• Happy
  • Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Can the space suit be modded just like a ship..?

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Can the space suit be modded just like a ship..?

To those of you who may have experience using Doubleshadow's ship editor (or any other such tool if there are others), I have a question...

Is it possible to modify the space suit? I mean, it does have a weapon slot, obviously, for the repair laser... and it does have some statistics such as speed and maneuverability... I was just wondering if it would be possible to make it useful as an actual combat machine!

Here's what I'm thinking: use it for a "custom game start" in which the player is a member of a top-secret research initiative, and your assignment is basically to field-test a new power-armor suit. Give it a little bit of hull, maybe 5mj of shielding, some wicked speed and acceleration, and something like a Pulsed Beam Emitter.

Alternatively, for a less realistic (but possibly more fun) experience, you could make it more of a "battle mech" than a small space suit, and justify giving it maybe a 200mj shield and some kind of unique or rare weapon... maybe a single PPC, or one of those weapons you can never find in the game, like the PALC.. some kind of high-damage, capital ship gun like that. That way you could even try to tackle an M6 (or more if you're brave and can stay in the blind spots). Maybe even give it the ability to carry 10 or 20 missiles?

Can this be done? Sounds like it might be fun to try at least once...

The only problem I see is if all space suits in the game would have these properties.... you would NOT be happy when that pirate bails out of his M4 and suddenly you have a death machine to deal with...! But then again, I don't suppose the AI is programmed to attack in a space suit... right?

One way to find out!

Credits
      is relieved to be back!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Quasar - {SM} Points for Social Group Messages      £ 0.00

iirc the game treats the spacesuit as a ship when you're in space and as a ware when others are in them... so yes, it should be able to be modded, but note that you MUST be in it for the mod to take effect...

Help make this site even better! Donate >>here<< to TXU and become a TXU Chartered Member
      Please use the "reputation points system": (the star below left) so people can see who helps the most.

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

Ooo, that's good to know. Thank you!

Now I guess I have to be a brave little fella and see if I can figure out how to use the editor...

If I use the editor to modify my game's "ships" file, it will affect any savegame that I load afterwards, won't it? I'm really trying to finish all the plots with a totally unmodified game before I start using mods and scripts... so I guess I'll have to wait before I try the space suit mod idea. If and when I ever get around to it, I'll be sure to report back here and let you guys know whether or not it was any fun....

Credits
      is relieved to be back!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Quasar - {SM} Points for Social Group Messages      £ 0.00

be sure to save any file you intend to mod before you do anything... as unintended things sometimes happen, and they can break the game...

Help make this site even better! Donate >>here<< to TXU and become a TXU Chartered Member
      Please use the "reputation points system": (the star below left) so people can see who helps the most.