Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Question Strange performance issue

Hi,

I have a strange performance problem,
      my PC is well above the recommended configuration
      Athlon X2 5600+ 2.9 GHz
      most RAM XP SP3 will allow - 3.5...GB
      ATI HD 3870 X2 1GB
      and so on. Default settings are high everything, 4xAA, 8xATF.
      When I run the game, and start to look around a bit, freezes up a bit (2sec) if there is a planet or a station, then everything seems OK. But when I move the ship, after 4 secs the game brutally slows down and fps is around 0.1-0.2. In every campaign.
      No matter what settings I choose, even the lowest possible settings will end up with the same problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Credits
      is trying to understand applied
      mechanics

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Mapper484 - {SM}      £ 0.00

Welcome to TXU!

Are your drivers up to date? Especially the Sound Drivers, since they can cause such slowdowns. Also, do you have he newest 2.0a-Patch? If not, download and install it from here: http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3tc/patches_de.php

Click the star below here to give me some Reputation please

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

johny410      £ 0.00

Thanks for the reply

I tried patch or no patch, no difference.

Drivers are up to date, although there are no new drivers for gigabyte realtek audio since 03/2008. Doesn't seem sound related to me though.

Everything else is ok incl games with much higher reqs, so I dunno. And the game never eats more than ~1.4GB RAM with plenty more free

TXU's resident chatbox text fiend....... Tritous's Avatar
      Credits
      is Dead.

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Tritous      £ 5.00

3870 x2? do you mean 4870 x2 1gb? (which is I believe techniclaly the sapphire version)

things worth checking too:
      - You'll need to have the latest media player too, as x3 uses codecs from it.
      - Check you dont have particularly bad background services running too like indexing service or windows search. I've seen too many cases of people getting slowdown because they haven't trimmed all the trash from their services, startup or background processes.

Other info seriously helpful:
      - What other scripts / mods do you have? (they can affect slowdown)
      - what is the SPEED of your RAM / FSB (the amount is meaningless as long as you have "enough"
      - is your motherboard checked out as compatible with your RAM and GFX card (there are sometimes odd chipset and bus incompatibilies sadly)
      - is your PSU powerful enough (this is a very possible cause, for a 4870 you want 22A on your 12V rail IIRC, check the distribution of power between your PSUs lines not the total power)
      - and lastly what is the speed and cache of your hard disc, since that could be a problem with first loading of textures from disc to ram to GFX ram.

Last edited by Tritous; 13-04-2009 at 04:00 PM.
      10 PRINT IDLE
      20 GOTO 10

"Intelligence is like money: when you pass it on to your kids you lose it for yourself"
      -Me, tired

TXU Wiki:
      Because we are a community

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

johny410      £ 0.00

Hi, thx for the tips

- It's MSI ATI 3870 X2 OC 1GB, so it says in the ccc, the sys info and on the box

- no bg services
      - no mods, just installed
      - I'll try the media player, but I believe I've upgraded couple of times since the release date of X3TC
      - RAM is 800
      - PSU is 650W, more than required
      - not sure about the compatibilities, as I said everything else is running no problemo, this is the first game I have problem with on this machine. Also, Gigabyte MBs are usually AMD/ATI friendly

Right now I'm trying to fiddle around with PCI latency settings, might be that the GPU is waiting for the sound card

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

johny410      £ 0.00

OK, the latencies didn't help much.

I dunno if it helps, but I jus found out it doesn't happen every time. I am testing it by running the custom game campaign. After spawn, there is the tutorial ship a big station and a stargate up ahead, when I fly towards them, it stutters as described above, but if I take the ship the other way into the void or to the trade station to the left, it runs pretty ok, seems like it's triggered by the tutorial ship or what.

Credits
      is Dead.

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Tritous      £ 5.00

there are ALWAYS background services, it's a matter how how many and if they are necessary.

I don't know that particular card so I cant talk much tehere but saying a PSU is 650W isnt enough these days, you need to specifically find out the 12V rail's power. I never much liked overclocked cards, but stock overclocked isnt quite as bad, better than home OC

an 800 FSB is DDR2, should be comfortable enough if running dual channel, although it's probably the limiting factor in your pc (FSB usually is tbh, but dual 800 is plenty for the game.)

That it is just that station suggests maybe a script or texture fault. I dont have TC so i cant help there, but a reinstall of the game may help. Random faults can happen.

10 PRINT IDLE
      20 GOTO 10

"Intelligence is like money: when you pass it on to your kids you lose it for yourself"
      -Me, tired

TXU Wiki:

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

I didn't find your operating system. Anyway, if it is Vista, forget your onboard soundchip. This will only work because Vista is emulating something.... it runs on 32bit compatible mode and the whole sound has to be emulated. This will give you lags, whatever you'll try.

Even if it's not Vista:

A driver from march 03/2008 won't be enough. An onboard Realtek soundchip is a very bad choice. Even a terribly old soundcard will perform better, because it's NOT from Realtek Get a cheap soundcard, disable the onboard soundchip and install the card. That's the best solution. If this is not an option, disable every EAX settings in windows and remove the EAX check from the start screen of X3TC.

In July 2008 there were some changes in EAX settings, so your driver is outdated.

Credits
      is Dead.

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Tritous      £ 5.00

you've always said that galder as have a few others, but i personally have never had a fraction of the problem with a realtek ac97. for an onboard it's a rather nice card without much latancy and a decent frequency response. I actually have a more problems (and find the software weaker) with my newer Soundmax HD, although again not enough to justify a pci card. certainly both of them wipe the floor with my old soundblaster 128. I only keep that card around because standing up while leaving headphones on sorta broke the physical jack socket >.<

There is nothing inadequate with the realtek sound hardware, just their drivers.

10 PRINT IDLE
      20 GOTO 10

-Me, tired

TXU Wiki:

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

It's the driver support. In July 2008 the older EAX settings were reintroduced, so every sound driver using EAX has to be adjusted. Creative did that back in August 2008... Realtek doesn't. Also windows has chnged the general treatment of sounds within their system. Vista doesn't support the directsound anymore. This layer was simply removed to get more speed. All the sound drivers using hardware acceleration are now only emulated. If they are older they run in 32 bit compatible mode, which means a longer processing time. This is added on top of the PCI latency issues. All this together is causing lags which results in sound stutter (some sounds crackle or are incomplete) and in video freezes/slow downs (if there is a MD mission running) or in those 1 to 2 second freezes of the game. Everybody suspects video issues, but it is most commonly related to latency

If you're running win 2k or XP you can be lucky if your system consists of older, but good balanced hardware which doesn't follow the windows changes and doesn't need to be upgreded. Also, if your CPU is fast enough under 2k/XP it can compensate the speed needed to override the old EAX settings. So you don't get in the trouble with newer systems

Last edited by Galder; 14-04-2009 at 12:45 PM.