I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

cellestial      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther
      Blog Entries

Default Best M1's and load-outs

Hi,

Starting to look at Carriers, what they potentially bring to the combat arena, whether they are of use, what peoples experiences have been.

Also looking for peoples views on what the best carrier is and why along with peoples suggestions for loading them out.

Cheers,

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

There is no spoon... erm... there is no M1 in TC.

The only "carrier" is the Split Panther, and that's an overpowered M7. Everything else calling itself "carrier" is just a piece of junk metal, including the Tokyo, Odin and J. The M1 class is a complete desaster. The next best carrier to the Panther is the Ryu. Everything else is not worth to be even considered. Towing around an Argon/Teladi trading station is as effective as using a M1. If you're fast enough and get it to swing around crrectly, you can even kill a K by hitting it with the station, that's more fun than using a M1

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Gululu Li      £ 0.00
      The Web... Duh! (Barren Shores, actually...)
      Blog Entries

I oddly like what they did to the M1 class. Its great that they can no longer equipt PPCs in thier back turrets, because that made crunching M2s a (cheap) breeze. The point of the carrier is not to engage in direct combat anyway :P. My favourites are the Shark and the Odin. The shark is great for its ICs and its general cheapness, while the Odin is great for its power. The Tokyo i view to be overpowered.
      Actually, i prefer carriers in TC to destroyers because they add a great challange. To increase your experience, try the CODEA mod :P.

The reason many people don't like M1s is thier lack of frontal PPC. People just don't like to stratagize and would rather crush things in 10 seconds with M2s. IMO they've become carriers, not battlecruisers, which was why Egosoft eliminated the all-round PPCs, to fufill the roles they should have had in the first place. But thats just my opinion.

I agree with one thing, the panther is an overpowered M7

Last edited by Gululu Li; 15-07-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Removed "disasters" because dat does not apply to dis case ^.-

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Catra      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gululu Li View Post
      battlecruisers

I agree with one thing, the panther is an overpowered M7

firstly..the destroyers in X2:the threat were battlecruisers, they could dock 5 fighters(may sound insignificant...but when they all had gamma weapons..it was usually enough to hold off anything)so you could completely ignore anti fighter weaponry,

secodly, the panther is indeed very overpowered for a "light" carrier, kinda like the OTAS "light" destroyer LOL

the tokyo is a pretty awesome "survival"carrier EX: a xenon K was beatin on me for quite awhile before i even realized my shields were fallin, and by that time i was out of their weapons range LOL. in anything else i wouldve been panicking and hoping my jumpdrive would reach 100% before i took hull damage. its shields and shield regen is truly magnificient.

im tryin to like the split raptor...but the weak shielding is jus a turnoff for such an huge vessel thatll get ripped apart if it trys to turn.

the paranid zeus...unlike the other M1s, the zeus can mount more heavy weaponry, in the form of their phased shockwave generators. even though theyre short range weapons..unless your fighting other paranids, you ARE going to win the second youre in range.

the boron shark,....hmmmmmm.....with all its ion weaponry (most notable the 8 mountable ICs) it -really- is one of the most helpful fighter support carriers there is.once those cannons take down the shields (which is like..2 volleys LOL)byebye dangerous weapons,which then your fighters can go for the kill.

the teladi condor is, like everything teladi, HUGE and slow.it also has a very good selection of weapons to choose from(most are only medium to light weapons, but the heavy weapons selection include the paranid shockwave generator.)also has a sizeable cargobay for missile storage for you + your fighters.

i havent seen the pirate or yaki M1s (or..anything above corvette really)so no comment on them.

that covers the M1 class.

@galder

i lold....for a very long time.the thought of seeing a ship using a station as a mace is jus WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY funny

-offtopic? i suppose LOL-
      aiwjfapifjoasemnfofhnwofmiowafn i keep calling the paranids, the tyranids, i play too much WH40k >.<
      -/offtopic? i suppose LOL-

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Gululu Li      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

What about the colossus? Does it not get any love, Catra?

EDIT:
      Quote Originally Posted by Catra View Post
      the tokyo is a pretty awesome "survival"carrier
      "survival carrier," eh? Yeah, and its also an awesome "fighter carrier" (50), "High-Power Carrier" (10,000 Gen) "Strong Weapons Battery Carrier" (300k), "Fast Carrier" (?? but high anyways) "Superior Shielded Carrier..."
      ...etc.

PS: And don't forget about it also being an: "All that and more whilst being cheap chep CHEAP!!!! Carrier..."

Last edited by Gululu Li; 15-07-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Galder Points for Reputation (Received)      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

CODEA mod is simply cheating to me. lucike did some great scripts, this one is just to add an "i win" button. I'd rather prefer to use Cycrows cheat package instead of this. The real challenge about a carrier is to manage everything with what you get.

Also, there are no real challenges in TC. There are max 2 capships per sector, nothing very special. As a bonus, they changed the turret scripts to attack the nearest enemy 5 drones and the complete wing gets through without a single hit. Add the completely overpowered PBGs and this is a cruel joke.

No, there is no M1, just trash cans big enough to transport some fighters.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Gululu Li      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

In your opinion, Galder, what do YOU think would make the M1 class better??? Frontal heavy weapons, better shield gens... etc.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Catra      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

WARNING: long post ahead
      you have been warned

Quote Originally Posted by Gululu Li View Post
      What about the colossus? Does it not get any love, Catra?

EDIT:

"survival carrier," eh? Yeah, and its also an awesome "fighter carrier" (50), "High-Power Carrier" (10,000 Gen) "Strong Weapons Battery Carrier" (300k), "Fast Carrier" (?? but high anyways) "Superior Shielded Carrier..."
      ...etc.

PS: And don't forget about it also being an: "All that and more whilst being cheap chep CHEAP!!!! Carrier..."
      i refuse to acknowledge the existence of the argon colossus, the ONLY one ive ever seen was Argon one, makin me think they dont like their own carrier ship.

fighters are...ugh forget the massed fighters LOL it took -weeks- to find weaponry for ALL those terran fighters.(inb4 "well use the L's of other races)those are subpar next to terran fighters

the weapons battery (while VERY high) is also very wasted.but then again..if that could be allocated to shields..the carrier could be even closer to unbeatable,as it is ya need like..3 destroyers and a flotilla of other smaller ships or 2 of anything boron that can use ion weapons LOL

in CMOD the speed is 90..which is pretty nice :P and i can understand why its so cheap, afterall it IS a retrofitted ice miner TL class (and i see ALOT of those flying about)

@galder,

the CODEA mod is far from "i win",
      with the Xtreme mode of CMOD (which adds a multiplier of 6 to enemy fighter spawns and a multiplier of 3 to capital class spawns),

race patrol mod (which calls in more ships if you wish to pick a fight),

race response fleets (which jus bum rushes you with UNLIMITED SHIPS from the MIDDLE of a sector instead of from a gate if you choose to fight),

improved races (mostly kha'ak which can jump from any point in space to right next to your ship to backhand slap you,
      the Xenon scouts kamikazing your ships and spraying like 50 tracking missiles when they die AND their carriers "produce" these ships,
      the yaki and their giant deathstar turret that can 1 shot anything.)also the kha'ak, Xenon and yaki takeover sectors and build their own stations there.

the improved pilot AI that CODEA gives...is -very- needed against that and really...it barely...barely...-barely- helps LOL
      for the past like 5 hours..the 60 + skirmishes ive been in..outta 35 fighters(CODEA attack fighters..the rest are interceptors thatll kill anything that targets the carrier itself) only a handful survive(if i even win the battle LOL, alot of times i cant)..and even less are able to eject and live to be picked up. at around the 20th skirmish i -absolutely- had to use cycrows cheat package to clone ships or else i wouldnt be able to keep up with fighter demands.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

Gululu Li      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

All m1s are basically retrofitted TLs it seems.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Badman76 - {M} Points for Thread Ratings Received      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

In modern combat strategy the 'carrier' are supposed to be what their names suggest - just a platform to carry fighters in large numbers to any point where they are needed. They are nothing more than a mobile military airport.

Beside the russian 'carriers' (more 'flightdeck-cruisers than real carriers) the todays aircraft carrier have almost no offensive weapon system on board. And they don't need them. The over all most powerful weapon is the air superiority the aircraft and helicopters provide. The aircraft carry some longe range weapons such as anti-ship- and anti aircraft missiles, heavy bombs against surface targets and multiple surveilance systems. They create some kind of bubble around the carrier and in combination with a fine radar no enemy can stay unharmed in that bubble. There are several close range defense systems but they are nothing more then a concession to the fact it is a military craft.

Carriers are supposed to operate in formation with a whole group of other ships. They protect the the 'mobile airport' against enemy submarines and torpedos. Nothing else is a thread to a carrier. They are big but fast and with a full load of more than 100 aircrafts they are able to project the power and will of the owner to almost any point in the world that in a thousend or more kilometer range of a shore.

You can take that strategy and put it right into the X-universe. The M1 are still way to heavy armed. I would like to see them as a mobile start/land/repair facility almost unarmed and therefore in need to operate in formation with a group of M7 and M6 vessels. The price is balanced but the repairs must be available from the carrier. They should be a bit faster in my opinion but less armed and heavy shielded. The M1 need to have a fast starting and landing sequence for the fighters. Fast in - fast out. In that way they will become more useful in the way they are supposed to be.

Therefor i think Galder is almost right - currently no (real) M1 is available. I don't know if he meant it that way but I thing the carriers are all overpowered in weapons and leak in number of fighter and starting/ landing capacity.

B76

I have no words, ... my voice is in my sword! (W.S. "MacBeth")