I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

ulfius      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default [MOD] Combat Mod 2

Combat mod 2 -introduction
      Hi everyone.
      Welcome to the final installment of the Combat Mod series. It Improves on the original 'Dynamic Combat Mod', adding in many new content, performance and game-play elements that I felt were lacking or undeveloped in x3. As the name suggests it changes the dynamics of combat in many ways. A long and informative description of these changes can be found in the next post. This second generation mod builds on the foundations of the original 'dynamic combat mod v1' and attempts to address directly performance issues, gameplay issues and general combat elements that fell short of their potential in x3.

Your feedback is highly welcome in shaping this project and in further developing it after release. All ideas will be considered - big or small. I have been reading the forums for your issues with X3 and will try and incorporate as many fixes as I can. Also I'll be making a standard TXU compatible version as well for all you Non-Xtended players - although seriously, you're missing out. Bear in mind this mod was built and intended for XTM, so go and get it - it's the new Awesome..

Military Hud MKII
      This has evolved much from my earliest mod to something that has become an integral part of CmodII. Due to its popularity I have made it available as a separate Plugin here, so any who want to use the Military hud separately from CModII can do so.

Installation information:
      This install is modular in design and simple to use - The basic install by itself is all you require to play but you can also choose to add some or all of the optional 'Secondary Plugins'. They add several features and can be loaded in any combination or order you like. These plugins also be used independently od CMODII if you wish to do so. It is Important that you do not mix XTM and TXU versions together.

Project Update: Coming Soon after Xtm 0.7.4
      Cmod 1.10 - Railguns, Long range missiles, Seismic charges, etc.
      Military Hud MkII (Obsidian)
      Speed Boost v1.1, +33%

__________________________________________________ _________________
      Downloads
      *Check your tags* (XTM) for Xtended 7.3+, (TXU) for Plain X3 reunion 2.1+

Main Install

Combat Mod 2 v 1.10 for XTM For Xtended

Combat Mod 2 v 1.09 for TXU For Vanilla

CmodII Terran Conflict (for X-TC only) In production, e.t.a. first release: 2 weeks.
      CmodII New Horizons (for NHmod)

Plugins - Xtm 0.7.4
      Military Hud MkII (Xtended + TXU) Graphical Interface for CmodII *Recommended*
      Open.Combat.System. - Apollo scripts, (Xtended + TXU) By Laureati *Recommended*
      No Civilians Plugin v1.10 (Xtended Only)
      Speed Boost v 1.10 (Xtended Only)
      Sensor Boost (Xtended + TXU)
      Crew Chatter Ambience (Xtended + TXU)
      Argon Battleship Camouflage (Xtended + TXU) - updating as 'Warpaint' for all races.

Other stuff: Media, Guides.
      Combat Mod II Survival Guide
      CmodII v1.10 stats spreadsheet

X1, The Pirates.com, hosting by SSwamp Trooper

Youtube Preview
      Performance Boost Demo
      Install Guide
      __________________________________________________ _________________

Savegame Compatibility
      If you install any of these files halfway through a game: It *shouldn't* break your save games as far as i can tell, i've taken care not to break savegames - nobody likes to start again from fresh. This mod also works with save-games that have custom ships intalled through the plugin manager. There's no possible script conflicts with the main mod, namely because I've added none (so that any custom scripts you have will be unaffected). Overall I'm confident this mod is very - if not 100% - X-Plugin Manager and savegame friendly.

Note about Apollo AI
      If you unistall the directors cut or the apollo ai plugin without replacing the !fight.attack.object script afterwards, then none of the enemy will attack or react to attacks any more. If you forgot to make a backup of your original script, get a replacement here:
      !Fight.attack.object.pck replacement
      Drop it in your scripts folder to restore the original A.I.

Last edited by ulfius; 07-06-2009 at 12:52 PM.
      "but don't quote me on that." - Ulfius

Combat Mod 3
      57 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

ulfius      £ 0.00

Exclamation Mod: Combat Mod II V1.01

**This Post under daily construction - check back for more later***
      Ok. Time for more Information. I could write three pages covering all of this, theres so much to cover I'm not sure where to start - so I'll try and be as relevant and brief as possible with eveything clearly marked, that way you can skip to anything that interests you. There is also an Excel spreadsheet detailing all stat changes - If you want to know more about something then post questions.

Credit due to TheDeadlyShoe who inspired me to restart this mod. http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=11301 Please send rep his way.

Shields:

Recharge times
      Shields have been altered to be much more an active part of combat, working to the benefit of the A.I. as well as the player. In this mod Shield regeneration rates increase exponentially, especially for lighter classes. As an example the 5mj shield took a full minute to recharge - an eternity in a fight, now it takes 20 seconds. 1mj just 15 seconds and 25mj is now 51 seconds down from 1.7 minutes. The Humble 1mj shield has been doubled to 2mj also, so M5's are no longer flimsy mosquitoes waiting to be fried by a single B-HEPT Bullet.

Summary:
      - A.I Fighters are more efficient, increased survival.
      - Capships aren't 'eaten' easily by small craft wearing down their shields.
      - A.I. Battles last 2-3x as long.
      - M5 can shake off B-HEPT hit.
      - More durable fighters. Very Good chance of recovery after shield loss.
      - 1gj, 5gj, and10gj shields take less time to recharge. 5gj recharge time bought in line with scale curve.

I was delighted with the results this has in combination with the weapon changes, an A.I. only dogfight between m5, m3 and m4 is quite a show, often lasting minutes - yet intense enough that a fighter will go down in seconds if caught off guard.. A full Excel spreadsheet of shield changes can be found in the Stats Documentation.

Missiles
      Missiles behave much differently, generally they are very much faster and worth investing in to take down your opponents. Missile lifespan has been reduced, so that A) your not dodging the same missile for 2 minutes, and B) spam is reduced for performance improvements.
      Summary:
      - Missiles are generally faster by 50-100ms
      - Aurora missiles have an area effect of 400m - "khaak cluster? what khaak cluster?"
      - Most missiles have a lifespan of 30s to reduce spam. Stops wasps, dumbfires and hornets lingering for over 2 minutes.
      - Wasp and swarm missiles have a refire rate of 5 sec to stop A.I. Spamming.

Graphics, Interface Visuals.
      Icons and Interface, If you've tried the original Dynamic Combat Mod, or the Military Hud mod, you'll be no stranger to the eye candy and cosmetic changes this mod includes. I've done a little more, redrawn the weapons Icons, tweaked the hud and altered some parts according to previous feedback.

Something else I've decided to add is the ability to distinguish/identify tech factories on the galaxy map visually, at a glance with color pips. It's a great idea, but not mine. I saw it in another different Hud mod and wanted to make my own version, this too will be included. it's a great idea, no more trawling through pages of text on sector maps, going cross-eyed looking for a single flak array forge etc. etc.

- Tech factories you I.D. visually on universe map, i.e. Green pip: Hept forge. Gold pip: production complexes.
      - Hopefully Same for shield factories, missile complexes.
      - Revamped weapon icons.
      - Military hud + gravidar included, naturally.
      - Recolored laser/ppc effects also.
      - Custom ship paint jobs, military camouflage/designs for most races available as plugins.

Weapons:
      Two stages to this part of the mod and believe me, a lot of work has gone into the mechanics and development. Some weapons have undergone a complete overhaul while others have been tweaked subtly to bring out their best style of play. Nothing feels unbalanced (though some weapons specialize in killing a particular class of ship) and overall feels great to play.

Gameplay and combat:
      First part is changing the weapon stats, this is probably the biggest part of CMod2. Both Small and Large changes made such a huge difference to game play. I first discovered this with Dynamic combat 1, where it was mentioned that the A.I. had become more efficient somehow in respect to combat.
      With that in mind I went about changing weapons to compliment both the A.I. behavior, and the feel of combat. The result is longer, more satisfying and intense combat. While damage factors have been reduced greatly nothing feels underpowered. Damage still scales from light weapons to heavy, however, each weapon has its own advantages so you'll no longer instantly reach for HEPT/PPC as the weapon of choice.
      Summary:
      - PPC turret turn rate greatly increased, no more mouse thrashing to turn 10 degrees left, etc etc.
      - PPC Speeds now 500m/s+ instead of 222-285m/s
      - Hull damage reduced 100-200%, shield loss is not Game Over. Hull lasts long enough to jumpdrive.
      - Shield damage adjusted, longer battles, weapons fit specific roles, less insta-kill I.S./O.O.S.
      - Overall rate of fire decreased, velocity increased, A.I. likes this very much.
      - PPC strength/stats readjusted, Capship battles last minutes, not seconds.
      - Weapon conversion: CIG is now anti fighter, effective against M5,M4.
      - Weapon types all have advantages, Heavier not necessarily better.
      - IRE damage increased, take down M3 in an M5 without struggling with energy lvls - if you have the talent.
      - Energy requirements lessened, no more waiting on the tail of large prey waiting for laser charge.

Performance friendly changes:
      second is to reduce the 'spam' factor, where tons of projectiles overload your graphics card and slow the game to a stuttering crawl - Most noticable with PPC fire. I've made every effort to reduce spam so that large scale battles no longer cripple your pc. This is especially so in capship battles. You should find that they are a breeze performance-wise..
      - Graphics Demand in drawing PPC projectiles reduced to roughly 10%-20% of original factors.
      - All weapon spam reduced significantly.
      - Performance Issues with PSG, HEPT ION and PAC effects addressed.

Gameplay.
      Tactics, Overall.
      As has been hinted at, this is the major element of CMOD2. Combat has been turned on its head, especially in A.I. vs A.I. skirmishes. Heavier is not necessarily better in regard to weapons missiles or ships, correct tactics will seriously alter the outcome of a fight. I.e. An A.I controlled cerberus with a small fighter screen of m5/m4 can take down a titan. 6 discoverers distracting a cerberus while 3xFirestorm are launched from 40km away, look at the new stats and make new plans.

- Fighter Vs fighter: lighter is better on a credit vs credit basis. 2xm5 > 1xm4, 2xm4 > 1xM3
      - High endurance, wingmen/fighters won't die on the first pass, survive longer and fight harder.
      - Expensive is not necessarily better in many cases. Considered approach, great tactics on a modest budget.
      - Capship battles: Epic, lasting, satisfying, not 'dodgeball' played with PPC.
      - More captures, due to less hull damage and other factors.

A.I:
      In terms of A.I., combat as you know it has changed, I was delighted in how its become more challenging, efficient and durable. One of the most interesting is the change in roles and behavior of different craft, most noticeably the fighter class.

A computer controlled m4 is now very effective in attacking and 1-1 can take on an m3 with a 50/50 chance of sucess - thats a big credit/kill ratio. M3's behave more like bombers; slow and heavy but the only fighter capable of punching through 1gj shields while withstanding capital ship guns/anti fighter weapons, though they will fall prey to A.I. M4 fighters.
      The m5 is also much more potent. With better shielding and stronger guns it is an excellent choice also. In the role of interceptor it is unequaled, capable of taking down m3 and m4 in superior numbers or harassing them endlessly in lesser numbers.

- A.I. Makes good use of changes to become a challenging opponent. Fighter combat revolution.
      - Enhanced survivability of Player controlled (A.I.) Fleet.
      - Tactics: Combat no longer mainly decided by 'most expensive ship wins': Lighter = Better in some cases.
      - Fighters fit into specific roles. M3 = Bomber, M4 = Air superiority, M5 = Interceptor, Harasser.

Out of Sector
      I've done as much as I can here, all said, O.O.S. combat is very stable with no weird anomalies - like a three busters taking out a Cerberus. I'd like to mention that, (as with vanilla unmodded x3) OOS Combat results, even with the new stat changes are still way off I.S. but this will always be the case due to the ass-about-face way OOS works out combat.
      Testing the results of unmodded OOS combat I found that an A.I. controlled titan can easily eat 20 novas - something unheard of In.Sector. It's down to the simplified layout of O.O.S. calculations (assumes that a ship can bring all it's guns to bear at once, has unlimited energy and hits 100% of the time). Destroyers with PPC's have an huge and unfair advantage in this case, and anything I do to remedy that will completely mess up In-Sector combat regarding fighters vs capships..
      In this case I consider it a success that you will notice little to no difference from the original X3 OOS combat and that you can expect roughly the same results
      Summary:.
      - O.S. Combat Predictable, stable.
      - Comparable to standard X3.
      - Combat lasts 2-3x longer here too.
      - Interesting to watch, chance of recovery, no insta-kill except vs capship.

Ships: No civilians, Invasion fleets

Well, most times I admire X3's depth of gameplay, but when it comes to civ ships like 'Argon Interior Decorators' I just say Lol, Whut. Why? So, no civilians in this mod, they take up cpu time and are totally unnecessary. Lets save it for something worthwhile.

With the civilian ships removed it makes a little room for something I've been hungering for, a couple of invasion fleets. You know, something to do with your new m0 leviathan. With the C.M.2 you'll find: 1 Khaak invasion fleet, and 1 Xenon invasion fleet within the x-universe, you'll know of their presence in a sector by the apparent lack of stations, ships, life-forms and, in fact, any remaining complex atoms.

- No civilian Ships.
      - 1x Khaak Invasion fleet: average 4 destroyers, 6 frigates, 8 corvettes, 12 clusters.
      - 1x Xenon Exterminator fleet: 3xK 4xL 8xP,raider 18xL

Music?
      The mod I use for myself incorporates lots of original Home-world battle music, (games bought and paid for) be warned this music probably wont make it into the mod, permission is required from Relic Entertainment, plus mokonzi's blessing and lots of other factors are required, it'll only happen if I'm totally 100% sure that nobody will get into trouble and everything is cool with copyright. Maybe I'll be making my own music scores - All big maybes in the far distance.

It's worth noting that the source code for homeworld was release in 2003 and relic seems to have been bought out by THQ - which explains my difficulty in getting a reply from relic about using the soundtrack.

Faster Ships: ?

The speed boost mod adds on a +33% increase of max speed for nearly every ship in the game, may not soundlike much but it makes a huge difference. This plugin is still still experimental as I'm playing with values that can break save-games, with over 1000 different changes/variables needed for the speed boost mod it's one of the more time consuming plugins.

- All ships are +33% faster, in the case of pirates, +50%.
      - A.I. Corvettes useful, more maneuverable and faster.
      - Space suits have a velocity of 50m/s - so if you have to bail you wont spend an hour (without SETA) crawling to the nearest station. This also makes capturing live cargo (i.e. slaves) a fun challenge.

Future project goals:
      Xtm 0.74 compatible version. - Done
      NH compatible version.
      Terran conflict.

Last edited by ulfius; 20-08-2008 at 04:05 PM.
      29 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

TheDeadlyShoe      £ 0.00

Hmm... you sure about increasing PBE range? They are pretty nasty as is.

Not just another exploding patient to sweep under the rug.
      0 0 0

Credits
      is searching for time

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Xelonir - {JSM}      £ 0.00

OK, I had a look at those numbers ... maybe a little summary for those who don't like to look at numbers:

(a) Increased damage for IREs, reduced damage for all others

(b) reduced "Spam" value for all except Flak and PBE (who have rather low values anyway)

(c) Weapon range was increased a bit for a couple of weapons.

Considering that you increase shield efficiency, (a) probably leads to battles taking much longer ... that's nice. Should also increase the duration of OOS fights.

Point (b) will probably reduce the performance issues a bit, so that's also good.
      Personally, though, I'm a bit annoyed by the flaks, so having them fire at me at even higher rates is something that has me worried. In that regard I prefer the current XTM aproach: lower RPM, higher damage.

And (c) might help a bit with the Fighter vs. cap ship (vs collision detection) problem.
      Maybe increase them even more? And is there a way to make the crosshair show up from more than ~4.5km away?

Last edited by 2Blackhawk; 21-09-2008 at 12:53 PM.
      0 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

ulfius      £ 0.00

PBE effectiveness drops sharply at ranges beyond 1km due to their low accuracy, factor in lower fire rate and stuff they work well. I'll make sure they dont end up becoming overpowering.

>Dogfights and battles last much longer, yet are also more intense/satisfying. None of that 10-second dogfight nonsense leaving you wishing there was more.
      >Spam: yes it does, I've gotten much positive feedback on this in the past. It makes a huge difference. Capship battles run a lot smoother.
      >Extended ranges work well, but doesn't do much for collision, fighters only pull out of a strafe when their guns are dry, might tweak energy usage to see if something can be done.

Thanks Xelonir, l like your mods, especially the new dragonhunters script

Currently buried in photoshop and dds graphics files, looking good.
      Phase 1: Stats -
      Missiles
      Guns
      Bullets
      Shields
      Effects
      tJobs
      Phase 2: Testing -
      In.Sector.
      Out.Of.Sector.
      Ftr Vs Capship
      Ftr Vs Ftr
      Capship vs Capship
      Phase 3: Graphics -
      Hud
      Weapons
      Factory I.D. Tags/Pips <<< You are here.
      Ship Paint jobs
      Missiles
      Interface
      Phase 4: Sounds -
      Phase 5: Performance issues/bugfixes -

Last edited by ulfius; 24-05-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Combat Mod 3
      0 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Jey 16      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

I hate the laser recharge time.
      Mhhhhhhh waiting behind this stupid LX until my lasers have recharged ..... BOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIING

This is a cool dogfight ^^ but actually imposible in X

TXU info: Please use "reputation points system": so people can see who helps the most.
      TXU info: Bitte benutze das "TXU Ansehenssystem": , sodass man sehen kann, wer der Community hilft.

<< The XTended way of life >>
      0 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

SeraphX17      £ 0.00

I can't wait to see how this will turn out. I would love to see perhaps better AI that actually pays attention to allied ships in the area and actually assist them, say a ship is being hammered in a fight, the reacting fighter or Corvette targets that ship and tries to pull it off the distressed ship or destroys it. Of course this would also apply to large patrol groups in order to curve the losses in their favor by preserving allies instead of blindly choosing the nearest target or only protecting their assigned ship.

This could also be applied to all fighting able ships, as a way to keep the player from picking on targets far away from a group and being under no danger. It might actually make small fighter battles a little more harrowing in the sense that if you take on a single fighter and are alone, you will die without extreme caution. I also believe that this would help up the ante in larger sector battles as even ships launched from TL/M1 will not only defend the mother ship but anyone who comes under too much fire, say 40% shield left. Along with your more efficient shields and improved weapon values could make for some extremely challenging battles(This translates both ways for player and AI).

0 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

ulfius      £ 0.00

K guys, this is my proposal for the new PSG effect.
      The mass driver bullet as an area effect, looks nice no?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHCqgVafeY

Before you get exited there's a problem that it doesn't have a collision mesh like the original PSG projectile. It can't hit anything, I don't have the modeling skill to make it behave like a psg projectile, so please would someone help me out? Not sure what needs to be done but the body file is a mass driver bullet (10436) and I think it needs a collision mesh.

Combat Mod 3
      0 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Draxis      £ 0.00

brilliant! That i like. Did you make the mass driver effect bigger or something?

M. Von Draxis, Professional Privateer - Bringing Class to Piracy Since X2: The Threat

My guides for mercenaries, pirates and privateers:
      The Professional Privateer: A Guide for the Discerning Pirate
      The Pirate's Hand Book
      0 0 0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

ulfius      £ 0.00

Edit: Was wrong about this, OOS is affected by stat changes, post left up for reference

Phase 2: Testing
      Half a day wasted, what a downer.
      I'm reaching for the cold beer even as I write this.

I've been play testing hours and hours of O.O.S. (Out-Of-Sector) combat today to check balancing - only to find that OOS *completely* ignores weapon stat changes anyway. How do I know this? I whacked the A-hept up to 2,000,000 damage and set 20 novas loose on a titan.

It still ate them all, yes, all 20 novas. To confirm my theory about OOS I jumped in sector and the titan 'asploded in under 1.3 seconds. Obviously O.O.S. is hard coded and there's nothing much I can do about that. Shield stat changes do have an affect however, so the recent changes have swung the balance a little more in favour of the heavies - but because a Titan can eat 20 novas (O.O.S., without mods) anyway, I'm not too worried about unbalancing OOS.

Positives: I carry on content in the knowledge that OOS doesn't give a flying fark what I do. The question of OOS being affected by weapon re-balancing is answered once and for all and I dont have to playtest dozens more simulations.

Negatives: Serious waste of time. I want my 7 hours back.

Last edited by ulfius; 24-05-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Combat Mod 3
      0 0 0