Credits
      is relieved to be back!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Quasar - {SM} Points for Social Group Messages      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Capturing the Goner Aran

There are, no doubt, many variations on how to do this, but this is how I did it (version 1.4)...

You need to use a M6, I used my favourite, and the one I am most familiar with, the Skiron... and 5 x 5* Marines...

Jump using the Unfocused Jumpdrive (given to you at the end of the Goner Missions), and look around for a sparkling cigar that doesn't show on the Sector Map... this took me about 25 attempts before I found it... Note that using the Unfocused Jumpdrive means you will be likely to lose these 3 things from your ship:- Triplex Scanner, Freight Scanner, Transporter Device

It was in a sector with a J, 3 Corvettes, and a few smaller fighters... so, not confident to kill a J and 3 Corvettes together in a Skiron quickly, I ran away, stringing the Xenon ships out until they were strung out enough to take them on one by one, I turned, taking out the fighters first, as they were the quickest, followed by the 3 Corvettes (not hard in a Skiron if taken one at a time)...

by this time I was quite a distance from the Aran, so I went straight back to it, passing the J on the way...

I came close to the Aran and switched off my turrets, SAVED, then Ejected, flying closer to the Aran and firing the Repair Laser from my space suit... the music changed to combat, and immediately I went back inside the Skiron and deployed my Marines... this part took several attempts, as I had a failure to capture, a capture that took ages, the ship going on autopillock and wandering without deploying, etc...

When you get the ship captured message from your Marines, use your Property menu to dock with the Aran, and transfer your jumpdrive, ecells and navigation software to the Aran and jump back to normal space as soon as possible (I didn't the first time, and the J got me)...

I lost 1 Marine in this capture, but the time I captured it and got clobbered by the J, I lost none, so what is more common, I don't know...

Enjoy the Aran

Last edited by Quasar; 06-04-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: tidying up
      Help make this site even better! Donate >>here<< to TXU and become a TXU Chartered Member
      Please use the "reputation points system": (the star below left) so people can see who helps the most.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

It works

But the method has several issues.
      First, the Aran can't be targetted, so you cant hit it with a weapon by aiming (actively) at him.
      Second, every weapon which does deal damage will destroy the Aran. It is badly damaged and will explode.
      Third, the only weapon which doesn't do any damage is the repair laser, so that's the obvious choice to hit the aran.

Now why is it important to hit the Aran?
      There is a small list for the player to switch between targets. Next and last enemy which can be bound to a hotkey. This list is used by the quickselection for the boarding menu. So, if you start your marines and send them boarding, you are virtually using the command send marinesboarding -> last enemy. As soon as ES realises this and take away the quickselection for boarding options, the Aran will become unboardable again. Judging about the success of new features, they won't do that, because it gives them a new boarding time sink by accident

How to hit the Aran with the repair laser?
      You have to be very close and you have to aim for several points. The music doesn't change in every case. It's different, you can only tell if it worked when you see the preselection in your boarding menu.

What to do with the Aran?
      Well, as all XTM ships, it has no scripts for its special abilities. It can't build ships, it can't generate e-cells, you can't give sermons/preaches. The Aran can be re-engineered at the PHQ to give you the blueprints. As soon as it is rebuild it seems to be a normal ship and can be targetted also. Before it is re-egineered it can only be accessed by the players property list, which is some kind of annoying

/edit:
      As the player has to clear the sector first, consider using a small corvette. The plus of the hyperion is the ability to dock fighters and their equipment (3 jumpdrives etc.). When it comes downt to fighting caps, the Hyperion is a little bit too big. If you can afford to loose a corvette, get a smaller one. The Vidar would be ideal, but loosing it is not an option (you have to transfer the jumpdrive ) With Gazz turret fix, there are still blind spots which can be used to take down any Xenon cap, regardless which weapons it's using.

How to take down a Xenon cap in a M6:
      You can hit and run it... but that takes ages. Instead, look on the upper side of Js/Ks. There is this round thing installed (on the side with less atennae). Get behind or to the side of the Xenon cap and slightly above so you can see this round bridge thingie. Accelerate and dive and dodge through the enemy fire. 600 MJ shields are enough. Head towards this round thing and adjust your flightpath to the cap, you have to fly almost in the same direction. Get as close as you can BEHIND this round bridge thingie and adjust your speed to the cap. Try to rub the hull, you'll be astonished how near you can get You'll find yourself with a rectangular shape behind you and the round bridge thingie right in front of you. Adjust your distance with using w a s d and keep an eye on the speed. If you're really closeyou can fire away whatever you like... CIGs are doing a good job here and the turrets of the cap can't reach you anymore. Set your turrets to missile defense (the spawning point for missiles is on the other side) and chip away the shields. If there is more than one cap, it'll help you if it is on the opposite side If not, retreat... Also leftover fighters can be a pain. They CAN reach you, it may take a while, but they will So kill the smaller ships first

Last edited by Galder; 06-04-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

As long as it is kinda difficult to get the Aran you might want to know why you should try it...

If you finally got your brand new but heavily damaged Aran the way Quasar and Galder described it so good, you could choose two diffent ways from here:

1) sell it for about 20 mio credits or

2) keep it and use it.

1. Sell the Aran

If you try to sell the Aran it might be a good idea to start your travel to the "unfocused sector" close to a race shipyard because you will return to the "known universe" at the exact same spot where you started. The damaged Aran has speed of aprox. 2.6 m/s. It will take ages if you move an Aran from the rim of a sector to it's center - believe me! When the Aran is docked it can be sold for prox. 20 mio credits. Not a bad profit for 10 minutes work and some insurances.

2. Keep the Aran

As Galder mentioned before, the Aran is only available by the player's property list. This is very uncomfortable fact for a ship. Even more for a carrier. Therefore you should consider revers engeneer the Aran at the PHQ and build up new. This takes some time and resources but it is really worth the waiting (about 4 'n a half day and 55 mio credits). If you don't want to wait, you can repair the Aran for 1.5 mio credits for each percent. This makes a sum of aprox. 140 mio credits for the repairs. But you have to pay another 50 mio credits to max out the cargo space. Together with 6 2GJ shields you have to invest almost 200 mio credits to rebuild the captured Aran.

What is this all good for?

Cons:

* max. 12 m/s speed (even some asteroids are faster)
      * max. 0,1 r/min (within 10 minutes one rotation completed)
      * can only dock at shipyards and equipment docks
      * can not use any weapon (but has a weaponenergy-generator and 3 turrets... crazy!)
      * can not use any rockets

Pro:

* up to 120.000 units of XL cargo space
      * a total of 12 GJ shield strength
      * can carry 30 ships...

... OF ANY KIND AND SIZE!!!

I docked my TS, TP, MTS, TL, M6, M7, M7M, M8, M2 and M1 ... and everything worked fine - even IS!

[EDIT] IMPORTANT: You can just dock one capital ship (TL, M7; M7M, M2 or M1) at an Aran even if you dock another Aran. [/EDIT]

B76

Last edited by Badman76; 07-04-2009 at 06:40 PM.

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")

Credits
      is relieved to be back!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Quasar - {SM} Points for Social Group Messages      £ 0.00

perhaps I didn't make this clear earlier... before jumping back, dock at the Aran (using autodock from the Property Menu...), then you bring both Aran AND M6 back...

the Aran is a very unique ship, and is a shame to waste it by selling it... enjoy the capacity, and the docking, and RE it if you dare!

Last edited by Quasar; 06-04-2009 at 09:39 PM.
      Help make this site even better! Donate >>here<< to TXU and become a TXU Chartered Member
      Please use the "reputation points system": (the star below left) so people can see who helps the most.

Administrator Roger L.S. Griffiths's Avatar
      Credits
      is narfling the garthok!

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Roger L.S. Griffiths Points for Blogs      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badman76 View Post
      * can carry 30 ships...

... OF ANY KIND AND SIZE!!!

I docked all my TS, TP, MTS, TL, M6, M7, M7M, M8, M2 and M1 ... and everything worked fine - even IS!
      From my experience the Aran will only dock a single BIG SHIP (M1/M2/TL/M7/M7M).

Roger L.S. Griffiths, BSc (Hons) [Wiki/Blogs]
      Current Game: X4 Foundations

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

@ Roger

No, definitely more than one capital ship. A lot more than one from each kind. This evening i can add a screenshot from the Aran's dock menue. From the outside of the ship there is nothing to see.

EDIT

@ Roger

I have to apologize! SORRY to you and all the other users. I have made a mistake. Obviously my newly build ARAN is a special (means bug-gy) one.

Here are the promised screenshots (i have 5 more to confirm every ship on bord is a cap ship)

Even so you might not be able to red the german Text you can see the ships ID confirming they are big ones. Second picture shows the docked vessels: 1 M1 Aran, 4 M2 Titan and 2 Terran TL's.

I scripted myself 10 other Aran to test the docking capaticity again and non of them can dock more then one cap ship. But this one can be another Aran. I used Cyrows Cheatscripts to get the 10 Arans and now i'm really depressed. I will build a new Aran in my PHQ and then we will see if i can reproduce the 'bug'. Until then i say an Aran can dock just one capital ship.

BTW - I figured out that if you use the cheat script command to dock the cap ships you can dock at least 9 big ships even at the scripted Arans. They wotk fine and can undock without any probblems. Maybe that means something?

Last edited by Badman76; 07-04-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: New Info added

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

mcmonnia      £ 0.00

Is a Panther a good ship to do this mission with?

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

No, as great as the Panther is, you can't launch marines from it, so you can't capture the Aran. The best ship is whatever your favorite M6 is, but for various reasons, the BEST M6 for the job has got to be the Hyperion Vanguard. You can carry a spare set of ship wares (Jump Drive, etc) in a throw-away fighter docked to the Hyperion, so once you do cap the Aran, you can go ahead and kit it up some. This is not actually necessary, as you can simply dock your M6 of choice IN the Aran, and THEN swap your own jump drive to it and jump out. But it is nice to have the throw-away fighter to store stuff in... including the few wares that tend to get destroyed when you make unfocused jumps.

The other reason I recommend the Hyp is that it's the best one for getting out of trouble if you happen to get into any during your search.

Took me 103 jumps to find it, I think. Good luck, pilot.

BTW, Egosoft has fixed the bugs with the Aran, so you can see it in your sector map, issue orders to it, etc... and as far as I know, it is no longer invisible to enemies. Still good as a weird carrier... like one that can actually carry M8 bombers, TS ships, 20 or 30 Truelight Seekers armed with Gauss Cannons, lol... and of course a single M7,M2, or M1 docked to the clamp.

BEWARE of what you dock to the clamp, though. Some capital ships (many, actually) will sustain catastrophic shield damage when they UN-dock, if you happen to be in either the cap or the Aran when they decouple. Long, narrow ships like the Boreas don't seem to have the problem. (And who wouldn't like to have a Boreas handy?)

Once you have your first Aran, of course, the best ship to go Aran-hunting in is the Aran.

Sam's stuff: >> A simple sector map for XTC <<
      (Sam Redstone's Long-Rang Missile Mod, or SRLRMM, coming sometime after the next XTC patch... meanwhile, I'll be thinking of a better name for it... )

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

mcmonnia      £ 0.00

I spent all day yesterday, trying to board a Hyperion. Aside from the Terran mission that suppose to teach you how to board (it doesn't really), I've never tried boarding before. So I thought I'd sharpen my skills by trying it on a Hyperion. I tried all sorts of different ways to do it but couldn't. About the best I've managed so far is to send my 2 Nova Raiders with PRGs into "attack shield" while I sit back and wait in my Skiron. Once the shields are really low, I try to send the Novas off to dock (otherwise they end up killing the Hyperion). I lose 1 Nova half the times I tried. Then I close with 4 IDs to keep the shield down. The key combination (shift + C, 5, 1, enter, enter) is a real pain when your closing on the target.

Most of the time, I just end up in Auto-Pilot with NO Marines deployed or the Marines deploy but the Hyperion goes chasing after my Nova(s)...leaving the Marines floating in space twittling their thumbs. The few times I managed to actually get my Marines aboard the target, they either blow the ship or fail.

So far, I have not been able to cap that Hyperion. Im think maybe my Marines arent trained enough yet. Any tips?

Eminent XTC Tester - With Honors. Sam Redstone's Avatar
      Credits
      is "testing" XTC.
      Really.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Sam Redstone      £ 0.00

I definitely wouldn't try boarding the Hyperion Vanguard with the "kick the marines out of the airlock" method, UNLESS you're willing to use the boarding hotkey script (written by either Gazz or Cycrow, I can't remember). That script allows you to press a single key to deploy your marines, AND if I understand correctly, it makes them much less idiotic in the way they approach the target.

Anyway, I don't use the airlock method. I've tried it, and it sucks. I DID capture the Aran that way, because you have to, but it's a sitting duck, so it's not hard. On targets that actually move and fight back, I use boarding pods... from about 20km away. For that, you need a Missile Frigate (M7M class). And for that, you're going to need some money. I don't know what your in-game financial situation is, but you'll need the frigate itself AND a good supply of missiles for it, preferably manufactured in one of your own complexes. THEN you can go capture-crazy. I've nabbed all of the ATF capital ships, a Terran Atmospheric Lifter, a Paranid Agamemnon, and of course my Hyperion Vanguard... even got myself a Pirate Galleon the other day just for fun... all ships that no amount of money can buy. So in the long run, a Missile Frigate is well worth the money. But you've got to have the cash up-front.

If you don't want to save up that much money before you start your capping career, then I would definitely suggest looking up that boarding hotkey script. I THINK it will give your game a **modified** tag when you install it, but I'm not sure. I managed to play "vanilla" without the modified tag for a LONG time, but now I'm heavily modded and enjoying it very much... so don't let that scare you off. If you want to do capture operations without an M7M, you're going to NEEEEED that boarding script.

Wait, I found the link, I think... look here. Looks like this will definitely require installing a few things and modifying your game. If you want to stay pure vanilla, I'd save up for the M7M. They're a total riot, anyway... clearing out entire sectors with one ship is a rush you won't get from too many video games...

Hope this helps, and good luck!

P.S. Someone else may be able to give you advice on capping that HV with the tools you already have. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done... just that I personally wouldn't try it.

Sam's stuff: >> A simple sector map for XTC <<
      (Sam Redstone's Long-Rang Missile Mod, or SRLRMM, coming sometime after the next XTC patch... meanwhile, I'll be thinking of a better name for it... )