Credits
      is soooo relaxing right now

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Kalah      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default X3TC has DRM?

The X3TC wiki says that the game uses DRM, more specifically Tagès. Is this true?

Does the game work without a CD in the drive?
      Is there a support system in place if you break the CD?
      How does this affect the next extended mod?

Credits
      is Very Busy

I am:
      Hungry

Total Contributions For

SSwamp_Trooper - {M}      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalah View Post
      The X3TC wiki says that the game uses DRM, more specifically Tagès. Is this true?

Does the game work without a CD in the drive?
      Is there a support system in place if you break the CD?
      How does this affect the next extended mod?
      X3TC does have tages, however you can install the DVD version multiple times on the same pc and other pcs and doesn't affect the xtended mod. Don't know about breaking the DVD .

I can't tell tages is installed but yes you need the DVD in the drive.

(I have the DVD version and not steam)

Hope that helps

SS_T

Credits
      is trying to understand applied
      mechanics

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Mapper484 - {SM}      £ 0.00

Tages is the Copy-Protection not DRM. There are no limitations how often you can install X3:TC from the DVD.

If the DVD is unusable/broken when you copy arrives you should contact the trader or the shop whre you bought it and ask for a replacement.

Click the star below here to give me some Reputation please

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

KaZuma      £ 0.00

Tages is pretty tame compared to other forms of DRM, like Starforce (which, to this day, is still pretty draconian with people's DVD/CD drives), or the even worse off EA system, only allowing 3 installs beforeforcing you to buy another copy.

Tages only needs to have the DVD of X3TC in the drive when you play. Just like the old days...

KaZ-Tech Industries
      We create solutions, quick!

Credits

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Kalah      £ 0.00

Well, this certainly made my decision on whether or not to buy the game easier... as a principle, I never buy games with copy protection - learned my lesson looong ago. I actually tend to make myself a back-up copy or two, in case the disc gets lost or cracked - I usually play them with a backup in the drive and the original safely stored in my collection cupboard.

Perhaps the producers will remove the protection when the game is no longer new. I'm not in a hurry; I can wait a couple of years.

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

Kalah,

I bought the game from Steam and have had no problems other than the initial setup of the game. (The authentication server must have been down when I first tried it, because it worked properly the next morning!)

Tages is copy protection AND digital rights management... the two are virtually identical terms. Yes, it keeps you from (easily) copying the CD, but it also requires you to log into an authentication server and verify your installation of the game.

What's funny is - even the Steam version has the Tages DRM. Like I said, I had to log into the Tages server during my (Steam) installation.

HOWEVER - do NOT let that stop you from buying this game. This is one of the finest, most enjoyable video games you will ever play. And if you're really paranoid about always having a backup copy (like I am also!) then do what I did - buy it on Steam to play it, and buy another copy on DVD (I got mine from gogamer.com) to have as a "future-proof" backup. I've also been downloading the various patch files from Egosoft in case I ever do need to use the DVD version, but I probably never will.

Here's the thing about Steam - you know how you like to keep your original DVDs in a cupboard? Well... Steam is a high-tech cupboard. Once you buy a game on Steam, you ALWAYS have access to it. You never have to hunt for the CD/DVD, because you can just download the games you've bought (and the manuals for them!) any time you want.

I'm not trying to advertise Steam, or persuade anyone to use it who doesn't want to... I'm just saying that I've been using it for years and have never had the SLIGHTEST problem with it. Same goes with most DRM. A lot of people whine and fuss and cry about the great big evil DRM, but I have never had any problem with it. (Well, I did have two different CD writers go belly-up, and it MIGHT have been because of Starforce, but then again it might not. I do avoid games with Starforce, just in case, but I've never had any problem out of any other form of DRM.)

If you REALLY want to avoid the Tages process altogether (although there is no real reason to do so), then find a cracked version of the game and then BUY IT ANYWAY so that Egosoft will get the money they deserve, and we'll get the next game all the sooner. (I have done that before... I always pay for my games for honesty's sake, but sometimes I'll run a cracked version just to avoid having to put a disc in the drive. I game on a PC, not a stupid console, and I don't want to have to jam a disc in the drive when I change my mind about what game to play!)

Get the game, you won't regret it.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

KaZuma      £ 0.00

Knowing Egosoft's past actions with any form of copy-protection, they often remove it 2+ years after the game has hit the market. Considering their actions, they probably share the same sentiment as you, Kalah, do with said "DRM".

They probably would like none of it.

Considering their choice to begin with, it seems that they added the copy-protection as a "feel-good" measure, at least for the publisher concerned. I mean, if I were a publisher of videogames, I'd like some form of piracy protection so as not to lose potential revenue.

The attitude of game developer/publisher teamups in regards to the DRM issue are either forced, or draconian (see EA and their stupid-as-<expletive> 3installsyourout scheme), when in reality, it should be something integral to enjoying the game.

For example, having pirates pirate your game out is fine and all, but having it have a proper multiplayer component wherein only a legitimate copy would work is a good incentive for prospective piraters to not go ahead and torrent the game, but instead buy it to enjoy it completely.

Gamers are finickey types. They want EVERYTHING of a game they're interested in, not half-baked deals, even if its free.

See the Battlefield series, they succeeded as an IP and as a game for the sole purpose of having most of the gameplay in a properly done multiplayer component. In fact, most, if not all, of the Battlefield series of games are pure multiplayer (with half-thought-about singleplayer in the form of bots), and they suceeded in sales and in the game itself.

If game developers and publishers followed the idea of integrating a large part of the game in something that can be controlled (i.e. legit copies enjoy it whilst pirated ones dont), they suceed in both the market and combating piracy. Heck, the piracy that often happens to triple A titles, if they have a proper online/multiplayer component that will be lacking in pirated copies, can actually improve sales, as pirated copies start acting as psuedo-demo's to the actual game...

I could go on a tangent more, but I digress. This is X3TC we're talking about after all.

In regards to copy-protection, Tages is very tame, I can assure you. All it does is check whether or not the CD/DVD is in the drive when you start the game executable. If not, it just stops it and quits the executable. Its nowhere near like other DRM issues, with many loopholes and root-kit-like behavior...

Egosoft, by their pattern of actions, could probably have the copy-protection-removal patch imbedded in their upcoming 2.0 patch.

KaZ-Tech Industries
      We create solutions, quick!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Erlkoenig      £ 0.00

Aight, now I don't pirate software, but DRMs (at least most of the time) install subprocesses on your HDD without your permission, which are said to search for telltale signs of pirated software.
      First of all, that's probably not all they do, probably save your search history and things like that.
      Second, despite not pirating software, I don't want some random program monitoring my computer. It's called a Personal Computer for a reason. It's mine, stay out of it. Even if the NSA does monitor all public communications.
      I probably sound like a conspiracy theorist now.

Sanity is a Matter of Perspective.
      -Me
      Sager NP5792. 2.5GHz Penryn T9300/4GB RAM/XP SP2/Nvidia Geforce 8700M GT 512MB DDR3/200GB 7200RPM HDD...and some other important stuffzorz

Got X3TC off of Steam, Ego seems to have left out a bit though Overall it seems good though, vast improvement over Vanilla X3R

Credits

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Kalah      £ 0.00

Yeah, I just don't like it either, and I choose to "vote with my dollars" as they say... When I buy a game, I like to do whatever I want with it, such as making back-up copies in case I accidentally break or lose the original (which has happened in the past).

I hope they do remove it after a couple of years, so that I can at least consider buying it. In the mean time, I'll play XTM

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

coldwhitelight      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Erlkoenig View Post
      Aight, now I don't pirate software, but DRMs (at least most of the time) install subprocesses on your HDD without your permission, which are said to search for telltale signs of pirated software.
      First of all, that's probably not all they do, probably save your search history and things like that.
      Second, despite not pirating software, I don't want some random program monitoring my computer. It's called a Personal Computer for a reason. It's mine, stay out of it. Even if the NSA does monitor all public communications.
      I probably sound like a conspiracy theorist now.
      Most current virus protection software does dislike rootkits and monitoring programs and - at the very least - warns you about its existence.
      If the conspiracy exists and the virus protection manufacturers are in on it, that won't do you any good of course