Short Story Less than 2500 Word

1. equinox
2. ezra-r
3. krm398

Short Story 2500 to 5000 Words

1. Mokonzi
2. Anon loyalist
3. krm398

Congratulations to all, some excellent work gone into the stories, and some more have started contributing to the fan fiction areas on a more regular basis.

Details of more competitions coming soon (if you want to stay tuned into competitions and other important events, please sign up to the TXU Mailing List found here: http://www.thexuniverse.info/

EDIT:

!!COMPETITION VOTING STAGE!!

The voting stage of the competition has finally arrived. The entrants have worked hard, so let's show our appreciation for their work.

Rules are as follows.

- It is expected for all entrants to vote. Not voting counts as a negative on the end result (it's the same as cheating in our eyes).
- You must not vote for your own entry
- There is one week to vote for the entrants (Midnight Monday 5th November is closing date)
- Votes should be formatted as follows:

1. Person who you think should win
2. Person who you think should come second
3. Person who you think should come third
4. etc....

Links to the topics that now have the entrants works of art in are here:

The Short Stories under 2500 words section (http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7002)
The Short Stories 2500 - 5000 words section (http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7004)
The Poetry section (http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7003)

Let the voting begin...

-----------------

It's time for another TXU competition, this time it's the turn of the Writers on the forum.

There are so many creative writers on The X Universe forums, it's only fitting that we have a special competition for them.

There are three categories.

Categories

Poetry (500 word limit)
Short Stories (Less than 2500 words)
Short Stories (Over 2500 but less than 5000 words)

The Poetry section is for poetry exclusively written for this competition, and that is based around the X Universe. There must be no more than 500 words.

The Short Stories under 2500 words section is for short short stories, with the aim of creating a simple story perhaps about one aspect of the X Universe, though there is no restriction.

The Short Stories 2500 - 5000 words section is for short stories that contain a bit more background about the characters or ideas. It's more likely to include a more varied story.

General Rules

All the sections should be about the X Universe, and must be unique new works, and not copied from anyone else. Plagiarism is not allowed.

The entries must be predominantly in English (more than 75%), and while some non-English sections are allowed, please be aware than any translations of non-English sections will be included in the word limit.

The competition will last for three weeks starting from today (Monday 8th of October 2007) to Monday (midnight GMT) 29th of October. The voting stage will start soon after for a 7 day period.

If you have any questions about what is and isn't allowed, please reply to this thread.
If you are provided any instructions about your works via the Moderators, please respond accordingly. If you fail to respond (for example, if you had broken a specific rule), then the Moderators will provide you a warning before any further action is taken.

Voting Rules

For those who are going to vote on the entries in the competition, please look at the content first before you judge on writership. Many of the non-native English speakers will have problems with grammar, while the story will be good. Please mark accordingly.
Again, if the voters have any questions, please feel free to post your questions in this topic.

At the moment we are allowing the entrants to vote as well. In the last competition there were some comments on the fairness of letting entrants vote where others may not. Can we please encourage all entrants to vote. A decision will be made prior to the voting stage as to whether we will penalize the entrants that don't vote so as to allow a fair result.

We look forward to seeing all the entries.

News on the prizes will be announced towards the end of the entry stage of the competition.

Enjoy the writing...

The X Universe Team

EDIT:

COMPETITION PRIZES

For those that succeed in winning a section of the competition, there will be a number of prizes: A Shiny Badge that says you won the Competition, a free membership to the TXU Chartered Members group for a year, and a free email address to one of the TXU domains available (details available on request after the competition closes).

Additional to this, all competition winners from past competitions will get similar rewards.

krm398
09-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi.Mokonzi..is this the correct spot to add entys or will there be a special link on the forum where they will go? Sound obvious, but checking.

Mokonzi
09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Place stories in this topic for now, and then we'll split them off when it comes to voting. Keeps the forum tidier.

Nice work ezra-r, will have a proper read later on.

Mokonzi
21-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Lol. Nice work Stevio. Need to encourage a few more users to get involved now... :)

Stevio
21-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah surprisingly this competition has had a slow start :?

Phlt
21-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Can't compete unfortunately, my english is not good enough :cry:

Mokonzi
23-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Nice story krm398! Hopefully we'll get the next part in the 2500-5000 word section... :)

Anon loyalist
23-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Interesting story. Finish it i may vote for it. Dismissed, ;)

krm398
23-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Gee, Mok, I'd have to learn to count to do that, I made this one up on the reply pad..lol.

Mokonzi
25-10-2007, 05:04 PM
LOLOL I'm in stitches!

krm398
25-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Go Annon..GO..GO!..lol

Anon loyalist
25-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Funny! very good. I think Mokonzi, this is the funniest or could be the funniest compo you've done. Funny poem KRM 398.
Dont Panic!

krm398
25-10-2007, 09:36 PM
TY Anon, I like yours too..we chased each other around the compotition for a while there, it was fun, good job.

Mokonzi
26-10-2007, 06:51 AM
What you guys like... :uglystupid:

krm398
26-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Ah, Mok,I'm crushed...Boo Hoo...

Anon loyalist
26-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Azn Just ignore him (Mokonzi). He looks very much like a sisy girl to me.

krm398
28-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey Annon, I just came back from seeing your fan fiction story..very nice. You know, of course this challenge will not go unanswered..lol. You trying to give me a headache or what..

Anon loyalist
28-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Trying and by the sounds of it i am giving you a headache. Come on, you can come up with somethin now. ;)
Do you feel threatened by my awesome power. 8)
Just kiddin. That story was written purley for the compo. Mokonzi, the forceful person that he is, wanted me to write something for it. He is supposed to be writing one today for it. It wont be as good as mien and yours though. ;)

krm398
28-10-2007, 06:39 PM
ok, Mok impressed me, I'm impressed, yep,yep..lol oh and Annon, my first couple of chapters should be coming up on the fan fiction soon..lol

Sirus5
28-10-2007, 06:42 PM
OK, Mokonzi wasn't bad, but that Anon Loyalist simply knocks spots off everyone else...

He should be banned! (or get him his own competition :mrgreen:).

krm398
28-10-2007, 06:44 PM
oooo, the Annon fanclub begins, gj...

Anon loyalist
28-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Hello my loylal fans. :) I am before you once more and proud of each and everyone of you. Your all so so lovable. Like little puppies.
Right thats just me being my normal self, daft.
Mokonzi's song was good i liked it. Still can't expect too much from amitours. ;)
Chow my fans 8)

D!S7RUG@7OR
28-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm very disapointing because of my bad english.I really liked to enter this competition but i hardly write this simple post but a story it's realy painful for me(maybe if i learn much more english on the years of school who know now :(:(:().Cya :cry::(:(:(

D!S7RUG@7OR
28-10-2007, 07:43 PM
By the way great job krm398,Anon,Stevio,Mokonzi ;) i realy liked your story's and poetry's and Anon consider me to your loyal fan.Cya ;)

Anon loyalist
28-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Your good with words equinox i'll have to take a leaf out of your book. Nice poem, and in reality very true.
'Destroyer' you are at the tp of my fan list. Your english will improve but don't beat yourself up about it. Enjoy life to the full bud.
By No1 fan and equinox. :wave:

D!S7RUG@7OR
28-10-2007, 10:05 PM
:jump: thx Anon for adding me at 1st place on your fan list :) and by the way i will working on my own story :shock:.In fact i will write the story in romanian but thx to one of my friends(he will be my translator :o) i finally post and my creative imagination :xtmflag::xtmflag::jump::jump::jump::txuflag::txuf lag:.Now i hope to be of good quality like your.Cya ;)

Anon loyalist
28-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Hope it goes well. ;):)

krm398
29-10-2007, 12:02 AM
well, I goofed up..I finished my story but cant post it on the fan forums. Its too long it says only 30k characters alowed and mine is 49k..oh well. not sure I can save it after cutting 1/3.

krm398
29-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Ok, ok, I have to make Mok a big apology for this, I'm new at this stuff. I finally got my fan fiction on the site. I had to break it into part 1&2..(revised) if you see any from me not marked revised throw it out, I tryed a couple times to balance the number of characters to get it to let it in..sorry, whip me later please....lol. TY your the best.

Mokonzi
29-10-2007, 05:27 AM
It's sorted. New threads have to be validated in the Fan Fiction Forum, mainly cos we want just stories in there, not general chat.

krm398
29-10-2007, 10:26 AM
ty Mok for helping me out on this, but I still screwed up, just checked, while trying to balance the charchters, I skipped chap 4..lol what a goof..I'm going to see if it even fits with any of the other 2 parts and clear the character total..please have patience, Mok..

krm398
29-10-2007, 10:31 AM
to quote my favorite sub charactor.."ok,ok, we got it now, dont do anything suspicious"..lol Mok, old buddy theres a new revised again part 1 with 4 chapters, I appologise for the inconvienience..again can you switch it for me? ty

ezra-r
29-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Today is the last day. Hope I win!!!

krm398
29-10-2007, 01:59 PM
gl ezra, you do good work..

Mokonzi
29-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Hope everyone wins... :)

Sorted out the topic, just about to delete the unused one krm398.

ezra-r
29-10-2007, 04:13 PM
gl ezra, you do good work..

Thank you, you too!

Anon loyalist
29-10-2007, 04:27 PM
What are you all saying, you all decide as well.
It'll be alright. 8)

krm398
29-10-2007, 04:41 PM
TY Mok, I made this harder than it needed to be, you have great patience..lol

Mokonzi
29-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Added details of the prizes to the OP.

Sirus5
29-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, this is the second Liom Slammer tale from Mokonzi that I have read.

The writing is the most polished I have seen from all the entries thus far, grammar and spelling are by far the best...
However, at this point, I am captivated, but I find that although it makes for good reading, it's not quite got the pull that KRM398 has with his "Time of Desparation" and although it's much more polished than Anon Loyalist, it's not a Patch on "Anomaly" which by virtue of it's mystery and technology, I think makes it a stunning piece.

All in all, in the story section, these three are currently very good.

My thoughts are currently - although I may revise these later...

Anomaly -
Spelling & Grammar: 77% & 74% (Needs spelling & Gramatical revision)
Pace: 87% (Immediate bail :mrgreen: - starts quickly, introduces cahracters nicely)
Content: 97% (Nice technical and sci-fi additives - anomaly, unknown space, unknown weapons etc.
Style: 94% (ooozes style, needs to achieve grammatical perfection).

429/500

Time of Desperation
Spelling & Grammar: 84% & 82% (Only a few small issues here)
Pace: 82% (Starts well and increases pace, only let down by slowing the pace and rushing things at the end where more should be expounded at the cap-ship capture and the journey from BHS back to Argon One).
Content: 84% (Novel idea which is already seen in the real XTM - Bail Software, liked the smoking "P" bit).
Style: 91% (it's all there, with the tension)

423/500

Family Njy
Spelling & Grammar: 98% & 96% (Just excellent, can only find ONE slight 'anomaly' (pun intended) :rolleyes: in the spelling department
Pace: 76% (A little slow on getting personal with the characters up front)
Content: 75% (Once started, it it a great read, but thus far has no special technology or mystery, there is no mention or hint at this stage of the plot...)
Style: 76% (Needs some hinting with regards to the plot and where it might be going - take anomaly, we all knew the anomaly was going to give us something, but what's that Centaur going to give us here?? - see what I mean?? - however, that doesn't detract from the fact it's still a piece I would commend.

421/500

Well done chaps

Sirus

equinox
29-10-2007, 10:55 PM
omg can i have an extension i'm typing away furiously on a dodgy keyboard and still have 1000 words to go. HELP!!! lol

Sirus5
29-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Hiya Equinox....

Go man, go!!!

Let me see if I can get Mokonzi to grant you an extension...
As you have a dodgy keyboard, I will do my best....

Don't leave that keyboard though!

equinox
30-10-2007, 12:01 AM
11;59 phew that was cutting it close

equinox
30-10-2007, 12:45 AM
hmmm relax, i've just had a look through all the entries, well done all. sorry mine was a bit rushed, i do work long hours and as i travel i use a tablet computer which decided to give me keyboard problems. the only way for me to get it to work was to lie on my back and rest it on my knees, my g/f was laughing her head off at me getting all stressed. lol. man i hope that i dont have to vote in this competition as every submission was great for different reasons. thanks again to anon-loyalist and mokonzi for the encouragement. also ezra-r could you please not put your p.c.details below your posts as they make me slobber which is no good for my already dodgy keyboard.lol p.s. mokonzi there's a zulu word which sounds similar to your name makosi and it means boss man lol

Mokonzi
30-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Well done equinox, glad you got the entry in... :)

I know what it was like rushing to get it completed, I was racing to the very last minute I had for mine, wish I'd been able to get that bit more in. I'd still got a story I hadn't finished in time for the compo... :(

Right, locking the topic while I split the posts into the relevant places.

Mokonzi
30-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Topics split off, just working on formatting...

Mokonzi
30-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Get voting every one:

!!COMPETITION VOTING STAGE!!

The voting stage of the competition has finally arrived. The entrants have worked hard, so let's show our appreciation for their work.

Rules are as follows.

- It is expected for all entrants to vote. Not voting counts as a negative on the end result (it's the same as cheating in our eyes).
- You must not vote for your own entry
- There is one week to vote for the entrants (Midnight Monday 5th November is closing date)
- Votes should be formatted as follows:

1. Person who you think should win
2. Person who you think should come second
3. Person who you think should come third
4. etc....

Links to the topics that now have the entrants works of art in are here:

The Short Stories under 2500 words section (http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7002)
The Short Stories 2500 - 5000 words section (http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7004)
The Poetry section (http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7003)

Let the voting begin...

ezra-r
30-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Can you please arrenge the necessary forum polls?

Mokonzi
30-10-2007, 08:47 PM
There's no need for polls ezra. It wouldn't work well anyway, you couldn't vote for more than one.

So...

Just place a list of who yuo want first, second, third as the 'vote'.

I'll collate them at the end of the week.

Mokonzi
06-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Voting closed, results updated later...

Mokonzi
08-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Winners announced tomorrow morning... :)

Mokonzi
09-11-2007, 08:38 AM
The results are (finally) in:

Poetry

1. Stevio
2. Mokonzi
3. krm398
4. Anon loyalist
5. equinox

Short Story Less than 2500 Word

1. equinox
2. ezra-r
3. krm398

Short Story 2500 to 5000 Words

1. Mokonzi
2. Anon loyalist
3. krm398

Congratulations to all, some excellent work gone into the stories, and some more have started contributing to the fan fiction areas on a more regular basis.

Details of more competitions coming soon (if you want to stay tuned into competitions and other important events, please sign up to the TXU Mailing List found here: http://www.thexuniverse.info/

Mokonzi
09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
There is also a new shiny Competition section http://www.thexuniverse.com/modules.php?name=Competitions

Please check there for regular updates on what is happening with the latest competitions, etc.