Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Capital-Ship Flamethrowers!?!

Okay, so.... story time.

I had never used any Paranid capital ships before... and by "capital," I mean M7 and up. Actually, I really hadn't used much of anything Paranid at all. I keep hearing what a great ship the Deimos is, so I bought one. I also wanted to try out the Paranid version of flak, which of course is the Phased Shockwave Generator (or PSG for short). This is, as you probably know, a strange weapon that fires a kind of giant mutating jelly-fish-like blob of energy, sort of an "energy wave" that grows larger as it travels away from the ship. I remember they could be mounted on fighters in X3R, but apparently in X3TC, they are only available as cap-ship guns. As a result, I had never tried them. But since I wanted to try a Deimos, I figured I might as well put some PSGs on it. So I converted my somewhat useless Paranid factory complex into a 6xPSG fab and outfitted my Deimos with 10 PSGs (2 in each of 5 turrets) and 8 Ion Shard Railguns in the front mount. Then I headed off to Xenon 101 ("a sector and a classroom," as I call it) to put the Deimos through its paces.

Of course, being Xenon, they were all crowded around the jump gate, so I was immediately dodging fire as I jumped in. Not just from fighters, but PPC fire as well. Yikes! There were a couple of Qs there, and yes, a J. (I was kind of hoping for a K, as they're more of a challenge, but the J was spewing out plenty of fighters for my PSGs to kill, so that made me happy.)

I lined up on the J and made a pass at full speed, raking him with my 8 Ion Shard Railguns as I went. You know what? Those are NOT very effective against capital ships, it turns out. I didn't think there was anything better to mount, though. I was about to find out that this wasn't actually the case...

I had gotten his shields down to maybe 90% in one pass, and my own shields were dropping slightly faster, despite my attempts to avoid being hit. I was thinking, "well, time to RSLG" (for those who know what that means!) and was about to hit my jump drive and call the test a failure. I couldn't do it just yet, though, because I was too busy dodging. I figured I'd get past the J and put some distance between us first, but the problem with that was that the Q chasing me was faster than I was. Drat.... just have to stop what I'm doing and hit the jump drive now, then....

When I stopped steering for a second so that I could hit the JD, I got a chance to look back down at the J's shields on my HUD... and they were below 50%. What the heck? When I stopped firing at him, they were nearly full. What happened? The only thing it could have been was the PSGs on my turrets. But.... those are anti-FIGHTER weapons, not anti-cap-ship. And there are only 2 on each turret. No way they could have ripped the shields off a J that quickly....

...so, feeling brave (and curious), I circled around the J one more time, and my turrets blew him to pieces in a few seconds.

Well, well.

I headed for the Q that was chasing me and "hugged" him, staying close while trying my best to dodge his fire, and trying also to make sure I had a couple turrets pointed his way as well. I hardly needed to try, really... if you've used PSGs before, you've seen how they expand to fill a large area. "Missing" is not really possible unless the target literally flies out of the immediate area.

In a few seconds, the Q went kaboom. All I did was fly around him. Wow.

I headed for the next Q and had the same results.

Needless to say, there were fighters coming after me this whole time, too, but they died almost instantly in the waves of PSG fire, so they were literally not even an issue.

Now, I was still right beside the jump gate. Everything nearby was dead, but I knew there were more Xenon deeper in the sector. My shields were down to something like 30% and, to my dismay, NOT regenerating very fast at all. It might be wise to hop out the gate and come back a little while later....

... in fact, I had an idea. Check the weapons list for the Deimos, and yes... it can mount PSG in the FRONT as well as all the turrets.

Egad.... this is going to be messy.

I ordered one of my freighters to hop to my factory and pick up 8 more PSGs and then bring them to me. Once I had those fitted and my shields back up, I trundled back into X101 with a grand total of 18 PSGs heated up and ready to spray pretty blue death into space.

I never had a problem. There were no more capital ships, but there were a few more Qs lurking in there. I was killing them in a single pass. My 8 front-mounted PSGs would remove the shields and at least 3/4 of the hull, and then one or two of my turrets would finish them off before I could even turn around. It felt like cheating.

I even took out the Xenon shipyard with those PSGs, although that reduced my frame rate to (literally) 2 frames per second. I'm not sure why, but I think it was for the same reason that they do so much damage to large targets. I understand it like this: The PSG, like the other area weapon (the infamous Plasma Burst Generator) basically projects a "cone" of effect, and then the computer checks to see which "hit boxes" (points on a ship which register collisions) are affected by it. Large ships therefore take MORE damage from both PSGs and PBGs than small ships do, because they have more hit boxes inside the area of effect. This could be completely wrong, but that's the way I've heard it explained. Anyway, since the Xenon Shipyard was filling up almost the entire PSG "cloud," and since the PSGs were firing one wave rapidly after another, there were a LOT of hits being calculated in a short period of time. It still took a while to drill through 30 GJ of shields, but I had the time.... because any fighters which came after me died as soon as they got near, so there were no threats to worry about.

To be honest, I used Typhoons on the shipyard to finish off the last 1/4 or so of the hull.... the hull damage of the PSGs is not as amazing as the shield damage. It was still pretty awesome, though. Now it turns out we have a "capital ship version" of the Plasma Burst Generator. I can't wait to use it some more... I just have to remember that it hits friendly targets, too, and it has a LARGE area of effect, so I'll need to be careful not to use it when there are good guys nearby (or they won't stay "good guys" for long, hehe...)

So that was my discovery of the day. I think I'm going to fly this Deimos a while longer and see what I can bathe in blue.

Let the BBQ begin!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Angel and Demon      £ 0.00

I take it from what you have written that the PBG's are the big daddy of the PSG's?

I was once asked if I was an Angel or a Demon. I replied "Both, but which side you see will depend on you."

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Angel and Demon View Post
      I take it from what you have written that the PBG's are the big daddy of the PSG's?
      Other way round, actually. Phased Shockwave Generators can only be mounted on large ships, while Plasma Burst Generators can fit on fighters. Pirates seem to LOVE using PBGs on almost all of their M3s, in fact. If you haven't been roasted by them yet, believe me, you will. You'll know them when you see them, because they look just like flamethrowers. PBGs spit out orange fire, while PSGs spit out huge clouds of pretty blue shiny gas-type stuff. Looks kind of like the northern lights in a way.

Unfortunately, you cannot actually buy the PBGs unless you're in really good with the pirates, and even then, it's more than likely that all of their PBG factories will be destroyed by military / police patrols before your game goes on for very long. (Some people even start a new game and head STRAIGHT for the pirate PBG factories in order to be able to buy a few of them). You can't manufacture them, either. All in all, even though PBGs make for the deadliest fighter-class weapon, they're very difficult to get without cheating. The PSGs, on the other hand, while limited to much larger ships, can be manufactured, so you can have as many as you want.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Angel and Demon      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Redstone View Post
      (Some people even start a new game and head STRAIGHT for the pirate PBG factories in order to be able to buy a few of them).
      Hmm, sounds like the tractor beam fab problem from X3R all over again.

No I haven't run into pirates yet, the Terrans seem to be good at keeping them under control. lol

I was once asked if I was an Angel or a Demon. I replied "Both, but which side you see will depend on you."

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

PSGs are really the cap version of PBGs. The most deadly ship armed with PSGs is the Agamemnon. 4 IBLs in the front turret pounding on the targets shields do a decent amount of damage. If you have mounted 8 PSGs in you bridge weapon slots and you are getting close (the range informations are misleading, the effective range is 2.4 km, because the waves are expanding) fire them, your fps will drop, but the enemy cap is spacedust after the first assault This is working only in sector. OOS PSGs are not very good.

PBGs and PSGs are hitting more nodes while expanding. A HEPT hits only once, PBGs and PSGs hit multiple times, that's why they are so dangerous and why they are effective against fighters (you will allways hit them) and caps (the bigger the ship the more multiple hits). The downside is, you have to fight on your own. Every ship in range is hit, and these weapons will also hurt considerably your own ships, because the range is over 2 km.

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Angel and Demon View Post
      Hmm, sounds like the tractor beam fab problem from X3R all over again.
      Oh, don't worry, Tractor Beam fabs are still a problem. In fact, I was never able to find a TB for sale at any EQ Dock, either. I literally had to build a TB factory complex just to get my first one. That was aggravating, especially since having a Tractor Beam is (almost) necessary for building factory complexes!!

You'll be so happy when you leave Terran space. Their sectors are too huge, too empty, and you can't even use a jump drive there. Ugh. It was all I could do to finish the Terran plot and get out of there as fast as I could...

I admit they're nice-looking sectors, though. Saturn is probably my fave. And those huge space stations!! It's fun to get real close to one and just fly around it, looking for all the little nooks and crannies you can fly into. But I still couldn't shake the feeling that my game was kind of "paused" until I got back into Commonwealth space... because then it felt like X3 again.

I'll tell you what else irks me about Terran space... I bought a Yokohama to play around with, because they're about half the size of other M7s, and I thought that could be a real advantage - at least when flying through the stupid "accelerators" if not necessarily in combat! Then I started looking for some Starburst Shockwave Cannons to put on it. I checked every station in every Terran sector.

Couldn't.
      Find.
      One.

Not one!

Still, in the next patch, you'll be able to build your own Terran factories, which will mean we'll all be able to start actually buying and EQUIPPING Terran ships, using Terran missiles, and all that other fun stuff we just can't do now. I can't wait! It will be like they (finally) added a whole new race to the game....!

Gah, I steered my own thread off-topic...

Um, so, right... Phased Shockwave Generators can be used to blow up capital ships. There. Back on topic.

Edit: Oh hello again, Galder! I should have figured you would already have discovered the blue flamethrowers. I haven't tried them OOS but I had already guessed they wouldn't work so well. I suppose it would only count one hit per shot instead of multiple hits. And if you only calculate a single strike from a PSG, the damage is awful. I would like an Agamemnon, but I've never actually tried a capture op. I have some marines in training right now, though, so I'll be trying soon. Where did you get your IBLs, anyway? Did you get friendly with the Yaki, or did you get them from ships you destroyed? I have zero IBLs. If I do get an Aggie, I'll probably just put MORE PSGs on that front turret. Hey, if 8 is a good number, 12 is better, right?

Last edited by Sam Redstone; 07-03-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Melcahya      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Redstone View Post
      Oh, don't worry, Tractor Beam fabs are still a problem. In fact, I was never able to find a TB for sale at any EQ Dock, either. I literally had to build a TB factory complex just to get my first one. That was aggravating, especially since having a Tractor Beam is (almost) necessary for building factory complexes!!

You'll be so happy when you leave Terran space. Their sectors are too huge, too empty, and you can't even use a jump drive there. Ugh. It was all I could do to finish the Terran plot and get out of there as fast as I could...

I admit they're nice-looking sectors, though. Saturn is probably my fave. And those huge space stations!! It's fun to get real close to one and just fly around it, looking for all the little nooks and crannies you can fly into. But I still couldn't shake the feeling that my game was kind of "paused" until I got back into Commonwealth space... because then it felt like X3 again.

I'll tell you what else irks me about Terran space... I bought a Yokohama to play around with, because they're about half the size of other M7s, and I thought that could be a real advantage - at least when flying through the stupid "accelerators" if not necessarily in combat! Then I started looking for some Starburst Shockwave Cannons to put on it. I checked every station in every Terran sector.

Couldn't.
      Find.
      One.

Not one!

Still, in the next patch, you'll be able to build your own Terran factories, which will mean we'll all be able to start actually buying and EQUIPPING Terran ships, using Terran missiles, and all that other fun stuff we just can't do now. I can't wait! It will be like they (finally) added a whole new race to the game....!

Gah, I steered my own thread off-topic...

Um, so, right... Phased Shockwave Generators can be used to blow up capital ships. There. Back on topic.

Edit: Oh hello again, Galder! I should have figured you would already have discovered the blue flamethrowers. I haven't tried them OOS but I had already guessed they wouldn't work so well. I suppose it would only count one hit per shot instead of multiple hits. And if you only calculate a single strike from a PSG, the damage is awful. I would like an Agamemnon, but I've never actually tried a capture op. I have some marines in training right now, though, so I'll be trying soon. Where did you get your IBLs, anyway? Did you get friendly with the Yaki, or did you get them from ships you destroyed? I have zero IBLs. If I do get an Aggie, I'll probably just put MORE PSGs on that front turret. Hey, if 8 is a good number, 12 is better, right?

Well i don't know how to quote just one part or if this is even possible, but one beautiful day i was taking a walk with my Cuttlas and my flagship Ragnarok (Osaka) in Venus, headed to The Moon for some PSP, the ship only equipped with PSPs and M/AML, then i check in the patrol base i think and voila there was a Starburst Shockwave Cannon in the stock, i immediately bought it. I don't know how it got there, but there it was, although is only one, i was happy

Check it out often, maybe you find it or even more, i do a check out every time i can.

And getting in to topic the PSG are a really good weapon when you are fighting alone, but when you have good company is a disaster. And an easy way to get the PBGs is in the spoiler: unknown sector near PTNI headquarters, there is one factory and in order to get them you just need to get someone to hack the station for you, i found the guy in spoiler: PTNI Headquarters but i think is kinda random

Last edited by Melcahya; 08-03-2009 at 11:17 PM.