Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Too Much Time Waiting?

This isn't meant as a rant, more like to see if I'm alone here, or if this is expected, or what:

I think too much time is wasted by waiting in X3. First off, the load times are LONG. I have a RAID0 and i think they are too long. This wouldn't be so bad, except:

1) You can only save on the fly w/ salvage insurance. If you don't have salvage insurance, then you have to waste time flying to a station just to save.

2) There is no quick save/load. Even when you load from a station, it takes too long.

3) When you die, you have to wait for the game to load the main screen, then wait again to load your game. Surely, on the death screen, it could just present you with your saved games to load, cutting out the time waiting to get back to the main screen.

Do you know of any mods or ticks to get around all this waiting? I spend enough time waiting b/c of a lack of jump drive, but all the load times are just killing me. I'd also like a mod that gives you unlimited salvage insurance... do you know of one? Am I alone in thinking that there is too much waiting in this game (and im not talking about flying places b/c of no jump drive, im talking about time wasted loading and flying to stations and such).

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Locsley      £ 0.00

I got raid0 too - on two new Raptors. Wouldn't mind shorter loadtimes, but mine loads pretty fast, not that much slower than some other games (Oblivion comes to mind). But yeah - faster is always nice.

I apriciate not being able to save to easily - it makes you aviod dying; atleast a little.

I am sure there is some cheat script for unlimited salvage mods - look here http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=217035

I don't have enough time... When autodocking to a station (for whatever purpose, saving or otherwise) I'm micromanaging what little empire I got and I always have to rush things out before docking

Credits
      is relieved to be back!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Quasar - {SM} Points for Social Group Messages      £ 0.00

isn't RAID0 having a mirror (copy) hard disk? so writing to 2 HDDs will surely take twice as long, at least, in many cases?

the reason it takes so long to load initially is that every ship in every sector, together with it's scripts, and every factory in every sector needs to load...

likewise in a given sector, all the ships present, and their scripts need to load, plus all the factories, that's why it takes longer if you have a fleet or a complex in that sector...

this is the only game I am aware of where so much live detail is kept and runs to make the universe so real... if it loaded faster, it would not be able to do that...

imho it's a small price to pay for such a complete interactive game...

Last edited by Quasar; 15-04-2009 at 07:31 PM.
      Help make this site even better! Donate >>here<< to TXU and become a TXU Chartered Member
      Please use the "reputation points system": (the star below left) so people can see who helps the most.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
      isn't RAID0 having a mirror (copy) hard disk? so writing to 2 HDDs will surely take twice as long, at least, in many cases?

the reason it takes so long to load initially is that every ship in every sector, together with it's scripts, and every factory in every sector needs to load...

likewise in a given sector, all the ships present, and their scripts need to load, plus all the factories, that's why it takes longer if you have a fleet or a complex in that sector...

this is the only game I am aware of where so much live detail is kept and runs to make the universe so real... if it loaded faster, it would not be able to do that...

imho it's a small price to pay for such a complete interactive game...

Thanks (both) for your replies.

1) Raid0 is striping (distributing the read/write instructions evenly across 2 disks, so its actually a lot faster). What you're thinking of is RAID1 (mirror).

2) I agree with you; its worth the reload times. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining per se, or unappreciative. I think what they've done here is amazing. I was just wondering if I was alone in this situation. I also think that a quick save/load should be possible, since if your quickload is in the same sector, it could use at least some of what already cached. Also, I still think its stupid that when you die, it dumps you back to the opening menu (with the load time that takes) so you can load again. Its so much quicker (but hard to do) to anticipate that you're going to die, and just load from in-game. Do you see what I mean?

Also, i forget how much salvage ins costs and where to get it... does it get to a point where you have so much money, you can pretty much buy all the salvage insurance you need w/o worrying about it? I guess not being able to save when I want to is my biggest gripe...

Last edited by Xelonir; 20-04-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Merged double-post

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Locsley      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealist View Post
      Also, i forget how much salvage ins costs and where to get it... does it get to a point where you have so much money, you can pretty much buy all the salvage insurance you need w/o worrying about it? I guess not being able to save when I want to is my biggest gripe...
      There about 3000 credits each and Terracorp got em amongst others. Buy as many as you want Allthough you might have to buy them a couple a time.

First you can only buy five (what, only five) then when you go into the trading meny you can suddenly, like, buy 50!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sirrealist      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Locsley View Post
      There about 3000 credits each and Terracorp got em amongst others. Buy as many as you want Allthough you might have to buy them a couple a time.

First you can only buy five (what, only five) then when you go into the trading meny you can suddenly, like, buy 50!
      Cool, thanks.

I think I'll just use cycrow cheat script to gift myself unlimited insurance

Credits
      is relieved to be back!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Quasar - {SM} Points for Social Group Messages      £ 0.00

actually, you can buy as many as you like to begin with, you get up to 5 to start, then, once bought, it'll immediately allow you more, and so on...

and yes, once the initial period is over, buying 500 or 1000 at a time is no problem, and costs peanuts...

Help make this site even better! Donate >>here<< to TXU and become a TXU Chartered Member
      Please use the "reputation points system": (the star below left) so people can see who helps the most.