• Angry
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • User Tag List

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Rebirth is finally here. What are your initial impressions?

Credits
      is Satisfied with my Xmas gifts

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

merclord      £ 5.00
      Main InfoStatus and ThingsPoints and CreditsOther

When I saw the trailer I was expecting X3 on steroids, but when I sat down and actually played the game I realized that all I got was X2 on acid... This game is a confusing mess. Things that were supposed to be better than X3 TC are in fact much much worse. And here is probably the biggest problem with this game and why I don't think that even the modding community can or will even bother trying to re-purpose this into something enjoyable: Star Citizen. Yup, a single screen shot of a game that is still 2 years away totally blows this game out of the water. Even while I was watching the trailer for X: Rebirth, in the back of my mind I was comparing it to what I've seen already from Star Citizen and it was like comparing a freshly painted Ford Pinto to a show room Lamborghini.

Had this game even come close to living up to the hype then I would have been happy and I would never have mentioned SC. But this initial release is so awful and disappointing I can't help but think about how fantastic SC looks compared to it. Now I'm not saying that SC is definitely going to be better because it hasn't been completed yet. But there is probably a 99% chance that it will be.

I read another forum discussion recently comparing the budgets between these two games, and from the 2 hours that I've put into X: Rebirth, I would say their budget was under $30,000. It seems like the reason it took so long to be released is because they were working on other projects that kept the company going and worked on this project in their spare time. Also, I'm pretty sure that SC will be better because the entire game community (over 100k people) is telling Chris Roberts and his team what is wrong from the very first line of code, not just a handful of select handful of game testers.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. My only hope is that now that so many like myself have been suckered into paying full price, that egosoft will take all of that money and re-invest it back into this game and not wait on the modding community to do it for free. Because personally, if I were a modder I would not waste my time on this because there's just too much that needs to be fixed/redesigned. I would just wait for SC to be released because even if that game is awful at the start, it will at least have some of the best graphics to work with. The modders could waste 2 years just redrawing rebirth.

What a shame. From where I am sitting, this rebirth is in desperate need of a "rebirth"....

If it doesn't make credits.... It doesn't make sense....

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Dakkan      £ 0.00

Everything Eliah said. All of it. That's been my experience/frustrations summed up as well.

Also, and I know everyones' playing experience differs in earlier games, I really liked flying different ships. Piloting a capital ship was exhilarating in all situations, using external camera view and complex strafe jets and roll during combat to avoid a nasty volley of enemy fire. It was like controlling a whale. A murderous, armored, decked-to-the-teeth whale.
      Now we're reduced to flying a Skunk.

And why are you looting your own trading ship? And why does no one care that you seem to be raiding haphazardly through storage containers, while carrying massive amounts of equipment on your back? I continually heard about "immersion" in the new game, but if you can't really give orders or look for new employees over long distance, why can I teleport stolen goods from my person? But then again there are way too many instances of that whole "immersion" goal being worse than the older X games.

I don't particularly care for the cockpit view either, but I want to give it time to grow on me. When I'm trying to see enemy ships and frantically click them due to the lack of a "target nearest enemy" shortcut, I do not have much of a choice but to curse and scream at it.

There are some things that are pretty cool so far though. With bad features/problems, mind you, so they're still bleh. I really like the idea and majority of the space lane travel. It does feel like the next evolution of gates. It feels seemless as you travel huge distances. But I do not like the current "minigame" employed while using them. I'd much rather it scrapped and just have a single lane that you could fight in, maneuver around, things of this nature. Not drafting behind some ship that, from my observations watching a gate exit, doesn't even exist. Other than to be part of that minigame, mind you. Immersion.

Visually I do like it, the stations are sprawling, ships you cannot fly are massive, the stars are fantastic. But the cockpit view just detracts from the awe, makes it harder to take it all in when you spin around lazily to look at everything. This feels like tunnel vision suddenly. Before, the X interface seemed like some sort of holographic display that you, the pilot, were seeing.

Don't get the order of my rant wrong, I'm definitely more disappointing than happy about this game, but I still wanted to end on the pseudo-positive notes because I have hope still for additional game aspects being fixed/improved, and I don't want to crush anyone elses on-the-fence's hopes. What is station building like? Fleet control? Other things that I can't come up with from sheer, bubbling rage building up behind my eyes? Once some of the major bugs are fixed I'm sure improvements are coming, either via official or modded (Modded. They're coming via modded.) but until then I feel slightly masochistic, forcing myself to play this game to try and enjoy certain aspects of it.

But the ship looks like-

Credits
      is Satisfied with my Xmas gifts

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

merclord      £ 5.00

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkan View Post
      forcing myself to play this game to try and enjoy certain aspects of it.
      I think everyone that purchased this game for full price is in the same boat; We bought it. We are stuck with it. So even if we don't like it we are going to "force" ourselves to play it. At least until we feel we have gotten our money's worth...

If it doesn't make credits.... It doesn't make sense....

Credits
      is Quite Bonkers

I am:
      Crazy

Total Contributions For

ytene      £ 475.00

Default Desperately Disappointed

This is turning out to be a depressing weekend for gaming. First, my Nexus Mod Manager has imploded, so I'm unable to manage my Skyrim mods. Then I took delivery of Rebirth...

Let's try to be honest and fair.

Pro's:

The game looks absolutely beautiful from a "grand, scenic perspective". There are lots of little touches that I really love, but things that have caught my eye so far include the energy surges and effects around the jump gates, the way that cargo scanners produce a fan of short-range rays that flicker as your vessel is viewed, the lovely little glowing red-and-blue lights as the Law pulls over some lowlife criminal. These are beautiful things, and they work well.

Although I've yet to have a chance to interact with them, the capital ships do look lovely. Plenty of polygons, plenty of subtlety in the design, and the way that they move definitely looks to be better than earlier editions. It really does give the impression that the pilot is nervously watching his/her clearances as they move through tight spaces. I also like the way that the big ships line up alongside a station and that goods are ferried across using a cluster of smaller ships and/or drones. That works really, really well.

Sadly, that's about it with respect to positive points.

Con's

Keyboard Controls
      I am left-handed, so instead of using keys like W, A, S, D, Z and X to control movement, I like to use I, J, K, L and M... Except I can't. For reasons I cannot understand [I am guessing it's a key binding clash] I cannot use the I key to move forwards. I have had to substitute "9", but that's uncomfortable, and the game gives me no explanation.

Hardware Support
      I use a Logitech Wingman joystick, which I bought in order to play X:Beyond The Frontier, and which I've used with every ES game - and others - ever since. It doesn't work with Rebirth. Even after I reconfigure the game to recognise the joystick's throttle, moving the joystick to "full throttle" actually makes the skunk fly backwards. Playing the game requires me to use a combination of the joystick for attitude and keys for throttle. This is clumsy and uncomfortable.

The above 2 issues force me to conclude that Bernd's total focus for this game was the console marketplace. Worse, Egosoft are holding back on a platform release until they have all the bugs ironed out by the PC platform gamers - their hardcore, loyal fan-base. Way to go, Egosoft. Write a game for a different platform, and get existing users to test it for you. Thanks.

Nested Menus
      It's so totally obvious that the game has been written with the intent to port it to the X-Box, so ES have limited their player input to what can be achieved with a console controller, not a keyboard. Unfortunately, this has totally ruined the game for the PC marketplace, because getting even the most trivial things done now takes 5 times as long as before, because you have to navigate through dross to get what you want.

First Person Activities
      OK, I've read elsewhere that there is derision at the "same-ness" of the landing pads of all stations. I'm actually not bothered by that. I didn't buy a space similator to spend all my time on stations, and I am sure that this is something that a well-designed and well-written, modular game, can address with patches and updates as time permits. So that's fine for me... However, the introduction of NPCs has been so incredibly badly executed. The problem that Egosoft created for themselves is that they came late-to-the-party with these features. We've all seen and/or played Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3. We've all seen and/or played Elder Scrolls:Oblivion and Elder Scrolls:Skyrim. This means that we understand that you can write useful, immersive characters, who move, who have deep and interesting dialogue, who can be "spontaneous", and who, frankly, actually look like real, live people or creatures... Instead, ES seem to have produced a game with badly-animated characters who don't move, and for whom interaction requires players to use awful, nested menus.

Clearly this goes back to the point about this being a "Console" title... but think about that. Bethesda produce Skyrim for PS/3, XBox and the PC, and it's good on all platforms. There *are* good ways to do this, but for reasons I don't understand, Egosoft seem to have chosen to ignore them. Such a shame.

Game Design - Highways
      When Bernd announced that SETA would be replaced with "Highways" [or whatever] I watched the consternation in our community, but decided to "wait and see". I was wrong. Highways are a truly awful idea and should never have been included. Not only do they look completely stupid, it seems that they have been introduced to serve only one purpose, which is to suggest the scale of the universe by allowing us to "look off into the distance" and see the highway reaching remote parts of a sector. In other words, a device introduced to give a sense of scale. Let's ignore the fact that they have trivialised this and made it offensive by trying to include a "mini game" of hopping between lanes behind faster-moving craft. That's just insulting, so I'll ignore it. But the introduction of this feature has in one swift stroke removed the "I can go anywhere" capability of SETA. In X3, If I wanted to build a factory complex 500km above the plane of a sector, I could. It would take me an age to fly there and back, but I could do it. With Rebirth, it feels like I am stuck using highways. I hate it.

Game Design - Ship Controls/Visuals
      From the pilot's seat, so much of space before the player is blanked out by cruddy-looking instruments that it spoils the view. There does not appear to be a mechanism like the "F1" function key of earlier releases in the older game to allow me a 3rd-person view of my ship, yet there's no obvious reason why this would be withdrawn. Hint for Egosoft: that was a cool feature - it was a great way for players to get a screen shot of their favourite ship in a good location, or in combat, to use as a desktop wallpaper image. <sarcasm>Thanks so much for taking that away.</sarcasm>

Game Design - Docking
      Others have noticed the bizarre and non-obvious requirement to double-click landing platforms before proceeding to dock, but has anyone else noticed that the game has vastly embedded menus for everything *except* docking. Why do I have to hunt around a vast station to find a platform? Why can't I just click on the station, select "Dock" from a menu, then get a second menu with a list of potential docking points? Why can't the game even be internally consistent with itself?

I am going to have to stop here. As I write so I can feel myself getting actually angry. I am annoyed that I was stupid enough to fork out good cash for a game "unseen". But most of all I am so bitterly disappointed that the guys at Egosoft took such a wonderful franchise, threw away all the best bits, and produced something that looks pretty but is so horrible to play.

Bottom line: unless Egosoft produce one *massive* set of patches to address playability - and not just fixing bugs and crashes, but actual game design - then I think I'll be consigning this to the bin. Waste of £65.

TXU Guys... Please don't stop support of XTC...

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Shy

Total Contributions For

Yautja      £ 0.00

^£40 on steam, £60 for collectors edition + upgrade!

Wasn't even waiting for this game, how I found out this game was out was nobody had posted back in the XTC Thread.
      Main complaints have already been made, Flight paths of the crashing Npcs , the menu being too simplified, to dock requiring double mouse click and the support for peripherals ( joypads, joysticks, extra mouse buttons not being allowed for config options)

Played a little and while there are annoying issues (*) for a newly released game overall not hating it, Yet!
      Graphics are gorgeous and locations are based around stations instead of vast open space, so interesting to see new things.
      Battles aren't too hard with the use of drones, considering they have twice the fire power of my Skunk at the moment, and as long as you fly right and stay within range don't need to replace them

Right now I'm waiting for my ship to deliver eCells though there are only 100, I could have put them on the Skunk... Don't even know how long it will take the cargo ship to deliver, on the map its moving extremely slow in another sector.

*Certain models have incorrect name paths at docks
      Eyes not moving correctly with heads, esp teladi
      Yisha's neck too long
      Getting locked in crew compartment of skunk as button stopped working, only way out is menu 5,5
      Random crashes
      Stations and people are all the same, seen many people that look like my captain and its annoying to hear the same lines repeated over and over
      Ship needing repairs after a misson when it was on 100%, it was dropped to 90% for no reason
      Stand too close to air duct grates and get trapped without being able to get away, with no auto save this can be a problem the first time.

Last edited by Yautja; 17-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Moderator Support King of the World's Avatar
      Credits
      is a quality planner <3

I am:
      Happy

Total Contributions For

King of the World      £ 0.00
      Blog Entries

At the moment I'm playing the game with English audio and text files. Why? The reason is that the German files were not fully implemented. Crazy stuff. To say this in German: Das abgelieferte ist ein wahres Armutszeugnis.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Total Contributions For

Xenon187 - {M}      £ 0.00

My 2 cents. Game isn't that bad. The only annoying thing to me is performance in Albion system. it rather nice in DeVries system (expecially close to sun sectors).

If you want get something done do it by yourself

My PC specs

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Char      £ 0.00

Its plain bad but it looks nice. There are some good concept ideas in it but many things are plain ****. They should have left everything like it was and only add the updated gfx, new and bigger sectors, these strange highways, a new plot and some new candy to play with.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Total Contributions For

Marodeur      £ 0.00
      Oberpfälzer Wald, dritter Baum links/Upper Palatinate Forest, third tree to the left

Played some hours. This game is in need of a new UI for keyboard and joystick control. And someone has to clean the game from this minigames. Some AI-drones which can scan the stations in a zone for me would be nice at least. I think there is potential but it needs some work.

Credits
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Shy

Total Contributions For

Yautja      £ 0.00

Are the X series races still in this game?
      I'd be disappointed if they weren't, whole point of introducing the interactive part of the game
      Only seen Human and Teladi so far and never walking around stations or doing anything of interest.