I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther
      Blog Entries

Post The use of rocket frigates of the M7M class

My impressions on using the M7M rocket frigates

I didn't find any threads here reffering only to the new M7M class in Terran Conflict. Therefore i want to encourage you to discuss about theses vessels. Some of you may find this post very familiar because i wrote this down before in a non-public part of TXU. But i want more users to talk about this class.

I mainly used the Split Cobra in X3:TC to improve my efforts in boarding but that worked not as good as i thought. The timing with the different rockets, the few marines, the low scanner range of even a triplex scanner and ineffectivness of the rockets made me dislike this class very soon.

Capping by boarding pods started from a M7M was just gambling. As long as highly trained marines are so expensive and rare it is very ineffective to send them by these pods. The long range between the target and your ship (that you need to keep the M7M safe) gives the enemy a good chance to take down the pods.

I found it very annoying that torpedos do so small damage to shields but large damage to the hull (in percentage). You can not predict how many missiles it will take to bring down the shield without destroying the hull. There is always the risk to damage the hull so seriously that no marine could come aboard the ship. Therefore using the M7M for boarding is very depressing.

An overview

Now i took the time to test all M7M for almost 3 days. I just would like to say something about all the ships in general. I tested Argon Minotaur, Otas Aquilo, ATF Skirnir, Boron Kraken, Paranide Ares, Split Cobra and Teladi Gannet. I used them in distance combat against single ships and groups of M6, M2 and M1. Beside the Skirnir most of them are almost the same. Some of them are a bit faster, some are weaker shielded, some have another rocket turret, some have a back turret weapon. Nothing of those really matters for the use of a rocket fregatte. In my next explanations you will see why. All my refferances are made without looking at the Skirnir. This ship will be shortly discussed at the end of the post.

To fly a M7M is like driving a shopping cart through the woods. It is slow and phlegmtic - but that's okay. This kind of ships are not meant to be in dogfight. Their main weapons are designed for (very) long range attacks. Speed and steering are very good balanced when you think of this ship as artillery. The Hammer Heavy Torpedos are for the use against enemy capital ships. The flails barrage is good to be used against fighters and to diverse the enemy's rocket defence while the torpedos or boarding pods trying to get through.

The M7M's are very powerful against enemy capital ships from the distance. Therefore just two major issues matters for a successful use of the vessels of this class.

First: reconnaissance

The missile range is much larger than the range of the triplex scanner. To use the full potential of the torpedos you need to see what you want to hit. At least one M5 scout will do a good job here. But the AI is constantly overwhelmed when ordered to keep away from target but stay close enough to not lose it. Therefore the player has to fly the fast scout and remote control the M7M.

Second: position to target

The M7M's are very weak in close combat situations. Even against a few M3P's a rocket fregattes won't stand a chance. But from long range distance there is nothing that can compare to a full barrage of Hammer Heavy Torpedos fired by these vessels. But position does not only mean distance - it means relation too. The missiles always fly straight to their target. If there is something (asteroids or stations) in it's way most of the rockets will fail ... and suddenly there could be much more enemies than before...

How to use?

Sitting in a M7M and firing the torpedos by hand is boring and lame. It takes a very long time to bring down the shields of an enemy M2. Much more fun and even more effective is to fly a small scout (like said above) with a triplex find your enemy and stay out of his range. When you are able to order your M7M to a position where it is widly out of the scanner's range of the enemy ship you can order it to fire a barrage of 8 missiles each on the enemy. You can select how many volley's should be fired ad ones. Enter '1' for 8 torpedos, '2' for 16 topedos, '3' for 24 torpedos... and so on...

In this way i took out 3 Kha'ak destroyers in a row without a single scratch.

But the costs!

You could lower the costs by using fighter drones to confuse the targets defence. But they should be started from another ship closer to the enemy. Otherwise the drones run out of 'fuel' before they can be effective. And even with them it would be still very expensive. So if you want to make good and often use of the M7M it might be a good idea to build up missile factories to lower the costs.

Statistics

Some average statistics of the M7M class (beside ATF Skirnir)

av. price: 40 - 50 mio credits
      av. speed: 70 m/s
      av. steering: 0,9 rpm
      av. shields: 3 - 6 GJ
      av. cargo: 8.000 XL
      av. weapons energy: 50.500
      av. number of weapons: 16

main weapons: rocket lancher only (fixed installation)
      mountable rockets: Hammer Heavy Torpedos, Flail Barrage (Boarding Pods)

My conclusions (to discuss!)

* When in a good positon a M7M is a match for every other capital ship.

* Using boarding pods is a good way to enlarge the chance to get on board an enemy vessels. But with a low chance of bringing the marines through and the high costs of training them that is not a very good choice. The boarding pods are not that useful on M7M vessels. They are to be used from closer distance but this is not the 'modus operandi' the M7M works at.

* M7M's are very effective in long range combat

* But it is quiet expensive in both - aquisition and use.

The Outsider

The ATF Skirnir is the only M7M with full close combat defence capaticity, heavy shields and many weapons. Therefore this ship is a bit out of balance but a very valuable boarding object... . Instead of using the Heavy Hammer Torpedos and Flails the Skirnir can use the Shadow torpedo and the Ghul rocket.

Please feel free to comment on my 'review' as you like.

Last edited by Badman76; 22-06-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: style edited ... a bit

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Well.. i can't comment any further, because you cover all important sections. Your observations are precisely, the conclusions are correct... there is simply nothing to add or discuss

You should rename the thread to "Handbook for M7M owners"

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Kozaki - {M}      £ 0.00

I agree with Galder. You should change the prefix into FAQ

TXU Full Member Carlo the Curious's Avatar
      Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Carlo the Curious      £ 0.00

Regarding the use of M7Ms for boarding, I found this walkthrough and this guide (chapter 3) on the ES forums to be quite useful.

Last edited by Carlo the Curious; 22-06-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kozaki View Post
      You should change the prefix into FAQ
      ... with so fine comments... i did!

Quote Originally Posted by Galder View Post
      You should rename the thread to "Handbook for M7M owners"
      Far to kind!

This is your field and i don't wanna mess with you.

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Gululu Li      £ 0.00
      The Web... Duh! (Barren Shores, actually...)
      Blog Entries

A technique i'm (wanting to) practice is to use the Attack Shields command with support. In this way, i believe one can get close with the M7M while the target is distracted by your reinforcements.

I had also tried out my Minotaur on a Zeus. I was able to attack the Zeus head-on, avoiding the dangerious PPC and IBLs. Then, i unleased 5 volleys of missiles. I would have been able to destroy the Zues if i had more missiles, and with less than 10% shield damage to my own Minotaur.

When it comes to capping, i have yet to try that. You may be able to distract the target with a flail barrage, the missile swarm acting as destraction to your boarding pod...

Quote Originally Posted by Gululu Li View Post
      A technique i'm (wanting to) practice is to use the Attack Shields command with support. In this way, i believe one can get close with the M7M while the target is distracted by your reinforcements.
      Forgo the Reinforcements idea, the Barrage Tunnel technique found in the above link is a much better idea!!

Last edited by Gululu Li; 27-06-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Confusing structure of one sentence... >.>

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Fox      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badman76 View Post
      ... the low scanner range of even a triplex scanner .... made me dislike this class very soon.

The missile range is much larger than the range of the triplex scanner. To use the full potential of the torpedos you need to see what you want to hit. At least one M5 scout will do a good job here. But the AI is constantly overwhelmed when ordered to keep away from target but stay close enough to not lose it. Therefore the player has to fly the fast scout and remote control the M7M.

Now I never played TC but the situation of intelligence gathering is very common on any modern and futuristic battle field.

In my Reunion game when hunting ships this intelligence gathering I make it into an art. :P

I rarely send out an AI controlled ship to scout out the area. Unless the target is Neutral or Friendly.

I set up satellite relay's to have constant intelligence of the area. Usually these are at gates, far enough away so that the enemies regular scan or duplex scanner can't see it.

When I was a privateer tho I did set up satellite relay's in the middle of asteroid clusters for protection and recon.

But for a quick attack, I'm guessing something your interested in, Why not manually fly a M5 to dump a Relay nearby the enemy ship/fleet then fly back to your M7M to attack.
      Of course this method wouldn't really work if your target moves out of range of the Relay or destroys it. Then again you could of dispatched several Satellites to give you more time and range.

Hmmm, that's all I can come up with.

spoiler: Beware the cupcake!