Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

crapshot      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default m6's and how equip em

ive recently got myself a heavy dragon havent quite kitted it out yet and wanted to see how people have got there m6s equiped with and what m6 they use cus im having trouble manuvering this dragon trying to catch little m5s and some times m4s is tough work doesnt turn quick enough

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

That's one of the reasons I personally don't use the M6 class much.... they're not very maneuverable, but they don't really pack the punch of a frigate, either. Not only that, but you have chosen one of the least maneuverable of the M6 class! The Heavy Dragon has a turn rate of 2.73 rpm, meaning it takes 22 seconds to turn it around 360 degrees. That's a long time. In comparison, a "regular" Dragon (non-heavy) has a turning rate of 3.78 rpm, or under 16 seconds for a complete turn.

Now, here's the funny part: the Split Tiger and Panther both have a turn rate of 3.92 rpm, which is even faster than the "light" Dragon. Yes, those are frigates (M7 class)! They have 3 GJ of shields (five times as much as your Heavy Dragon), have about three times the laser energy, mount more and bigger guns, and the Panther can also have 32 fighters in its hangar bays! They can also mount Flak Artillery Arrays, which are absolutely amazing for killing fighters (especially M4 and M5, which usually die in one hit). The Flak is fired by the computer, and it never misses. In fact, the Panther doesn't even have "main" guns like the Tiger does... instead, it has a front turret with 6 slots, so the computer fires that also. I thought I would hate that until I tried it... but it turns out the computer is a MUCH better shot than me!

BUT.... you were asking about the M6 class, not the M7, sorry. If you really want to use one, and you like the Split version, I would recommend you get the regular Dragon instead of the heavy. Here's why:

Faster (172 vs. 161)
      More maneuverable (see above)
      More cargo space (930 vs. 675)
      Mounts the exact same weapons (except the top turret)

The only drawbacks are 200 MJ less shielding, slightly less laser energy (15,700 vs. 17,525), and one slot in the turret instead of four. The NICE thing about both ships is that they can mount Ion Shard Railguns on the front, which are better than CIGs for an M6 weapon. In fact, I have ISRs on the front of my Panther, and only 6 of them... you can have 8 on your Dragon! And actually, looking at it again, it seems the Heavy Dragon can mount ISRs on the top turret, while the Dragon can't.

If you want to keep your Heavy Dragon, here's what I would recommend: put 8 Ion Shard Railguns on the front and four Pulsed Beam Emitters on the top turret. Set the turret in the command console (shift+C) to "Attack Enemies." You can hit M3 and bigger ships easily with the ISRs, and that turret will utterly shred M4 and M5 ships as soon as they get in range. This leaves you with no missile defense, but that's what the extra 200 MJ of shielding is for, right?

If you decide to try a regular Dragon, I would put a single PBE in the turret and change its command to "Missile Defense." A PBE is fantastic for missile defense because of its speed.

Or, if you really want to dominate in these fighter encounters, get a Tiger or a Panther and mount Flak Artillery Arrays in every turret and set them all to Attack Enemies, then put ISRs on the front and use those against bigger ships. Note that the Panther can mount more Flak than the Tiger can (4 per turret on the top, bottom, and back as opposed to only 2 per turret on the Tiger). The Panther also has that hangar for 32 ships, making it great to carry all your favorite toys around, AND to do ship retrieval missions, AND to pick up captured fighters when enemies bail out. (Can you tell I have a favorite ship??)

You can always make a save game and then buy a different ship just to try it out. Call it a "test drive"...

I personally think the Argon Heavy Centaur is the nicest LOOKING M6, by the way... and it can mount Ion Disruptors in the turrets, which makes it totally immune to missiles. Unfortunately, it can't mount Ion Shard Railguns in the front, leaving you stuck with CIGs. There again, if you go Argon, I would get the regular, non-heavy Centaur. It's not as cool looking (in my opinion), but it has 8 guns up front instead of 6, and of course it's faster and has more cargo space. (Which means more missiles, which means even more firepower!)

Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun. If you do test different ships, I would be curious to know which one you like best and why! I always like to hear how other people play. Good luck!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

crapshot      £ 0.00

thanks again for the advice you've been giving me on the site Sam and after reading your info about M7's i feel like a prat why didnt i check out there stats lol i think my mind was clouded at the thought of getting rid of my perseus raider lol and i think i might have a look into the M7s ill start another thread on M7s to keep everybody happy as they dont like off topic if you would give me some advice on that thread it would be greatly appreciated, Many thanks again, Paul

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

@ Sam

Fine post! Rep for that...

I think in vanilla X3:TC the M7 vessels are much over-powered. If you have a Tiger you can achieve almost anything, even kill a race M2 (at least pass any main quests). But there is something you should consider about all M6 - the costs of an average M6 (beside the Boron Heavy Hydra) are approx. 14 Mio credits. But the price of a M7 is over 50 Mio credits. So if you start up an X-careers that will mean something. The Split Dragon has been my favorite M6 for X2 & X3:R but now they cripled the poor bugger... no more APPC!

I'm very curious about you writing a review about one of the ships you mentioned...might be very interessting!

B76

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")