Thread: Help with hardware problems

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

sajjukar      £ 0.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

The power is on auto and while here i can see it fluctuate from 1.65v to 1.71 and if i set it to manual at 1.65 it usualy stays here.Changin the pc yes that is the only option and to be onest it itnst 10 years old...there where non 3200+ in the year 2003...in 2002 i bought a pc 3 times slower thatn this one for a small fortune so it isnt very old.

TXU's resident chatbox text fiend....... Tritous's Avatar
      Credits
      is Dead.

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Tritous      £ 5.00

Quote Originally Posted by sajjukar View Post
      -if the memory was damaged it wont work at all no matter what frequency il register...200/166/133 or multiplyer
      -cpu also...a damaged cpu wont work or be less or more stable depending in with mood its in...now it works at 200 fsb for over 4 hours and 2 stress tests.
      -hdd...not an issue because when it missbehaved it wont load windows....i would even get reboots in bios when atempting to lower the clock
      -gpu...absolutly not because 2 extremly different vido cards do not behave identical - not posible
      -psu brand new tho 400w is a bit low but my system dosent need much power...as you said its pretty antique
      -this leaves the mobo but its hard to test it...
      some things wrong with what you said:

depending on the damage a CPU can be varying stability depending on what you do. E.g. if there is damage in a particular part of the L2 Cache it will only trigger a fault when you are using your cache. Don't assume that 100% in the performance monitor is a true 100%: 100% cache testing, memory write and hold patterns, and pushing the FSB to full capacity are completley different tests, and I've never seen or heard of something which checks all of them.

HDD: sorry, you are wrong on this one: HD problems are very frequently only with single sectors and they are hard to distinguish from overheats unless you find the fault ID in your event monitor (another thing worth checking)

gpu: if you are modifying voltages and bus speeds it may also affect the stability of your PCI bus depending on your mobo design.

PSU: 400w is very low, and this is a possible cause too. Your generation was the highest power load, before the DDR3 generation which put a lot of focus on power reduction and lower heat.

Plus a simple fact: if you overclock, even if it works you are doing fatigue damage to your devices. low load, stable use, and long life are the opposite to what you get from overclocking of any sort. If you are having problems with your memory speed: you've probably got the wrong memory type for your processor FSB, your hard disk should never be having issues with cpu speed as it's an independent bus, and your power connector itself should not be getting hot unless you have some serious leakage current (there is no such thing as leaking heat).

There is a reason why the mobo companies remove all guarantees if you manipulate any clocking. I'm also worried that you completely fried a PSU: it's a very high risk that the death of a PSU by burnout means arcing or a short, meaning surge currents which can do massive damage to the mobo and anything on it. Honestly, from what you've described and from what experience and training I have: I would say you've probably got damage to multiple parts of your pc. Keep the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, the rest you should doubt if it will survive.

If you do build a new computer, don't overclock it at all. stock intel is quite a notch better than stock AMD these days, there are some cheaper graphics cards around which can handle current generation gaming (you pay more if you want to secure your rig for future gaming), a reliable mobo with good peripherals, and a 500GB+ disk is not that expensive. Keep your current disk as a second disk until you've transferred your files across. Be sure to get DDR3 memory, 1333 or 1600 is up to what you want to pay, matched pairs always and consider getting a 15 or so CPU heatsink if you plan to use it heavily. I can honestly say that is the safest bet, because your current machine is probably going to only get worse.

10 PRINT IDLE
      20 GOTO 10

"Intelligence is like money: when you pass it on to your kids you lose it for yourself"
      -Me, tired

TXU Wiki:
      Because we are a community

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

zazie      £ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by sajjukar View Post
      ...there where non 3200+ in the year 2003...in 2002 i bought a pc ...
      I did not want to insult you in any way. Just facts. Barton 3200+ was released in 2003 => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors . OT: set tge Power to manual and leave it at 1,675 (if possible in BIOS). That will do. It's not overclocked, but more stable.