PDA

View Full Version : [SOUND] Universal Radio Station and Audio sensors

shiftfallout
19-06-2007, 03:53 AM
I wanted to request a few audio improvements to X3 via mod. Not sure how possible it is, but here are just a few things that come to mind to make it more immersive and lively.

1. Universal Radio Station. Basically if you are in your ship, why not pick up on transmitions such as radio waves. Think Star wars cantina music coming in or other forms of wierd music, maybe even a dj. If its posisble to make, perhaps adding to the radio station's audio content can be done over time growing into a larger user generated package.

2. Audio sensors that can pick up echos or alien life. Echos would be sounds waves lost in space, such as random static, a lost transmition that is to old to be understandable, strange noises. Alien life, I was thinking something like hearing whale sounds, perhaps can be associated with a energy based creature that someone might want to add to some sectors. Flying close to say a residential station (if they add one) and the enhanced audio sensor is on, you might pickup faint sounds that you might find in a factory mixed with New York City durning a busy day.

Just wanted to throw it out there. I think the radio would add a sense of life, and the audio sensors would add perhaps a spook effect that makes you think that there really is something out there in space, that sound does travel even if from light years away.

KaZuma
19-06-2007, 10:55 AM
That would be a heck of a lot of scripting, and that in itself I'm not even sure if scripts can call custom sounds, or even if X3 will allow for custom sounds.

The radio idea would also be pushing it in terms of whats possible as well, since I'm not exactly sure about sound effects in terms of radio chatter and the like.

Ikaruga
19-06-2007, 11:14 AM
You could make a 'textual' radio

A command, everytime you activate it, the scripts rolls a dice :

1 : some random useless chat
2 : a pirate intercepts your communication, jumps in and attacks you
3 : a trader calls for help
4 : you hear a rumour about an abandonned ship

etc ...

SHould not be *so* hard to script.

What do you think ?

KaZuma
19-06-2007, 02:27 PM
question is: HOW would you show the textual radio chatter? via the Messages/Logs window?

I seriously doubt that'll be feasable :(

Eliah
19-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Iirc there was a similar thing on Egosoft's S&M forums, the Comm chatter framework? I think it is abandoned project ever since 1.3 or 1.4, but basically the idea was to make a radio of sorts, for ship-in-sector-comm net.

Cthonix
19-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm all for the radio idea, not so sure about the audio sensor one... but a radio would be cool, I'd be happy to submit some music for it.

Ikaruga
20-06-2007, 06:48 AM
question is: HOW would you show the textual radio chatter? via the Messages/Logs window?

I seriously doubt that'll be feasable

Of course it is, everytime you press a key, you get a random message. Would not really be an actual radio but some kind of "random message reciever".

And as I said before, each message would have a particular effect, good, neutral or bad.

Player.
20-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I dont know, a radio using text? its just like saying "ohh we couldn’t do it that way so we did it this way just to do it" personally I dont think this will happen, the amount of time on developing it compared to the results isnt worth it.

Besides, do you honestly belive that people will be using this? if it was with audio then maybe, but a text based radio? Please... :? :skeptic:

Eliah
20-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Actually I believe not many would use the audio option either, I mean, they will definately be in a bad "Betty" voice, or even worse, some man who is choking on every word, there will be the cracking and squeaking sounds (hey, it's a radio), and I won't even mention the extra load on CPU with people who have on-board sound chipsets, not seperate audio cards (above 50% definately)..

As for the text, well, I reckon it would get boring in 12-20 times, I mean, look at how many entries BBS have, and even they are starting to get old..

(little thought) Perhaps what the X-verse really could use is some kind of software that, when entering sector, offers to scan local station BBS messages in your ship, no need to actually dock..
That way you would get a far greater chance of actually getting a mission, or seeing where it is offered.. (naturally, you would have to dock to pick up a passenger/transfer ware, but could accept assasination and XI missions on-the-fly (thought ends here)

Player.
20-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Thats a completly diffrent idea, post in a new topic :wink:

DarkWrath
20-06-2007, 10:45 AM
An audio-based radio would e possible , but it would require tones of scripting , not to mention recording and editing the required messages. Don't know if it is worthy tbh....

Player.
20-06-2007, 11:06 AM
It isnt, we dont have a studio to make quality recordings, not to mention that this "radio" cant only be Argon... :roll:

shiftfallout
21-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Heres how I imagined it. You have selected sound files in a folder, a script tells the game to play those sound files when you turn on a radio (hotkey).

The majority of it would be music, contributed from the interwebs.

There is actually good text to voice software out there, some you can use for free. So it wouldnt be hard to generate some audio content with voice through that. Check out Voki.com for example.

Who here has played a bit of Vampire the masquerade for PC? They had a radio station in the game, that was very limited, but it repeated in such a way that it felt refreshing.

Stevio
21-06-2007, 05:27 PM
unless you are talking about using original x music the problem would be that distibuting a sound file with protected music on it is Illegal :roll:

Cthonix
21-06-2007, 08:32 PM
unless you are talking about using original x music the problem would be that distibuting a sound file with protected music on it is Illegal :roll:

Well for one thing we aren't charging anybody for this and for another its a very small community compared to something like limewire. However if you really want to play it safe then only take tracks that are already officially being handed out, get tracks from bands' myspaces and the such.
Though I am not completely sure where the law stands on this sure I am pretty damn sure that noone is going to be prosecuted.

Stevio
21-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Well for one thing we aren't charging anybody for this and for another its a very small community compared to something like limewire.

for record companies those statements mean absolutely nothing
by distributing there music freely is just as bad as selling it on :!:

Legartius
21-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Why not have it so you could put your own music on too? I know you can do it with another program, but it would be kinda cool :)

KaZuma
22-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Why not have it so you could put your own music on too? I know you can do it with another program, but it would be kinda cool :)

There's a reason why game companies dont add this ability to their games, and all for the same reason.

Royalty fees.

Even if you didnt add the music in, making it so that its possible, means you have to pay the fees anyhow, and this time, for ALL of the music under their coverage.

shiftfallout
22-06-2007, 08:52 AM

There's a reason why game companies dont add this ability to their games, and all for the same reason.

Royalty fees.

Even if you didnt add the music in, making it so that its possible, means you have to pay the fees anyhow, and this time, for ALL of the music under their coverage.

Lets put it this way.

There is a LOT of royalty free music on the interwebs. There are whole forums and communities where people use their computers to compose music and share it because its their hobby not their profession. This kind of content is easily obtainable. Then there are other forms of sound, MIDI's for example. There are programs that can play them very good now, in a sense emulating instruments.

The initial set up can be put in place with XTM and an outside script seperate from the mod can be found telling the game to also use music found in folder X. Egosoft nor XTM can be held accountable.

Also if you look at the mod scene, as long as a form of IP isnt going to ruin their business (aka go after the same field) they dont really care.

What I see a lot of is reasons why not to do something rather than reasons on how it is possible. Negative thinkings gets people no where.

destyre
22-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Well for one thing we aren't charging anybody for this and for another its a very small community compared to something like limewire. However if you really want to play it safe then only take tracks that are already officially being handed out, get tracks from bands' myspaces and the such.
Though I am not completely sure where the law stands on this sure I am pretty damn sure that noone is going to be prosecuted.

Besides it´s just redistributing something to X3 players which they already have.

might be nice to switch music insector though if you get bored of it

misioooo
22-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Starwolves 2 - in that game you hear from time to time occasional blubbering in radio (like fragments of conversations + some noise)... Effect is great!
But i doubt it will be possible in X3... Maybe change soundtrack to some music with built-in noise and radio chats?

shiftfallout
26-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Starwolves 2 - in that game you hear from time to time occasional blubbering in radio (like fragments of conversations + some noise)... Effect is great!
But i doubt it will be possible in X3... Maybe change soundtrack to some music with built-in noise and radio chats?

that really was a great feature. Though I have trouble accepting that X3 cannot play more than one audio stream at a time. It is quite common in other games, and a script is all thats needed to tell what to play and when to play it.