• Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Enhanced Dolphin (warning, possible SPOILER!)

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default The Enhanced Dolphin (warning, possible SPOILER!)

Okay, so if anyone has NOT heard of this ship and/or doesn't know how to acquire it, I warned you fair and square in the subject that this post might contain a spoiler for you. If you don't like such spoilers, and you're saying "Enhanced Dolphin? What's that?" then GO AWAY NOW!

For the rest of you...

I mean seriously, what's up with this thing, anyway? We're up to patch 1.4 now, and the game is still perfectly willing to hand the player a COMPLETELY INDESTRUCTIBLE SHIP?? You don't even have to pay for it, you just do one simple mission and bang, here's your invulnerable ship, go play in a Xenon sector and have fun! Granted, it would be even more horribly unfair if you could put a GUN on it, even on a rear turret... but it CAN mount a few missile types (and carry many hundreds of them, too... I have 1,000 Wasps on board at the moment....)

So here's my reason for this post... I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know if Egosoft plans to remove this "superman" ship from the game? I couldn't see anything about it in the pre-release notes for the 2.0 patch.

2. What kinds of uses have you guys found for it? This is the part I really want to hear!

Obviously, it's great for sending into hostile sectors to scout out enemy presence (and even draw enemies away from a jumpgate for instance). It's NOT very useful for actual combat... I flew into a Kha'ak swarm and got so frustrated because I couldn't actually kill them all.... my Wasps were getting blown up and/or flying around without actually hitting any targets (apparently Flails have MUCH better targeting systems than Wasps), and I couldn't manage to ram all the scouts. I think I gave up when I got 'em down to about 4 ships, and then I just flew to the nearest Orbital Weapons Platform and politely asked it for help. It launched fighters and, when I got in range, started firing something like 38 CIGs. I'm sure a lot of them hit me, but of course it didn't matter! I've heard of people using it to ram capital ships to death. What about you guys? Any fun tricks for the flying green brick of doom?

P.S. I renamed mine "Bulletproof" and have been flying it around as a personal ship. I put all the extensions I could find on it, and apparently they are NOT at risk of being destroyed when I get hit (tested this out on a couple of asteroids in addition to the Kha'ak cluster!), so that's nice to know... I'd hate to lose a jump drive and/or my SETA and be stuck somewhere in a ship that only does 102 m/s, lol...

P.P.S. Okay, I guess a third question might be:

3. Is there anyone who simply refuses to use it because it's obviously an exploit? (If so, you're a better man than I am!)

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

I got this ship and i didn't use it!

But to be honest - i simply didn't noticed the fact that it is indistructable.

Thanks for the advice. But i think i won't use it as a player ship. I guess it takes away a lot of fun and excitement if you know you can't be harmed. It is fun when you achieved anything or destroyed a bigger enemy just because you are good not because you are invulnable. That doen't mean anyone else who use it is a bad man...

Spoiler-Warning!

I can imagine this vessel to be useful for scouting or to use it as a tank or decoy. I mean, remember the missions from Final Fury Quest? You jump into a sector with lots of Kha'ak ships. They where all around you and engage from every direction at the same time.

If you send the Enhanced Dolphin first and order it to move far from the ecliptic. The Kha'ak should follow it straight. (Used a Disco instead, but sometimes it was to fast) When the capital ships are about 30 or 40 km away from the centre of the sector, you jump in and order the Dolphin to jump out. The Kha'ak will turn immediately to you. Set your turrets on 'destroy all enemies' and head slowly into the direction the Kha'ak are coming from. In this way they don't engage from all around you but from one vector only. First the fast fighters, later corvettes and capital ships. So you can face them one by one and you are not taking to much damage because you streched the field of enemies to a thin line.

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")

Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

B76, that's a great tactic for doing Final Fury. I wish I had thought of it, even though I didn't have the Green Brick of Doom yet when I did it. I probably wouldn't have used it for that purpose, though, since it IS a major plot moment, and it's supposed to be a challenge. (Now, I might use it to do the same thing in a random sector cleanup in one of the Xenon or Kha'ak sectors later, but not in a main plot point like that. Just my way of looking at it.)

When I got to that part of Final Fury, and I realized there was no way to keep from being surrounded and attacked from all sides, I sent in five OTAS Boreas destroyers ahead of me and let them get the full attention of the Kha'ak. Then after a few moments, I jumped in with two missile frigates (with myself in the Aquilo because it has twice the shielding of the Cobra!) and let fly with about a million flails. Okay, maybe not a million.... but there was nothing left.

Then I discovered I had to fly like 250 km to get to the actual objective.... not fun at 63 m/s with those Boreas following me, lol....

But anyway, back to the Enhanced Dolphin! Anyone else have any cool uses for this thing? I was thinking (speaking of Final Fury) that I'd go back to those Kha'ak sectors and see if there are any wares left for me to pick up. I got the PALCs already, but who knows what else I might find in there?

(I'm glad I put "spoiler" in the subject now.)

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

K-64      £ 0.00

can it be reverse engineered, and if so, is it still indestructable?

Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

You know, I was wondering the same thing.... LOL. That would be totally insane....

If nothing else, you could have a universe full of indestructible UTs.

You'd have to get an answer from someone who understands more about how the "t-ships" file functions and how the reverse-engineering functions. I do know that the Enhanced Dolphin gets its invulnerability from the fact that it's a "plot" ship, i.e. if you blew it up the first time you saw it (or if pirates or Xenon or Kha'ak blew it up), then you would never be able to complete the HUB plot or get the PHQ afterwards. That would seriously break the game, so the devs gave that ship a "plot" flag somewhere in the game's code. If you've ever seen Argon One get into a firefight, you've seen the same thing, or if you've done the Aldrin mission where you have to strip the shields off of #deca. You can remove all the shields, but the hull will never go below 93%.

So the question is, if you reverse-engineer this ship, will the newly-built ships still have the "plot" flag? In other words, is it embedded in the ship file itself, or is it simply a flag that is set on individual ships when the game first starts? That would probably answer the question about reverse-engineering. Any modders here that would know how that flag is applied?

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Blog Entries

Another suggestion to make use of the E. Dolphin:

Put some mines (SQUASH- or ION- or Tracker-minnes) on board the ship. Order it to follow an enemy capital ship or close to an enemy fleet. Once it is close enough release all mines and make them self destruct immediately. I guess this will do some serious damage to nearby ships. You have to be IS to make an effort with this tactic because OOS the mines have no 'room'-effect. BUT: I didn't try yet - this is all theoretical!

Another question regarding indistructable ships like the Enhanced Dolphin.

What might happen if you order this ship to dock at one of your own stations and than start the self-destruction-sequence of this base... guess i will try...

Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

For that matter, what if you order the Enhanced Dolphin to self-destruct??

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by K-64 View Post
      Nope! (Thanks to Sartorie ) The Enhanced D. does not appear in the list of ships, you can revers engineer, when you dock it at the PHQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Redstone View Post
      For that matter, what if you order the Enhanced Dolphin to self-destruct??
      Self-destruction on this vessels is deactivated.

And to answer myself - Yes, the Dolphin is going to be destroyed when the station it is docked on, is ordered to self-destruct.

Btw - i was wrong about the mines. You DON'T have to be IS when you practice this tactic. It is still working when you are OOS. I wiped out a whole pirate convoi (1 Transporter, 2 BlastClaw prototyp, 2 Blastclaw, 2 Elite) with one single attack, using 8 Tracker-mines. Maybe less mines will do the job too, but i didn't try. If you produce the mines yourself this might be a funny way to wipe out your enemies. Otherwise this will be very expensive. One mine costs about 10.000 credits and shreds approx. 75 MJ shield-strength.

This might work with a fast M5 too - KAMIKAZE! Guess i have to try out. I think i have to open up a new 'list of pure evil' just for X3:TC.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

DRAGON      £ 0.00
      go straight from the sun and its the 3rd planet on the right you cant miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by K-64 View Post
      it can not be reverse engineered or sold

私は不品行な振舞いをうことを向ける
      ---
      すぐに野心来るため

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

K-64      £ 0.00

damn, it makes sense though, to prevent the player from having an invincible merchant fleet