This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Terran Sabre vs Xenon L

Hi All!

So I am new to this game, I just capped a Xenon L, and I have a few questions:

1) By looking at stats, it seems like the Xenon L would be a far superior choice as my new "primary" ship, since it has more hull, shields, shield recharge, max shields, cargo space, weapon slots, and weapon and missile compatibility. Am I correct in this assessment?

2) If so, is there anything I can do to deal with its relatively slow speed? Right now I'm still doing small dogfights and such, and this ship, even fully upgraded, is considerably slower than the sabre. I have found speed to be a great asset in surviving dogfights, as well as being able to do any other type of mission with a time constant. I really want to use this ship, but I don't see how I can with such a slow max speed (even after upgrades).

3) It also doesn't have ANYthing in it. No upgrades, no weapons, nothing. I guess I broke everything before the pilot bailed. So, is there a way to transfer my upgrades (like SETA) from my saber to the L? Keep in mind that I have very little money, so it might be a while before i can properly outfit this ship.

4) taking into account #2 and #3, should I just sell it and use that cash to upgrade my sabre and rapier? Or, buy some other ship? I'm still too new to this game to know what to do, and I feel "lucky' to have gotten the L and don't want to make a mistake with it.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Catra      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

welcome aboard mate =]

well here we go with thoughts:

1)you are very correct in that assesment only because the L is a step up from the sabre (sabre is a medium fighter, the L is a heavy fighter)

2)the sabre is an M4 and the L is an M3, all M3's are relativley that slow =p no way around it short of buying the raider version of the ship (which sacrafices shields for speed) you cant buy xenon ships btw and i think speed is the ONLY way to survive dogfights in space..shields are nice..but not getting hit is even nicer ^_^ and once you get a jumpdrive time becomes a non issue =p

3)to trasnfer stuff dock the 2 ships at any station , go to landed ships, find the ship your in..then go to advanced and click exchange with then select the ship you want to exchange with =p (lol redundant i know haha)
      ~*offtopic: jus somethin for you to think about..Xenon ships dont have pilots=p*~

4)sell the rapier and the L and upgrade the sabre youll get plenty of oppurtunites to cap another =p and i suggest selling the rapier cuz terran fighter weapons cost 322k a pop =p so if your lil scout goes boom theres goes ~644k(i think it has 2 weapon slots..maybe more? its been awhile lol) you coulda spent on a heavier, more survivable fighter lol

keep the questions comin if you got em i aint got anything to do today lol =p

happy learningcurve =]

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Catra View Post
      welcome aboard mate =]

well here we go with thoughts:

1)you are very correct in that assesment only because the L is a step up from the sabre (sabre is a medium fighter, the L is a heavy fighter)

2)the sabre is an M4 and the L is an M3, all M3's are relativley that slow =p no way around it short of buying the raider version of the ship (which sacrafices shields for speed) you cant buy xenon ships btw and i think speed is the ONLY way to survive dogfights in space..shields are nice..but not getting hit is even nicer ^_^ and once you get a jumpdrive time becomes a non issue =p

3)to trasnfer stuff dock the 2 ships at any station , go to landed ships, find the ship your in..then go to advanced and click exchange with then select the ship you want to exchange with =p (lol redundant i know haha)
      ~*offtopic: jus somethin for you to think about..Xenon ships dont have pilots=p*~

4)sell the rapier and the L and upgrade the sabre youll get plenty of oppurtunites to cap another =p and i suggest selling the rapier cuz terran fighter weapons cost 322k a pop =p so if your lil scout goes boom theres goes ~644k(i think it has 2 weapon slots..maybe more? its been awhile lol) you coulda spent on a heavier, more survivable fighter lol

keep the questions comin if you got em i aint got anything to do today lol =p

happy learningcurve =]

Okay awesome!

Im confised by your answer in #1 and #2. You say the L is a better fighter, because of all the thigns I ention. But then you go on to say that you think, for what I'm doing, the Sabre isbetter, because of the speed. Then you say that "time isn't important when you get ajumpdrive", which I don't see how that factors intot he conversation, except to say that speed is less important?

So, it seems like the best thing to do is sell the Xenon, and then either:

1) Save up for a better fighter. Any suggestions on which would be my best choice for a fighter? I tried an Elite once, but I found that the weapon energy drained too fast. Also, it was too damn slow. I guess when I ask for advice on a better fighter, I'm talking about an M4, cause if M3 was the way to go, then I would just use the L. So are M3s pretty much a class of ship that rarely gets piloted by players, since its "too slow" for dogfight and intercept? Also, i think I'm going to hold onto the Rapier for a bit, so I can practice having a wingman and such.

OR

2) Keep the Sabre and just upgrade it. This is probably the better choice, since it doesn't seem too bad a ship, and I can add some cargo room, some rudder and speed, and 2 more of the energy weapons. Is this what I should do? If i have 4 weapons, will energy charge drain too fast? Is there a way to upgrade that? I guess i could also buy other things, like a jumpdrive, and a police scanner license, and salvage insurance etc.

What are you thoughts about the top part, #s 1 and 2, and then which of these two routes i should go?

Last edited by sirrealist; 10-04-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added Info

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Cebraio      £ 0.00

Welcome!

Catra already gave you some very good answers. Just let me add a few things...

The ship classes in Terran Conflict can be a bit confusing, so I'll give you a quick overview:

Fighters: M5, M4, M3
      Improved Heavy Fighters: M3P
      (Missile Fighter: M8 )
      Corvette: M6
      Frigate: M7
      (Missile Frigate: M7M)
      Carriers: M1
      Battleships: M2

This is also the ranking of them, meaning that an M3 will be always stronger than an M4 and M7 will be stronger than M6 etc. Missile Boats are out of competition because they use a very different approach.

So changing from an M4 to an M3 will always give you more fire-power but usually (always?) less speed.

If the ship is not too damaged*, you could use it and switch your stuff from the Sabre over to it. - But I think I would sell it (maybe repair it with your space suit first) and save money for a Terran Scimitar. The Scimitar is a very good M3 and since you are already flying Terran ships, you already have Terran weapons (Terrans only have one type of fighter gun) so you can use them on the new ship. For the L you would have to buy new guns because they are not compatible.

* Repairs at docks are expensive but you can also exit the ship in space and use the repair laser of your spacesuit to repair small ships. It's free.

Edit: Regarding your second post: I usually fly a lot in M3 class ships (even if I have bigger ones already). The Scimitar is very fast for an M3 and it can use 6 EMP guns in the front, which do a lot of damage. Additionally it has a lot of shields. So I like the Scimitar best, but it depends on your preferences. There are M3 with even more shields (but they are much slower) etc. The downside of the Scimitar is that it's mainly good for attacking bigger ships. It doesn't hit small and fast fighters too well and it doesn't have a rear turret for missile defense. If you like to have some automatic missile defense and rear fire-power, you should probably go for an Argon Nova Sentinel or for an Argon Nova Prototype (if you find one). Well ... it depends ...

Last edited by Cebraio; 10-04-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added M3P
      I don't play Real Life. The balancing sucks.
      DSE

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00

Yeah, good call. What do you think of the Spitfyre Vs the Scimitar?

The Spitfyre can go a LOT faster when maxed out, has more steering and acceleration, more cargo space, and more guns slots (and a pair in the rear).

The Scimitar costs less, has more shields, more shield regen, and more hull .

I feel like I'm leaning more towards the Spitfyre because it can do SO FAST. Sure, it certainly has less shields (2 less generators), and 1k less hull, but the speed seems killer, and also the added cargo space might be useful for stating to do some courier missions. It also has all 4 more weapon slots (2 in the back) which could be awesome.. but, will that drain my energy too quickly?

Last edited by sirrealist; 10-04-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added Info

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Cebraio      £ 0.00

I see you are well informed already.

Honestly, I never heard about the Spitfyre until I just stumbled upon it 5 minutes ago. From the stats it looks like a very good ship. I will probably buy one and use it instead of the Scimitar.

Here is an Excel sheet (in the zip file) with all the ship stats of TC. It's in German but I guess you can make out the most of it. Don't get spoiled though. Seeing all available ship stats might ruin the fun of exploring the different races.

DSE

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00

Here's a better one (and in English):

X3TC Stats Compendium v2.0

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Cebraio      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealist View Post
      Here's a better one (and in English):

X3TC Stats Compendium v2.0

Ah, okay! I was guessing that there must be an English sheet but I didn't know where.

DSE

Administrator Roger L.S. Griffiths's Avatar
      Credits
      is narfling the garthok!

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Roger L.S. Griffiths Points for Blogs      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Welcome to TXU!

Can we assume that you have completed the Terran plot then? Because there is only one sector that you can buy the Spitfyre from.

WRT the Spitfyre, yes it is the best M3 in the game (providing you don't want to capture anything that is ) but if you are going to use the Spitfyre then I would strongly recommend ensuring that you have a TM/TL/M1/M7 to taxi it around in.

Have fun!

Roger L.S. Griffiths, BSc (Hons) [Wiki/Blogs]
      Current Game: X4 Foundations

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.S. Griffiths View Post

Can we assume that you have completed the Terran plot then? Because there is only one sector that you can buy them from.
      No, i haven't finished it yet, but I was wondering where Aldrin was...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.S. Griffiths View Post

if you are going to use the Spitfyre then I would strongly recommend ensuring that you have a TM/TL/M1/M7 to taxi it around in.
      I don't understand; why do you need to taxi it around?