• Angry
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: XTM and official X3R Linux (Steam)

Credits
      is approaching maximum entropy.

I am:
      Tired

Total Contributions For

Raider480      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

Default XTM and official X3R Linux (Steam)

I guess I'll be the first to ask, has anyone checked that the files from the executable XTM installer, and command line version of the Plugin Manager, will work with the (new) Linux Reunion? I've been messing with the Plugin Manager, but the Ego thread about the Linux version hasn't been bumped in more than two months. I know it might be a little early to ask, but most of the bugs being ironed out (upstream as it were) seem to be hardware related.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

etonbears      £ 0.00

The Steam Linux Version of X3R is in beta test. Most of the function bugs seem to be out, and there has been some performance enhancement, but I'm not sure how much more will be done, as TC/AP also need to be ported.

I have loaded XTM over X3R 2.5 + Bonus Pack. The install works EXCEPT the scripts are put in a directory called "Scripts" rather than "scripts". You can start a game and do many of the things you would expect in XTM but many of the new or altered sectors cause aCTD on entry. My suspicion is that there may be further file name incompatibilities since these would go unnoticed on a Microsoft filesystem, which are case insensitive.

I have not looked any further into this yet.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Fabi2607      £ 0.00

I started testing the mod today and I will post as soon as I find file incompatibilities or bugs.

EDIT:
      Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to work with Build 13 of the Linux Client.
      At first I forgot to move the scripts to the scripts folder, game started fine, but obviously did not have XTM content.
      After moving the scripts to the right folder, the game crashes every time I try to start a new game.
      So it seems to be a problem with the some of the scripts.
      If anyone knows were I might find logfiles or could give any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated. @etonbears which build did you use?

Last edited by Fabi2607; 04-04-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

etonbears      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Fabi2607 View Post
      I started testing the mod today and I will post as soon as I find file incompatibilities or bugs.

EDIT:
      Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to work with Build 13 of the Linux Client.
      At first I forgot to move the scripts to the scripts folder, game started fine, but obviously did not have XTM content.
      After moving the scripts to the right folder, the game crashes every time I try to start a new game.
      So it seems to be a problem with the some of the scripts.
      If anyone knows were I might find logfiles or could give any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated. @etonbears which build did you use?
      I created a fresh install by taking a copy of the Steam X3R 13.3 directory. I then unzipped the file x3_bonus_package_3.1.07.tar.bz2 ( which is in the Steam X3R directory ) to add the bonus package. This is the basic setup that XTM 0.7.5 expects IRRC.

I used the FULL installation of XTM 0.7.5 from http://www.thexuniverse.com/content/...e-X-Tended-Mod

I ran this exe file under wine to install the content to a temporary directory, amended the uppercase "Scripts" directory to lowercase "scripts" and copied the lot over the existing install.

At this point if you run X3R you should get the XTM startup screens and the option to start a new game. If you try one of the new XTM starts you may have a game for a while, depending on which you try.

Some of the XTM starts will ALWAYS start in the same sector; if this is a "bad" sector, then that start will ALWAYS give an immediate crash. Similarly, if it is a "good" sector, you will always be able to start the game. The default XTM start puts you in Argon Prime with a buster, and always works for me. Conversely, the Kha'ak XTM start starts in a bad sector, and always crashes.

Other XTM starts will select a sector randomly from a list ( e.g. Boron Tours starts in a random Boron sector ). These will sometimes start and other times not.

If you do get a game going, I recommend you save before entering ANY new sector, and then keep a note of the bad sectors, so if you ever need to go into them you can remote control a second ship from OOS.

After trying several different starts, it is obvious that most of the time the crashes are restricted to particular sectors; just occasionally when flying in a "good" sector you get a crash. As most ( but not all ) of the sectors that have problems are new XTM ones, my guess is that some particular object causes the crash if it is present in a sector , or if it enters via a gate, or is spawned randomly in the sector.

It may be only one object type, or it may be many. it is impossible to know. So I started to note which new XTM objects seemed to be OK to try and narrow down the culprits. Ideally, one would get a list of new objects and cross off any you meet without a crash until you have met everything or identified the problem objects.

Personally, I have met many of the new Kha'ak, Xenon & Pirate ships as well as several "space creatures". I have also seen most of the new/changed ships of the 5 races. I have also seen most of the Terran ships, even though many of the easily accessible Terran worlds ( including Earth ) cause a crash. I started sending fast scout ships into bad sectors to explore, monitoring them from OOS to see what objects they find. Then my ( 5 month-old ) motherboard died, so I have not really done much more, as I have only just got myself back to playing condition.

Thinking about it, I guess with a list of new objects and the appropriate cheat script, you can probably spawn in-sector each item until you find what crashes. Of course, if the problem is anything more complex than one or more script files using incorrect capitalization, it is unlikely ever to be fixed, since it works fine under Windows.

For Information, the following are known "bad" sectors that I can remember : -
      1. Unknown sector N then W from Getsu Fune
      2. Unknown sector W then S from Maelstrom
      3. Ore Belt ( sometimes OK for a short while at start of game )
      4. Earth
      5. Moon
      6. Nathan's Keep
      7. Manticore

In manticore, I found 2 ships of new Kha'ak types just sitting doing nothing in an obvious location ( NE of 0,0,0 ); one of these, the Kha'ak Frigate is a type I have never consciously seen in-sector under Linux, so it was my latest suspect before my system failed.

NB. Timon37 updated to build 14 a couple of days ago, fixing a few bugs. I have not tried this version yet. If I get around to it I will post any changes I find.

Last edited by etonbears; 05-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Fabi2607      £ 0.00

Reinstalled, copied to new location, updated to build 14 still not working... (launch previous version crashes immediately, even in vanilla)
      I might be getting closer to one of the problems. When launching the XTM_Economic_Enthusiast (EDIT: Or any other start) the game crashes with a load error:
      Code:
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file types\fonts.txt
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440003.xml
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440004.xml
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440011.xml
      ../X3/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\gui_radar.dds
      ../X3/X3/client.cpp:2309: int Client::CL_GameLoop(): Assertion `CL_CallBlock.CB_Flags == 1' failed.
      And the files don't seem to exist in my X3R folder. I wonder why?

Also grep "440011" * -R doesn't return any reference to the file.
      Even downloading the X3 Editor did not produce any result. No wrong File/Folder names, but also none of the missing files.
      The only thing i noticed is a directory that is sometimes named L and sometimes l.

The Adobe plugin keeps crashing, otherwise I would upload a complete logfile.

Last edited by Fabi2607; 10-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

etonbears      £ 0.00

Default Build 15

Quote Originally Posted by Fabi2607 View Post
      Reinstalled, copied to new location, updated to build 14 still not working... (launch previous version crashes immediately, even in vanilla)
      I might be getting closer to one of the problems. When launching the XTM_Economic_Enthusiast (EDIT: Or any other start) the game crashes with a load error:
      Code:
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file types\fonts.txt
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440003.xml
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440004.xml
      SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440011.xml
      ../X3/X3/s_linux/sys_dds.cpp : S_ReadDDS : 174 : dds\gui_radar.dds
      ../X3/X3/client.cpp:2309: int Client::CL_GameLoop(): Assertion `CL_CallBlock.CB_Flags == 1' failed.
      And the files don't seem to exist in my X3R folder. I wonder why?

Also grep "440011" * -R doesn't return any reference to the file.
      Even downloading the X3 Editor did not produce any result. No wrong File/Folder names, but also none of the missing files.
      The only thing i noticed is a directory that is sometimes named L and sometimes l.

The Adobe plugin keeps crashing, otherwise I would upload a complete logfile.
      Many of the debug output lines are actually not important. Those "t" files dont exist on my system either.

The assertion is important 'though, since an assertion represents a condition that should never exist.

I also got the assertion with build 14 on one of my machines, and was about to post to the beta thread when I realised that steam had updated X3R to build 15.

So I tried it, and it seems that Timon37 has squashed the main bug that caused crashes ( at least on my desktop, which is quite powerful ). I was able to start new XTM game starts that I previously could not, and able to visit systems that were previously off-llimits. That is not to say that everything is rosy, since I found some XTM content had some interesting visual artifacts ( such as a huge pulsating white ring in the Manticore system ), but at least at first glance build 15 seems to work without regular crashing.

I hope it works for you too. ( Don't forget to do a clean install : build 15 , then extract the bonus package, then add XTM ).

TTFN

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Fabi2607      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by etonbears View Post
      Many of the debug output lines are actually not important. Those "t" files dont exist on my system either.

The assertion is important 'though, since an assertion represents a condition that should never exist.

I also got the assertion with build 14 on one of my machines, and was about to post to the beta thread when I realised that steam had updated X3R to build 15.

So I tried it, and it seems that Timon37 has squashed the main bug that caused crashes ( at least on my desktop, which is quite powerful ). I was able to start new XTM game starts that I previously could not, and able to visit systems that were previously off-llimits. That is not to say that everything is rosy, since I found some XTM content had some interesting visual artifacts ( such as a huge pulsating white ring in the Manticore system ), but at least at first glance build 15 seems to work without regular crashing.

I hope it works for you too. ( Don't forget to do a clean install : build 15 , then extract the bonus package, then add XTM ).

TTFN
      Yes everything seems to be working fine with build 15 (at least not crashing), finally I can play XTM again
      You can't imagine how I frustrated I got and how many clean installs I tried...