PDA

View Full Version : Walkthrough Leviathan Plot - SPOILERS!! (Work in Progress)

Loriel
06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Introduction:

This is the walkthrough for the Leviathan Plot.

All contributions to the thread are welcome, either corrections for anything I got wrong or bits that I have missed (in particular description of the alternative fork).

Formatting follows the style used for XTM walkthroughs - e.g. Sohnen Observer Mission Part1 Walkthrough (http://www.thexuniverse.com/showwiki/Reviews:Sohnen+Observer+Mission+Part+1+Walkthrough )

Title: Unfortunate Leviathan
Synopsis: Help the Argon Navy recover a broken Leviathan (M0 or M2+, depending which terminology you prefer) - or help the Paranid services to hinder the recovery attempt

Difficulty: Fairly low. Combat requirement is modest, but you will need a ship capable of mounting and using a tractor beam (on the Argon fork of the plot)
Ship Advised: Several different requirements - passenger transport needs a TP (or at least a reasonably large ship capable of carrying passengers), collection of cargo requires a TS (or at least a ship capable of carrying abot 600 units of XL cargo), combat probably needs an M3, towing needs an M6
Adverse Effects: Whichever option you choose, you will probably upset the opposing faction somewhat
Reward: Argon option - blueprints for the Leviathan. To use them, you will need a shipbuilding capacity (shipyard at about 130 million credits), significant amount of cash and resources, and about a week of ingame time for the building to complete - alternatively you could buy a completed Leviathan (if you want one) for about 300 million credits...
Paranid option - ?
How to find: You should receive notification automatically, a short time (few minutes) after the sector Blade's Edge opens. You don't have to be flying in that sector - possibly one of your ships needs to have entered it. There are probably Argon race reputation requirements.

There's also a story about the incident on the Galactic News Service, suggesting the problem was a comet that had been hiding behind the local sun, and jumped out in front of the Leviathan, which was unable to avoid it.

Overview: You are asked to undertake a series of tasks to help the Argon Navy recover a broken Leviathan. At various points in the sequence, a Paranid asks you to help him instead (presumably to hinder this recovery process). This leads to two alternative forks in the Plot. The mission progress is handled through the Mission Logbook (accessible via the Ship Computer Interface - which you should already have hot-keyed), rather than through the usual log system.
Chapter I Medical aid

Part 1 Rescue injured crew
Message from the Leviathan, "A P Moonrat", is received (and triggers an entry in the Mission Logbook), asking for help in Blade's Edge. When you enter the sector, the Argon Trading Station, near the middle of the sector, is displaying the blue book icon - not the Leviathan, where the request for help apparently originated.
Your contact is "Cpt. Gil Salsarna", and you are offered the chance to sign up for the rescue. A cutscene shows a ship flying across to the Leviathan, and the conversation hints that you should use a TP, in order to rescue the passengers. When you arrive within transporter range passengers are beamed aboard (you will need about 200 units of space, and aren't allowed to take smaller loads) and you are asked to take them to the Argon Space Station in Sonara.

Part 2 Deliver medical supplies
There you are tasked with reporting to Ensign Kris Springer, who asks you to deliver 19 units of medical equipment to the Leviathan

Chapter II Leviathan repair

Part 1 Meeting Request
Next it's back to the Trading Station, to talk to Gil Salsarna again.

Part 2 Salvage Mission
There you are invited to help further - bring an M6 with Tractor Beam to tow the Leviathan to base for repair.

Part 3 Towing the Leviathan
As you approach the Leviathan, you are hailed by Abmanckarsatt, asking you to contact him. He was flying an Argon Buster, on the other side of the sector, in my game. This appears as a separate Mission in your mission list, under the heading "Urgent request".
Your task in the main mission is to tow the Leviathan to the Argon Shipyard in Sonara. It is rated as "Hard".
Whilst cruising through Settler's Feud at a stately 80 mps I encountered a remarkably similar mission - a Minotaur offering the generous pay of some 14K credits for a tow to the Shipyard. I declined the opportunity.
Probably worth mentioning here that in the ship I was using (Heavy Centaur) the only mounting point for Tractor Beam is in the rear turret, whereas it's been in the main front array in previous ships I have used. Makes more sense to me, but more work switching turrets every time you attach the tow "rope".
Eventually you arrive close enough to the Shipyard, and you are sent on your way, with a vague promise of more work later.

Part 4 Special crystal shipment
After a delay (about 20 minutes in my case), you receive a message asking you to report back to the Sonora shipyard. Transport mission this time - 600 units of XL cargo, crystals to be collected and taken to the shipyard. This requires a visit to New Horizons, where you pick up a colourful mixture of crystals, and are again contacted by Abmanckarsatt, and the "Urgent request" mission (to contact him) reappears in your mission list.
On arrival at the shipyard you are rewarded with 4 meson blasters (worth a total of about 670K credits).

Chapter III Strange events

Part 1 Counter Intelligence
Although the plot appeared to be finished, about 15 minutes later you are invited back to Sonora to help scan departing ships, following sabotage of the Leviathan. Abmanckarsatt seems a prime candidate, but scanning causes no obvious response. After a few more minutes of scanning you are contacted again and asked to take the scan recordings to Agent Neol Silarn in Artist's Revelation.

Part 2 Argon Secret Service
He asks you to patrol Blade's Edge, visiting stations, in "something big and flashy, like a corvette".

Part 3 Patrol Mission
After a few minutes a large gaggle of about 25 Perseus M3 heavy fighters enter from the North gate - multiple ship variants, and a similar variety of races. They head for the Leviathan near the middle of the sector and attack it - revealing themselves as Pirates. Listen carefully to the instructions here - you are not asked to help defend the Leviathan (it's immortal, and needs to be - its attempts to defend itself are futile - and killing that many Pirates would not be good for your relations with the Pirates). Instead you are asked to kill the ship lurking nearby - old friend Abmanckarsatt - after which it's back to Artist's Revelation to report to Agent Neol Silsarn again.

Part 4 Busted Flush
Next stop is Agent Pael Kayean in Holy Pathway - deliver an update to him. He is obviously a nervous type - as soon as you contact him he disappears, leaving a message that he will contact you later with details of a safe place to meet.
A few minutes later he sends a message inviting you to Terminus Trading Station. Still nervous, he grabs the documents and tells you to disappear quickly and dock at the Military Outpost (unfortunately he doesn't specify which one).
On your arrival in Artist's Revelation, Agent Neol Silarn tells you that you have acquired a tail and recommends that you fly around an deal with it - first suggested sector is Sonora. You will probably spot the tail - a Paranid Perseus Raider. After reaching Sonara, you are directed to Fiery Outburst. Then to Unfortunate Decisions. And then to Sector 404. [List of sectors may be variable - haven't replayed it to check]
The Perseus Raider arrives, and hails you, with another urgent request to talk. At the same time, the mission directive updates to "Kill the Perseus Raider". In my latest playthrough the pilot bailed, still wanting to talk to me, and the mission failed to complete. This also happened to me in 1,x, where claiming and selling it worked, but here it appeared to be unclaimable, so I just ran over it in my Boreas to destroy it (it was flying around at 36 mps, so not a difficult target).
Now the mission finally completes, and your reward is a set of Leviathan (Argon M2+) blueprints in your Shipyard Control Centre.

Loriel

CubemonkeyNYC
18-01-2013, 02:24 PM
What's the requirement for starting this plot? I'd love to start a plot, but I can't find any. The Boron hate me to death, so I don't think Enemy at the Gates is going to happen anytime soon...

insolent1
18-01-2013, 02:35 PM
What's the requirement for starting this plot?
Argon rank 3 i think and Blades Edge to be revealed

Loriel
18-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Basic requirement is that the sector Blade's Edge is open.
There's also an Argon Rep requirement - according to Dillpickle in the thread here (http://www.thexuniverse.com/threads/23161-Plots-spoilers) it's level 5 - "Trusted Ally". I've no reason to doubt him, but can't confirm it as I was much higher when the other condition was satisfied in each of my runthroughs.

Loriel

Rockstarz
23-01-2013, 06:02 AM
How the devil do you get the leviathan through gates when you're towing it?

Dazzard
23-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Fly through the gate as nomal (whilst still towing the ship). Once you get to the other side, fly slowly from he gate till it appears in the current sector, then tow again as normal (re-attaching the tractor beam if required)

Crellion22
23-01-2013, 06:57 AM
So no one tried the Paranid alternative to see what the reward would be?

thetack
23-01-2013, 08:24 AM
i can confirm in 1.2 the sectors you have to lead Abmanckarstsatt through are variable i played it through a few times and have had to go through paranid space and up through xenon space via different routes have not had time to play 2 yet so will wait for patch

insolent1
23-01-2013, 01:13 PM
So no one tried the Paranid alternative to see what the reward would be?

Haven't tried the paranid side in v2.0 but in v1.2, the reward was 3 PRG and the blueprints for the ship, you have to wait awhile iirc

Starwolf931
28-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Haven't tried the paranid side in v2.0 but in v1.2, the reward was 3 PRG and the blueprints for the ship, you have to wait awhile iirc
blueprints for what ship?

reinhart_menken
28-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the walkthrough Loriel.

Can someone comment on what happens if you try to board the ship at any point?

King of the World
28-01-2013, 10:06 AM

It don't function.

insolent1
28-01-2013, 11:50 PM

There is an old thread about it in the archives, iirc it breaks the plot

blueprints for what ship?

go on, have a guess :)

Starwolf931
29-01-2013, 12:05 AM
go on, have a guess :)

Khaak Scout !!!

or mby that ufo thingi

reinhart_menken
29-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Ah, wasn't sure if they changed it or if it stayed the same. Thanks King of the World and insolent1.

Crellion22
29-01-2013, 06:33 AM
dunno which ship but I would expect / want it to be the Paranid M0 not the Leviathan...

Predawn
03-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I should add that the plot sections will pause until you have left the sector to which it applies.
For example: If you finish a section in Blade`s Edge, you will not see the next part of the plot until you leave that sector.
After you have left the sector, the timer restarts on the plot.

This plot raises a question, if you do not own a PHQ or Shipyard, will the blueprint reward be held until you have one

reinhart_menken
04-02-2013, 04:51 AM
I've aided the paranid every step of the way but after waiting in another sector as Predawn has suggested, nothing has happened, and I've waited for quite a while.

This seems to be the case with the Divine Retribution plot as well, which I was hoping to complete and write a walkthrough for, and I'm aware some plots will take a day until the next notice. Do they ever make you wait more than a day or two?

Edit: I looked around more and saw that those are bugs fixed in the next patch.

degsie
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
This plot raises a question, if you do not own a PHQ or Shipyard, will the blueprint reward be held until you have one

Yes, just finished it and the licence is shown in my Shipyard Control Centre, even though I don't as yet own a PHQ or a shipyard.

Dillpickle
06-02-2013, 05:00 AM
I've aided the paranid every step of the way but after waiting in another sector as Predawn has suggested, nothing has happened, and I've waited for quite a while.

Without knowing what stage of the plot you are at it is impossible to tell whether there is a bug (which will need fixing if the mission is to progress), or not.

reinhart_menken
07-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Without knowing what stage of the plot you are at it is impossible to tell whether there is a bug (which will need fixing if the mission is to progress), or not.

You're right. Sorry, I just assumed I had gotten to the end of it. I am at the very end of this walkthrough, where I've been tailed by a Persues Raider, tried to shake it, and then was simultaneously told to destroy it (by Argons) and to aid it (by the Paranids). I've let it go, and gotten the meager reward, and then nothing happens.

I think this is as far as I can get currently? (either you guys are patching it or expanding it).

For those interested in what happens if you help the other side I've helped the Paranids every step of the way, and after being tailed by a Perseus Raider and then letting it go when the Argons ask me to destroy it, I'm found out by the Argons. They said they won't tolerate traitors, which I can only guess to mean that the Argon part of the plot is concluded in this mission, if not all other missions.

I wonder what happens if you only help the other side once or twice.

Also, should there not be some reputation increase for completing missions for either side?

Yautja
17-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Disappointed :x

Ch1 Pt2
Spoke with Ensign Kriss Springer, he said would send message, all it says is " =TextIDNotFound= ". Supposed to deliver Medical supplies according to mission log. Can't buy them anywhere, and mission is stuck with me supposed to com him (done already) ?!
2nd broken plot mission, for the patch can you rewind all plots with hotfix please.

Thanks Loriel, I've read enough 'Spoilers' to know you get blueprints for mission rewards, And i'm still only 5days 19hours in (Don't use SETA) so your spoiler freaks me out lol
Its the missions i was interested in, they are better than the generic ones Egosoft made, was something to look forward to unlocking...

Loriel
17-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Also, should there not be some reputation increase for completing missions for either side?
Yes, there is a significant increase in Argon reputation if you choose that fork - in my case, I think it went from 10@01 to 10@15.

2nd broken plot mission, for the patch can you rewind all plots with hotfix please.
You could always look on the bright side - the reward for the plot involves over a week's in-game building time in your shipyard, which is probably similar to your other broken plot - it's almost certainly quicker to earn the money and buy the ships instead.

Loriel

ceeldee
19-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Hi, I dont know if my plot is broken or not. Had the message to get a transport and report to shipyard..It took me a while because I salvaged a transport and refitted it. Now, having returned in a transport there is no entry in my Mission Log and nothing happens when I dock .The message to get a transport and return is showing in my message log. Any thoughts ?

Loriel
19-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Hi, I dont know if my plot is broken or not. Had the message to get a transport and report to shipyard..It took me a while because I salvaged a transport and refitted it. Now, having returned in a transport there is no entry in my Mission Log and nothing happens when I dock .The message to get a transport and return is showing in my message log. Any thoughts ?
Plots are usually fairly forgiving of delays - you can take your time between stages, and often in the stages themselves.

I assume this is the second stage - "Deliver medical supplies"?

From the wording in the walkthrough - you are tasked with reporting to Ensign Kris Springer - I assume you need to talk to the specified person. Is he on that station?

Make sure that the transport has sufficient space - about a hundred units as I recall. And make sure, of course, that you are reporting to the right station.

Loriel

ceeldee
20-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Thanks Loriel, Yes my fault , worked OK, now finished although the "prize" doesn't seem worth anything. . Its been a couple of years since I played so I was pleased I remembered the internal gate to gate jump trick.

Yautja
22-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Disappointed :x

Ch1 Pt2
Spoke with Ensign Kriss Springer, he said would send message, all it says is " =TextIDNotFound= ". Supposed to deliver Medical supplies according to mission log. Can't buy them anywhere, and mission is stuck with me supposed to com him (done already) ?!

Thanks Loriel, I've read enough 'Spoilers' to know you get blueprints for mission rewards, And i'm still only 5days 19hours in (Don't use SETA) so your spoiler freaks me out lol
Its the missions i was interested in, they are better than the generic ones Egosoft made, was something to look forward to unlocking...

FYI retried this mission, got past bit i was stuck on. I com'd after docking, instead of last time comming before docking, might be something in that?

Ac3s
15-05-2013, 09:25 AM
come on there should be tutorials about these plots with every step you can take and what each different reward/consequence will be, I just had to try this plot 4 times in a row (wasted almost 2 hours) just to get it right.
Basically its a mission inside a mission, you have to help the paranid guys at least 2 times for the leviathan shields to malfunction or you will NOT get the full reward.
You have been warned, the 2nd mission starts when your about to tow the leviathan, there is an ARGON BUSTER you need to contact or you will screw up the entire plot reward in the end...(make sure your in an M6, I tried it with an M7 first time and the mission did not go on, by the time I realized this and got an M6 I was 2 sectors further and it screw up the mission reward)
Same when getting the crystals back to the shipyard, talk yet again to that ARGON BUSTER before actually docking at the shipyard or you will screw it up...
Then kill the argon buster when the leviathan is under attack after the major shield malfunction.
Then kill the paranid persues that keeps following you around after you take several jumps.
ONLY THEN you will get the full reward(leviathan blueprint) !

As for trying to help the paranid side, only got a few guns and then the mission stopped, so I have no clue what I did wrong on that part but I aint doing it over 4 times yet again just to find that out.

Crellion22
15-05-2013, 09:37 AM
come on there should be tutorials about these plots with every step you can take and what each different reward/consequence will be, I just had to try this plot 4 times in a row (wasted almost 2 hours) just to get it right.
Basically its a mission inside a mission, you have to help the paranid guys at least 2 times for the leviathan shields to malfunction or you will NOT get the full reward.
You have been warned, the 2nd mission starts when your about to tow the leviathan, there is an ARGON BUSTER you need to contact or you will screw up the entire plot reward in the end...
Same when getting the crystals back to the shipyard, talk yet again to that ARGON BUSTER before actually docking at the shipyard or you will screw it up...
Then kill the argon buster when the leviathan is under attack after the major shield malfunction.
Then kill the paranid persues that keeps following you around after you take several jumps.
ONLY THEN you will get the full reward !

As for trying to help the paranid side, only got a few guns and then the mission stopped, so I have no clue what I did wrong on that part but I aint doing it over 4 times yet again just to find that out.

Hum hum some of us did it a few months ago and might actually not have time to go back to the game to re run the darned mission but are really curious about what the FULL reward is (for the duplicious one that will not hesitate to work both sides). You mind spoilering it or pm' ing it?

Dillpickle
15-05-2013, 10:37 AM
come on there should be tutorials about these plots with every step you can take and what each different reward/consequence will be

If you had all that information, there would be no point in writing half the plot stuff, as all you will do is pick the route that gives the biggest shiniest reward...

With different rewards/consequences dependent on your choices during the plot, it adds a little more 'replay' value to the plot, it's not always about what you get at the end...

Ac3s
15-05-2013, 11:31 AM
tbh getting a few guns or a blueprint for the biggest argon ship aka leviathan... who wouldnt go for the big reward.
And all the difference is letting 1 argon buster go or not, you'd be crazy to choose for the few guns you can buy at any equipment dock instead of the 1 time opportunity to get that blueprint.

As for the other 2 missions ive tried so far, both of those had xenon expanding in the sectors the missions actually take place and they are broken as hell, those missions just come to a dead end so I thought it was important on how to at least get a proper way to get this one done, I don't understand how everyone here can be so vague and use spoiler alerts for every little detail when its already so hard to actually get the mission done properly, one small mistake and its broke.

And yes im very grateful for this mod, but the missions are just so hard, not in the sense they are impossible to complete, but in the sense of doing them in time (before enemies expand) and doing exactly whats needed to not break them yourself or to lose the reward.

For me personally it would be really nice if someone would tell me what rewards all missions give and if there is a way to cheat those rewards in the game if the plot somehow breaks in a way that cannot be fixed.

Yautja
15-05-2013, 01:13 PM
write what you want here, spoiler tag -> needs / before word [spoiler]

I've only done this mission, others have broke or not been found [spoiler] Make friends with Boron to do Split mission, not for me

Loriel
15-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I think your expectations are unrealistic.

The mod was created by volunteers.

These walkthroughs were written by volunteers.

There is a limit to the resources they can devote to providing what you are demanding.

If you have helpful information to add, or details which you think were left out, then please post here (suitably spoilered).

Your post gives the impression that you are expecting other people to do your work for you, and are willing to give nothing in return.

I can only speak for myself here, but this sort of destructively critical attitude is why my early enthusiasm for writing walkthroughs and FAQs has evaporated, and I have contributed little to this site in the last few months.

Loriel

Ac3s
15-05-2013, 09:12 PM
1. I'm not demanding anything, I just dont like my plots breaking or ending on a sad note which leaves me to retry them over and over again.
2. I gave you my personal input on my 4 attempts so it can help other people reading this topic who have the same questions as I did about this plot and why they did not get the leviathan blueprint.
3. I fail to see the destructive attitude, maybe im a bit annoying but you shouldn't take that personal.

All I can say is that hopefully my post will prevent someone else from going though all the hassle as I did.

Dazzard
15-05-2013, 10:02 PM
1. I'm not demanding anything, I just dont like my plots breaking or ending on a sad note which leaves me to retry them over and over again.The mod isn't perfect, but the issues are known and are going to be fixed in the next patch. The plots being broken by Kha'ak/Xenon expansion is one of the many known bugs

BTW, the patch will be ready when it's ready. Sadly the XTC team don't have the free time to fix the many bugs in their mod so patience will be appreciated for these issues are ironed out. Remember, it is free after all :)

If you do find a bug that hasn't been previously been reported then please do post it in this forum so it can be a known bug and be scheduled to be solved.