• Happy
  • Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: And then came the Khaak Destroyer...

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Pirate's Bane      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther
      Blog Entries

Default And then came the Khaak Destroyer...

It started out as a good day, just a regular sector patrol mission.

It was Khaak this time, but they were spread out, so no problems.

I took out some small stuff in my Heavy Dragron and my shiny new Panther shredded a couple Corvettes. Ah that was a pretty site, watching those Corvettes dance in the laser fire from the Panther. It was their last dance, and life was good.

Something though was tickling my brain and interrupting my daydreams of glory. I look off into deep space and notice laser flashes around what appears to be a factory.

Thatís the Khaak for you. Mindless beasts roaming the universe, preying on shipping, and now they think they have the power to strike at a factory. I signal the Panther to follow my ship, its time to send these Khaak back to whatever rock they spawned from.

We head towards the factory, its still out of radar range and Iím not sure what type of factory it is or exactly how many Khaak are attacking it. Weíre still out of radar range, the flashes are brighter and faster, I call up my weapons load out, hoping everything is right, wondering if something can be rebalanced, and then Ö.. a bright blinding ball of light engulfs the factory.

My day just turned really bad.

Please donít tell me the Khaak have nukes!

It appears that the factory is still there. Maybe it survived?? But no, the more I look at it the more I realize it resembles many a burnt out ship Iíve passed in spaceÖ. scorched skeletons of what they once were.

We continue to close on the factory. The radar kicks in. It was Khaak that took down the factory!

OK, no problem, Iíve vaporized many a Khack before, nothing special here. Looks like the usual whack and stack job. Iíll just Ö and then the radar changed. There on the radar was a red military symbol on one of the Khaak ships.

Whatís this?? Some kind of new Khaak military Corvette? I click on the ship ID, Khaak Destroyer, Huh?? Whatís that? I click on the info button. I glance at the shields Ö.. 5 x 2Mj shields. What? Oh no! Thatís a M2 battleship!!

We fly closer. Maybe we can run and gun this thing. At 6 Km the Destroyer opens up with his Kyons. As I watch my Heavy Dragonís shields get vaporized, I frantically try to get out of range. My Panther bravely charges in to save me. The Khaakís kyon fire is extremely accurate. The 4 Mj shields on the Panther are being vaporized.

The Panther valiantly tries to fight back. It canít damage the Khak quick enough to bring it down.

I signal it to back off. We canít win this fight. Itís time to run!

We escape with our ships barely intact. We find a repair dock and vow to rearm and find that demon spawn, and next time Ö. it will be our day again!

-- Long Live the Fighters!! --

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

cellestial      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Thats a great story buddy, you really bring the engagement to life. Reminds me of the first time I came up against one, except I didn't make it back in one piece!

Was in a Katanna at the time so no match. Problem was I had saved pretty badly, and had racked up threee auto-saves nipping in and out of a facility to fight off the initial wave of corvettes. No probs, just bug out and abort the mission, except I had racked up a few mill on the corvette kills and desperately needed the cash. Tried for ages to kill the thing but it just would not die. Most uncivilised!

Tried flying inside to get away from its lasers but just to fast and nimble and I still seemed to get hit by something no matter where I hid. I brought in the few ships I had in my then still small fleet in support - but it can target multiple ships at the same time with equally lethal effectiveness so they did not last long. I tried missiles, I tried guns, I tried ramming it, I tried harsh language, I even threw a cahoona sandwich at it. Actually I think the harsh language was more effective.

Thankfully for me the pilot of the Khaak destroyer was not the brightest, took a number of restarts but, while running ... I mean strategically withdrawing behind an asteroid ... the Khaak decided he would fly through the asteroid. A few bumps and the shields were failing, whichever way it tried to move it just bumped the asteroid again. Of course as soon as I saw its predicament I raced back around to try and get the killing shot in and get the credit for the kill but I was literally a few seconds late.

Still, I managed to bag the credits from the mission generally and it did teach me to save more regularly ... well for at least a few hours anyway.

I find there is only one effective way to deal with a Khaak destroyer, in something bigger, with bigger guns and bigger shields! Some of the points Yezariel made the other day in your thread about the Xennon killing Panther apply very much to this scenario. The Khaak destroyer's weapons have limited range, about 1.5km less than a PSP, if you have a long ship with turrets way infront you can gain another 1km, the Destroyer can do a top top speed of 62 and you can do 10 backwards, so its only gaining at 50. So you can actually pound on it for a while before it gets a chance to recipricate. By backing up rather than racing forward you effectively double the amount of time you are hitting it for free.

Last edited by cellestial; 09-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Catra      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

the eerie thing about this story is...

thats almost -exactly- how my first encounter with the khaak went down

only difference is that i was just in my scout craft lookin for opportunity sectors to place down factories video enhancement goggles really help with threat assesment

EDIT: @ cellestial

the problem with the khaak and trying to "hide" is that only the gamma kyon emitters are visible, the beta and alpha ones are not shown and apparently can be shot from -anywhere- on the ship (atleast..thats what it feels like lol..no matter the angle of approach ive got the 3 gamma kyons and like 12 beta / alpha kyon emitters unloading on my ship when i get close enough)

Last edited by Catra; 09-07-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Blog Entries

I'm thinking guns. Very big guns.

Back to Thresher with PPC or Shrike with Gauss Cannon.

BTW - I tried the hide in the factory technique, but the Destroyer has much more accurate fire than the Corvettes do, it didn't miss my Panther very often and it had the Panther out ranged. And unless you are by a shipyard you can't quick dock a Panther!

I have to get my damge rate up, and/or rate of fire.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Gululu Li      £ 0.00
      The Web... Duh! (Barren Shores, actually...)
      Blog Entries

You should sign up as a writer on TXU and write fanfiction

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Blog Entries

Thanx, that sounds cool, but I would need some more of the back story to have a good go at that.

Credits
      is relieved to be back!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Quasar - {SM} Points for Social Group Messages      £ 0.00

nice story PB... and well written...

I for one would like to encourage you to write similar things more often!

please

Help make this site even better! Donate >>here<< to TXU and become a TXU Chartered Member
      Please use the "reputation points system": (the star below left) so people can see who helps the most.