Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Angel and Demon      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Starting off

After playing X3R with XTM for a number of years, I have finally succumbed to the seductive advertising and bought TC.

I was just wondering if any basic strategies had been discovered yet when you start a new game?

In X3R most people would dash up the Men's Frontier and grab the freebie ship, to sell if not to use. So it made me wonder if their are any "Most people usually do this" type of things found yet?

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

I am only on my first play-through of TC, so I can't necessarily say what's normal, but I can tell you (a) what I did to get started, and (b) there are lots of freebie ships to claim if you want to go that route!

To get my own game started, I read the section on "how to get started trading" in the game manual and followed it more or less exactly. It tells you which station to dock at, what to buy, where to sell it, etc. If you're feeling totally lost like I was, that will be a great help. Since you say you played X3R a lot, however, you probably don't have that "lost" feeling like I did.

As to derelict ships, let me tempt you with an evil spoiler....

This link will take you to a list of all the derelict ships:
      spoiler: http://eng.x3tc.ru/x3_tc_free/ships.php

That's 19 ships... ought to get you some spending money, and a couple of those would make very nice ships to fly. I would personally recommend the Advanced Perseus. Oh, and if you're going to go into business finding these derelicts and selling them, you might be safest in a fast ship, as some of them are in risky neighborhoods. The fastest ship you can buy in TC is (surprisingly) made by the Teladi, and it's called the Kestrel. It is faster than almost every missile in the game... and most of the weapons, too, for that matter. Just don't have an "accident" trying to steer it around obstacles at that speed.

One last thought.... right now (until patch 2.0) the highest payouts come from station-building missions. When you see an icon by a factory that looks like some green bricks stacked together, that's a "build" mission. If you accept one of those, you can simply hire a TL to buy the station for you and place it in the sector specified in the mission briefing. (Early in your game, you'll want to double check that you are allowed to purchase that kind of factory from that particular race... even if you're in really good with the Argon, for example, an Argon might ask you to build him a Split missile factory, and the Split may not be willing to sell you one! In that case, there is no way to succeed in that mission, so you'd better not accept it.)

G'luck!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Redstone View Post
      Since you say you played X3R a lot, however, you probably don't have that "lost" feeling like I did.
      Only with the interface...

As to derelict ships, let me tempt you with an evil spoiler....

This link will take you to a list of all the derelict ships:
      spoiler: http://eng.x3tc.ru/x3_tc_free/ships.php
      Thx for that, Just the type of thing I was looking for. Well for ships anyway.

One last thought.... right now (until patch 2.0) the highest payouts come from station-building missions. When you see an icon by a factory that looks like some green bricks stacked together, that's a "build" mission. If you accept one of those, you can simply hire a TL to buy the station for you and place it in the sector specified in the mission briefing. (Early in your game, you'll want to double check that you are allowed to purchase that kind of factory from that particular race... even if you're in really good with the Argon, for example, an Argon might ask you to build him a Split missile factory, and the Split may not be willing to sell you one! In that case, there is no way to succeed in that mission, so you'd better not accept it.)

G'luck!
      Damn, what's the betting I can't get enough cash together, to make some cash? lol

Last edited by Angel and Demon; 07-03-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

Yeah, that's the hard part about the station-building missions. I seem to recall once I had about 3-5 million, I could do most of them with no problem. Once you can afford to buy your own TL, though (28 mill for a Mammoth), it gets MUCH easier. Mostly because your own TL can be ordered to jump between sectors, while the ones you hire apparently don't have jump drives. (And it can take them around 10 minutes to cross each sector, so be mindful of that when you compare the time allowed for the mission with the number of sectors your hired TL will have to cross!)

You'll really need to do some trading before you can start building... not only to get that initial 3-5 million, but also to raise your trading rank. The higher your trade rank, the more you get paid for station building missions... BUT those same missions do NOT raise your trade rank! So you have to "buy low and sell high" in order to get your trade rank up. You can improve your race ranks at the same time, so it's a good idea to spend a little time "space trucking" even if you don't particularly enjoy it.

On the other hand, some people go for pure combat and never bother with trading or building, and they eventually get rich, too. The main problem with that approach is that your fight rank will increase too fast, meaning you'll be facing harder enemies before you've made enough money to buy a ship good enough to fight them. There are horror stories of people who are still stuck in an M3 because they can't even afford an M6, but the combat missions are spawning multiple destroyers!! That's why it's good to spend some time doing trading, building, exploring, etc. Or if you get that Kestrel, do some "taxi" missions (where people hire you to take them to a different station). All you need is a cargo life support system and I think 3 units of space for a passenger (it might be 6). Make sure they don't specifically say in the mission briefing "I require someone with a passenger transport ship" or something like that, because then you MUST have a TP class ship or they will not come aboard. I can't understand why.... I would MUCH rather ride in a Kestrel, even if I had to be taped to an old milk crate, than sit in a comfy couch on some slow old TP....

Kestrel: the roller coaster of space!

Anyway, happy profitssss...

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Thanks for the advice, seems pretty much like X3R for most of it.

Only thing I am having a problem with ATM is actually making some money. I haven't ventured outside of the Terran sectors yet (Terran start), but it seems making cash by trading is a lot harder than in X3R.

It may just be the Terrans as their economy seems a little... well, broken to me, so the main race sectors may be better for a trading life, I'll have to see.

I was once asked if I was an Angel or a Demon. I replied "Both, but which side you see will depend on you."

Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

You definitely need to get to Commonwealth (non-Terran) space before trading can really be done. The Terrans have no economy to speak of, but the other races have got quite a busy one going, don't worry!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Catra      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angel and Demon View Post
      Thanks for the advice, seems pretty much like X3R for most of it.

Only thing I am having a problem with ATM is actually making some money. I haven't ventured outside of the Terran sectors yet (Terran start), but it seems making cash by trading is a lot harder than in X3R.

It may just be the Terrans as their economy seems a little... well, broken to me, so the main race sectors may be better for a trading life, I'll have to see.
      hello thur

i like your sig =]

terran trade economy is abit borked right now =p
      the only real "trading" ya really get to do is trasnfer of personnel

the main races sectors are nice....especially the argon...their stations are always understocked (even when i was helping fill the gaps lol..some station somewhere was understocked)

happy..umm....credit hunting? =p