Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Kyanzes      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Need help with some issues

I'm having some issues, could you pls give some insight?

1. I can't issue commands to wings without first joining the given wing. Also, even when joined, I still have to visually target a wing element first, only then will the "C" key bring up the command menu. It's rather annoying too, since my ship begins to obey the last command that was issued to the wing in question.

2. From time to time my wingmates tend to crash into me. Or at least that's what I think happens, as I get no confirmation as to why my ship gets suddenly blown. Just like that, without any reasonable cause. It seems that hanging in space is dangerous, since it mostly happens when I'm motionless.

3. I cannot figure out how to build factories. Checked several markets but "factories" aren't listed anywhere. Tried to visit locations with the "building" sign but they offered no factories, only their products. Also checked the factory relevant parts of the manual, but it only says something along the lines that "you should build one" never giving a clue how to do it.

4. I'm flying a Rapier. I cannot figure out how to add a shield to my ship. I tried 1MW and 5MW shields but I simply can't add them to the ship. Now I'm forced to fly without shields. Also, I *can* add other parts, already put like half a dozen gadgets, but no shield would fit.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Scorch      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

1. Not sure whats going on here, though you should never have to add yourself to a wing to issue them commands, in fact you shouldn't since it will autopilot your ship every time you issue the wing a command. Heres the procedure: add the ships you want in a wing either through the command menu or through the my wings sub menu in the personal menu (dont add your own ship). Then you should be able to issue commands to the whole wing by simply going into the command menu for any ship in the wing (either by pressing c when you have the ship targeted or through the sector menu).

2. If you are using the follow command and ships following you are fairly fast (ie over 300m/s) they will tend to crash into you if you arent careful.

3. Factories are sold at shipyards but you are only able to buy and build them if you have 'hired' a TL to transport the 'parts' or you have your own TL docked at the specific shipyard.

4. You don't need to 'add' shields to a ship, if they are in the ships cargo hold, the ship automatically equips the largest shields it can handle. The rapier is able to equip 5 1MJ shields so by simply buying 5x1MJ shields at a equipment dock or factory that has them, the ship will automatically equip them. To check this, go into the info menu for the ship and check the shield bay, it should list the shields that are installed.

hope this helps.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

swordspider      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanzes View Post
      4. I'm flying a Rapier. I cannot figure out how to add a shield to my ship. I tried 1MW and 5MW shields but I simply can't add them to the ship. Now I'm forced to fly without shields. Also, I *can* add other parts, already put like half a dozen gadgets, but no shield would fit.
      In addition to Scorch's well laid out answers, I would highly suggest getting out of that Rapier asap as it is just so weak that a peice of space dust can hit it and bang you are dead. Something with a 25MW shield can usually take a hit or two from your psycho wingmen before you explode, and the shields of both ships recharge and no harm done. I put up a N00b thread (and there are a lot on here) about derelect ships. I would go pick up the Advanced Barracuda and you should be good to go without problems for awhile.

Last edited by Aragon Speed; 14-05-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Corrected quote tags so they work. AS.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Vanor      £ 0.00

Well this was handy, I was going to post much the same question about wings.

I've had the same issue, I use shift-c which opens the wing command menu, issue commands and they simply won't do it. But I've also had the same issue using the R key to look at my properties and issue commands from that menu and have the same thing happen.

I might for example tell my wing or another ship I own to dock at... or dock at my target and watch it sit there doing nothing. Or I might tell the wing to follow or protect me and watch as they kept flying to a station I told them to dock at a few minutes ago.

I was flying around with 3 rapiers assigned to a wing, and it seemed at least some of the time I could only get them to follow orders if I added my ship to the wing. Which then caused it to be taken over by the autopilot every time I issued a command.

Next time I'll try targeting the ship directly and see if that makes any difference.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Kyanzes      £ 0.00

Well, to be honest, I still couldn't figure it out myself. Same problem: I need to add myself to the wing. Then the whole torture starts with my ship getting out of control.

It's a serious letdown.

I wonder why aren't there (appropriately colored) wing buttons on the main screen. Like, dunno, a blue box, a golden box etc. There's plenty of room.

So, instead of struggling, I fly alone.

There are other issues too.

- I cannot see on the remote merchandise list wether I'm allowed to buy the stuff or not (standing with the race) so, in the end, I still have to fly there to check if I can buy it
      - it's impossible to tell what certain items do??? Either no info is available or the info is vague
      - it's complicated to look up if a certain item is usable on your ship (already bought plenty of stuff that I couldn't fit in the end)

Just so you don't get the wrong picture, I do find this game very nice, it's just that it has some very basic problems, which is strange considering how long the series has been around.

Guess it went like this:

- hey, let's put "personnel transport" next to the name of the ship
      - hey, it takes up too much space, let's abbreviate it to "pers.trans."
      - guess it's pretty obvious what it means so make it "pers.t."
      - lol, anyone would know it's a personnel transport, make it "PT"

In the end they oversimplifed almost everything.

Last edited by Kyanzes; 14-05-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Scorch      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Ok, since wings are working absolutely fine for me, follow the instructions below to the letter, and if it still doesn't work properly, then there is most likely something wrong with your installation.

1. Have all the ships you intend to be in the wing in the same sector in view right in front of your ship.
      2. Add the ships to blue wing by selecting the ship, pressing c for the command menu for that ship to come up, then scroll down to wing control and press add to wing, then select blue wing.
      3. To make sure all ships are in the wing intended check the sector view and if the ships are all in the menu under the Blue wing section (it has a blue bar across from the name) then you should be right. Also make sure your ship is not in the wing.
      4. select one of the ships that are in the wing by targeting it. press c to bring up the command menu for blue wing (when a ship is in a wing, going into its command menu brings up the wing comand menu). Then order them to follow you.

If they do not follow you straight after you issue them the command then you either did something wrong or something is wrong with your installation.

If It doesn't work, tell us and add the following information:

*Your version of the game (it should be 2.0 by all means)
      *Any mods you have installed.

For your other problems Kyznzes:

- You can only see whether or not you can buy a product if you can enter the trade menu screen, looking at the info menu for a station only lists its products
      - If you need to know what an object does, and the game can't tell you just ask around here. (remember you can enter an info screen for most objects in the game by pressing u when the object is highlighted in the trade menu or when an object is targeted )
      - You should always check the information screen for your ship to see what stuff is compatible before buying it, the ships information screen lists all the pertinent information you will need (like what is compatible i.e. shields, weapons, missiles etc.)

@Vanor:
      Pressing 'shift-c' brings up the command menu for your ship, not ships you have selected, just 'c' is what you are looking for.

In fact that might be your problem, as i can see that if you were in the wing it would indeed order your ship as well as the other ships, target a ship in the wing and press 'c' only.

Last edited by Scorch; 15-05-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Vanor      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
      @Vanor:
      Pressing 'shift-c' brings up the command menu for your ship.
      That's interesting because the instruction book said shift-c is for the wing command menu. Either I read it wrong or the instructions are wrong.

Either way I'll try it as you said when I get a chance.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Scorch      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Hmmm, on page 52 of the manual In the 'The Wing Command Console' It does indeed say 'shift-c' is how you bring up the wing command console, which is obviously wrong. Simply press 'c' when you have a ship selected or when highlighted in the sector map, it will bring the command console for that ship up if it isn't in a wing, but if it is it will bring up that wings command console. I guess they made a typo in the manual.