Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Vanor      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default Major Newbie reporting. :)

I picked up X3:TC 2.0 this weekend and have a few questions. This is my first X game so I have no experience with older versions. I have however played things like Freelancer, and other space sims so I understand the basic concept.

I've been reading though the instruction manual and have done the first plot missions for the Terran start, and am as far as getting the Rapier ship from Mars which has no guns, and I have about 6k credits.

Now here's where I'm stuck at...

I have no idea how to make money reasonably quickly. I know in general you can make money by buying stuff at one station and then going to a different one and selling it. Buy low, sell high. But so far I've not had much luck finding anything really worth doing that with. I'm not looking for a way to make 50 gabillion credits in 5 min's... I don't mind doing some trading.

So if anyone has some good advice on how to get going and making money I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by Vanor; 12-05-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Kozaki - {M}      £ 0.00

Welcome to TXU

With trading you can make very much money but it needs time.. very much time. Be honest trading is boring

Make missions. Fly to Heretics End. There you can get some fight missions. In this way you can earn money and having fun

You can find some abandoned ships which you can take over and sell.

Or you explore the universe and take your profit from fights between pirates and the police...

Ok, you can trade. But you must not do that. It is a possibility.

It is your decision

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Welcome to TXU, Vanor!

To answer your question is not that easy. I asume you still have the Terran Sabre as your player ship?! If it is so you should search the universe for better ships. There are few abandoned ships located in different sectors. To find them, take their equipment and sell or keep them brings you the easiest and fastesd money. But as you might have heard the universe is BIG!

To find these ships could take some time. It is much easier to follow the instructions from these two links (Abandoned ships, X3:TC Map) but be aware that this will take away the fun of finding the ships all by yourself...

When you have a better shielded and stronger ship you might find it interessting to make money by accepting so called 'generic missions'. They were offered ad the Comm station ot some fabs showing a decent sign in the upper right corner of your HUD when in space. There are MANY ways to make money in X-universe. To discover them and find out what suits you best is one of the finest parts of the game.

EDIT: To late.... again! THANKS KOZAKI!

Last edited by Badman76; 12-05-2009 at 07:13 PM.

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Vanor      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Badman76 View Post
      I asume you still have the Terran Sabre as your player ship?!
      Yes that and a Terran Rapier I was given that doesn't have any guns on it.

Ok... So I take it there's very little reason I can't travel to other sectors then? I have the X3 TC map so I can see the other sectors, but I kind of got the impression I was somewhat limited on where I could go at first.

If I were to go hunt down one of those abandoned ships do I need anything special to take them over? I'm not looking for a quick way to make several million credits... Just a reasonably quick way of making enough money to buy some more missiles and some guns for the Rapier, so we're talking about a couple 100k...

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Blog Entries

To take over an anbandoned ship:

- Fly close to the abandoned ship (approx. 50 - 70 m)
      - Leave your ship (usualy <SHIFT> + < E >)
      - Fly closer to the abandoned ship (less than 35 m for M3, less than 28 m for M4 and M5)
      - Open the sidebar menue by pressing < I >, their is an entry lighted up when you're close enough to take over the ship
      - Take it over and enjoy your new property!

To answer your questions: No. No more equipment is needed for a takeover!
      You can go to almost every sector you see in your map. Only a few are accessable through strory line. (spoiler: Some Terran, Kha'ak and one Argon sectors.)

Btw -when you fight other ships (M5 till M3P, TS and TP) you may find that a few of their pilots will leave their ships to save their lifes. Those ships can be taken over the same way.

[EDIT] - First one to answer... YESSSSS!

Last edited by Badman76; 12-05-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Vanor      £ 0.00

I looked over some of those abandoned ships and it looks like it would be quite the long haul to get to them. Which isn't a big deal but it might take longer then I'd care to spend just flying at this point.

So is heading to Heretics End or one of the pirate sectors reasonably safe at this point or should I get my Saber upgraded before I go?

Or should I sell my saber and use the funds from that to upgrade the Rapier and then go looking for combat missions?

Can I strip the guns off my Saber and install them on the Rapier?

Is there any place to get combat mission in Terran space?

Again I'm not looking for a quick way to score millions, but just some way of getting enough to get a ship upgraded a bit.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Kozaki - {M}      £ 0.00

You should keep the Sabre until you can a M3. In a Rapier you cannot fight.

Heretics End is the only terran sector where you can get combat mission and only at non terran stations.

I recommend to sell the Rapier because spoiler: You get three new ones some story missions later

To read the spoiler you have to make the yellow zone with your mouse

@B76

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vanor View Post
      So is heading to Heretics End or one of the pirate sectors reasonably safe at this point or should I get my Saber upgraded before I go?
      No risk no fun! It should be safe enough. Most ships that you can't fight you can avoid by flying away from them. With a bit experience you will be able to use your Sabre to stand against other single M4 or M3. And with a little luck one of those pirates will bail off...

Or should I sell my saber and use the funds from that to upgrade the Rapier and then go looking for combat missions?
      No. Don't go in combat with the Rapier. It is a scout ship not a fighter.

Can I strip the guns off my Saber and install them on the Rapier?
      Yes. By docking both ships at the same station and using the docking menue you can change the lasers or any other part of the equipment.

Is there any place to get combat mission in Terran space?
      You will see it when there is a red crosshair showing in the upper right corner of the station when you look at it in space.

Again I'm not looking for a quick way to score millions, but just some way of getting enough to get a ship upgraded a bit.
      Getting to these ships and sell them would be hard enough to think they are worth the money. And remember: You can sell them only once! No way to make millions over millions...

Spammy the (spacefl)Eye in the sky... stemardue's Avatar
      Credits
      is watching you! ῼ

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

stemardue Points for Social Group Discussions      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Hi there
      since you are new to X games series, there are a couples of things that 'we' assume as obvious, but are not so for the beginners.

First (important) one: SETA - that is a time compression tech that will make time run faster, meaning that long distances are covered quicker while flying. I don't remember if it's on board by default on your first ship (if so a small grey button on the left of your shields/hull/speed indicator will be present). Set a route, press 'j' or click that button and relax - if you change speed or direction, or shoot, you will exit SETA mode. If that is not on board you can get it at any dockyard or trading station for 252 credits (iirc).

Second: duplex or, better, triplex scanner: useful for spotting target at a longer distance and for sector mapping.

To answer your other questions, yes you can swap cargo (including weapons and shields) between ships: dock em at any station and from station menu - docked ships select the target ship (must be yours) and from its advanced menu, use the xchange freight option.
      Not all ships can use same weapons and same shields types though...

It's way better to rescue one of those 'derelict' ships, since they are in mint conditions and decently armed than to sell your sabre to upgrade the rapier (at this time, at least, since with your current reputation you won't find many opportunities to buy good weapons).

Remember also to upgrade engines and rudder to the max as you can.

At the beginning, there are few missions in terran space (at least that was so for me), go a couple of sectors S and W and you should start to find more.

And.... have fun!

Ack! Badman!....

Last edited by stemardue; 12-05-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Badman's speed...
      ♪♫♫♪♪
      Here is XTC 2.0 FAQ. <<<--- Go read it!
      See my XTM gameplay tips here
      Do the X-Hop!
      Relax and dance to the Deep X
      I don't know well what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it well.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stemardue View Post
      Ack! Badman!....
      ... welcome to my world!

My Nemesis is Koaki. Whenever i think i'm in charge to be the man... i'm not. Thanks to HIM, arrrrrgh...

But you are very right about the use of S.E.T.A.. To use it has become so natural to me i don't ecognize it anymore. The S.E.T.A. is already installed in every starting player ship. You may attach the inforamtion that it won't work when you are under fire or close to stations/asteroids/other ships.