• Angry
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: X-Rebirth is finally here. What are your initial impressions?

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

thetack - {M}      £ 180.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

on the ego site 2." RC3
      note the 64 bit part

Release Notes

Version 2.20 RC3 (184360)

NEW: The 64-bit EXE is now the default. See below for more information.
      Fixed Secret Service missions constantly reminding player to talk to mission actor.
      Fixed campaign progressing unexpectedly when docking at station.
      Fixed player occasionally being in wrong position on platform when loading savegame.
      Fixed trade offers on player ships/stations occasionally not appearing in trade menu.
      Fixed claimed ships not showing up in property menu.
      Fixed ships continuing to move when ordered to wait.
      Fixed trade orders not being executed when ship has been ordered to wait.
      Fixed various cases of drones being unable to dock/return.
      Fixed missing docking bay on Wheat Plantation.
      Fixed missing container storage on Pharma-Spice Farm.
      RC3 Fixed missing MK2 weapons after completing plot.
      Fixed map not showing player stations.
      Fixed incorrect positions of some elements on map.
      Fixed menu slider controls breaking under certain circumstances.
      Fixed controls no longer working when opening ability menu on a platform.
      Fixed controller A-button not working after having left the cockpit while an interactive notification was displayed.
      Fixed station under construction becoming invisible after Alt-Tab.
      Fixed a leak causing savegames to grow slowly in size over time.
      Fixed several causes of occasional crashes.

64-bit

We are now sufficiently confident about the 64-bit version of the game to make this the default. Both 64-bit and 32-bit versions now include this information in the game's start menu. If you encounter any problems with 64-bit and would like to try reverting to 32-bit then you can subscribe to the 32-bit "beta" using the Steam client. Instructions for accessing the 32-bit "beta" can be found in this thread.

Note: The system requirements for the game have always stated that it requires a 64-bit version of Windows, and that future updates for the 32-bit version are not guaranteed indefinitely.

We suggest that if you create a savegame in 64-bit you use that savegame with subsequent 64-bit-versions only and do not load it into a 32-bit version. While we do not know of any issues in practice with savegames between the two versions, there is a theoretical possibility that you might corrupt your savegame to a point where it cannot be restored if you load a 64-bit savegame into a 32-bit version.

Steam does not currently support automatic crashdump upload for 64-bit applications. We are therefore using a third party tool to provide this facility. If there is a crash then a standard crashdump will be created and uploaded to the third party site, from where we can perform analysis to determine the cause. As with Steam crashdumps no personal information is included in these crashdumps.

Note: The primary aim of the 64-bit version is to remove the memory limitations of 32-bit. This should improve stability, because the game is less likely to run out of memory, and reduce stutter, because certain essential assets that cannot be loaded in the background can stay in memory for longer. It is not likely to significantly improve general performance, though it's possible that it may do so for certain people under certain circumstances.

thetack

Credits
      is Making Holiday baskets of
      Space Fuel Jugs and Roasted
      Space Fly Baskets as gifts....
      PFfft!!!

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

Mangar - {M} Points for Shouts      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iniochos View Post
      I haven't played the new version (2.0).
      However, I have talked to friends who have bought the game and continue to play, not all of them anymore, who told me the following issues:

1. The target lock, remains away than it was in previous games.
      2. During sharp turns your ship comes to 0 speed.
      3. Your ship's cargo remains unlimited.
      4. The radar cannot locate small items in front of you. you have to change the radar mode.
      5. The radar is in its primitive form.

The above mentioned are some of the issues which were had been discussed during our conversation.
      If indeed it is so, then we are far from the "desired" target.
      I have decided to put rebirth on the shelf. Once people start moding the rebirth full version to new missions, maps, weapons and ships, then it will be time to play it and get lost in the game for the first time.

debugging and testing a game over and over and over can be a major kill joy for game play (cause you know what is going to happen!!!)

Kind of like working on the set of LOTR seeing every clip shot " you know they have film but not the order or bloopers to be use.....<<< That person will never experience the thrill of the first time watching the story movie.

Same goes with game community lead to de bugging a game, you lose all your first time player "hoorah" shared on the boards.

Last edited by Mangar; 26-06-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Hmmm....there was something I wanted to mutter....must not be important after all
      [ Fluently verse in mutterings, babblings and ramblings ]

"Never confuse education with intelligence." - unknown

Credits
      is Quite Bonkers

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

ytene      £ 475.00

Not sure if anyone is interested, but the latest email from Egosoft - to coincide with a new, v2.51 release, makes some mention about the ability to "pre-order" some DLC for Rebirth. There's a video in which Bernd says something to the effect that if users "pre-register" for the DLC before release, then it will be offered to them for free.

There are a few other things in the video, such as a demonstration that the 2.51 release of the game now re-instates the external view of the player ship. Of course since the only player ship is the Skunk [ahem] it's not such a big deal. [ Kidding: I expect it to work with slaved ships too].

Seriously, though... I just wish that Egosoft would come up with a strategy announcement to tell us how they will scrap the #### parts of the game and just restore the bits that made earlier editions of the game so much fun...

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

thetack - {M}      £ 180.00

the preorder is for a FREE DLC for registered owners or Rebirth as long as you order it before the release of patch 3.0 and the Teladi DLC.
      the patch is going to be advalable to all of course but i think by the look of it once its out you will need to pay for the DLC.
      the trouble you have is that what you think is **** bernd thinks are the great parts of the new game

Credits
      is intrigued

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

superdave      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

well, its been out for a few months now and i kinda like the direction they are taking in implementing features from older x games (like the sidebar menu, external view) and im happy to see that egosoft has readily acknowledged what a p.o.s. the initial release was, and are working at a moderate pace to repair/improve a game that a) capitalizes on a franchise that it bears little resemblance to and b) is intended to bring new life to said franchise by bringing in new fans.
      what worries me about this franchise, however, is that it may be about the be outshone by several upcoming titles in the same vein.
      one of the things that ive always enjoyed about the x series is the community made content that inevitably shows up in a good title. many mods generally means many happy players, and this game doesnt seem to have either. the steam workshop (yes, i know its not the only source for mods, but it is generally one of the best sources for titles in their library) only has so far 87 mods for this title, and many of them are just tweaks/bug fixes for the original title.
      i believe also that the teladi outpost "dlc" is lifted directly from the workshop, as there was a similar item on there till recently. the original started players with quite a few more ships and a pile of capital to get started, however, and wasnt much fun in that it was way too easy a start. kudos to egosoft for spotting a great idea when one was presented, but if this was taken from the workshop i would expect more credit to the original author.
      another thing that ive always loved about the x series is its feature rich interfaces, in spite of the steep learning curve that comes with these things. there was almost nothing you couldnt do within the universe, and once you figured out how to do it you could often set up another ship to do it for you automatically (like trade routes, or station stocking). in this iteration of the series, it seems they have revamped a lot of the features included and that comes with yet another steep learning curve (which, yet again, is not quite covered comprehensively enough in the tutorials included), but it also seems they have taken a lot of the automation out of the game as well. there is a mod for traders, however, so once again the community steps in to save the day (sort of). you can buy trade agents for ships, and have them work for you. they are pricey but that just makes them more of a reward.
      so my first impression was "what the hell are you doing, egosoft?". that changed to "ooh... at least you are gonna fix some stuff. this game could be neat!". now im thinking ... "why bother, so many nicer titles are on the horizon."

what are the odds that the XXR project will see the light of day? im sure you guys could take this game and turn it into something not only playable, but enjoyable as well!

"Speculation is as speculation does, i guess"
      if hydrogen is a flammable gas, and oxygen accelerates fire, why isnt water explosive?
      rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.