deliberately left a Katana unclaimed, intending to train up some marines and get them some fighting practice by boarding it. Couldn't persuade them to attack it, so claimed it with SCS instead, at which time I think it had been abandoned for something like two days.

Loriel

M6's cannot be boarded by Marines. M7's and above can be though, as well as TL's. Thoguht I would bring this up so that you wouldn't "waste" marines in the future or thought it was a bug. I tried it numerous times with marines, I think I even made a post about it here, and was told that marines cannot board M6's. Anyway, I thought I would mention that.

2Blackhawk
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM
M6's cannot be boarded by Marines.

really? Never tried it but it would surprise me as it was already a feature of TC and in the terran plot (boarding of the vidar).

Scoob
05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
@ 2Blackhawk: Thanks :) However...
Should the station really be a non-object as it is? It's tricky to see, but I think it should be real and properly targetable as well as destroyable. It was a nasty little surprise, very well done, but it needs to be a "proper" station I think. Plus, LET US BUY ONE FROM THE PIRATES! Please! :)

@ Vhyle: Erm, I've boarded M6's using marines in TC - indeed, one of the "training" missions has you board an already bailed Terran M6 in the plot...

2Blackhawk
05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Mentioning works only without space between @ and the name ;). Scoob you see it when the forum underlines the name

If something is changed in the Mod is not in my power as Im no team member. Im just a small admin :cry:

stemardue
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Im just a small admin

I'm even smaller ^^ - but (and i apologise for that in advance) I have changed once more the title thread, for not having off topic issues, since this thread is growing and becoming more and more interesting ;)

Dillpickle
05-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Should the station really be a non-object as it is? It's tricky to see, but I think it should be real and properly targetable as well as destroyable. It was a nasty little surprise, very well done, but it needs to be a "proper" station I think. Plus, LET US BUY ONE FROM THE PIRATES! Please!

Yes it's intended to be a non object, that's the whole point. It would be a fairly rubbish ambush if it showed up on your scanner from 30km away wouldn't it??.

So, no it will never be a target-able object, and no the Pirates aren't going to sell it.

Vhyle
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
@ 2Blackhawk: Thanks :) However...
Should the station really be a non-object as it is? It's tricky to see, but I think it should be real and properly targetable as well as destroyable. It was a nasty little surprise, very well done, but it needs to be a "proper" station I think. Plus, LET US BUY ONE FROM THE PIRATES! Please! :)

@ Vhyle: Erm, I've boarded M6's using marines in TC - indeed, one of the "training" missions has you board an already bailed Terran M6 in the plot...

I stand corrected, it's just I suck at boarding so I just make a blanket and/or generalization. :D I know it's possible but I am inempt as heck when it comes to using marines, so yeah. LOL!

Scoob
05-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Mentioning works only without space between @ and the name ;). Scoob you see it when the forum underlines the name

If something is changed in the Mod is not in my power as Im no team member. Im just a small admin :cry:

I wasn't "mentioning" - I was just directing my response...seems to be quite the convention on a couple of other forums I use, so I did mean @ [space] Name :)

That base being set up in that way is fine. However, if that station goes hostile - which it did when I shot it as notified by the beep - it then effectively breaks Lucikes scripts as they detect a hostile object (even though it cannot be seen) and CAG's and the like won't visit the sector. As I have a complex there, all my CAG's refused to come out! Reloading to before I attacked it, and NOT doing so this time, saw everything ok again. Not sure if anything can be done about that, but I imagine many peoples reaction will be to shoot the thing lol.

Dillpickle
06-01-2013, 04:37 AM
That base being set up in that way is fine. However, if that station goes hostile - which it did when I shot it as notified by the beep - it then effectively breaks Lucikes scripts as they detect a hostile object (even though it cannot be seen) and CAG's and the like won't visit the sector. As I have a complex there, all my CAG's refused to come out! Reloading to before I attacked it, and NOT doing so this time, saw everything ok again. Not sure if anything can be done about that, but I imagine many peoples reaction will be to shoot the thing lol.

So in actual fact it was you shooting at the base that stopped your CAGs working.... Actions have consequences.
It's no different to having a Kha'ak cluster turn up in the sector way off the beaten track, which will stop traders working - I spent hours in vanilla trying to find one of those...
The bases aren't permanent - they will move on after awhile.

Scoob
06-01-2013, 09:47 AM
@ Dillpickle

True, but shooting an enemy is usually the way to remove the threat - in this case it sort of broke things. I had no indication if my shots did any damage at all, nor could I target the station to use missiles against it. It's a great idea, having a little ambush station like this, however having it so it cannot properly be interacted with is a shame.

dctrjons
07-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Lol, these posts are becoming just rude. Just a bunch of people whispering and I dare not peek.

Tritous
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
well how about us non spoiling people have a convo before they spoil us rotten?

I've encountered a trapped P before which exploded into pirates (and the local sector defence I headed towards while desperately dodging in an unarmed m5 completely ignored them: you are on your own it seems). I did find on a load (after I got shot up by an armed m5 i couldn't escape) that if you claim it remotely the trap doesn't trigger. Possibly this was because I was OOS, or maybe just because it wasn't the player.

I've noticed similar in the past for XTM and X3TC when traps were not triggered by MARS when the drones go to collect cargo or tractor a bail closer to you for convenience.

dctrjons
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Hehe, my first experience I think was in my Rapier, I think it had two alphas and a single tiny shield. It was docked to my Yokohama . I came out of the gate and saw the abandoned ship perpendicular to the gate about 30km away.

I figured the fastest way was to jump in the rapier and collect it...so I did. This was quite near the start of the game and I essentially had no equipment installed. Zoomed by the ship, ejected and puttered over....and sure enough it turned hostile and I was puzzled, then panicked.

Felt like I had fallen off my jetski in shark infested water, had to paddle back to the rapier which had coasted a few hundred meters, but seemed like a few km. That's when I saw the extra blips...yeah this was no longer in my head as being a possible bug.

Got to the ship ok but now I felt no safer, 3 pirates and I'm now just a bigger target. Getting to the gate wasn't going to happen, so I had to try and dock at Jones Town. It was still 20km away and I knew this wasn't going to be a picnic. I had never manually docked to the m7 so I was going to have to be a quick learner. I thought about auto-docking...that would circumvent any collision problems...but I really needed the Frig to head towards me...and I know how finicky the AI can be docking vs a moving target. I really didn't want to start the auto-dock...find myself moving 500m away and THEN decide it was a bad idea.

Well, I had gunned it and was about 5km from it and they were 5km from me. Not a big deal, just that I would be cutting the power and they would be bee-lining for me. I didn't have time to fiddle with trying set Jones Town's turret orders...and I would be toast before firing back would make any difference.

I could eject and enter the m7, but that would leave my Rapier out to the dogs while he SLOWLY docked. Leaving me to fight with turrets only. I couldn't afford losing the means to dock for missions that required it.

So I had the ship stop, flummoxed with the commands to see where the docking request was and came in way too fast, hoping the Rapier's brakes were as good as I remembered. Thankfully....it appears they targeted the frigate, because I heard quite a bit of gunfire. No idea how close it was, or if they even shot at me...was focused on not ramming the underside of the ship...since I had no clue how much paint I could swap before it was game over...or how slow or close I had to be to the docking blip. (turned out much slower and closer than I would have liked).

They won't get me again, but the first time was 'fun' as heck.

MadMac
14-10-2013, 09:06 PM
I was tooling around in an Iguana doing transport missions when I saw this sweetly painted Centaur sitting pretty in the middle of nowhere.
I was cruising in for a software capture when she went hostile on me.
I was so confused that I swept right past before noticing my shields were nearly toast.
Got my throttles maxed out and doing the right/up slide to avoid incoming fire and jumped.
I probably should have done the emergency jump but I was panicked.
Anyway, I completely missed on any messages from GNC or looking for other hostiles.
If I had been in my Tiger...then it would have been a different story.
Hats off to the developers for throwing in some spice.